As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Japanese Visitors to Canada and their Laptops [Solved]

LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Good morning, H/A!

My coworker is hosting two Japanese exchange students for three months this fall and they are wondering what issues they may encounter attempting to use their laptops at her home. The home has wireless internet and they will be allowed to connect to it for their use. Will there be any "communication" problems between Japanese laptops and Canadian wireless?

Any other little "reminders" or whatnot you can think of would be helpful so I can pass them on to my coworker.

Thanks.

LaOs on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The only thing they may have to do is get an outlet adapter for power. Everything else will work the same.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »
    The only thing they may have to do is get an outlet adapter for power. Everything else will work the same.

Confirming 'dis. All the electronics should work the same, unless they do crazy Linux junk or something. Just make sure they get a good adapter.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Good, good. That's all I thought, but I told my coworker I'd check to make sure, and I figured the power of H/A would know the deal. :P

LaOs on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They probably won't even need an outlet adapter, Japanese and North American outlets are physically identical. Japan uses 100V where North America is standardized on 110V, but almost all laptop power bricks will accept anywhere from 100V to 120V (and many go even higher than that for use in Europe).

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, same power outlets here and there.

However most Japanese I've known aren't too computer savvy, but if you use computers well enough, you shouldn't have too much trouble navigating around theirs to troubleshoot something, even if you don't understand what it says.

They'll probably spend most of the time using their phone for all their communication needs.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I may end up doing some through-another-person computer help, but hopefully things go smoothly for them.

Thanks for the help.

LaOs on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The IEEE standards are there for a reason, they'll be fine

Robman on
This discussion has been closed.