As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

University Job: Computer Lab

TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back inNebraskaRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've applied to about 20 entry-level job openings in Omaha and the only interview I've gotten has shot me down. College requires $$$ and 'just a summer job' isn't what I'm looking for anymore. There's an opening in UNO's human resources for Computer Lab Monitor Technician. It sounds fancy but from the description it looks like I just chill at the front desk.

I'm supposed to assist anyone who has an issue with any of the computers. It's in the flubbin IT building, anyone working THERE who has a problem is probably more qualified to fix it than me!

9$ an hour for a job that is shaking on the line between 'necessary' and 'what the hell'. Is there anything else to being a 'Monitor/Technician'? Has someone worked for a university in this fashion? What kind of hours do you get?

TIFunkalicious on

• Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is exactly what I did during my university years. Definitely do it if you don't find anything substantially better, because for the most part the job description is "chill at the front desk".

Occasionally stupid people will come to you complaining that "my document won't print" and you'll go to their computer and realize they printed to the wrong printer or something stupid like that.

As for hours, it really depends on how things are at your university and how many people work there. Don't expect too many hours, maybe like 15 or so a week. Once in a while, when the lab decides to switch out old computers for new, you can get hours helping with that. There's probably also other small tasks to do once in a while.

Basically for the most time you get to chill at your desk, do you homework and work with generally cool people. Do it.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's a fancy title but really, it just requires basic computer knowledge (ie: You're posting on the internet, congrats, you're qualified.) and the rest you tend to pick up on the job.

Sipex on
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I had the same job at my university as well. Another one of my responsibilities was "fixing" the printers when they stopped working, which basically amounted to turning them off and on again. The printing system at my uni used to be so terrible, but they finally got a new one after I stopped being a lab technician... ARGH!

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My first IT job was as a lab assistant for my university's IT department. Your job will consist of:

1. Sitting at the front desk doing homework/browsing the internet.
    2. Occasionally putting paper in the printers.
    3. Very occasionally helping people with their computer questions.

$9.00 / hour is a great wage for that kind of job. You should definitely apply for it.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i also did this exact job in college.

aside from getting paid to chill out and do homework in the computer lab, you also will be able to chat up friends and, uh, help users with very rare technical problems.

it's not a bad gig.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do it to it. I do IT for my College (albiet a step or two up) and its essentially $12 an hour to answer phones and dick around, plus they'll match my schedule however much they haven to. College computer jobs are awesome,a nd super laid back.

blakfeld on
  • Options
    Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Definitely do it. It will be a super laid-back job and give you valuable experience. I had this exact job when I was in college and it was awesome.

Count Funkula on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can do your homework while you 'work' or play Diablo 2. It is the best of all university jobs, I promise.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can do your homework while you 'work' or play Diablo 2. It is the best of all university jobs, I promise.

I played Half Life all day on Monday, it was awesome

blakfeld on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bonus is that you get to meet all the fine young women who use the lab. ;)

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Of cushy student jobs, computer lab dude is by far the cushiest.

You will get paid to sit in a climate controlled room and browse the internet and/or play games, and occasionally reload the printer.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

now i have two reasons to disbelieve anything written by anyone with a name starting in "L Ron" :P

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

now i have two reasons to disbelieve anything written by anyone with a name starting in "L Ron" :P

I'm sorry that the university that you've attended didn't have such a luxury.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I did the same job as well. Use the time of chilling at the front desk to do HW, read a book or whatever. It's not a busy job at all, the most I had to do was refill the printer and write down how many people were using the lab at every hour.

I got hours that worked well with my schedule and I remember one Sat. morning shift where I was so hung over that I slept at my desk through the whole shift and people were nice enough to leave me alone.

You won't be made rich, but it did help with spending $$ and it sounds fancy on a resume and you can embellish a bit on your tasks in an interview.

DrunkMc on