As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Michael Steele And The GOP - Have They Lost Their Grip On Sanity?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I knew Steele was going to be an endless source of entertainment ever since he apologized to Rush Limbaugh for saying he was just a radio host.

That was really a baffling situation. It's not like he called Rush a Chinese midget, or a Right-wing nut, or whatever. Like, it would've made more sense if people got mad at Steele for saying that Rush is overweight. Which still would've been one of those moments people need to settle down but at least it happens enough that it seems like a regular reaction.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, speaking of the GOP...

I just got a mail from my dad talking about a recent Glenn Beck segment where he's ranting about an executive order that loans $2 billion to Brazil for off shore drilling, which will exclusively be for China's use. Anyone else heard this?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes, from my crazy conspiracy theory mother who loves Glenn and Rush.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hm... ok. I'm curious to research a little behind it, though. The included WSJ article didn't say anything about China taking the oil, and it read more of "Why are we doing it in another country with a different company instead of the good ol' USA!"

*looks at the Gulf of Mexico*

Hm...

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wouldn't allowing China to have the oil more or less go toward our paying them back money owed?

Not to derail this thread; answers with just 'yes' or 'no' would do. <_<

Henroid on
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'm positively marvelling at how some one can be stupid and still keep their job.

I hope Steele gets shit canned after midterms.

I'm betting Steele knows some secrets about other conservatives which help protect his position. Keeping Steele employed means he can't write a tell-all book, etc etc.

Blackmail, nice.

I found that Scott McClellan writing a book about the Bush Adminstration(in 08) that basically confirmed what every democrat had been hollering about to be very suspect of him.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    China and Brazil signed an oil agreement in May.

I have no idea what Beck's talking about as far as U.S. involvement, though.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm positively marvelling at how some one can be stupid and still keep their job.

I'm betting Steele knows some secrets about other conservatives which help protect his position. Keeping Steele employed means he can't write a tell-all book, etc etc.

Blackmail, nice.

I found that Scott McClellan writing a book about the Bush Adminstration(in 08) that basically confirmed what every democrat had been hollering about to be very suspect of him.

I believe the term is 'African American-mail' now.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Quoting from my email (which I have to type because my school's network blocks my email >.<)

"Today, even though President Obama is against off shore drilling for our country, he signed an executive order to loan 2 Billion of our taxpayers dollars to a Brazilian Oil Exploration Company (which is the 8th largest company in the entire world) to drill for oil off the coast of Brazil! The oil that comes from this operation is for the sole purpose and use of China and NOT THE USA! Now here's the real clincher ... the Chinese government is under contract to purchase all the oil that this oil field will produce, which is hundreds of millions of barrels of oil"

And then a short rant about how some Billionare donated a ton of money to Obama's campaign and is also the largest individual stockholder for the oil company in question.

And then a link to a WSJ article

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203863204574346610120524166.html

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As I recall the real story behind that (look it up on snopes if you can) the funding was approved way before the recent madness, and I believe started under Bush. I don't remember for sure though.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Quoting from my email (which I have to type because my school's network blocks my email >.<)

"Today, even though President Obama is against off shore drilling for our country, he signed an executive order to loan 2 Billion of our taxpayers dollars to a Brazilian Oil Exploration Company (which is the 8th largest company in the entire world) to drill for oil off the coast of Brazil! The oil that comes from this operation is for the sole purpose and use of China and NOT THE USA! Now here's the real clincher ... the Chinese government is under contract to purchase all the oil that this oil field will produce, which is hundreds of millions of barrels of oil"

And then a short rant about how some Billionare donated a ton of money to Obama's campaign and is also the largest individual stockholder for the oil company in question.

That's an unsourced opinion piece from last August.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hm... didn't even notice that. Should've read it again when I typed the URL in from my phone.

Well, I'll check out snopes tonight, as well, and hopefully have a link to send back to him.

Anyways, sorry to derail the Steele discussion. Continue!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Blackmail, nice.

I believe the term is 'African American-mail' now.

It's ironic, because the only reason Steele has his job at all is because he's black.

He failed up through the various ranks in the state of maryland, because the party didn't want to lose their token black man. Then, after Obama was elected, the RNC decided that they needed a black guy too.

Evander on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Various GOP people have gone on record saying that they have to be nice to Steele because he's black.

Edit: Actually this might not be GOP people as much as it is people like Coulter and Rush, but I think the difference is mainly academic at this point.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This conspiracy is stupider than usual, because crude oil is fungible, so it doesn't fucking matter who pumps it where and for whom. It's a global market, the epitome of what the free marketeers are supposed to love with their entire bodies.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Various GOP people have gone on record saying that they have to be nice to Steele because he's black.

Edit: Actually this might not be GOP people as much as it is people like Coulter and Rush, but I think the difference is mainly academic at this point.

That's where I get my point of view, Steele has to be plainly aware of why exactly he was chosen, and that's why I think he's continuously raking the GOP over the coals and spending their money like no fucking tomorrow on 5 star chefs and private planes

override367 on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Though off topic, Fact Check says Bullshit:

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/09/bogus-brazilian-oil-claims/

Basically: Yes, we're loaning Brazil 2 billion to buy US oil machinery. No, it's not from Obama at all (seriously, I don't think you can loan money with an executive order, he's not a goddamned king)

kildy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    kildy wrote: »

Though off topic, Fact Check says Bullshit:

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/09/bogus-brazilian-oil-claims/

Basically: Yes, we're loaning Brazil 2 billion to buy US oil machinery. No, it's not from Obama at all (seriously, I don't think you can loan money with an executive order, he's not a goddamned king)

Snopes has it, too. Which works better for my parents, because apparently Obama has some link to FactCheck, therefore it's obviously not going to tell the truth about him...

*sigh*

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is there a source proving the funds the Ex-Im Bank is using come from itself and aren't tax-payer money?

Henroid on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Is there a source proving the funds the Ex-Im Bank is using come from itself and aren't tax-payer money?

It's likely taxpayer money, but it's a loan to buy american goods and services. It's like, the best scam ever. Not only will we sell you US made goods, but we'll charge you interest on it, too!

It's the macy's credit card of international loans.

kildy on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Translation: we'll sell you US goods on credit, with the credit risk underwritten by our taxpayers.

No problem if you pay it back, of course.

(This sort of thing is common because it neutralizes political incentive problems - there is a unavoidable risk that more populist countries will default after-the-fact, so no trade requiring credit is carried out unless there is some way to limit the temptation to default. And here it is done by pushing the risk onto the US government, so that Brazil owes the USG $texas instead of owing EvilEasilyDemonizedForeignCorporation $texas).

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010
    All you have to know about how much of a fuckup that speech was is that even Bill fucking Kristol thinks Steele went over the edge.

A duck! on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Michael Steele still has friends. Ron Paul still likes him.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A duck! wrote: »
    All you have to know about how much of a fuckup that speech was is that even Bill fucking Kristol thinks Steele went over the edge.

Kristol will hate anyone who doesn't share his war fetish.

He's a disgusting, evil, little man.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A duck! wrote: »

Kristol will hate anyone who doesn't share his war fetish.

He's a disgusting, evil, little man.

bill kristol (that's right no caps for you, little man) has been wrong about every issue of substance since......Jesus I dunno. A long fucking time. Hell go look at him cheerlead "The Surge (TM)" and how it would fix EVERYTHING.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looking at the pictures on the last page, I'm pretty sure Steele is actually the Indian guy from Supertroopers with a shaved head and a fat suit and this will all be revealed to be some sort of long term performance art scripted by Broken Lizard.

HeraldS on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Looking at the pictures on the last page, I'm pretty sure Steele is actually the Indian guy from Supertroopers with a shaved head and a fat suit and this will all be revealed to be some sort of long term performance art scripted by Broken Lizard.

MotherofGod.jpg

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure Steele is doing that bad of a job. Everyday he says something stupid the news focuses on what goofy thing he said rather than what bone dead thing an actual politician in office does.

Republicans have one a couple seats since he took over the RNC, though granted a lot of this is due to people getting sick of the Democrats.

His party is out of power. In the current political climate a lot of Republicans and independents that voted for Obama are having buyers remorse. The liberals are starting the same sort of idealogical purity tests the Republicans had and going down that same road. Removing blue dogs and moderates for "a true progressive" in the same sort of all or nothing suicide march the right did under Bush for true conservatives that alienated the middle.

All Steele should be doing is throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. Just keep chucking, eventually you'll say something that sticks with someone. Since you're out of power you can't be blamed for what goes on really, and the other side is tossing out purity points that don't stick with many people.

Steele needs to pick his battles better. The wording of this debacle wasn't very good. But the point that Afghanistan is Obama's war now and he is ramping it up is valid. Not a fight I would have picked though.

nstf on
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    So have we always been at war with Eastasia or Eurasia?

Yes.

ronrab on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    I'm not sure Steele is doing that bad of a job. Everyday he says something stupid the news focuses on what goofy thing he said rather than what bone dead thing an actual politician in office does.

Republicans have one a couple seats since he took over the RNC, though granted a lot of this is due to people getting sick of the Democrats.

His party is out of power. In the current political climate a lot of Republicans and independents that voted for Obama are having buyers remorse. The liberals are starting the same sort of idealogical purity tests the Republicans had and going down that same road. Removing blue dogs and moderates for "a true progressive" in the same sort of all or nothing suicide march the right did under Bush for true conservatives that alienated the middle.

All Steele should be doing is throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. Just keep chucking, eventually you'll say something that sticks with someone. Since you're out of power you can't be blamed for what goes on really, and the other side is tossing out purity points that don't stick with many people.

Steele needs to pick his battles better. The wording of this debacle wasn't very good. But the point that Afghanistan is Obama's war now and he is ramping it up is valid. Not a fight I would have picked though.

Which ones exactly? The only one I'm aware of is Scott Brown over a really lame duck Coakley. Where as the tea hadists lost a seat up in new york that had been in the party for a long time.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CliffCliff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    I knew Steele was going to be an endless source of entertainment ever since the GOP decided they apparently needed a token black guy to up their hipness quotient.

fixted it!

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-7-2010/michael-steele-plays-the-race-card

Cliff on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It would be kind of hard for them not to win a couple of seats considering that is usually what happens. They would have to be trying to lose.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    the GOP decided they apparently needed a token black guy to up their hipness quotient.

I don't think they needed a token black guy to up their hipness, and I don't think that's why they picked him.

They did need a black guy to attack him. Whenever any of their other goons went on the offensive they could, and often were, called racists for doing it. They knew damn well that any attacks on Obama would be brushed off as "lol racism" even if they weren't. Steele is the perfect fix here.

nstf on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So they brought in a black guy to not appear racist when they went after Obama?

How racist.

Tach on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    the GOP decided they apparently needed a token black guy to up their hipness quotient.

I don't think they needed a token black guy to up their hipness, and I don't think that's why they picked him.

They did need a black guy to attack him. Whenever any of their other goons went on the offensive they could, and often were, called racists for doing it. They knew damn well that any attacks on Obama would be brushed off as "lol racism" even if they weren't. Steele is the perfect fix here.

Pretty sure anyone could call Afghanistan Obama's creation and be satisfied they'd be called crazy regardless of race.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tach wrote: »
    So they brought in a black guy to not appear racist when they went after Obama?

How racist.

They brought in a black guy because often when they went after Obama his supporters would call them racist as an automatic defense tactic. Don't like Obama's policy on XYZ, well then you are a racist. Steele gets them out of this. He can say all sorts of idiotic things but it's very hard for the left to paint him as a racist.

nstf on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But it's damn easy to point out that he's an idiot.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

*edit*

Oh, and no one really calls the right racist if they honestly disagree with Obama. It's when they say things that are racist that they are called racist.

Tach on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Honest disagreements in Washington are generally all on one side of the aisle these days. Obama has bent so far to the right to appease them that he's practically Ronald Reagan, and they still shoot down every one of his initiatives.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But it's damn easy to point out that he's an idiot.

His job is just to fling shit and see what sticks. Granted he's going to say some goofy things in the process. As for bondage clubs and other things, has there been any evidence that anybody actually cares about those things? They are fun to laugh at, but I'm not convinced they are going to matter in the end.
    Oh, and no one really calls the right racist if they honestly disagree with Obama. It's when they say things that are racist that they are called racist.

BS on this. No main stream politicians are calling them racist when they are not. But places like Kos, Huffington Post, and some of the more liberal leaning writers at actual publications all cry racism even when it's not there.

If that wasn't the case, I don't think we'd be hearing much from Steele.

nstf on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, does anyone think Steele will still be held to this in a month? He probably really is just babbling anything to see what works.

I mean, he should really learn to hedge and dogwhistle more, if he wants to babble more effectively, but I doubt he actually believes what he says.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif