As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quitting the fizzypops

TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
This is really dumb, but this shit is ruining me now.

I'm up to drinking almost 12 cans a day at times.

I've tried to cut back, I've cut myself off completely, but I always come back harder and faster each time.

I have so much caffeine in my system that days are running together, I never sleep enough, until I crash for 12 hours at a time, I get the shakes and cold sweats from it too.

Worst of all, I have a heart condition now, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pericardial_effusion

They say it's trivial but I do get the occasional mild to bad chest pains, with all the stimulant I put in myself, I am worried I'm going to have a fucking heart attack.

I want to quit but man, I dunno I need help.

Tallahasseeriel on

• Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was in a similar spot, though probably not as bad. Anytime I drank a good amount of cokes, my heart would feel like it was beating out of my chest. Not good for trying to sleep.

What I did was stop drinking sodas, and started drinking juices a lot. I would drink a bottle of water, and then maybe two other non-caffeinated drinks. I would also drink one Sobe a day, like the Energy or something with caffeine in it, to slowly work myself down. Maybe two weeks and I stopped drinking everything with caffeine. Then, I started drinking slightly more water, slightly less juice. A few weeks and then I was drinking water and the G2 or whatever the lighter sports drinks were. Took me probably two months total to get down to pretty much just water. I haven't really had soda in about five months, and drink about 3L+ of water a day, with maybe and orange juice every other day to help prevent scurvy.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KrubicksCubeKrubicksCube Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Good for you, I remember being addicted to pop back in high school. Maybe not to the extent you were. I would recommend drinking juice as a replacement and not only that, but I would start to cut back instead of going cold turkey.

So maybe half your supply per day or maybe limit yourself for 3 cans a day for a week, then 2 then 1 then nothing or leave it at 1? If you go cold turkey the caffeine might make you crash as well, which isn't great. Just don't see yourself quitting as having to stop entirely in order to be successful. Just gradually cut back and you'll find yourself getting the same results a bit slower but a lot easier. EDIT: Sorry, editing this post a lot since I tend to forget things. But the juice thing is a big one, I find if I'm having a craving for something sweet, I can drink juice and, yeah, sugarwise it's not much better for you but it still has good things as well and no caffeine!

When I found myself drinking too much soda, I just put a one glass a day (max) rule but making a concession for if I was nerding out with friends or having a big meal or something.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

KrubicksCube on
    What I'm Currently Nerding To:
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's been about 7 years since I've really drank soda at all. I used to down Pepsi etc. like crazy until I went to Las Vegas during a particularly hot week. Honestly it started out that I could really only drink water or sports drinks since anything else would be the equivalent of downing maple syrup. After the trip I just kinda stopped drinking sodas completely.
    Now you must be thinking, how the hell is this helpful or relevant? Well my point is that once you get over the challenge of resisting them, you really lose any cravings. It might take awhile but I suggest just drinking only water or very watery drinks (tea, low calorie Gatorade). When you finally get the cravings after just drinking "lighter" stuff for awhile trying soda again (any soda) will feel like the maple syrup analogy I used earlier and you'll start to actively avoid drinking them.
    I'm more of an extreme example since I don't drink alcohol or coffee either, and any juice I drink has to be significantly diluted. I'm not sure how helpful that was, but if you have any questions feel free.

Gigaton on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What helped me quit was actually that Green Tea HP powder you put in bottles of water. They tasted pretty good and supposedly suppress your appitite. If I ever drank a soda it was a coke zero but I got it down to where I can go entire months with out a soda and can occasionally treat myself with a coke zero or a diet dr pepper. I feel alot better since quiting and actully enjoy the rare soda I get rather than chug it down in a hurry.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Good for you, I remember being addicted to pop back in high school. Maybe not to the extent you were. I would recommend drinking juice as a replacement and not only that, but I would start to cut back instead of going cold turkey.

So maybe half your supply per day or maybe limit yourself for 3 cans a day for a week, then 2 then 1 then nothing or leave it at 1? If you go cold turkey the caffeine might make you crash as well, which isn't great. Just don't see yourself quitting as having to stop entirely in order to be successful. Just gradually cut back and you'll find yourself getting the same results a bit slower but a lot easier.

When I found myself drinking too much soda, I just put a one glass a day (max) rule but making a concession for if I was nerding out with friends or having a big meal or something.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

This is what I just did about a month ago, I cut myself back from about ten cans a day to two, just enough to keep me from getting caffeine withdrawal headaches, stayed at 2 cans a day for a little over a week, had one can a day for my last two days and then switched to just water. I kept only that day's worth of cans in the fridge and left the rest in the closet, where they were too hot to want to drink anyway, and didn't put the next day's cans in the fridge until I was going to bed. I didn't switch to juices - it gives me heartburn if I have more than 8oz in a day anyway, so it was a lot easier to stick with water. I don't keep soda in the house anymore which makes it a lot easier.

cabsy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If all you're concerned about is caffeiene or sugar then consider the diet stuff, but diet stuff is terrible for you. I think they've done a study that shows it can actually slow down your metabolism over time.

Actually, come to think of it, don't they make caffeiene free pepsi? I remember drinking it back in the day and it tasting the exact same (or very near enough). Or am I just imagining it?

KrubicksCube on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also find something new that you actually like. It's not always easy, but just trying to force yourself to drink water more doesn't always work if you're super addicted.

Adus on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes don't quit cold turkey. You are totally addicted to caffeine and it will make you have headaches and feel like shit for a week. Also you will probably not succeed. I second the 1/2ing your intake each week until you get to one or none.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've been there, man.

I had a pretty heavy caffeine/pop addiction a few years ago, and due to a medical issue I quit cold turkey. The result was a few weeks of nothing but headaches, inability to concentrate, and general lethargy. The upside, however, was that once I came out of that, I began to feel a lot lighter, like I wasn't as tired as often. Am I recommending quitting cold turkey? Not really, but I am saying that however you manage to end it, it is worth it and you'll feel worlds better.

A few things that hopefully help you out:
    1. For me, the first thing I noticed was a craving not for soda specifically, but anything with that heavy syrup consistency. Some juices have it, a lot of "tea" has it as well- if you cut this out as well, that last little link to soda will be severed, your thirst will begin to acclimate, and water/less sweet drinks will begin to fill that craving.
    2. The other insight was that I found that when I felt the need to drink a can of pop, the longer I thought about it, the more likely I was to backslide. I suggest grabbing a bulk package of bottled water and keeping it nearby wherever you sit the most, be it at the computer, couch, etc. As soon as you get that craving, down a bottle.
    3. It may sound silly, but an aspect of drinking soda is the portability that its packaging allows. Getting the big pack of bottled water helps act as an inbetween until you're off the pop for good.
    4. Let your friends know that you're trying to quit, if only so they don't toss you a can when they get one for themselves.

Best of luck!

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Definitely agree with all the people saying don't quit cold turkey.

What has been very successful to me was to just wean myself off of it slowly. Like try to cut back day by day until you are down to 2-3 a day. Going from lots of caffeine to none = bad idea. Also, it helps me a lot if I limit myself to the soda at certain times a day, and I always have the soda only at those times. I only drink two cans of soda a day, so I have one at lunch and one at dinner. It might help if you tell yourself ok, I can only have a soda at these times during the day.

I try to substitute the soda with two things: I drink lots of water (makes you feel good and keeps you hydrated), and then I also have a glass of lemonade now and then for the sugar. What helps me drink more water is I keep a large pitcher full of water in the fridge, that way it is nice and cold. It's so much easier to drink a lot of water when it's super cold.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If all you're concerned about is caffeiene or sugar then consider the diet stuff, but diet stuff is terrible for you. I think they've done a study that shows it can actually slow down your metabolism over time.

This isn't necessarily true.

The studies that suggested diet pop drinkers are more likely to gain weight were iffy at best. The most probable reason for those results is that the people in the study would have switched to the diet alternative when they were noticing a weight gain, but they would do little else to try and lose weight.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I wish there was a support group for this or something.

This totally blows.

The thing is it also makes my depression, mood and anxiety disorders worse, I was having a panic attack when I made this thread even. Though my doctor also thinks I kinda do it to self medicate myself from these issues as well as probably ADD.

It's gonna be a rough ride, I really need help through it.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

This isn't necessarily true.

The studies that suggested diet pop drinkers are more likely to gain weight were iffy at best. The most probable reason for those results is that the people in the study would have switched to the diet alternative when they were noticing a weight gain, but they would do little else to try and lose weight.

This is very true, take it with a grain of salt (like all studies really). The study was performed on rats I think now that I've looked into it and they found rats on artificial sugars were much more likely to gain weight than the control group on natural sugars.

Also, a lot of the studies regarding diet coke were people who were addicted to coke in the first place, so their massive consumption of it (shockingly =p) wasn't making too much of a difference.

I guess the main point of diet coke is (regardless of the above mentioned study) is that whatever they take out they replace with something else that isn't necessarily better for you. Moderation is key, not replacement.

Also, Uriel, when you are going through the process: try your best, but don't beat yourself up if you slip up so often. That's why I would suggest having a few excuses where you can let loose and indulge a bit so you don't go crazy. Good luck!

KrubicksCube on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    zktzkt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Who the hell calls pop fizzypops?

zkt on
  • Options
    RericReric Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was able to give up soda with a combination of different drinks. Had black tea for caffeine, had a juice in the morning just for some sugar, and finally used those flavored sparkling waters to satisfy that sensation of drinking something fizzy.

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Stickboy5Stickboy5 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am currently in the process of cutting back on the caffeine. I have found that the Sobe water products are quite tasty and enjoyable.

Stickboy5 on
    XBL: SAE Stick
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Something that helped me was switching to soda that didn't have caffeine. I started buying root beer instead of coke/pepsi, and after a while I noticed that I wasn't craving it as much. That ultimately made cutting back a lot easier.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was getting close to the same place, OP. I was drinking between 4 and 6 cans of Dr Pepper a day, and it was noticeably corroding my teeth. I switched over to Arizona teas for a while, since I figured I wouldn't be craving the corn syrup and caffeine if I went with those. I started on 2 of those a day, since it's double the size of a soda can, and then start drinking a tea with sugar in it instead of corn syrup (something from Itoen or Xing), then I cut the Arizona teas completely. I still need 2 cans/bottles to make it through the day, but I'm working on drinking more water and less tea now. Sometimes I lapse and have a soda, but it's only every couple of weeks and never at the movies. Hopefully this helps you.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I just worked it out, about 400 mgs of caffeine a day, I am probably going to die.

This sucks ass, I can't fucking do this. This shit has my balls in a vice.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    CrapfestivalCrapfestival Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, man. I know how you're feeling. I was downing 100+ oz. of coffee a day (Plus a common daily rockstar) a couple months back. I beat it by just making the stuff completely unavailable, and then considered the money I would save each month not spending money on any sort of caffeine. I did what most people suggest not to do and went completely cold turkey, which resulted in a constant headache for about 4-5 days. I feel way better not being dependent on the stuff anymore, however.

Crapfestival on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Right I think I'll try to deal with the headache of going cold turkey.

Because dealing with the headaches I get from overdosing is just too much, I can't even keep my hands still sometimes.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The thing about addictions is that they're mostly mental. Sure the body is physically addicted, but once you clear the system the rest is up to you. It's why alcoholics can't be around other drinkers. They associate in their minds having a good time and being social with having a drink and it flips a switch and you start to crave having a drink.

This is one of the reasons why cold turkey is usually a bad idea. It's also another reason why people try to employ substitutes. In this case, like others suggest, try switching to something that provides less caffeine per ounce. But also something you won't be drinking twice as much of. Switching to non-caffeinated sodas is also a good idea since it tricks you into thinking your having the carbonated sugar water you crave so much.

Stick mainly to 'clear' drinks (lemon-lime stuff, not that shitty 'crystal' junk) since those are easier to find at fast food places than caffeine free stuff and increase the amount of water you drink. The less thirsty you are, the less likely you are to fill up with soda. Keep a refillable bottle of water with you when possible.

And if you don't think you can do it yourself, get your friends and family to help. (And like addicts, this can probably help you find out who your friends really are...)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, you should cut back on sodas anyway. That shit'll help cause kidney stones. And I promise you, you don't want those.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why can't you substitute coffee to get your caffiene fix while you cut off the pop, and wean yourself down from there? Soda is incredibly bad for you on a variety of levels, any solution that involves still drinking at any amount to me seems half assed when caffeine is the real issue.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well I think it's the sugar too.

I really drink the stuff to elevate my mood an attention span and regulate my sleep cycle.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Coffee also tastes like ass. Put all the sugar and creme in it you like, but it's still a hot cup of ass. It will also give you terrible breath and if you drink too much of it, horrendous body odor.

If the goal was to limit, if not outright eliminate caffeine intake, I'd recommend tea.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, man. I know how you're feeling. I was downing 100+ oz. of coffee a day (Plus a common daily rockstar) a couple months back. I beat it by just making the stuff completely unavailable, and then considered the money I would save each month not spending money on any sort of caffeine. I did what most people suggest not to do and went completely cold turkey, which resulted in a constant headache for about 4-5 days. I feel way better not being dependent on the stuff anymore, however.

That. Don't keep any more of it around than you need (if you're weaning yourself off of it), and don't keep any of it if you're going cold turkey.

I know it sounds corny, but just keep thinking positive, and keep the goals day to day (think, "I just have to get through today," then repeat the next day, etc.).

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    CircaCirca Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They sell caffiene supplements in the form of pills at convenience stores. Usually branded NoSnooze or something similar. Typically these contain around 200mg caffiene per pill, but if you take about a quarter of a pill, it should probably be enough to do away with a caffiene withdraw headache.

These could be useful to ween yourself off the caffiene and switching straight to water or juice or something healthier.

Circa on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure concentrated doses of caffeine in pill form is a good idea in this instance. Even cutting them up.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I can't imagine what it would hurt, unless the OP is an ex-pill popper who needs his stimulant fix.

Circa on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    We're talking about somebody who's identified their weakness and admits that at least half of it is to regulate their sleeping habits. Giving them a pill form is a bit like saying 'Here, you can have this, too!'

I don't recommend it, at least.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Switch to the caffeine-free version of your favorite soda. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a step in the right direction. When you start getting a craving, you can distract your body by feeding it a substance with a similar taste, which will take some of the edge off. Eventually, your body won't crave the caffeine anymore, and you'll notice your overall soda consumption start to decrease too.

My situation wasn't quite as dire as yours (I was drinking about 6 sodas a day, I think), but I switched to the caffeine-free stuff in an effort to improve my sleep patterns. Now I'm down to 3 sodas a day, and I'm honestly fine with that even if it never decreases any further, though it probably will.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's a pretty excellent way to get rid of a caffiene headache or prevent caffiene cravings without indulging in soda. I am not recommending you use caffiene pills just to get your daily caffiene fix. This is a way to remove yourself from the soda addiction without crippling headaches.

Circa on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    While this may not help the caffeen cravings, I found sugar-free kool-aid and Crystal Light to be awesome substitutes for soda. Since switching over I don't even crave soda anymore, which considering how much I used to drink is kind of impressive.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For the headaches. Most Asprin has minor amounts of Caffine. Can help take the edge off when the withdrawls hit.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Circa wrote: »
    It's a pretty excellent way to get rid of a caffiene headache or prevent caffiene cravings without indulging in soda. I am not recommending you use caffiene pills just to get your daily caffiene fix. This is a way to remove yourself from the soda addiction without crippling headaches.

For a normal person under normal circumstances with an acceptable amount of willpower, sure. The OP has admitted that he has a borderline crippling caffeine/soda addiction. Giving him a much easier, quicker way to take vast amounts of this drug is not a good idea.

Figgy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Uriel wrote: »
    I just worked it out, about 400 mgs of caffeine a day, I am probably going to die.

This sucks ass, I can't fucking do this. This shit has my balls in a vice.
    This is the equivalent of roughly three cups of coffee per day. You can stop freaking out about the caffeine, now.

My suggestion would be to substitute water with some lemon or lime juice in it for soda; I drink a lot of that during the week, seems to help quite a bit, and adds some taste to the water I'm drinking.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Or a little more than two Starbucks (short size) coffees. Not a big deal.

I second the idea of Crystal Lite. I buy the single serving packs (comes with 10 little pouches intended to be used in bottled water) and use 2 packs per jug of water. It's like watered down juice, but it's enough sweetness for me.

Edit; Fuck, man. You're drinking the equivalent of less than one vente coffee from Starbucks per day. I think you should be more worried about the sugar intake than the caffeine.

Edit:edit: And the amount of money you're spending? 12 cans a day? Even when I buy pop on sale it's like $3 - $4 for a 12 pack. Saving between $90 and $120 per month because you're no longer buying pop should be a pretty good incentive to quit, no?

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Circa wrote: »

For a normal person under normal circumstances with an acceptable amount of willpower, sure. The OP has admitted that he has a borderline crippling caffeine/soda addiction. Giving him a much easier, quicker way to take vast amounts of this drug is not a good idea.

My understanding was that the OP has developed a physical dependence on caffiene as a result of his soda usage. If the OP enjoys getting high on caffiene, the pills are probably not a good idea. In any case though, this entire issue is an exercise in self-control. If you don't have the self-control to not over indulge in caffiene pills, you probably don't have the self-control to drop a caffiene addiction altogether either.

If he is simply looking for a way to prevent withdraw symptoms, the pills are a viable alternative to soda or other caffeinated drinks. A box of caffiene pills cut into fourths to prevent withdraw symptoms will also be significantly cheaper than buying a supply of caffienated drinks to stave off the cravings.

When I quit soda (I still drink the occasional soda, but its more of a monthly treat) my biggest issue was getting my body acclimated to the idea that my fluid intake should not be a source of sugar and stimulants, but simply a source of hydration. The sooner you can get accustomed to just drinking plain water, the better.

Circa on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    12 cans a day? how the fuck are you alive. not from caffeine, but from sugar and acid. If I drink 3 a day my throat will get raw and i'll simply get sick.

Tea with some good raw sugar in it is a good replacement for soda. It will satisfy most of the aspects of soda minus the carbonation and certainly less acid.

Some higher quality lemonade is also not bad. And then of course just ice cold water.

Jasconius on