As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age 2 - [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hawke looks all right, but he ain't no Dutch supermodel.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    db20d36151637367855a1293d94b03da9bd.jpg

The expression on the face of that ogre.... Looks like the dead body on the ground was his best friend. He looks so SAD...
    :cry:

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh man now i can't unsee it

Hawke nooo

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wish I could unsee that entire screenshot.

I mean, damn. That is a bad fucking screenshot.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The more I look at it, the more I think the fog is there to hide the lack of detailed background or sky and not for atmospheric reasons.

Couscous on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I agree.

However, I'm confident that the game will look nothing like that screen when I play the final release.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Dialogue Tweaks - This mod "changes companion dialogues for consistency, bug fixing, and adds new minor options. All dialogue is voiced by original game voice actors; these are changes to scripting, text, and dialogue conditions to make use of or correct existing dialogue." The creator suggests using the following two mods in conjunction with Dialogue Tweaks:

Alistair Dialog Patch - This mod "fixes many endgame dialogue issues relating to Alistair and his status, as well as some other adjustments to Alistair's general dialogue and romance-related dialogue."

Endgame Dialogue Fixes - This mod makes "corrections to endgame dialogue issues relating to Alistair and his status, as well as optional endgame slideshow changes to expand on the original story."

It kinda looks to me like the second two mods might conflict. Anyone have any thoughts? Are these worth using?

You'd think some of this stuff might make it into an official patch.

I was worried about that, too, but Dialogue Tweaks seems to recommend both of them at once. Thus far I haven't had any complications, and the mod manager doesn't seem to show any conflicts, either.

Speaking of the mods, though, everyone should use Dragon Age Redesigned. Effin' fantastic. I'm really digging the No Helmet Hack mod I just installed so that I don't have to see hideous flaps on the heads of my rogues or mages. I'm basically using all the mods in the OP and highly recommend them, although I have no opinion on the weapon packs so far. Jojjo's has fantastic, high quality gear, but it has silly save slot requirements that make it difficult to use. I'm waiting for him to cave to use demand and just put them in a shop.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • spectraspectra Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not sure if these have already been posted, but here are a couple (new?) screenshots:

600x338.jpg

600x338.jpg

Bigger versions here:
    http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/dragon-age-2/news/dragon_age_2,45873,2316318.html

I'm just hoping whatever trailer they show next month is using the game engine art assets and not some cg teaser.

spectra on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I agree.

However, I'm confident that the game will look nothing like that screen when I play the final release.

For a moment, I was thinking this "New Art Style" was being shown in that screen, and that it was utter balls.

But yeah, I trust that the final game wont look terrible.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
    edited July 2010
    spectra wrote: »
    Not sure if these have already been posted, but here are a couple (new?) screenshots:

Bigger versions here:

I'm just hoping whatever trailer they show next month is using the game engine art assets and not some cg teaser.

I added 720p versions of those two screenshots to the OP, too.

Dashui on
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

are you kidding, Bioware CGI trailers are amazing and better than some movies! I can't wait for the DA2 trailers (I think its a company called Blur that actually does them though)

GaryO on
    edited July 2010
    GaryO wrote: »

are you kidding, Bioware CGI trailers are amazing and better than some movies! I can't wait for the DA2 trailers (I think its a company called Blur that actually does them though)

Blur does great work, but I'll still take trailers like BioWare's Mass Effect 2 launch trailer over Blur's CG stuff any day of the week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx9sPQpjgjU&hd=1

Dashui on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I agree, but I'm hoping for a non-CG as well, if only to completly confirm that the screenshots we have are from old builds and never should have seen the light of day.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • spectraspectra Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Blur does great work, but I'll still take trailers like BioWare's Mass Effect 2 launch trailer over Blur's CG stuff any day of the week.

Bioware CGI trailers are nice, and if the screenshots showed this game looking good I wouldn't mind a trailer like that, but after these screenshots I need something to show that DA2 will actually have decent graphics.

spectra on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Sacred Ash trailer 2

Nartwak on
    edited July 2010

600x338.jpg

600x338.jpg

Bigger versions here:

Aaaaaand my hopes for decent looking Mage robes are crushed....

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited July 2010

Bigger versions here:

Aaaaaand my hopes for decent looking Mage robes are crushed....

Which is why you'll want to buy the game on the PC, so you can use bikini cloth armor within twelve hours of release.

Dashui on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, which is why all the shots have been of darkspawn when we're supposed to be on the other side of the ocean is puzzling, at best. Especially since they picked up ridiculous new armor in the meantime

You're not really on the other side of the ocean, more like the other side of the English Channel. The Free Marches are right in the middle of the continent, close to where all the other Blights have happened.
    800px-ThedasMap.jpg

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What's wrong with those robes?

Also I'm not really concerned about the amount of Darkspawn in the teaser images. Darkspawn in teasers is a good, safe bet because it A) Shows off graphics and combat whilst B) Giving absolutely no indication of what's going on with the plot.

It tells us stuff while simultaneously telling us nothing. You could extrapolate things from more human opponents, less so with Darkspawn.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited July 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Well, the robes for female mages are ok. But they still just look like a man wearing a dress on the male mages. That image leads me to believe the robes wont change much.

Skull2185 on
    edited July 2010
    The only thing I don't like about the screenshots, and it has nothing to do with the textures or spiky designs, is that the Darkspawn don't look frightening and horrifying anymore.

Dashui on
    edited July 2010
    They look like unfinished, "placeholder" models.

I wouldn't worry about em too much.

Skull2185 on
    edited July 2010
    They look like unfinished, "placeholder" models.

I wouldn't worry about em too much.

And I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, too. It wouldn't be the first time developers have done that, shown off early footage containing placeholder content to just give people an idea how the game will look and/or play.

I'm not actually worried. BioWare's probably my favorite developer and thus far I haven't been let down by any of their games.

Dashui on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it's really the art style, not the graphics themselves that's really concerning. I mean, DAO looked pretty good

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    baldur's gate 1 was good
    baldur's gate 2 was better

*crosses fingers*

Jars on
    edited July 2010
    Mass Effect 1 was an RPG with shooting elements
    Mass Effect 2 was a shooter with RPG elements

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jade Empirie 1 was good
    Jade Empire 2 was.....

;_;

Dox the PI on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    why must you rain on my hopes for a game on the same level as BG2

Jars on
    edited July 2010
    Because all this talk of a more action oriented game are ruining my hopes of there being more complicated talkie bits in Orlais. And I'm unreasonably bitter over the overhyping of ME2. And something about removing inventory systems

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    vsove wrote: »
    I can tell you that DA2 looks significantly better now than it does in those screenshots. Or, as our lead writer says:
    I'm not really one to comment on the art. All I can really say is that the game already looks better than it does in those screenshots-- there's a lot of work being done on all content, and while I get what people are saying regarding the number of months left you have to consider that we're not dealing with a long development cycle here. Instead of thinking months, think "percentage until complete". It's still pretty early, as far as we're concerned. Hopefully you'll like what we show you in the months to come. From my perspective, I think what I'm playing looks quite striking.

He's right. I think DA2 looks fantastic, though obviously I am heavily biased.

Excellent. I'm not opposed to the art style, just those enemy models are hideous. The Hurlocks have bowling ball heads, and the Ogre looks so depressed.

-Loki- on
    edited July 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »
    I can tell you that DA2 looks significantly better now than it does in those screenshots. Or, as our lead writer says:
    I'm not really one to comment on the art. All I can really say is that the game already looks better than it does in those screenshots-- there's a lot of work being done on all content, and while I get what people are saying regarding the number of months left you have to consider that we're not dealing with a long development cycle here. Instead of thinking months, think "percentage until complete". It's still pretty early, as far as we're concerned. Hopefully you'll like what we show you in the months to come. From my perspective, I think what I'm playing looks quite striking.

He's right. I think DA2 looks fantastic, though obviously I am heavily biased.

Excellent. I'm not opposed to the art style, just those enemy models are hideous. The Hurlocks have bowling ball heads, and the Ogre looks so depressed.

Well that mean, cruel Grey Warden did kill their mommy. :(

Dashui on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    But they still just look like a man wearing a dress on the male mages.

orthodox_monks.jpg
    ?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One day in the future when the gamers of today become tomorrow's developers, I hope to play an RPG in which you stumble upon the remains of Boatmurdered.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited July 2010
    Dragon Age 2 should be based entirely on Wade from Wade's Emporium in Denerim.

Dashui on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Jade Empirie 1 was good
    Jade Empire 2 was.....

;_;

One day. One day.

Dragkonias on
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx9sPQpjgjU&hd=1

Damn you, I hate you so much. Now I have to buy this.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
    edited July 2010
    Korlash wrote: »

*snip*

You haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet? Wuzwrongwitchu'?

Dashui on
  • walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    while deep in the midst of a StarCraft 2 binge, I just want to say this is a really funny thread title

I laughed and laughed

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Korlash wrote: »

*snip*

You haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet? Wuzwrongwitchu'?
    Seriously this is considered an ailment in some medical circles

Kazaka on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't played either Mass Effect game.

I play too many vidja games. I haven't even beat DA:O.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg