As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need a new GPU

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
It seems like people are much better informed on the matter of new video cards, so I'm seeking recommendations: I think my 8800GT SLI are on their way out, and I have been hoping to upgrade.

I'd like recommendations from both ATi and Nvidia if possible, but basically, I'm looking for something that's an upgrade (or at least competitive with) my two EVGA 8800GT running in SLI in the reliability of one card. I'm using an EVGA 780i SLI motherboard, if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Sorry about that, yeah, I was kind of in a rush when I posted this. I'd say my budget is around $300 (though I could do more), and my main resolutions are 1680 x 1050 and 1080p.

Synthesis on

• corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Budget and your monitor's native/max resolution would be helpful.

corky842 on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Without knowing a budget I would suggest an ATI HD 5850.

Nvidia doesn't really have any midrange cards out atm.

Dark Shroud on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whoops, OP edited.

Synthesis on
  • nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The ATI HD 5850 cards fit what you're looking for nicely. I just ordered one yesterday for the same upgrade path (from a single 8800gt though).

nusu on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    whatever X850 card is the current one from ATi is probably gonna be a safe bet for the foreseeable future
    My 4850 still kicks ass.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2010
    nusu wrote: »
    The ATI HD 5850 cards fit what you're looking for nicely. I just ordered one yesterday for the same upgrade path (from a single 8800gt though).

I play a decent number of SLI-capable games, so I need to find what changes an HD 5850 will afford me from two cards.

EDIT: Apparently, the word on the internet (for what that's worth) is that an HD 5850 has a slight edge over 8800GT or 8800GTX in SLI (in programs that properly support SLI anyway)...I'll probably need to do more research as well. I've got an extremely robust PSU I think (900W, pretty high quality). The big difference is that the HD 5850 is far more power efficient, apparently, but the performance jump may be negligible.

Right now I have enough power, so I might be better driving my 8800GT cards into the ground before replacing them.

Synthesis on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I think you'd be better served just sitting on that $300 and waiting for the 8800GT to get a bit more outdated, unless you want a DX11 card right now. Not really enough of a performance increase to justify it.

Dehumanized on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, within a few months time the ATI 6000 series cards should be coming out as well. Save up to $400 and you should be able to snag one at launch.

Dark Shroud on
  • KazooKazoo Get in the van. I have candy.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    nusu wrote: »

I play a decent number of SLI-capable games, so I need to find what changes an HD 5850 will afford me from two cards.

EDIT: Apparently, the word on the internet (for what that's worth) is that an HD 5850 has a slight edge over 8800GT or 8800GTX in SLI (in programs that properly support SLI anyway)...I'll probably need to do more research as well. I've got an extremely robust PSU I think (900W, pretty high quality). The big difference is that the HD 5850 is far more power efficient, apparently, but the performance jump may be negligible.

Right now I have enough power, so I might be better driving my 8800GT cards into the ground before replacing them.

The 5850 also supports DX11, which the 8800GT/GTX does not. Have you considered a 5970?

Kazoo on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I think you'd be better served just sitting on that $300 and waiting for the 8800GT to get a bit more outdated, unless you want a DX11 card right now. Not really enough of a performance increase to justify it.

That's probably wisest. Right now, there's not enough justification to grab a DX11 card either. What with the six or so games that actually use it. The future is a different story, of course...
    Also, within a few months time the ATI 6000 series cards should be coming out as well. Save up to $400 and you should be able to snag one at launch.

I'm a little wary of picking up an early edition Radeon (or, for that matter, Nvidia) card, but I don't doubt that ATi will have a very strong offering in the 6000 series eventually that's worth the price. Guess it's time to "wait and see"...

Synthesis on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd get a 5850.

Not all games scale well with SLI, so you're definitely going to see a performance boost. A 5850 consumes 150W at peak 3D, that's nothing, so it will run cooler, more silent and more efficiently than the 2 x 8800GT setup.

I honestly don't see any games requiring something over a 5850, unless you absolutely need all games be run at 1080p with 4x anti-aliasing.

Satsumomo on
    edited July 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I honestly don't see any games requiring something over a 5850, unless you absolutely need all games be run at 1080p with 4x anti-aliasing.

Well, now that you mention it....

Synthesis on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's just me though, I mean I've had a 4850 for over 2 years, and I still get to run all new games at 1680x1050 on max settings, sans anti aliasing. And the 5850 is way better than the 4850.

Satsumomo on