As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX Prime Cookie/Biscuit Brigade 2010!

HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
4053357487_e4b58467bb.jpg

Cookie (or Biscuit depending on what side of the pond you're on) Brigade Prime!

We seem to have lost our previous thread, so here we go again:

What is it?

The Cookie Brigade is just a bunch of peeps who like baking so much that they bring cookies and other baked goodies to PAX to give away to other expo go-ers. We also collect donations for Child's Play if people feel like donating, and when PAX winds down we hand over any donations to the Child's Play people.

Please note: We don't sell cookies for Child's Play, we're just people giving out sweets because we're friendly like that, and people can give us donations for Child's Play because they're generous like that (and we're convenient people to give that money to...y'know, since we're walking around and were going to turn donations in to the Child's Play person at the end anyway).

How do I participate?
You can help bake, help distribute, or both! Sign-ups are pretty loose because this is all a voluntary thing, and you can post in this thread, in the Google Group, PM, or use this website for now.

Do you guys really raise any money?

Yes, yes we do! In the past 2.5 years since this has started, we've collected more than $13,000, and it's all been from you guys! You're awesome! :D

Organizational Stuff

As the time draws nigh, we'll e-mail/PM more information about when we're meeting up to drop off/pick-up cookies and donations, get your Cookie Brigade buttons, and all that other stuff.

In the meantime, discussion can be found at the Google Group or you can post questions and about your eagerness to bake delicious things here

A Brief History Bonus

This was posted by Alyssa in the Cookie Brigade (CB) Google Group and she said I could share it, because it's a really awesome way to understand the CB a bit better:
"Allow me to introduce myself, for those of you who have never met me and don't know me. In 2007, I attended my first PAX. It was AWESOME. I am a shy, shy person, so in order to *bribe* people into being my friends, I baked cookies and took them with me to PAX to distribute for fun [...]. BrokenAngel was
another individual who - independent of me - did the same thing in BYOC and other places.

I found that, every time I gave someone a cookie, they tended to want to reciprocate by giving me something in return (as is somewhat typical in the ever-loving, ever-giving PAX community). This puzzled me, and as I
planned on returning in 2008 (not knowing my job would change and prevent me from being able to), BrokenAngel, myself and a few other forumers decided that it would be cool to bake cookies, distribute them, and gain donations for Child's Play.

And I think this is what the Cookie Brigade is all about. Giving something to PAX-ers, and PAX-ers giving something back in return."

Hypatia on

• HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Apologies for the re-posting everyone, but the old thread looks like it got nixed.

To re-kick this off, let me just say that I have found a recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls that I'm dying to try!

Hypatia on
  • GirlsAreGeeksGirlsAreGeeks Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    PAX East was my first, and I love what you guys do. I bake gluten-free and sometimes sugar-free cookies if people thought that might be a useful addition.

GirlsAreGeeks on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah... I don't know.

Cookies are delicious.

But Dickerdoodles are delicious and sexy. :winky:

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • cuennascuennas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    im coming from new yorkbut i am very interested in helping out let me know what i can do

cuennas on
    edited June 2010
    Oh hey, the old thread got found, can you please delete/lock this one then or merge it into the other one? :D

Hypatia on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    School Girl Goodness Group will be passing out home made chocolate chip cookies (Joygasms) and something else on Friday, until there done. We will be dressed in School Girl outfits, all 9 of us. So come and donate.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • forbiddencookieforbiddencookie Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I'd be more than happy to bake a bit or help pass out treats. Just PM me and let me know what I should do.

forbiddencookie on
    edited July 2010
    People do love the gluten free cookies, but I gotta say that when handing them out you do tend to get a suspicious, "Really?! Are you -sure- these are gluten free? I don't know if I want to try them...are you really sure?!" :)

Everyone's welcome to help out, you can bake, you can distribute, or you can bake and distribute! Every little bit helps, VThornheart and I will be working out a schedule of meeting times/locations once the PAX schedule comes out so that bakers can drop cookies off, distributors can pick cookies up, and anyone looking to offload donations can do that too.

If you'd like to make sure you get the e-mail with the meeting times/contact info, just PM VThornheart or me, or sign up on the website! The contact info is really just so that we can get a hold of you if any changes happen, like, "Just calling to tell you that if you're trying to find us, we're across the hall because there's a crazy person dressed like a Witch crouched in our original meeting place!" :D

Hypatia on
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Indeed, my wife (Rebecca) made Gluten free cookies (as well as sugar free and vegan), and they were very well received! Between the vegan and the gluten free cookies, not everyone needs them, but the folks that do were thrilled that there were options available to them! We're only sorry that we won't be able to make it out to Prime. However, I'd still like to contribute in some way, and I've started up doing some custom embroidery work on the side...so for any Cookie Brigadier that wants one, PM me your mailing address, and I'll send you an iron-on Cookie Brigade patch for your shirt, jacket, etc. (one per person, please)

Here's (roughly) what it looks like:
    CookiePatch.png
    I need to put a circle border around it...but that's about it. :)

Facelesscog on
  • ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hurray! ^__^
    I had a blast giving away cookies last year! :3
    I'm glad to participate again this year, if you'll have me. :)
    Last year I did distribution only, but this year I'm gonna step it up and bake as well as distribute.

Definitely feels good to know you make some PAXers day much better during the long line waiting & seating for panels. :mrgreen:

Also, looking forward to seeing what VT's cookie storage device will be this year.

Shiggles on
    edited July 2010
    Wow, those badges look awesome! How do you attach them to things? I'm trying to figure out where it would look best! :)

And of course we'll have you Shiggles, everyone's welcome and thank you very very much for your distribution efforts last year, can't wait to see what cookies you come up with!

What do people think of the idea of maybe getting together on Thursday night or Friday morning and putting all of the different kinds of cookies together on a table somewhere to take a quick picture of? I just know that I never get to see half of the deliciousness that people are making and it would be a lot of fun to do some exchanges at that point and to have a cookie beauty shot for posterity!

Hypatia on
    edited July 2010
    The patches are of the "iron-on" variety, meaning that you merely have to place them where you want on your bag, jacket, shirt, etc. and press down on them for 10-20 seconds with an iron on the "Cotton" setting. That permanently affixes it to your target.

Facelesscog on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Facelesscog, you and your wife are freakin' heroes of the brigade! That's awesome! =)

For those who weren't at East, Facelesscog was a relentless brigadieering champion of all that is win... and he's joining us at Prime now! Wooot! =)

I'm definitely up for one of those patches! I'll PM you =) If there's enough of them, I'd gladly adorn all sorts of clothing/accessories/anything on my person with it. =)

This year, I'm hoping to make a more svelte flagpole... that last one was heavy! It was a good prototype, but yikes... its size was such that it felt perilous to hold it overhead. I've got to work on that. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited July 2010
    Sorry, VT, I said that we won't be able to make it out to Prime. For those that don't know, I just had my right foot amputated about a month ago. I'm adjusting nicely, and will be getting fitted soon for my prosthetic foot (which is going to kick ass). After that, I'll be going in for physical therapy for a month or so, where I'll learn how to get around and use my prosthetic. So, there's no travel for my wife and I for a while, but it's for a great cause. After all, when East rolls around next year, I'll be there, and WALKING! (w00t!)

However, just because I can't make it to Prime is no reason not to help out with the cause! So, if anyone else wants a patch to show that they're a proud member of the Brigade, let me know and I'll send one out to you!

Facelesscog on
    edited July 2010
    Ah, I totally botched my reading roll! =( Eek, I hope things work out soon... because the potential for being able to walk around again is definitely awesome! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, and I'm looking forward to seeing you at East!

VThornheart on
    edited July 2010
    Okay, so for Cookie Brigade-related promotion purposes... what do we want to do?

In 2008 we did the 1.5" circular buttons with the "I <3 Cookie Brigade" image, which was awesome!

In 2009 we did the rectangular buttons that looked like Magic cards... which was awesome as well, but a bit more pricey and bulky, and as a result we had less of them than the 2008 supply. (They went quick!)

What's the plan for this year? Tell me where to point my credit card! =) Do we want to go back to the old design (does anyone have the original artwork for the old design?), do we want a fresh new design (perhaps with the 1.5" buttons so we can get more of them?), or do we want to do something entirely new like stickers?

Personally, I think the 1.5" buttons hit a sweet spot, and I would definitely like to see a new image created (though ideally keeping our original logo itself for consistency sake) so that our 2010 buttons are fresh looking!

Anyone out there have skills of an artist for the purpose? =)

VThornheart on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    May I make a suggestion as to something you guys and gals could distribute?
    Peanut Butter Balls

2 cups peanut butter
    2 cups icing sugar
    2 tablespoons soft butter
    2 cups rice krispies
    2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
    icing sugar for coating
    melted chocolate wafers for drizzling (optional)

Mix first 5 ingredients together and roll into balls. Put extra icing sugar in small bowl and coat peanut butter balls. Place balls on tray and chill. Optional: Drizzle melted chocolate over chilled balls and chill again.

I'd bring some, but I'm coming by air. These are delicious, but I don't know if they will survive heat. How hot does it get in the convention centre?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    May I make a suggestion as to something you guys and gals could distribute?
    Peanut Butter Balls

2 cups peanut butter
    2 cups icing sugar
    2 tablespoons soft butter
    2 cups rice krispies
    2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
    icing sugar for coating
    melted chocolate wafers for drizzling (optional)

Mix first 5 ingredients together and roll into balls. Put extra icing sugar in small bowl and coat peanut butter balls. Place balls on tray and chill. Optional: Drizzle melted chocolate over chilled balls and chill again.

I'd bring some, but I'm coming by air. These are delicious, but I don't know if they will survive heat. How hot does it get in the convention centre?

I'm not sure about this particular one, but most convention centers are fully air-conditioned.

Heleor on
    edited July 2010
    Oh, aye: we can definitely keep them cool enough. We usually have a place that we set up as a base of operations, and said place is well air conditioned. =)

If you feel adventurous, bring them even though you're travelling by air! A good hard container could work, and you could bring them as a carry-on!

VThornheart on
    edited July 2010
    but but, I need my laptop as a carry on. It's important.
    Actually I'd imagine getting them through customs would be a PITA

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited July 2010
    Oh... aye, good point.

Hopefully a baker will step forward!

Speaking of which: BAKERS, WE NEED YOU! Please message Hypatia and/or join our Google Group! As we found at PAX East, it takes a lot of bakers to make this happen! If you can make and bring cookies, please do so! The benefit you will provide for Child's Play will be incredible!

VThornheart on
    edited July 2010
    Has anyone ever checked with the PA staff to find out if it would be possible to get a little Cookie Brigade flyer in the swag bag? That way, more people would be familiar with the effort, and would be keeping an eye out for Cookie Brigadiers. (This might be more important for East than for Prime, since people have less PAX experience on our coast.)

Facelesscog on
  • chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Has anyone ever checked with the PA staff to find out if it would be possible to get a little Cookie Brigade flyer in the swag bag? That way, more people would be familiar with the effort, and would be keeping an eye out for Cookie Brigadiers. (This might be more important for East than for Prime, since people have less PAX experience on our coast.)

We can't do this. Everything we do is entirely under the radar. First, we technically aren't allowed to distribute cookies because of the Convention Center's food service agreement. Second, when PA was first starting PAX, they made a conscious decision to keep Child's Play completely separate. That said, they love what we do and don't want it to stop, we just will never be official.

As I've stated before, I won't be at this year's PAX. However, I will try my best to hook up with someone else from the Vancouver area and give them cookies to pass off to you guys. My 16 month old is still on a gluten-free/dairy-free diet, so I will for sure be making gf/df cookies, and I'm hoping to make some vegan (aka also egg free) ones too! I never really realized how many people are affected by food intolerances and/or choose to not eat certain foods.

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Greetings, faithful members of the Brigade!

I come to you with a message, and possibly an offer, if you're willing to accept.

I, Shaddz (Or Bryant, whichever you wanna call me) am working for a bakery in White Center (Ride the 120 from Westlake, once you stop seeing Seattle and start seeing a lot of Cambodian eateries, you're there) called the 3.14 Bakery. We're new, opening up sometime late this month... And we specialize in baked goods.

We would like to extend an offer... We would love to bake a bunch of cookies for The Brigade, and possibly muffins, doughnuts, even brownies, with the same mission of collecting money for Child's Play; Only this time, with the backing of a local business. We're not looking for any profit, ALL proceeds will be going to Child's Play, with absolutely no cash coming to us. The only thing that we'd get is the satisfaction of contributing something.

What you gain:
    -MOAR COOKIEZ!
    -Brownies! (*)
    -Muffins! (*)
    -Doughnuts! (*)

(*) - Still not 100% decided

What you lose:
    -Nothing!

So how about it?

Reply here, or PM me!

Thanks a lot!

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
    edited July 2010
    BTW, the official Facebook for the Bakery is here:

http://snurl.com/z3d3i

Show your support! We can use it!

Shaddz on
    You can find me on:

• H2O ShoagieH2O Shoagie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Should I stick to just eating way too many cookies and giving all my spare changes and one dollar bills to a certain person in this topic?

H2O Shoagie on
    edited July 2010
    Awww it got merged? Oh well, I suppose that works...

Shaddz on
    You can find me on:

edited July 2010
    Personally, I think that's a fantastic thing Shaddz! Goodness knows we could use as many baked goods as is humanly possible! That would be incredibly awesome! I'll join up on your Facebook profile as well!

Are there any among your ranks who'd be up for distributing as well? Usually distribution isn't as big of a problem as not having enough cookies and the like, but we can definitely use whatever you guys want to put forward! =)

EDIT: Also H20, we <3 your support of the Brigade! =)=) If you are able to bake or distribute, join up, but if not your support as an eater of cookies and a donator to Child's Play is extremely awesome! =)

I kind of want to make some kind of "awesome contributor" awards or something for people who give incredible donations to Child's Play... like achievements. I don't know how we'd do it or what they'd be, but the idea just came to me. I think it'd be pretty awesome =)

VThornheart on
    edited July 2010
    Oh good, thats a relief VThornheart, for a sec I was scared that it'd come off greedy or self-serving sounding...

Personally, I wont be able to distribute due to the fact Im gonna be at PAX as media (Freelance gaming journalist), but Im gonna see if I can work something out ;)

I know my roommates have been wanting a reason to take off work, Ill ask around.

Thanks for the support!

Shaddz on
    You can find me on:

edited July 2010
    Nay, I don't find it self serving: I think anyone who can put whatever resources they have towards doing good for Child's Play is awesome for doing so! You've got a bakery, and you're going to put it to work to make our little corner of Child's Play contributions even better: your bakery deserves kudos for that I think!

We've all got to not be afraid to use whatever resources we have available to help... at least that's how I feel about it. =) I think I've tried to convince every company I've worked for to do something to try and help Child's Play. Only one ever actually took me up on it and gave it a shot (and admittedly, not much came from it donation-wise sadly =( ), but if we all try to do those kinds of things we can get larger entities than just our own personal contributions to start swinging in with big benefits for the Children's hospitals in need. You never know when a company can do something that'll end up being a big help to Child's Play.

For example, with your bakery's donations, the Cookie Brigade might be able to come closer to keeping a full cookie supply throughout PAX... which can only end up meaning more donations for Child's Play. And that's an awesome thing! =)

VThornheart on
  • H2O ShoagieH2O Shoagie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well I talked to my mom to see if she would help me the night before I fly out, and I will see if I can make 150-200 buckeyes and stash them in my carry on. I hope this will be doable. Also, feel free to put stickers or something on me any time I sit there and keep handing you money for snacks. I think I run around way too much to distribute, but I will see what I can do.

H2O Shoagie on
    edited July 2010
    chibidani wrote: »
    We can't do this. Everything we do is entirely under the radar. First, we technically aren't allowed to distribute cookies because of the Convention Center's food service agreement. Second, when PA was first starting PAX, they made a conscious decision to keep Child's Play completely separate. That said, they love what we do and don't want it to stop, we just will never be official.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. No biggie. I'm sure that awareness of the Brigade will rise with each successive year in Boston. :)

Facelesscog on
    edited July 2010
    Aye, if we keep fighting the good fight I think eventually we won't have to keep it underground... but until then, our actions must be at least somewhat covert sadly. =(

Also Shoagie, that's fantastic! Those things will go like hotcakes, awesome! =)

VThornheart on
    edited July 2010
    What are buckeyes? All Google gives me is some sports team.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    They're chocolate peanut butter balls that are made to look like the nut of the buckeye tree
    ohio_buckeyes_sticker-p217552719200193955qjcl_400.jpg

They're popular in Ohio for obvious reasons.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2010
    And as we all know, candied peanut butter + chocolate = win! =)

VThornheart on
    edited July 2010
    The potato chip cookies turned out really well, I'd like to make another weird cookie to bring along but am having trouble deciding between Honey cookies, Bean cookies, Pumpkin cookies, or Green Tea cookies...unless anyone has a really good bizarre cookie recipe that they already know is pretty good? :)

Hypatia on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hypatia wrote: »
    The potato chip cookies turned out really well, I'd like to make another weird cookie to bring along but am having trouble deciding between Honey cookies, Bean cookies, Pumpkin cookies, or Green Tea cookies...unless anyone has a really good bizarre cookie recipe that they already know is pretty good? :)
    Pumpkin cookies are good!!!

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    Ooh, pumpkin cookies do sound good, and the green tea cookie sounds like a particularly delicious idea as well!

VThornheart on
  • EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Count me in for baking this year! Unfortunately, I think my pranking activities might put a bit of a damper on my ability to distribute, but I am more than happy to give you guys goodies.

/me giggles maniacally as she starts digging through her cookbooks

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
This discussion has been closed.