As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Most Comfortable Shoes Ever

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently got a job where I need to stand for an extended (8 - 10 hours) period of time. My current shoes are NOT cutting it, and I need to invest in a new pair of black dress shoes (ideally loafers, for convenience, but that's really just a plus) so my day isn't filled with chronic foot pain. Does anyone have suggestions of a brand, type of shoe, place to go, or person I could talk to about getting fitted? Or any other method, really, of finding the most comfortable shoes ever.

Much obliged.

silence1186 on

• BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Have you tried any sort of insert?

BoomShake on
  • Moses555Moses555 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I had this exact problem. I worked at a gas station, and I was on my feet 8-9 hours straight standing still. As BoomShake suggested, Dr. Sholl's (sp?) inserts solved 80% of the problem, and as I got used to the job, the pain went away entirely.

Moses555 on
    Bear down, Chicago Bears!
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm a huge fan of Rockport shoes, they make great loafers, and are extremely comfortable. I walk a mile to and from work pretty much everyday in them, which definitely isn't the same as standing but they definitely surprised me with their comfort. Unless I'm wearing shorts (which apparently make dress socks unacceptable) they're all I ever wear. Snagged my first pair at a Macy's or something but got another black friday last year at Payless and love em'.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got Hush Puppies Academic loafers:

http://www.amazon.com/Hush-Puppies-Mens-Academic/dp/B001BEEZO6

They're very comfortable, and have a gel sole so not to tire out your heels. I love mine.

Lewisham on
  • RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't recommend a specific shoe but I find anything by Clarks, Naturalizer, Easy Spirit, or Merrell to be comfortable

Rayze on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I believe the inserts I use are from Powerstep. Started using them during an old job where I stood all day. Made such a huge difference. The cushioning in most shoes, especially dress shoes, is laughably thin or nonexistent.

I got some gel heel things too, which I personally find very helpful.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Rockport shoes, they make great loafers, and are extremely comfortable. I walk a mile to and from work pretty much everyday in them, which definitely isn't the same as standing but they definitely surprised me with their comfort. Unless I'm wearing shorts (which apparently make dress socks unacceptable) they're all I ever wear. Snagged my first pair at a Macy's or something but got another black friday last year at Payless and love em'.

I was going to recommend Rockport too. I think they have a line with extra-comfortable insoles too.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »

I was going to recommend Rockport too. I think they have a line with extra-comfortable insoles too.

I don't own any, but I've heard good things, I think I may look into getting some too... hmmm

blakfeld on
  • jthmjthm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ecco.

I've had rockports, and clarks, and they don't compare. You will pay out the ass for em, but Ecco's are ridiculously comfortable.

jthm on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Doc Marten's.

Sturdy, comfortable, a little pricey, but worth the investment. I've worn a pair practically every day for the last 3 years. They are majestic.

Jasconius on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Go and get yourself an account with Zappos.com, they sell shoes (and other things) and have motherfuckin' free return shipping. I was in a similar situation as yourself. At one point I had almost $1000 worth of dress shoes in my apartment, settled on a model of Rockports built off of a running shoe design, and shipped everything else back with zero issues.
    Seriously, Zappos.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zappos is that rare company where the hype is absolutely justified. Masterful business. I was overwhelmed.

Plus your first order is free next day shipping or something.

Jasconius on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's peasantry. They gave away lifetime admission to their VIP program for a couple of days, and as one of those perks I have free overnight shipping on every single order ever.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whatever you do if you get inserts don't bother with the gel dr scholl crap. I'm a big guy and on my feet for 10 hours a day. Spend the 50 bucks and go to wal-mart and get the custom fit dr scholls (the ones where you stand on the machine and the computer tells you which one to get) Best investment ever. The day I started using them my feet never hurt again.

King Kong on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Keens are really comfy, they tend to be wider at the end so that you've got plenty of space for the width of your foot too. If you're doing a ton of walking though I've gotten the impression that the soles aren't quite as durable as other companies, meaning they seem to wear out a bit faster.

Hypatia on
This discussion has been closed.