As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SOLVED] Computer won't boot

TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
My 6-year-old computer refuses to show any sort of image after having been turned on.

The monitor works. I've confirmed this by hooking it up to another computer. When booting up, I hear this long beep that's not supposed to be there and the screen remains black. There is power. All the proper leds are burning and stuff. So, what exactly is wrong here? What part do I need to replace?

I'm thinking the gpu, since this is video related, but this is coming from a total computer novice.

TeaSpoon on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Addendum; after leaving it on for a while, the same beep occurs again. I think it rebooted by itself. If I leave it on, it keeps rebooting in an attempt to finally get the system running. Again, the screen remains blank.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Unless your motherboard manual says something about the beep code I'd guess it's the motherboard, the CPU, maaaaybe the RAM, and perhaps the GPU.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Addendum; after leaving it on for a while, the same beep occurs again. I think it rebooted by itself. If I leave it on, it keeps rebooting in an attempt to finally get the system running. Again, the screen remains blank.

Beep codes depend on BIOS, what BIOS do you have, odds are it's pheonix or ami BIOS. It might have an LCD poster on it if it's high end, that should have an error code.

See here for beeps

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

nstf on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It was the GPU.

I replaced it with one I had lying around, just to see what would happen. It worked.

Thanks for the help, guys. Especially Tycho. Your post was the most helpful of all.

TeaSpoon on
This discussion has been closed.