As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This [Chat] Thread Dedicated to Cokebotle and YamiNoSenshi

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    I would never in a thousand years join a union

Why?

because they have outlived their usefulness?

not even if you got to firebomb some foreign civilians to sweeten the deal?

are those civilians liberals/hippies?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    gonna go see inception this friday with HP girl...

SO EXCITES!

Jokerman on
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just Like That on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In the states unions can be a mixed bag. They do wonderful things for lots of different jobs and sometimes are just a waste of money. Though a lot of union thought here is since Reagan this country has been fostering an anti-union sentiment even though many of those that believe this got a lot of what they take for granted from the work of unions during the 1930's through 1950's and so on.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

SO EXCITES!

Seeing the midnight show with Sabs tomorrow. Hopefully you get further with her than I do with Sabs.

Also, it's probably not too late for that Dementor joke.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like having a landline. When Ike hit, I had a phone that worked. It doesn't go dead and I never need to remember to charge it.

Thomamelas on
    edited July 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I like having a landline. When Ike hit, I had a phone that worked. It doesn't go dead and I never need to remember to charge it.

That's the reason I got one again. Having to constantly charge my phone off my car sucked pretty bad

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited July 2010

Why?

Because corporations will always look out for their workers? Man, you have smoked way to much of the bs crack I guess.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I'm actually already halfway through the form I was just curious if anyone was going to say "no"

EDIT: Arivia: It's 1.8 hours pay gone, actually

We don't know enough about Norse Employment law to give anything more than simple non specific answers.

See, if this was NZ I'd probably say no, as by law you are entitled to the same contract terms as union members and if it is a reasonably casual job you are unlikely to encounter serious enough employment problems so as to require assistance from such a body.

If this was the UK I'd still say no, unless you were planning to fall out with your employer. In which case, just wait till the time comes, then join.

Glorious Norway is an entirely different matter.

So, how serious is the job and how worried are you about being mistreated?

It's not a very serious job, which is exactly why mistreatment is a risk.

A friend of mine has a boss who constantly pulls illegal shit on her young and unknowledgeable employees

like, she fired one after she got back problems so severe she only almost made it to a doctor let alone work, and when she was going to come back she was just told she didn't need to come in tomorrow. She did that with all her shifts for a week then told her she was fired. That's like, three laws broken right there.

But when my friend, who knows about this stuff, calls in sick, it's perfectly ok.

Young people in these kinds of jobs are the ones most at risk for being fucked over at the workplace.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i really want to see inception

my lady's really lukewarm to the idea but that's just because the trailers haven't really grabbed her

she's willing to give it a chance because she's a fan of leo di caprio

Pony on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

SO EXCITES!

Is it a date?

Thomamelas on
    edited July 2010

Why?

Because corporations will always look out for their workers? Man, you have smoked way to much of the bs crack I guess.

this was un-necessary, duer

Pony on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pony wrote: »

my lady's really lukewarm to the idea but that's just because the trailers haven't really grabbed her

It'll be playing in IMAX at Scotiabank

goin' to the midnight showing

gonna be tiiiiight

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited July 2010

Why?

Maybe it is just because you watch shit take place day to day here in the states since there isn't as many protections for workers as there in the rest of the first world. Part of that was we had a balancing act with unions that has really disappeared in the last 30 years.

Unions in the United States historically were one way corporations were kept in check from being dickwads to employees. And saying they have outlived their usefulness is part of the bs you hear from the anti-union groups in the US.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited July 2010

Why?

we get our bs crack for free because unions already got us those rights back when they provided some actual utility

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If I was in a job where, from the point of view of my superiors, there is no meaningful difference between employees or the cost to replace an employee was very low I would look into joining a union. Otherwise, definetly not.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited July 2010

i cry big tears

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    damn an ounce for a 3 beam scale??

Casual Eddy on
    edited July 2010
    oh and the girl who got fired haven't got all her money yet

My friend is gonna call a meeting with everyone, bring up all grievances they have with the horrible job, then if it's not fixed, which it won't be as her boss is a right proper cunt, it'll be turned over to the union and the Labour Inspection Authority

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited July 2010

knowing nothing about pot or scales has hampered my ability to relate to this joke

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Right? Talk about a hook up

That has to be one of the best Louis CK stories ever, and I'm sad he didn't really use it much

knowing nothing about pot or scales has hampered my ability to relate to this joke

An ounce is generally worth $100 or more

Just Like That on
    edited July 2010

It'll be playing in IMAX at Scotiabank

goin' to the midnight showing

gonna be tiiiiight

hrrrrrrrrrm

Pony on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Singularity ending spoilers:
    So like, what? I'm taking over the world and Kathryn dies? Man, I feel sorry for her. Hope she doesn't die.

I desperately hope this becomes a proper IP sequel thingie.

Daxon on
    edited July 2010
    I guess in the US joining a union is pointless as you basically have no rights that can be violated

cast off the yoke of capitalism!

RISE UP AND THROW SOME MOTHERFUCKERS OUT SOME WINDOWS!

MAN THE BARRICADES IT'S TIME FOR REVOLUTION!

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm actually already halfway through the form I was just curious if anyone was going to say "no"

We don't know enough about Norse Employment law to give anything more than simple non specific answers.

See, if this was NZ I'd probably say no, as by law you are entitled to the same contract terms as union members and if it is a reasonably casual job you are unlikely to encounter serious enough employment problems so as to require assistance from such a body.

If this was the UK I'd still say no, unless you were planning to fall out with your employer. In which case, just wait till the time comes, then join.

A friend of mine has a boss who constantly pulls illegal shit on her young and unknowledgeable employees

like, she fired one after she got back problems so severe she only almost made it to a doctor let alone work, and when she was going to come back she was just told she didn't need to come in tomorrow. She did that with all her shifts for a week then told her she was fired. That's like, three laws broken right there.

But when my friend, who knows about this stuff, calls in sick, it's perfectly ok.

Young people in these kinds of jobs are the ones most at risk for being fucked over at the workplace.

Well young people are certainly pretty vulnerable to this kind of abuse. I certainly was taken advantage of when I was out working during high school, so on that basis, it probably isn't a bad idea. However these days it is not very hard to get good, very basic employment law advice (at least in English speaking countries that I have lived in) for free. So there is always that.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy shit, boring all morning and then BAM everything goes wrong at work.

But I managed it... LIKE A BAWSS

Silas Brown on
    edited July 2010
    Nah, you have rights that can be violated. You just don't have as much recourse if they are. If it is health or safety it goes to OSHA. If it deals with disability it falls under the American's with Disabilities Act and so on. But if it is just wanting a raise or benefits. Or numerous other things that collective bargaining can bring since it can produce a semi-equal footing with employers that is where unions become extremely important.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    that overrated thread is awful

it's all like "Twilight is awful"

and then people are like "it's good if it makes children read"

people don't seem to get that the argument against it isn't that it's poorly written

Tav on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    my friend is texting me about how she's watching locked up abroad and it's freaking her out

ahaha

Casual Eddy on
    edited July 2010

Well young people are certainly pretty vulnerable to this kind of abuse. I certainly was taken advantage of when I was out working during high school, so on that basis, it probably isn't a bad idea. However these days it is not very hard to get good, very basic employment law advice (at least in English speaking countries that I have lived in) for free. So there is always that.

application already sent because it's 1.8 hours worth of pay, and they don't just give advice they basically do everything for you should you need anything.

Also I might be entitled to higher pay.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goddamnit, I did ANOTHER phallic doodle, complete with lazers coming out the end!

Silas Brown on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "it's good if it makes children read" is always something that bugged me

I like reading as much as the next guy but man watching a good film or whatever is going to be way better than reading a shitty book

Elendil on
    edited July 2010
    Nah, you have rights that can be violated. You just don't have as much recourse if they are. If it is health or safety it goes to OSHA. If it deals with disability it falls under the American's with Disabilities Act and so on. But if it is just wanting a raise or benefits. Or numerous other things that collective bargaining can bring since it can produce a semi-equal footing with employers that is where unions become extremely important.

or if your employer tries to screw you over, that doesn't fall under safety, disability or benefits

and I'm not entirely convinced everything's on the level here so I'm being prepared

EDIT: I think my pay is already at what the unions have set, so...

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

I like reading as much as the next guy but man watching a good film or whatever is going to be way better than reading a shitty book

well in fairness kids who like shitty books are probably going to like shitty films

Tav on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

See, for it to actually be a good thing you have to use it to trick them into reading books that aren't pieces of excrement. The people who say that aren't usually the people being active in this regard.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited July 2010

or if your employer tries to screw you over, that doesn't fall under safety, disability or benefits

and I'm not entirely convinced everything's on the level here so I'm being prepared

Yup good plan there actually. Better safe than sorry.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited July 2010

yeah i've always considered this a bullshit argument

"well, okay yeah it's totally retarded, and teaches awful viewpoints on life and relationships, but at least it's getting kids to read!"

it's also fucking them up in the head

that is not worth the price of encouraging literacy

Pony on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dan Brown also makes people (not only children - far far too many adults don't read as well) read, but Dan Brown isn't full of creepy messages about abstinence and beastiality/necrophilia.

Daxon on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd farm mushrooms and black beans way before any kind of bugs

what is it with you and these mushrooms anyway

Easy nutrition and great for the environment.
    Arch wrote: »
    I'd farm mushrooms and black beans way before any kind of bugs

the whole animal thing or just because eating bugs is icky?

Because farming bugs would be a pain in the ass and icky. I guess I could feed them the leftover mushrooms though.

TL DR on
This discussion has been closed.