Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

You come at the king, you best not miss. (Also Boardwalk Empire)

YaYaYaYa Rick and Morty forever and ever 100 years!a100timesRickandMorty.comRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Social Entropy++
on a whim, I bought the entire series of this show, maybe you've heard of it

the_wire_-_season_5.jpg

now I'd heard the hype

it's been called the best show on television, the smartest show, maybe the best drama ever made

for once, I can say that without a doubt it's true

it's gritty, it's very realistic and has some of the most well-drawn and compelling characters I've ever seen

the-wire-20080104022509454-001.jpg

Omar alone could have an entire series to himself, a gay bad-ass who robs other drug dealers

but goddamn pretty much everyone on this show is incredible in their own ways

so let's talk about it

also, mark your spoilers, I'm only 3 episodes into season 3 and hopefully this thread'll convince others to pick it up

oh, and this show just started!

boardwalk-empire-la-1-14-10.jpg

it's about prohibition in Atlantic City and it has basically every good actor in it ever, you should watch it

especially because of this man:

michael-kenneth-williams.jpg?d=600

YaYa on

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood Living Proof That Sometimes Friends Are Mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i bought season 1 and 2 dirt cheap at a blockbuster closing sale

i'm only three episodes in but i like it so far

SPJbSps.png
  • World as MythWorld as Myth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yes!! we just finished season 5 a couple days ago (it was a rewatch for me, but the first time for cap)

omar little for president

kQwcZLJ.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    i thought carcetti was gonna be
    Spoiler:

edited July 2010
    i'm about halfway through season five. it's okay. i'll finish it eventually.

edited July 2010
    Spoiler:

but he doesn't fix anything

that's the point

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    aaaaand
    Spoiler:

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I should re-watch this again, it is so good.

What other series would I enjoy if I enjoyed this?

• P10P10 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm just going to leave this here (contains some spoilers, obviously)
    THE WIRE - 100 Greatest Quotes (spoilers)
    Generation Kill is by the same people and is also fantastic, so you should watch that.

• zimfanzimfan Registered User
    edited July 2010
    I really want this to be put up on Instant Queue

I will watch it so hard

PasscodeSig.png
    edited July 2010
    Spoiler:

that's the point

yeah, that's true
    Spoiler:

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The best wire quote: sheeeeeeiiiiit

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Wire is a tough sell for people. It's one of those shows where you can't be surfing the web or conversing with friends while you watch. You need to be paying complete attention or else you miss something. I've watched it from start to finish a few times, and I always pick up on something new.

If you liked The Wire and haven't watched Treme yet, the first season just concluded. Definitely give it a watch, it's just as compelling.

1EAFQ.gif
  • Darth AardvarkDarth Aardvark Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    The Wire is a tough sell for people. It's one of those shows where you can't be surfing the web or conversing with friends while you watch. You need to be paying complete attention or else you miss something. I've watched it from start to finish a few times, and I always pick up on something new.

If you liked The Wire and haven't watched Treme yet, the first season just concluded. Definitely give it a watch, it's just as compelling.

So true. I got bored halfway through the first episode twice before I realized that I couldn't be reading forums while watching like I can with most other shows.

edited July 2010
    cap is not a person with what you'd call a generous attention span, so I was worried he wouldn't be able to get into the wire, but he loved it

kQwcZLJ.png
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    Is this some kind of series for the gays?

Like Queer as Folk or something?

Is there lots of bare man on bare man "acting"?

well carcetti was in queer as folk

edited July 2010
    four and one are the best seasons

take that to the bank

edited July 2010
    carcetti is cast as littlefinger in game of thrones too

oooooooooooooh can't wait

kQwcZLJ.png
    edited July 2010
    carcetti could fuck me in the ass and then raise my taxes and I couldn't even get mad

• blackpyrblackpyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Season one is awesome. It doesn't, however, migrate towards the greater point of the show.

The wire ends up, at its core, being an excellent treatise on societal institutions and how they work in tandem, or in conflict (or how simply don't work at all). The show really does touch on how these institutions actually get shit done, how a city in decline actually handles the pressure... Season two notably addresses the economic core of failing american city. Everything else, the kids, the press, the pols....

"I caught him, bunk, on the wire I caught him.... and he doesn't fucking know it."

well it's all in the game.

donate the 70+ hours to watch all of this episodic gem
    my hand to god, you won't be disappointed

cheAndy.jpg
    edited July 2010
    One of the most memorable scenes in the entire series (minor spoilers).

1EAFQ.gif
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Game's the same, just got more fierce"

Thanks guys, now I have to start another re-watch.

camo_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    honestly it's hard for me to recognize sometimes that these are actors

the freshest example of this in my mind right now is the city editor of the baltimore sun in the fifth season, gus haynes

he is so good and so clean and so perfect, you would swear they were filming in the actual news room

in the truest sense, this show is amazing

kQwcZLJ.png
    edited July 2010
    seriously

i have no trouble believing omar little is in an apartment somewhere eating honey nut

edited July 2010
    The Wire is my favorite t.v. show of all time. Just thinking about it makes me want to re-watch it all.

Alan Sepinwall does an essay about each episode at http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching It's fascinating reading material.

I love season four if not just for the politics and the general awesomeness that is Tommy Carcetti.

You can tell that Sepinwall is really into the show. His interview with David Simon is fantastic.

1EAFQ.gif
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    honestly it's hard for me to recognize sometimes that these are actors

the freshest example of this in my mind right now is the city editor of the baltimore sun in the fifth season, gus haynes

he is so good and so clean and so perfect, you would swear they were filming in the actual news room

in the truest sense, this show is amazing

well, technically, the girl who played Snoop wasn't an actress. she pretty much played the person she would probably be today if she didn't turn her life around after being sentenced to prison at 14. she met Michael Williams (Omar Little, also Saul Williams' brother) in a bar in Baltimore and he asked her to come tryout for casting, so she did and got the part.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Pearson was born to two incarcerated drug addicts and raised in an East Baltimore foster home. Born premature and weighing only three pounds, she was not expected to live. She was so small she was fed with an eyedropper until she could be fed normally.
    Instead of attending school, Pearson worked as a drug dealer. At the age of 14, she was convicted of second-degree murder in the shooting death of a girl named Okia Toomer and sentenced to eight years at the Maryland Correctional Institution for Women in Jessup, Maryland.[1] Pearson said her life turned around at the age of 18 when Arnold Loney, a local drug dealer who looked out for her and sent her money in prison, was shot and killed. It was he who had given her the nickname "Snoop" because she reminded him of Charlie Brown's beagle Snoopy in the comic strip Peanuts. While in prison, she earned her GED and was released in 2000. She landed a local job fabricating car bumpers, she says, but was fired after only two weeks when her employer learned she had a prison record.

edited July 2010
    snoop is hilarious

creepy, but hilarious

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like the snoop character because
    Spoiler:

edit: spoilering it

edited July 2010
    how my hair look, mike :cry:

edited July 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    how my hair look, mike :cry:

dude I know she's psycho but I always lose it there

and yeah I knew that about snoop

what you think I'm new or something

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Spoiler:

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    snoop buying a nailgun

snoop buying a nailgun

• Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I mean, if I saw Michael Williams in real life, I'd probably run the other way yelling "Omar! Omar comin'!!"

• Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User
    edited July 2010
    cap is not a person with what you'd call a generous attention span, so I was worried he wouldn't be able to get into the wire, but he loved it

>:[

edited July 2010
    here's some trivia for you:

the fella who plays the deacon, melvin williams, had his life story written by david simon (wire creator) while he was still in prison in 1987

the character of avon barksdale is based on him, in part

BET did a piece on him too, check it out: http://www.bet.com/OnTV/BETShows/americangangster/americangangster_gangsterguide_melvinwilliams.htm

kQwcZLJ.png
    edited July 2010

>:[

well it's true

kQwcZLJ.png
    edited July 2010
    here's some trivia for you:

the fella who plays the deacon, melvin williams, had his life story written by david simon (wire creator) while he was still in prison in 1987

the character of avon barksdale is based on him, in part

BET did a piece on him too, check it out: http://www.bet.com/OnTV/BETShows/americangangster/americangangster_gangsterguide_melvinwilliams.htm

Also, Donnie (Omar's friend) is played by the man who actually inspired the character Omar. The scene in the apartment
    Spoiler:
    is based on a real event.

It's kind of weird to be geeking out over a show about drug dealers and other terrible things. But it's so good.

1EAFQ.gif
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this is the best show ever

the end

edited July 2010
    fave carcetti scene was in the opening of a season 5 episode:
    Spoiler:

for idris elba fans, check out Luther, this recent BBC miniseries. its kind of a cliche "rogue badass cop that plays by his own rules" police procedural, but he has a weird relationship with a female psychopath. pretty fun, if a bit shallow.

also, the more i hear about Luck, this upcoming hbo series from david milch, the more pumped i get. i mean, i'm already down for anything from the deadwood guy, but throw in dustin hoffman and nick nolte and have the pilot episode be directed by michael mann? cmon!

• SpacehogSpacehog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spoiler:

that's the point

yeah, that's true
    Spoiler:

I present to you, our current governor, and former mayor of Baltimore City, Martin O'Malley!

Spoiler:
  • YaYaYaYa Rick and Morty forever and ever 100 years! a100timesRickandMorty.comRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so I'm about mid-season 3
    Spoiler: