As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lego Harry Potter - Compulsively smashing stuff for studs

2»

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    antherem wrote: »
    Just got to
    Christmas Year 1. All the characters running around in Santa hats? Awesome.
    I had a couple of questions since I am a dirty Gamefly renter and don't have the manual:
    * How do you save and quit from Hogwarts? Or more generically, how do you force a save? (I'm on 360.)
    * How do you Free Play in Hogwarts?

Can't force a save, only thing I don't like. However if you can find an unlockable, it'll save right there. And during your year when the ghost is guiding you through the castle, feel free to side trek anywhere in the castle and he'll happily lead you to the next area when you're ready.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ToyD wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    I just wanna say, I wish I knew that I had to go into extras to turn on my red bricks before I beat the game. I coulda had so much more money :(

Once you get a couple of the higher multipliers, it really doesn't matter. To the tune of maxing out the stud counter in just a level or two. I'm still in Year 3 working my way through. Unlocking stuff as I go, but haven't purchased anything yet. Waiting until I get the multipliers before I start purchasing unlocks. Really enjoying seeing the castle change every year.

Most interesting. Can you return to previous years?

I'll caveat and say I haven't done it yet because I'm working through the story, however in the Leaky Cauldron, there is a bulletin Board listing all your years and I'm sure you can select previous ones to go back through the story to get missed things. However I am not sure if this only takes you through the story portion or if you can revisit hogwarts itself. Hopefully you can revisit the previous years for things that change like the Defense Against the Dark Arts class and so on.

This game is looking more and more appealing by the minute. Shame it's so new and Steam won't be having a sale on it. I may buckle down and pick it up anyway.

Tamin on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just realized that I have an old Wireless Nunchuck. It's terrible for anything involving motion controls but it functions fine as a joystick & buttons.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lego games I think are the best games ever to play with your wife/fiance/gf, and sometimes the only ones they will play....

We used to play Mario on the Wii however that starts huge fights - 4 player mode destroys families.

phishstik on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I managed to hit 100% completion, but the trophy for all 200 gold bricks never unlocked. Annoying, as it's the first game I decided was reasonable enough in its trophy requirements to get a platinum.

Artereis on
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Now I'm at a point of frustration with this game. All the story/free play levels are 100% complete. All the bonus levels (1-10) are complete. Got the gold brick in Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley. Got all the extra characters save for the one you get for getting all gold bricks. Got all Students in Peril. Got all red bricks. Missing 3 gold bricks and I can't for the life of me figure out where they are. I've been wandering the grounds at Hogwarts for hours with the gold brick detector on and haven't turned up anything.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Moorening wrote: »
    Now I'm at a point of frustration with this game. All the story/free play levels are 100% complete. All the bonus levels (1-10) are complete. Got the gold brick in Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley. Got all the extra characters save for the one you get for getting all gold bricks. Got all Students in Peril. Got all red bricks. Missing 3 gold bricks and I can't for the life of me figure out where they are. I've been wandering the grounds at Hogwarts for hours with the gold brick detector on and haven't turned up anything.

I went back through Hogwarts and found a darn area I didn't even know existed last night. That durn area behind the Dark Arts class you open with Dark Magic. Man, there's no telling where some of these are. Time turner areas? You sure they're in hogwarts? Not in the leaky cauldron, gringotts, or diagon alley?

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, the original Lego Star Wars was fun.
    The second one was not fun, and nor was Lego Batman. They'd got too fiddly on the level design, and lost any idea of pace.
    How much does this fix things?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    So, the original Lego Star Wars was fun.
    The second one was not fun, and nor was Lego Batman. They'd got too fiddly on the level design, and lost any idea of pace.
    How much does this fix things?

LOTS better. I had a problem with Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Batman because you couldn't group the characters very well and thus you had way too many small things everyone had to do so you had to use them all. This pretty well fixes that and sets you back with "groups" of characters like in Lego Star Wars. Also, half of the "level" is going through hogwarts to start the next story level. In my opinion, the levels are certainly fun, but Hogwarts is a lot more fun.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, as a Harry Potter fan who hasn't picked up this game yet, just reading this thread has me all HP crazy again. I played the demo, and it seemed like someone playing the game who hasn't read the books would be at a considerable disadvantage, as a lot of the terminology would be lost on them. Using a light spell on Devil's Snare? Makes sense to me, but not to a HP newcomer.

I'm assuming the game does a good job with little inside jokes and nods to HP fans?

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    LEGO games more or less expect you to know what's going on already, or be a kid who's too young to care about the details.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    bficky wrote: »
    Man, as a Harry Potter fan who hasn't picked up this game yet, just reading this thread has me all HP crazy again. I played the demo, and it seemed like someone playing the game who hasn't read the books would be at a considerable disadvantage, as a lot of the terminology would be lost on them. Using a light spell on Devil's Snare? Makes sense to me, but not to a HP newcomer.

I'm assuming the game does a good job with little inside jokes and nods to HP fans?

The fat lady screams and breaks a wineglass behind her back when you try to go into the Gryffindor common room. It's much more movie oriented than book oriented, but yes, LOTS of small things. You can watch Moody turn Malfoy into a rat at one point just kind of off to the side. Also, only Harry can ride broomsticks well. Those come to mind really quick, but yes, lots of small things.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So what advantages do the bonus spells available in diagon alley actually bring to the table?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    bficky wrote: »

The fat lady screams and breaks a wineglass behind her back when you try to go into the Gryffindor common room. It's much more movie oriented than book oriented, but yes, LOTS of small things. You can watch Moody turn Malfoy into a rat at one point just kind of off to the side. Also, only Harry can ride broomsticks well. Those come to mind really quick, but yes, lots of small things.

The difference in broomstick riding ability crack me up. Hermione should never get near a broomstick.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    DVG wrote: »
    So what advantages do the bonus spells available in diagon alley actually bring to the table?

A chuckle as you spell malfoy as they're leering at you when you walk by. I really don't know of an actual use and haven't managed to get Accio to work yet since most of the time you have to unlock the potion ingredient and, thus, are standing right by it when it appears.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I went back through Hogwarts and found a darn area I didn't even know existed last night. That durn area behind the Dark Arts class you open with Dark Magic. Man, there's no telling where some of these are. Time turner areas? You sure they're in hogwarts? Not in the leaky cauldron, gringotts, or diagon alley?

I got the one in Diagon Alley for cleaning the shop floor (recently so it's fresh in my mind) and bought the 12 in the shop, also no more indidcators there. I got the 10 in Gringotts for the bonus levels. I got the one behind the desk in Knockturn Alley. I got the 4 in the basement of The Leaky Cauldron.

I know the room you're talking about. I found that the other night. I was stumped at 4 remaining gold bricks, then found one I missed in the Hufflepuff dorms where you have to open the safe and give the cake to the painting.

Right now I am systematically going through all the rooms in Hogwarts and clearning them to make sure there is nothing I've missed. So far I've cleared all the dorms and all the rooms off the moving staircase (Rec Room, Dumbledors office, and the one on the stairway itself.

Moorening on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I got the one in Diagon Alley for cleaning the shop floor (recently so it's fresh in my mind) and bought the 12 in the shop, also no more indidcators there. I got the 10 in Gringotts for the bonus levels. I got the one behind the desk in Knockturn Alley. I got the 4 in the basement of The Leaky Cauldron.

I know the room you're talking about. I found that the other night. I was stumped at 4 remaining gold bricks, then found one I missed in the Hufflepuff dorms where you have to open the safe and give the cake to the painting.

Right now I am systematically going through all the rooms in Hogwarts and clearning them to make sure there is nothing I've missed. So far I've cleared all the dorms and all the rooms off the moving staircase (Rec Room, Dumbledors office, and the one on the stairway itself.

How about Hogsmeade?

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

How about Hogsmeade?

Can you get there other than replaying the level in story mode/free play?

Moorening on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

How about Hogsmeade?

Apparently not. Was just looking through a guide and it seems not at all. I had thought the witch statue entrance would lead you there. I suppose they are indeed in hogwarts somewhere. The best guide I've found is over on xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread?t=240369. It has a map of hogwarts and it's connecting areas. At least that way you can check them off as you explore instead of remembering them.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

How about Hogsmeade?

Apparently not. Was just looking through a guide and it seems not at all. I had thought the witch statue entrance would lead you there. I suppose they are indeed in hogwarts somewhere. The best guide I've found is over on xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread?t=240369. It has a map of hogwarts and it's connecting areas. At least that way you can check them off as you explore instead of remembering them.
    Damn, I was hoping it would be something stupid and easy to miss. That's the guide I used for the last Student in Peril. I've been using it for bricks too, but like I said, the only one that's pointed out that I've found was in the Hufflepuff dorms. Though, I figure the systematic clearing of the castle will work. From the stairway up is now clear. Next chance I get it's on through the rest of the castle.

Moorening on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The one in the great hall and the one in the time turner portion of the Gryffindor bedroom were my final 2. The great hall has these sets of green cups on each table that aren't targetable that you need to shoot. The bedroom's brick is inside a chest you need to jump into.

Artereis on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can watch Moody turn Malfoy into a rat at one point just kind of off to the side.
    Shouldn't that be a ferret?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Artereis wrote: »
    The one in the great hall and the one in the time turner portion of the Gryffindor bedroom were my final 2. The great hall has these sets of green cups on each table that aren't targetable that you need to shoot. The bedroom's brick is inside a chest you need to jump into.

Yeah, I checked and already have those...and the one in the area outside the great hall in the high up rolled up flag.

edit: Thank you yet another Lego game for making me feel really dumb. Last night I spent a chunk of time scouring the castle grounds and turning up nothing. So I decided to recheck The Leaky Cauldron, Diagon Alley, Knockturn Alley, and Gringotts. I could have sworn my daughter and I had run through all the bonus levels in Gringotts (well, we did, but we didn't finish a few due to lack of characters at the time). Turns out we missed levels 6, 8, and 10.

Not that it matters though...the game bugged and we can't get all the achievements. It didn't award the achievements for finding all students in peril or collecting the whole quidditch team.

Moorening on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did anyone get this for DS? When I looked this game up on Wikipedia, it said the game's features were greatly reduced on DS (which is understandable), but I'm wondering if I should get this for PS3, DS, or possible both, if the games are different enough.

silence1186 on