As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Nani is the best header of the ball

projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
The World Cup is over friends and while many great things came, it is time for us to move on!

Enter...the MLS

img-1276047901.jpg

http://mlsoccer.com/
Thats right America! We have our own pro league and despite the haters, its a pretty damn good league.

Ok. I guess if we are being honest here, we are all most looking forward to the new English Premier League (EPL) season. http://www.premierleague.com/page/Home/0,,12306,00.html

Arsenalengland1.jpg

Mmmmm. Just look at that. Sweet sweet football.

Now let us rejoice in Arsenal.

article-0-029903FB000005DC-577_468x680.jpg
bendtner-goal.jpg

EPL Fantasy League:
http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

For those of you that did last years EPL table predictions PM your final score, winner will get something from me. Here are the rules/last years table.
1 Chelsea
2 Manchester United
3 Arsenal
4 Tottenham Hotspur
5 Manchester City
6 Aston Villa
7 Liverpool
8 Everton
9 Birmingham
10 Blackburn Rovers
11 Stoke City
12 Fulham
13 Sunderland
14 Bolton Wanderers
15 Wolverhampton Wanderers
16 Wigan Athletic
17 West Ham United
18 Burnley
19 Hull City
20 Portsmouth

5 points for getting #1
3 points for getting #2
2 points for getting #3 and #4
1 point for #5-#16
2 points for #17-#20

If you want to do another EPL table prediction, PM your table.

The OP will be updated and shit as the weeks come to pass.

Also, this is the best video ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c

EPL FANTASY LEAGUE
Draeven wrote: »
FINE, I created the new Penny Arcade leage on fantasy.premierleague.com

heres the code to join the league:22331-26457
No password.

projectmayhem on

• Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shit, I get jealous every time I see Qwest field and the turnout for Sounders games. DCU really needs to get the stadium situation sorted out. The ownership has hinted that something is in the works.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited July 2010
    I could have swore I heard that DC pinned down something for a Stadium for 2012.

Then again, 2012 lol's and what not.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, DCU needs a stadium, and lets hope it doesn't invovle moving them to baltimore :( So, Project are you gonna set up a new EPL fantasy league ? or are we waiting on someone else?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Gebus. Talk about fucking hype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa72BeDclSo&feature=player_embedded

If this is any player but Henry it will be a let down.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I could have swore I heard that DC pinned down something for a Stadium for 2012.

Nope, nothing yet. There have been two proposals in the last few years- one in DC and one across the river in Maryland. Both fell through for various reasons. If/when we do get a stadium, it's unlikely to be in the District. The rumors are that the ownership is working on sites out in Northern Virginia, but not terribly close in. Given MLS' mixed success with suburban stadiums, that has me worried. But, most of the fanbase comes from NoVa, rather than the District or Maryland, so it might work out.

What we really need is for our current owner to bring in a big money partner. Will Chang is a good guy and he does seem to want DCU to prosper, but he's not rich enough or connected enough in DC to get a stadium deal through. I think the reason he hasn't moved the team yet is because the DC market is a more valuable soccer market than the alternatives.

So, Portland and Vancouver next year. That should be cool for you Northwestern folks. Montreal will be a good addition, and I would put money down that we'd see a NYC2 either 2012 or soon after.

I have to pick an EPL team to follow, if for no other reason than to give me an excuse to drink Saturday mornings. Maybe Everton.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What is this weird thing I'm hearing that Pablo Barrera is joining West Ham?

EDIT: Also, we doing IKTS and the other Premier League thing again, right?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oy, does ESPN still have rights to broadcast EPL games in the US, or are they going to do the shit where Fox and ESPN split it up?

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think ESPN gets the FA Cup games in the UK this season, or something. I don't know what's going on with the US broadcasting, I would expect to see Fox Sports run their share as usual.

Arikado on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »

Nope, nothing yet. There have been two proposals in the last few years- one in DC and one across the river in Maryland. Both fell through for various reasons. If/when we do get a stadium, it's unlikely to be in the District. The rumors are that the ownership is working on sites out in Northern Virginia, but not terribly close in. Given MLS' mixed success with suburban stadiums, that has me worried. But, most of the fanbase comes from NoVa, rather than the District or Maryland, so it might work out.

What we really need is for our current owner to bring in a big money partner. Will Chang is a good guy and he does seem to want DCU to prosper, but he's not rich enough or connected enough in DC to get a stadium deal through. I think the reason he hasn't moved the team yet is because the DC market is a more valuable soccer market than the alternatives.

So, Portland and Vancouver next year. That should be cool for you Northwestern folks. Montreal will be a good addition, and I would put money down that we'd see a NYC2 either 2012 or soon after.

I have to pick an EPL team to follow, if for no other reason than to give me an excuse to drink Saturday mornings. Maybe Everton.

Arrrrsssseeeennnaaaaaaalllll!!!

You'll get the same ups and downs with Arsenal as with Everton, but at least with Arsenal we have the hope of silverware!

Cristo on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Disgusting frenchy team is disgusting.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If I want to cheer for a team full of Frenchmen, I'll support the Algerian national team.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Reason A to support Arsenal.

nasriaction180808_450x390.jpg

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The whole Hodgson to Liverpewl thing has forced me to reconsider my underdog support for Fulham.

I will be looking at Blackpool and Everton but with Chicharito at Man United, I might end up joining the horrible bandwagon if he lights things up.

Arikado on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackpool have to be the ultimate team for anyone who loves an underdog.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If I want to cheer for a team full of Frenchmen, I'll support the Algerian national team.

Oh piss off :P Of the entire squad only Nasri, Sagna, Clichy, and Diaby are French.

Vermaelen is Belgian, Koscielny is Polish, Chamakh is Moroccan, Bendtner is Danish, Ramsey is Welsh, Fabregas is Spanish, Denilson is Brazilian, Arshavin is Russian, Rosicky is Czech, Almunia is Spanish, Djourou is Swiss, Wilshere is English, Walcott is English, Kieran Gibbs is English, Eboue is Ivorian, and Van Persie is Dutch.

Etc. Etc.

It hasn't been a proper French team for years now.

Cristo on
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    The whole Hodgson to Liverpewl thing has forced me to reconsider my underdog support for Fulham.

I will be looking at Blackpool and Everton but with Chicharito at Man United, I might end up joining the horrible bandwagon if he lights things up.

I'm following Chicharito to see how he does. Mexico needs some hope for 2014.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cristo wrote: »

Oh piss off :P Of the entire squad only Nasri, Sagna, Clichy, and Diaby are French.

Vermaelen is Belgian, Koscielny is Polish, Chamakh is Moroccan, Bendtner is Danish, Ramsey is Welsh, Fabregas is Spanish, Denilson is Brazilian, Arshavin is Russian, Rosicky is Czech, Almunia is Spanish, Djourou is Swiss, Wilshere is English, Walcott is English, Kieran Gibbs is English, Eboue is Ivorian, and Van Persie is Dutch.

Etc. Etc.

The entire youth academy is french

frenchies all the way down.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also lol at Fabregas, if he still plays there he won't want to be.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oddly enough, the Arsenal academy has a bunch of Swiss in there. Did Senderos drop off his kids there or something?

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Etc. Etc.

The entire youth academy is french

frenchies all the way down.

Bullshit.

Lansbury, Emmanuel Thomas, Simpson, Barazite, Sanchez Watt, Mark Randall etc. - none of them French.

Cristo on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Go Toronto FC go!

Don't be as bad as the Leafs/Jays/Argonauts, wooo!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lansbury's first name is Henri with an i. Even their Englishmen are French, just like their promising Scottish U17 star Escargot McFoiegras.

Fucking Liverpool. Find your own manager. I bet Fulham finish somewhere between 8-13 or so this year, but then it's all downhill and we'll be back to relegation battles every year.

I kind of want Chicharito to suck for ManU, get traded somewhere else, and then light it up. Unless he grows five inches or so United fans will always be looking to upgrade at his position.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fact. No Great Name has no clue what he is talking about.

Fact. We are only 1/3 French. Geez

:)

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Go Toronto FC go!

Don't be as bad as the Leafs/Jays/Argonauts, wooo!

You forgot the Raptors.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It is in all probability going to be a slaughter, but i am looking forward to the MLS allstar vs ManU game. It should at least be a high profile game.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    From the World Cup thread:

GrimReaper wrote: »
    Haha, just read on BBC teletext (or whatever it is called on freeview/freesat) "world cup final wins 20m viewers in UK; BBC 1 peaked at 17.9m viewers with a 60% share of the audience. On Itv the figures peaked at 3.8 million, a 13% share of the audience."

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/12/2010-world-cup-final-is-most-watched-soccer-game-in-u-s-tv-history-draws-24-3-million/56860
    Yesterday’s World Cup Final between Spain and the Netherlands drew a total of 24.3 million U.S. viewers, making it the most watched soccer game in U.S. television history, according to The Nielsen Company. The figure, which includes viewership on both ABC and Univision during the two-and-a-half-hour game window (2:30 to 5pm ET), surpasses the record of 19.4 million viewers that tuned in to the U.S.-Ghana match earlier in this World Cup.

Most Watched Soccer Games in the U.S.

Rank Date Game Network(s) Viewers
    1 7/11/2010 Spain-Netherlands ABC/Univision 24.3 million
    2 6/26/2010 USA-Ghana ABC/Univision 19.4 million
    3 7/17/1994 Brazil-Italy ABC/Univision 18.1 million
    4 7/10/1999 USA-China (women) ABC 18.0 million
    5 6/12/2010 USA-England ABC/Univision 17.1 million

USA USA! Blah blah blah population size disparity.

Hey now, hey. a DC United fan calling another team crappy, thats just...thats just wrong =p
    No, no. I'm calling us both crappy. Frankly, I think we should both be happy if both teams are able to find their way onto the pitch and not trip over their shoelaces. Small victories.

Hahaha. Look at the bright side, even if we score like 20 goals, we will somehow give the game away in the last 10min.
    You just have to watch the right matches - US Open Cup matches! Won two weeks ago at Portland and last week hosting LA Galaxy.

Yeah...

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ahhhh, a fresh new football thread! Let the transfer speculation run rampant!

oldmanken on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't believe EPL is starting in about a month. I'm especially excited about Arsenal's new kits:

AWAY:
    N_L_A86824A.jpg

HOME:
    N_L_H86808Yy.jpg

Also, how can Liverpool continually produce such shitty away kits? Their home kit is great, but they always fuck up the away kit.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, who wants to set up the fantasy premier league ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hello, non-World Cup thread.

Been playing FIFA 10 a bunch lately. What's up with Diving Headers and Curled Free Kicks? I can't seem to do any diving headers all, and none of the free kicks I curl in count as "Curled Free Kicks". What gives? Any advice?

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, Bob Bradley has suddenly become one of the favourites to become the next Fulham manager, dropping in as low as 5/1 on some betting sites. Bing.

The speculative £2 I stuck on him at 65/1 isn't looking so bad and it will make my world cup betting look a bit more positive.

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We also need to begin discussion about how ridiculous City's spending power is. I mean really. Silva? Where does it end?!

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Women's U-20 World Cup opened an hour ago, with Germany currently wrecking the fuck out of Costa Rica 4-1. Thirty minutes to go. Is anybody else watching?

Edit: For those who don't have access to cable television, the Women's U-20 World Cup can be watched live on FIFA's website.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    About to go to bed but, (w) Germany is fucking good.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Schmidt sent off for grabbing a Costa Rican player's arm and dragging her down in the penalty area. Alvarado takes the penalty and scores. I know this is small potatoes compared to the men's World Cup, but shit like that still has me screaming.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    US Women considered almost prohibitive favorites in this WC I'm assuming? Although they did blow the CONCACAF championship after winning every previous game like 9-0 or something IIRC

My honeymoon is Oct 10-Oct 24 and we're going to Ireland-Scotland-England. So I figure maybe I can catch a Premiership match while I'm there. I tried last time I was over there but there was an international break and then the guy I was trying to get Liverpool tickets from didn't return my call once I was there. So I check the calendar.... half the trip is during an international break (Euro qualifying). Although Ireland and Scotland will be playing home matches....

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    We also need to begin discussion about how ridiculous City's spending power is. I mean really. Silva? Where does it end?!

Mate, £30million and £220,000 per week for Yaya Fucking Toure is even more ridiculous.

Cristo on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Mate, £30million and £220,000 per week for Yaya Fucking Toure is even more ridiculous.

220k p/w for Yaya is the funniest thing I've heard in ages.
    Some quality Peter Ridsdale style negotiation tactics there.

edit: I like Luis Fabiano:
    I have heard Tottenham Hotspur made an inquiry about me but, with all respect, that is not somewhere I am going to be able to win the Premier League or the European Cup in the next three or four years.

There would be no point in me joining Tottenham. I might as well stay at Sevilla, as it's the same thing. Sevilla are actually bigger when you look at how much we have been in the European Cup, so there would be no point me moving to a smaller team.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Haha sick response! He could play for any team in the world.

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Amusing scene in the France-Columbia game. Castro flicks the ball over a defender in the box, passes the ball to Andrade, trips on that same defender; French keeper runs forward to save, but then trips on Castro, leaving the goal wide open. Hurf durf. A last minute goal denying France their victory.

Mumblyfish on