As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me about old-ass Playstation 1 games!

Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer NipplesThe EchidnaRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
I went five pages back and didn't see a similar topic. If it's out there, feel free to link and lock.

Anyway, long story short, I've got about a month (or more) of straight up no-work, no-obligations living coming up and I won't have much/any access to any PS3/xbox action. So I've decided to revisit my old friend, Playstation 1.

My question to you is, what games out there do you think have withstood the test of time? What can I still pick up today and enjoy from the PSX days? I'm sure a lot of the games I have fond memories of are painfully dated gameplay-wise and graphically, but maybe there are still a few gems out there?

Games I've played and will probably still like: Suikoden 1/2 (prolly won't happen thanks to rarity), Einhander, Parappa the Rapper, Valkyrie Profile, Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver

Games I never played but am interested in: Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Tales of Destiny/Eternia, Blood Omen, Wild Arms, Breath of Fire

So tell me about these games! Anything still worth investing the time into? Or tell me about some awesome game I missed along the way (lots of RPGs up there but I'm open to anything).

Houk the Namebringer on

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I still think that the original Colony Wars was one of the best space opera sims ever made. Multiple story branches, epic missions, and a guy who sounds like James Earl Jones narrating it all.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did you ever try Legend of Mana? Because it gets a lot of undeserved hatred by people that loved Secret of Mana for some reason I'll never understand. It still looks pretty good and the soundtrack is phenomenal.

Gilder on
  • Options
    WykedWyked Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    if you havent play castlevania symphony of the night, do it now.

seriously, stop reading, dont reply, go get it..

now...

Wyked on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh for the love of God, get Breath of Fire 3. You get to turn into a dragon. Also Momo and Nina are great. Peco is loved by everyone except me.

Vagrant Story is a good game. The crafting system in it is ball-bustingly big, but in terms of results it's hard to make 'em happen. Luckily you don't have to rely on it. If I remember right, simply using weapons a lot made them better.

Henroid on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll try to list the lesser known titles:

Trap Gunner: "Modern" Spy vs Spy. This means playing multiplayer only, AI is boring.
    Elemental Gearbolt: Do you have a lightgun + CRT? It's a working designs light gun fantasy shooter that was fun
    Strider 2: Short arcade action
    Omega Boost: Rail shooter from the Gran Turismo guys
    Brave Fencer Musashi: I don't know if this stands up anymore but it was a fun Zeldaish game that leads me to...
    Alundra: Zelda but hard... gamefaqs only hard at points
    Devil Dice: Puzzle, hard to explain but awesome
    Intelligent Cube: Same deal as above.

solsovly on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Digimon World.

That game is so goooooood!

Well it's actually kinda bad but if you like Digimon!

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Symphony of the Night is 100% classic must play.

RE: Your list

Vagrant Story- Full 3D, so visually has not aged terribly well, but I still think it's a classic. Very deep combat and equipment ssytem. Very atmospheric

Parasite Eve 1- Rented it. Remembered enjoying thoroughly.

ToD- I have very fond memories of Tales of Destiny, but I was about 10 at the time and I'm sure this game has not aged very well unless you have a really high tolerance for oldschool games. It's charming but definitely "old-ass"

Breath of Fire 3 and 4- I love love love these games. Both are great, but 4 has aged much better visually- it has incredible spritework and animation, great art style. Both games are charming.

+1 for Brave Fencer Musashi, and I will add Star Ocean 2 and the Oddworld games

Scosglen on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hooo-eeee, there is a lot out there. Many of the games that still hold up reasonably well have been remade or rereleased for more modern systems, so who knows what you haven't actually had a chance to play.

Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy Tactics, and my favorite Jumping Flash 2 aren't bad options. The two Oddworld games are good puzzle platformers. The first two Colony Wars games aren't terrible and the graphics aren't bad. Alundra is a fun action RPG.

Good luck. There is a lot to choose from.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh for the love of God, get Breath of Fire 3. You get to turn into a dragon. Also Momo and Nina are great. Peco is loved by everyone except me.

Vagrant Story is a good game. The crafting system in it is ball-bustingly big, but in terms of results it's hard to make 'em happen. Luckily you don't have to rely on it. If I remember right, simply using weapons a lot made them better.
    How can you like Nina and dislike Peco?

Are you from the mirror world!?

Anyway, OP, I definitely recommend Wild ARMs. Both 1 and 2. 2 is technically a better game, but the translation is...really, really bad so it kind of falls behind 1. 1's graphics haven't aged very well but other than that it's still pretty solid. Both are inferior to 3 but that's PS2 so not an option I guess. :(

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think Chrono Cross's graphics are still bearable. Just listen to some of its music and you'll want to (re)play it!

Also, I played Metal Gear Solid for the first time when the Essentials boxset came out, and I loved it.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i'm ashamed im the first to suggest it but Xenogears.

If you've been living under a rock, the first and second Resident Evils.
    Twisted Metal.
    And if you like programming big ass mechs and watching them destroy each other (or run into walls), try Carnage Heart.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bought a used copy of Descent in the original box a couple years ago and it's really good. Perhaps not as good as playing it on the PC but it's still fun as hell.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Colony Wars is something I played absolutely to death, to the point I'm not sure if I can play through it again

I know I played most of the way through one of the Breath of Fires. I don't remember anything about it except being in some underground slum-type city? Then I got stuck somewhere after that and never went back.

FFTactics of course I played into the dirt, but I'm waiting on that till I get off the pot and pick up a PSP and the remake.

What kind of time investment am I looking at with Vagrant Story? It seems interesting, but if it's an 80-hour slog I'd rather hold off. If I remember, this is what Star Ocean 2 is like. I probably put 50 hours into that when I was younger, not sure if I was even close to beating it.

I actually had a friend mention Devil Dice to me the other day. Never heard of it before, I'll hafta look into it. I was never much into Castlevania games (I'm kinda crap at them for some reason) but I do remember SotN being mentioned a lot.

I've never played any Mana game. Am I missing anything if I start with Legend of Mana?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Monster Rancher 2

Done. One month will fly by.

Edit: also, lilnoobs I was going to say the same thing. Even the man with the Fei Avatar didn't suggest it. I nearly cried.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aylwLmpnCk4

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Houk wrote: »
    Colony Wars is something I played absolutely to death, to the point I'm not sure if I can play through it again

I know I played most of the way through one of the Breath of Fires. I don't remember anything about it except being in some underground slum-type city? Then I got stuck somewhere after that and never went back.

FFTactics of course I played into the dirt, but I'm waiting on that till I get off the pot and pick up a PSP and the remake.

What kind of time investment am I looking at with Vagrant Story? It seems interesting, but if it's an 80-hour slog I'd rather hold off. If I remember, this is what Star Ocean 2 is like. I probably put 50 hours into that when I was younger, not sure if I was even close to beating it.

I actually had a friend mention Devil Dice to me the other day. Never heard of it before, I'll hafta look into it. I was never much into Castlevania games (I'm kinda crap at them for some reason) but I do remember SotN being mentioned a lot.

I've never played any Mana game. Am I missing anything if I start with Legend of Mana?

Legend of Mana is a good game with beautiful music and artwork. The story is kinda weird; actually, the entire game is kinda weird but I really liked it. Not as much as I liked the original Secret of Mana but I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that besides it being an awesome game, I used to play it co-op with my grandmother. Anyway, definitely try LoM.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You want a fun filled adventure that doesn't take itself to seriously, have awesome catchy VG music, funny and likeable characters, solid plateforming and combat, not a hint of emo, and one of the best female protagonist out there?

Do you? Do you really?!

Well, have fun with this gem!

Threads_Of_Fate_ntsc-front.jpg

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Call me crazy, but I don;t find anything wrong graphically with that Jumping Flash video Raiden posted.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, as far as fully 3D games go the stuff that was textured more as the system matured has aged worse. Don't let that put you off from some good games, though.

Vagrant Story is something you should try, though there is a fair chance that it's not "for" you. The translation is great and the art style makes up for a lot of the dated looking textures. Also, the combat system is obtuse as fuck. I strongly recommend browsing a guide or two to ensure you don't totally fuck yourself over (you don't need to get a totally complete knowledge of the game mechanics, just get down the basics).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXXjW_5gxCA

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was a little bit of wonderfulness that Konami have been trying to replicate for years with various GBA/Nintendo DS additions to the series. Some have come close, but IMO none have topped it. With exceptions granted for certain parts of the game that have not held up well (looking at you, voice acting and script).

Tales of Destiny was also pretty awesome. I'm probably glossing over some bad parts in my own recollection, but really it was just a lot of fun. I seem to recall the translation being decent at best (with a dungeon somewhere in there which is pretty much impossible to complete without outside assistance, due to a mistranslation). Graphics are 2D sprites, so it has held up fairly well in that department. Stahn (the main character) is kind of a badass, which has carried through pretty well to later games in the series.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The only reason I can't recommend Symphony of the Night is because to buy it for Ps1 you have to pay some pretty mint money when you can just wait the month and buy it on the xbox for 10 dollars. (Which is highly freakin recommended. AND by the time you can use xbox live again the new castlevania will be out!)

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Legend of Mana Thirded or Fourthed or whatever. The graphics are beautiful and (imo) actually stand the test of time (unlike some god ugly games that people remember "fondly"). I spent far, FAR too many hours smithing and listening to various musics.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, don't buy Legend of Mana.

I have that game and I spent exactly 30 minutes, not getting anywhere, until I said fuck it and never touched it again.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tales of Destiny was also pretty awesome. I'm probably glossing over some bad parts in my own recollection, but really it was just a lot of fun. I seem to recall the translation being decent at best (with a dungeon somewhere in there which is pretty much impossible to complete without outside assistance, due to a mistranslation). Graphics are 2D sprites, so it has held up fairly well in that department. Stahn (the main character) is kind of a badass, which has carried through pretty well to later games in the series.
    It's aged pretty terribly really. I think so, anyway. The battles are slow as shit. I still have fun with it from time to time, but it takes a lot more effort on my part than it used to.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Two words

Future

Cop

949_1.jpg

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you're very lucky or have a lot of extra cash then get a copy of Tactics Ogre. Still the best SRPG ever made, and definitely better than FFT.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    It's aged pretty terribly really. I think so, anyway. The battles are slow as shit. I still have fun with it from time to time, but it takes a lot more effort on my part than it used to.

The battles get faster as you get further in the game, though

edit: plus, i quite liked the battle music

edit edit: youtube of some gameplay footage a bit later in the game, without any particular spoileryness -- this guy is totally Doing It Wrong by playing as Rutee instead of Stahn, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKTJs5nOZBE&feature=related

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lunar
    Lunar 2
    Bushido Blade
    Um Jammer Lammy

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    If you're very lucky or have a lot of extra cash then get a copy of Tactics Ogre. Still the best SRPG ever made, and definitely better than FFT.
    I actually have a buddy who owns it and has beaten like a dozen times (if not more)

It's been on my to-do list forever, maybe I'll finally get around to it

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If you liked Einhander,

PHILOSOMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VApOGLjX9fY

One of the best stories in a shooter that I've seen, and the game isn't bad to boot.

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    Lunar
    Lunar 2
    Bushido Blade
    Um Jammer Lammy

Bushido Blade is a lot of fun, as is it's sequel. Nothing like a sword fight that can end in 2 or 3 strokes.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So many good recommendations in this thread. I strongly second future cop and digimon world.

Also all the atlus rpgs of the time are probably still good. Stuff like thousand arms, and rhapsody which was mentioned.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Lunar
    Lunar 2
    Bushido Blade
    Um Jammer Lammy

Bushido Blade is a lot of fun, as is it's sequel. Nothing like a sword fight that can end in 2 or 3 strokes.

i still have the first bushido blade and a PS1 so i can play it now and then
    i never will unlock that guy with the gun, the challenge room was ridiculous

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh for the love of God, get Breath of Fire 3. You get to turn into a dragon.

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you do that late in the first game, too?

Anyway, Metal Gear Solid, Lunar: Silver Star Story 1-2 are MUSTS. Megaman X games are always fun, too, if you like action-platformers.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Lunar
    Lunar 2
    Bushido Blade
    Um Jammer Lammy

i still have the first bushido blade and a PS1 so i can play it now and then
    i never will unlock that guy with the gun, the challenge room was ridiculous

I unlocked him once, long long ago. That challenge room was retarded hard and not worth it since the gun guy sucks.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jet Moto was pretty great in the day (and rocked Wave 64 in the socks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFWgJplzGo

Also I found this nifty site that might help you,
    http://www.playstationmuseum.com/

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lunar 1 and Lunar 2 are still imo some of the best JRPG's ever made. Also Persona 2 is the greatest thing, and has aged quite well due to good animations and a really fantastic art style.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Harvest Moon: Back to Nature (I think?) was pretty awesome. Guaranteed to burn your week pretty fast if you get into it.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Houk wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    I actually have a buddy who owns it and has beaten like a dozen times (if not more)

It's been on my to-do list forever, maybe I'll finally get around to it

Do it. Great game.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blazing Dragons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYqbut29wrs

Great adventure game in the same vein as Sam & Max, made by the Monty Python folks.