As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World Cup] Yellow Rain in Johannesburg. Perfect win record for Paul the Octopus!

1212223242527»

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buddy Lee wrote: »
    I think it's funny that, while De Jong didn't receive a red card for that challenge, one PennyArcade user was carded for posting a .GIF of the challenge.

The refs here have access to instant replays and records D:.

You can tell it's not governed by FIFA

Alegis on
    edited July 2010
    Dutch commentary for the goal from Iniesta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRWOjDYAMmg

'Buitenspel' (which he repeats all the time) means Offside

"I WANT TO SEE IT I WANT TO SEE IT"

Alegis on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There is a legitimate case to make for the goal to be called offside... not on the final pass but on the one the dutch defense punted back to spain 10 seconds earlier. Because the pass didn't reach the player, it's debatable if it's a call, but it's hard to say he was not "involved in the play" since if he wasn't where he was, the defenders wouldn't have wildly kicked the ball. Not to mention the whole attack came from a free kick that hit the wall, changed direction by 20 degrees, yet was given a goal kick.

That being said, NL did not play well, and too harsh, and many of the cards were deserved. Spain, especially the second half, flopped like crazy though, and really should've been carded a few times for that alone.

De Jong's kick is a tricky thing, i'm fairly certain it was an accident, which would fall under "dangerous play" (Remember we had a player go to dental surgery for a similar incident, kicked in the face, just a game ago, was a yellow too).

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We're never going to get this close again I fear. Van Bronckhorst and Van Bommel are retiring, Kuijt is 29, Van Persie and Van Der Vaart are 27, Sneijder and Robben are in their prime at 26. The 'Golden Generation' is practically over.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Poor old Netherlands, the perpetual runners up.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
    edited July 2010
    Hey now, we still have our '88 title, although I could barely walk at the time.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    bwanie wrote: »
    that dude was happy to jump into it.

He looked ecstatic while the physio check to see if his ribs were broken.

Tav on
    edited July 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    Hey now, we still have our '88 title, although I could barely walk at the time.

Well, you shouldn't have been drinking so heavily.
    Yes, you were too young.. but I had to say that

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, after amazing us all this tournament, Paul the psychic octopus is going to retire from the prediction business. Maybe in 4 years we can drag him out of retirement for one last go around.

quovadis13 on
  • PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sadly next go-round Paul will likely be deceased... octopi have quite a short lifespan (maybe 5 years) and likely shorter in captivity.

This is likely the only reason why Paul and his kin have not conquered the world.

Phisti on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah those things are hella smart. Octopi are freaking awesome. They're the dexterous apes/humans of the sea.

Alegis on
  • CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Yeah those things are hella smart. Octopi are freaking awesome. They're the dexterous apes/humans of the sea.

And they're really tasty too!! :winky:

Cristo on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Paul's first prediction set, he only got 4 of 6. Next set he gets 6 of 6, then he's suddenly no longer bound to predicting German games. His precognitive ability has been getting exponentially more powerful. I think this "retirement" is a sham to hide the truth.

Octoparrot on
  • Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    1224274569429.jpg?ts=1278956904

D'awww
    They're Spain's Infantas.

Saint Madness on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just. What the fuck Seattle. WIN A GAME DAMN IT.

projectmayhem on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    <snip>

D'awww
    They're Spain's Infantas.

IT'S NOT SOLID GOLD?! :x:x:x
    they're so adorable! *squeee!*

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • CenturionCenturion Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Centurion on
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I saw that this morning already but I still have to say "d'awww" each time I watch the video.

Apparently after she says "hey, we can wait for a minute and talk about other things..." he says, "No, I'd rather kiss you" or something to that effect. Then he swoops in. SO CUTE.

Spacemilk on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like how she's all "Okay let's talk about the match" and he's just like "Aw hell naw get over here woman" and then she has no idea what to do afterward

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Diego Forlan got the golden ball? Didn't see that coming. Xavi didn't even get silver or bronze. Bah humbug.

Yougottawanna on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    south%20africa%20soccer%20wcup%20final%20netherlands%20spain-2024520834_v2.rp350x350.jpg

Bacardi gets cred for tihs one.

Whats going on here?

The explanation is quite literally a couple posts above it! :lol:

Dude runs on to put a hat on the trophy and gets a face full of ouch.

Did they at least give the security guy a red card or are we still playing by K-1 rules?

GungHo on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    *snip*

Bacardi gets cred for tihs one.

Whats going on here?

The explanation is quite literally a couple posts above it! :lol:

Dude runs on to put a hat on the trophy and gets a face full of ouch.

Did they at least give the security guy a red card or are we still playing by K-1 rules?

Nah the ref didn't see it.

Also, is Casillas and that woman an item? 'Cause they should be. So cute.

edit: Yes, yes they are an item. That's pretty crazy.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/419150-2010-fifa-world-cup-spains-iker-casillas-kisses-his-wag-sara-carbone

Big Classy on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    I'm surprised the Dutch didn't sub on Badr Hari in extra time.

815165 on
    edited July 2010
    Damn you, Iker, and your wiles! <3

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Alegis wrote: »

So should we not be eating Paul and taking his power before he dies?

Crap I really wish I'd believed in him earlier ande made a lot of big bets.

DarkWarrior on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So are we going to turn this thread into real soccer thread ? its about that time to set up some fantasy leagues and shit , http://fantasy.premierleague.com/ is all turned over into 2010 so lets get this shit on.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just. What the fuck Seattle. WIN A GAME DAMN IT.
    Going back to MLS after the WC is like having a whirlwind affair with a supermodel, then coming home to your fat harpy of a wife.

Well, at least I get to go back to cheering against Landycakes come Sunday.

Oh, shit, we play the Sounders this Thursday. It'll be a battle of the crappy.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited July 2010
    Hey now, hey. a DC United fan calling another team crappy, thats just...thats just wrong =p

projectmayhem on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey now, hey. a DC United fan calling another team crappy, thats just...thats just wrong =p
    No, no. I'm calling us both crappy. Frankly, I think we should both be happy if both teams are able to find their way onto the pitch and not trip over their shoelaces. Small victories.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited July 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    No, no. I'm calling us both crappy. Frankly, I think we should both be happy if both teams are able to find their way onto the pitch and not trip over their shoelaces. Small victories.

Hahaha. Look at the bright side, even if we score like 20 goals, we will somehow give the game away in the last 10min.

Also, working on a football/soccer thread.

projectmayhem on
  • Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tumblr_l5ev471yGX1qzj1uuo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1279052134&Signature=NlRsnOiaKNE89QcO3BlneZoFyoI%3D

Saint Madness on
    edited July 2010
    Haha, just read on BBC teletext (or whatever it is called on freeview/freesat) "world cup final wins 20m viewers in uk; BBC 1 peaked at 17.9m viewers with a 60% share of the audience. On Itv the figures peaked at 3.8 million, a 13% share of the audience."

ITV, you just got bitch slapped by the BBC and the viewing public.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    People only watched it onBBC because they wanted to see Seedorf's reaction. I know I did.

Big Classy on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Haha, just read on BBC teletext (or whatever it is called on freeview/freesat) "world cup final wins 20m viewers in uk; BBC 1 peaked at 17.9m viewers with a 60% share of the audience. On Itv the figures peaked at 3.8 million, a 13% share of the audience."

ITV, you just got bitch slapped by the BBC and the viewing public.
    This seems to happen every year, I guess ITV have nothing else that could gain 3.8m viewers who aren't interested in football.

815165 on
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.marca.com/2010/07/13/futbol/mundial_2010/selecciones/espana/1278974476.html

Pepe Reina is incredibly drunk and loud, and it's awesome.

Arsenal fans probably shouldn't watch it though.

Diarmuid on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    http://www.marca.com/2010/07/13/futbol/mundial_2010/selecciones/espana/1278974476.html

Pepe Reina is incredibly drunk and loud, and it's awesome.

Arsenal fans probably shouldn't watch it though.

No problem from this Arsenal fan... he loves Barca, and he'll return to Barca. But, he'll do so when we want him to, and for the price we want.

Funny though, you could see the look on his face when the kit finally got over his head... "Oh shit, this isn't going to go over well!"

oldmanken on