As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tell me about old-ass Playstation 1 games!

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bushido Blade saw a shiiit-ton of playtime when it first came out. Somehow I managed to unlock gun guy, but mostly my friends and I would spend our time shooting down bamboo trees

Philosoma looks pretty sweet so I'll look into that, but after the amount of time I spent working on the DS rerelease of Rhapsody, I basically have no desire to be around it ever again

Jet Moto was sweet as hell but I tried playing it a couple years ago and my eyes couldn't handle it. That game could seriously use a remake/sequel

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    If you're very lucky or have a lot of extra cash then get a copy of Tactics Ogre. Still the best SRPG ever made, and definitely better than FFT.
    I actually have a buddy who owns it and has beaten like a dozen times (if not more)

It's been on my to-do list forever, maybe I'll finally get around to it

Do it. Great game.

Hmmm... I only played Ogre Battle 64, and Tactics Ogre was in the same series... I might have to find this game.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh also if you like gundam and/or fighting games, Gundam Battle Assault 2 is pretty rad.

Jubeh on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    after the amount of time I spent working on the DS rerelease of Rhapsody, I basically have no desire to be around it ever again
    I know, that's why I mentioned it BWUAHAHAHAH

Also,

CLOCK TOWER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFsSPny1JM

After playing this game, no other horror game will scare you ever again.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Falken on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man

This thread is meant for me

I just got my copy of Brave Fencer Musashi the other day from eBay and I've been playing it and it's still awesome

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010
    Also, if you can find a copy,

SILENT BOMBER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOUSMx7z2BQ

UnbreakableVow on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grandia and Valkyrie Profile are on the top of my favorite PS1 games for sure.

blaze_zero on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you can get a hold of it you should play Alundra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJQmJVj-Zoc&feature=related

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gotta spread my love for Breath of Fire 3 and Star Ocean: The Second Story in this here thread!

Also, I have a soft-spot for Granstream Saga, even though I bet it's aged horrendously.

Kami on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i still have the first bushido blade and a PS1 so i can play it now and then
    i never will unlock that guy with the gun, the challenge room was ridiculous

It's all about spamming the basic katana thrust from mid position.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited July 2010
    Kami wrote: »
    Also, I have a soft-spot for Granstream Saga, even though I bet it's aged horrendously.

I own this

I haven't played it yet

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Grandia and Valkyrie Profile are on the top of my favorite PS1 games for sure.

Grandi is the best JRPG ever made. A truly special game. How anyone can dislike Justin, Sue and Feena I will never know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGiNEaNxOxo

Listen to that music, it's redolent of adventure and excitement. No fucking angst here - we're off to see the world and then save it. And get the girl. And learn important life lessons. Great characters, graphics that hold up well and and an awesome battle system.

Lets go!

Gadwin's Secret Move
    Dragon King Slice

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

edited July 2010
    I've been pondering Grandia since it's downloadable for PS3 now

But every time I look up gameplay videos on Youtube it looks so bad

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010
    I recently replayed Grandia on the PSN again. It's still an amazing game.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    Also, if you can find a copy,

SILENT BOMBER
    Awesome game. 100% pure silly goose of a final boss.

Alistair Hutton on

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The original Silent Hill has aged amazingly well. Definitely try that.

Also consider Klonoa, which was easily one of the best platformers on the system.

Xagarath on
    edited July 2010

Find better videos. The battle system is simply brilliant. The only RPG that I've played that betters it is Grandia II, however Grandia II's plot and characters are utterly awful.

Alistair Hutton on

edited July 2010
    What. Grandia II was good. It was Extreme and III that were terrible.

Also, the few problems that Grandia I's battle system had were fixed when it moved to 3D.

blaze_zero on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    after the amount of time I spent working on the DS rerelease of Rhapsody, I basically have no desire to be around it ever again
    I know, that's why I mentioned it BWUAHAHAHAH

My friend always raved about Rhapsody. I was excited to finally get to play it, and he wanted to own it again on DS. Still can't believe it was ruined that badly.

Silent Bomber is amazing. I stumbled upon a demo disc (many, many years later) and immediately hunted down a copy. I also turned it off at the final boss...don't remember anything in particular, except that it was indeed bullshit.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited July 2010

Find better videos. The battle system is simply brilliant. The only RPG that I've played that betters it is Grandia II, however Grandia II's plot and characters are utterly awful.

See, I didn't enjoy Grandia II's battle system at all (or its plot or characters)

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Also consider Klonoa, which was easily one of the best platformers on the system.

This right here.

They really need to release this on PS1 Classics

UnbreakableVow on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The original Silent Hill has aged amazingly well. Definitely try that.

Yeah, Silent Hill is still a really good game, despite somewhat clunky controls (all survival horror games made in that era had that problem though) and a draw distance of about 2 feet. I played it for the first time a few years ago and it had some amazing atmosphere.

edit: Robo Pit was a lot of fun as well, all being able to customize your robot and beat the shit out of your AI opponents and friends. Good times.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited July 2010
    What. Grandia II was good.

I BELIEVE with my HEART of LIGHT but DARKNESS comes and my HEART is DARK and LIGHT doesn't DARK... LIGHT... HEART...

*sigh*

There's a robot that doesn't understand the meaning of love for gooddness sake. A robot who doesn't understand the meaning of love! Fortunately she has an area affect cancel special otherwise she'd have driven me mad.

And one of the bosses you fight is a giant floating heart with swords sticking out of it. Seriously.

Despite having a ninja turtle voicing the main character I can't even remember the names of the characters in Grandia II but I can give you live life stories for every minor character in Grandia I.

Alistair Hutton on

• Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    playstation_crash_bandicoot_large.jpg

Dox the PI on
    edited July 2010

This right here.

Why, when they could just port the lovely Wii remake over?

Xagarath on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Playstation games that have withstood the test of time? Oh my....

The playstation port of Doom is worth checking out because they replaced the classic soundtrack with a more ambient background. Its interesting, and Doom is one of the few shooters that works better on gamepad than on PC.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grandia II was amazing. I've found that a lot of the people who didn't fully enjoy it didn't play it on Dreamcast when it was originally released.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited July 2010

I BELIEVE with my HEART of LIGHT but DARKNESS comes and my HEART is DARK and LIGHT doesn't DARK... LIGHT... HEART...

*sigh*

There's a robot that doesn't understand the meaning of love for gooddness sake. A robot who doesn't understand the meaning of love! Fortunately she has an area affect cancel special otherwise she'd have driven me mad.

And one of the bosses you fight is a giant floating heart with swords sticking out of it. Seriously.

Despite having a ninja turtle voicing the main character I can't even remember the names of the characters in Grandia II but I can give you live life stories for every minor character in Grandia I.

Meh, it's a JRPG, you should expect that. I've seen more trite shit than that.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010

This right here.

Because no one bought the lovely Wii remake

And no one would buy it on PS3 or 360, just like no one bought Klonoa 1 or 2. I'm really surprised the remake even came out over here.

But a PS1 Classic version? That pretty much requires no work on Namco's part.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010
    New rule. Any game that features a robot that doesn't understand the meaning of love cannot be a good game.

You are allowed to be amazed though. Amazed that anyone would dare to put in such cliched hack work.

And yes, I played it on Dreamcast.

Alistair Hutton on

edited July 2010
    I'm going to make a game where the whole cast are a bunch of robots who do not understand the meaning of love. I will then capture you and make you play it until the end of your days.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010

He said Grandia II, not Kingdom Hearts II

Also, Dox, why the hell would you recommend the original Crash Bandicoot? It's pretty...not good. 2 and Warped are aces though, and some of my favorite platformers.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010

This right here.

And no one would buy it on PS3 or 360, just like no one bought Klonoa 1 or 2. I'm really surprised the remake even came out over here.

And by your logic, it wouldn't sell either.

They might at least let the no-Wii fans (which doesn't include me) enjoy the better version

Xagarath on
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to make a game where the whole cast are a bunch of robots who do not understand the meaning of love. I will then capture you and make you play it until the end of your days.

If you can improve of Grandia II's battle system further I'll still stick in 50 hours of dedicated play.

And then make sarcastic posts of forums afterwards.

Alistair Hutton on

edited July 2010
    Grandia 2's plot and characters were no worse than any Final Fantasy of your choice.
    It just didn't have the FF logo to blind people to the fact.

Xagarath on
    edited July 2010

This right here.

And by your logic, it wouldn't sell either.

They might at least let the no-Wii fans (which doesn't include me) enjoy the better version

It wouldn't sell well

But there'd be pretty much no time or manpower put into it

Not really a loss at all for Namco, might even be a small gain

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010
    Grandia III made some improvements on the battle system for the most part. Air combos are fuuuuuuun.

blaze_zero on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

If you can improve of Grandia II's battle system further I'll still stick in 50 hours of dedicated play.

And then make sarcastic posts of forums afterwards.
    Have you played Grandia 3?

Better battles and worse characters.
    There are exactly two characters that don't suck in the game and they both bail out about four or five hours in, never to be seen again.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited July 2010
    Miranda was the best. <3

blaze_zero on