Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

So. Mel Gibson didn't have a thread yet. Fixed.

145791016

Posts

  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He's method acting for his next part as a Garden Gnome pushed too far.

    "Adios, mofo" -- TX Gov Rick Perry (R)
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The sheer amount of n-word in this thread demands this. NSFW language, obviously.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqwj--wGEgY

    Saying that really isn't any better than saying the other.

  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    He's method acting for his next part as a Garden Gnome pushed too far.

    Amelie 2: The Gnome Is Sick Of This Bullshit

    edit:
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Saying that really isn't any better than saying the other.

    It is on this board.

  • deowolfdeowolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    EDIT: I guess nsfw maybe:
    Spoiler:

    Oh, please tell me there are a hundred more of these.

    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    deowolf wrote: »
    EDIT: I guess nsfw maybe:
    Spoiler:

    Oh, please tell me there are a hundred more of these.

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/the-13-worst-mel-gibson-rant-quotes-presented-by/

    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

    Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Fighting the War on String Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    People love saying they don't care about what an actor does in his personal life but it took far, far less crazy to turn tom cruise, for instance, into box office poison.

    75trafim7bi2.png
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    Which will mark the end of that word having it's negative power. What word will be up next?
    Cracka

  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I dunno about that Eddy. Scientology is far more crazy than Mel Gibson.

  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I dunno about that Eddy. Scientology is far more crazy than Mel Gibson.
    That's only because you don't need to beat your girlfriend if you can just brainwash her to do your will.

  • AtomikaAtomika genius of the restoration Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whoopi Goldberg has come out defending him. She also defended Polankski.


    I'm beginning to wonder where the lines are with her, since apparently spousal abuse and child-rape are contextually forgivable.

  • deowolfdeowolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jedijz wrote: »
    deowolf wrote: »
    EDIT: I guess nsfw maybe:
    Spoiler:

    Oh, please tell me there are a hundred more of these.

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/the-13-worst-mel-gibson-rant-quotes-presented-by/

    Thank you.

    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    You have to remember that when many people were pissed at Danson for showing up at Whoopi's birthday in black face, Whoopi thought it was hilarious.

    She also didn't defend his spousal abuse. She defended him as a racist. She said what he's done is "boneheaded" but that the Mel she knows isn't racist.

    I'm sure it's been posted, but watch the clip again and listen to what she says. Don't hear what you want to hear.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6KCYwcEzbE

    Joy Behar's line about "In Wine the truth will come out" that she relies on is a bunch of bullshit.

  • AtomikaAtomika genius of the restoration Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm beginning to wonder where the lines are with her, since apparently racism and child-rape are contextually forgivable.

    fixt

  • BroktuneBroktune Registered User
    edited July 2010
    I'm glad exes weren't recording me during some heated calls. I know I've said the same types of things he has, minus the raping by a pack of n words. But I'm not Mel Gibson, just some guy. So is Mel Gibson really not just some regular guy? We've all gotten mad at some point in our lives and spewed some vile shit. I just find it uncomfortable sometimes that we now live in an era where anything someone says or does can be heard or seen by everyone. Now if Mel did in fact hit this woman, he should be charged and deal with the consequences. Until then, I don't think his verbal rants are anything too shocking. War Apocalypto.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Broktune wrote: »
    I'm glad exes weren't recording me during some heated calls. I know I've said the same types of things he has, minus the raping by a pack of n words. But I'm not Mel Gibson, just some guy. So is Mel Gibson really not just some regular guy? We've all gotten mad at some point in our lives and spewed some vile shit. I just find it uncomfortable sometimes that we now live in an era where anything someone says or does can be heard or seen by everyone. Now if Mel did in fact hit this woman, he should be charged and deal with the consequences. Until then, I don't think his verbal rants are anything too shocking. War Apocalypto.

    Nobody really knows the conversations you've personally had where you spewed vile shit, because you're not a celebrity (I assume).

    Celebrities are public by nature of being a celebrity. I don't agree with the school of thought that because a celebrity is a celebrity they give up all their rights to privacy; some (read: most) paparazzi are just awful, terrible, excessively invasive creatures. But when a celebrity does something obnoxious like this, I'm not going to cry for their lack of privacy either.

    I don't think this means that everyone everywhere is going to be recorded all the time.

    And really, what makes you uncomfortable about a woman recording conversations where she's being verbally abused to the degree Mel has verbally abused her? I applaud her, both for recording the conversations and for publicizing them. Also for keeping so calm while he was being as poisonous and vile as he was. If anyone spoke to me the way Mel spoke to her, well it wouldn't go the way their "conversations" went.

    steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whoopi Goldberg doesn't get to absolve Mel's racism just because she's black, or because Mel's been over her house. What an asshole she is in that clip. At least she didn't pull out the "well I'm right because I'm black" card.

    steam_sig.png
  • Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I'm going to tell my girlfriend to blow me or I'll burn the house down.

    AKA, fourth tape released:
    Burn

    Obviously NSFW due to intense Mel.

  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Broktune wrote: »
    I'm glad exes weren't recording me during some heated calls. I know I've said the same types of things he has, minus the raping by a pack of n words. But I'm not Mel Gibson, just some guy. So is Mel Gibson really not just some regular guy? We've all gotten mad at some point in our lives and spewed some vile shit. I just find it uncomfortable sometimes that we now live in an era where anything someone says or does can be heard or seen by everyone. Now if Mel did in fact hit this woman, he should be charged and deal with the consequences. Until then, I don't think his verbal rants are anything too shocking. War Apocalypto.
    I'm going to be judgmental and say that if you talked to your exes in a similar way that Mel Gibson spoke on that recording, you're well and truly a silly goose.

    Why the hell would you ever speak to someone like that? It's verbal/emotional abuse. It's seriously not cool.

  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Whoopi Goldberg doesn't get to absolve Mel's racism just because she's black, or because Mel's been over her house. What an asshole she is in that clip. At least she didn't pull out the "well I'm right because I'm black" card.

    I think she's trying to argue that she knows him better than people who have just seen his movies and heard the clips, which is true. Doesn't mean those people are going to be convinced on her say-so, though. I mean, they're saying he's a racist because he has clearly said racist things (racists are self-defined like that); she's saying he's not a racist because he's acted in a non-racist way while she's known him. So pretty much all that's been proven is that he says racist things on occasion.

    Which, if sincere, pretty much defines him as a racist in my book. You don't have to be spouting racist drivel 24/7 to be a racist.


    (racist)

  • So It GoesSo It Goes Well, that seems pretty ludicrous.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Broktune wrote: »
    I'm glad exes weren't recording me during some heated calls. I know I've said the same types of things he has, minus the raping by a pack of n words. But I'm not Mel Gibson, just some guy. So is Mel Gibson really not just some regular guy? We've all gotten mad at some point in our lives and spewed some vile shit. I just find it uncomfortable sometimes that we now live in an era where anything someone says or does can be heard or seen by everyone. Now if Mel did in fact hit this woman, he should be charged and deal with the consequences. Until then, I don't think his verbal rants are anything too shocking. War Apocalypto.

    We've all gotten mad and threatened to do bodily harm to others, specifically an intimate partner? We've all gotten mad and engaged in blaming other people for the hurt we are threatening to cause them?

    Verbal abuse isn't abuse and apparently everyone does it yay

    NOPE.
    Vd0n7Bk.jpg
  • dead soulsdead souls Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Whoopi Goldberg doesn't get to absolve Mel's racism just because she's black, or because Mel's been over her house. What an asshole she is in that clip. At least she didn't pull out the "well I'm right because I'm black" card.

    She doesn't seem to understand that someone can be nice to a famous person of color and still be a raging bigot.

    Her blindness to the massive privilege her fame gives her is staggering.

  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Fighting the War on String Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't I've ever threatened to murder my partner

    75trafim7bi2.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Whoopi Goldberg doesn't get to absolve Mel's racism just because she's black, or because Mel's been over her house. What an asshole she is in that clip. At least she didn't pull out the "well I'm right because I'm black" card.

    I think she's trying to argue that she knows him better than people who have just seen his movies and heard the clips, which is true. Doesn't mean those people are going to be convinced on her say-so, though. I mean, they're saying he's a racist because he has clearly said racist things (racists are self-defined like that); she's saying he's not a racist because he's acted in a non-racist way while she's known him. So pretty much all that's been proven is that he says racist things on occasion.

    Which, if sincere, pretty much defines him as a racist in my book. You don't have to be spouting racist drivel 24/7 to be a racist.


    (racist)

    I'm not sure sincerity even matters. I tend to feel that casual racism - like using the n-word as if it's nothing - is even worse, in a way, than pointed bigotry. It's pretty easy to dismiss people that are openly, obviously bigoted. It's people who just slip the word out there that carry and propagate the disease far longer.

    Don't get me wrong, the obvious racists are terrible people. The crazies out there that actually, truly hate or fear those of a different color, rare, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or whatever else, are jackasses. But there's this undercurrent of racism that tends to go unmolested in society. I don't think it's acceptable to use the n-word. It doesn't matter if he's racist in his heart of hearts or not. It doesn't matter if he was drunk or sober. It doesn't matter if he was just in some kind of insane rage or not. Dropping the n-word in any context is terrible and we might as well consider those people racists, because they are the primary reason these slurs stay alive.

    steam_sig.png
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    And really, what makes you uncomfortable about a woman recording conversations where she's being verbally abused to the degree Mel has verbally abused her? I applaud her, both for recording the conversations and for publicizing them. Also for keeping so calm while he was being as poisonous and vile as he was. If anyone spoke to me the way Mel spoke to her, well it wouldn't go the way their "conversations" went.

    Well first off, she claims that she didn't publicize the tapes, and actually says that she thinks it is "terrible" that they have been leaked. I guess they have restraining orders against each other and publicizing them would be a violation. The police apparently don't have the tapes either, so they didn't do it. So... what, she's passing these recordings around to friends, hoping they won't release them? Right.

    I'm just saying that I doubt this woman is the angel that she seems to be on the recordings. You think that all of their arguments went like that, with her speaking calmly while Mel sounds like he's foaming at the mouth? I think these tapes were deliberately taken out of context and recorded in a way that is most favorable to her, considering she has an upcoming domestic violence case against him. What Gibson said is terrible in any context, but do you really think she never consciously chose to sound restrained knowing that what she was saying would be used in court? Please. The only time she ever raises her voice to him is when she brings up the alleged violence that she is trying to prosecute him for; is that the only thing that really upsets her, or did she do that so she could later say "See? I was very upset by that incident." And I'm sure she was (who wouldn't be?), and if it's true he deserves to go to jail, but it comes across as manipulative.

    I said something similar early in the thread when someone commented about her 'surprising calmness', and someone else replied with "You don't want to provoke someone who is already beating the shit out of you." Well, why would you keep hanging around someone who is beating the shit out of you in the first place? The woman's not insane, she obviously knows that violence crosses the line, ergo the split and domestic violence charges. Why didn't she report the incident immediately and then get away from him the first chance she got? Because she wanted to do her own reconnaissance so she could selectively record conversations. Even if she is 100% right, that's still not a very fair way to go about it.

    And before someone accuses me of it, no I am not defending Mel Gibson. I've already said that I think he's a shitbag and probably deserves all of this. So please accuse me of something else, like hating women for example.

  • So It GoesSo It Goes Well, that seems pretty ludicrous.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

    I said something similar early in the thread when someone commented about her 'surprising calmness', and someone else replied with "You don't want to provoke someone who is already beating the shit out of you." Well, why would you keep hanging around someone who is beating the shit out of you in the first place? The woman's not insane, she obviously knows that violence crosses the line, ergo the split and domestic violence charges. Why didn't she report the incident immediately and then get away from him the first chance she got? Because she wanted to do her own reconnaissance so she could selectively record conversations. Even if she is 100% right, that's still not a very fair way to go about it.

    There are many many barriers to leaving an abusive relationship. It is not that easy to "just leave."

    You are holding her to a standard that is not reasonable when you say recording him isn't "fair." Being verbally abusive and physically abusive to your intimate partner isn't "fair." Putting them in a situation where they have safety/economic/concerns about children when they think about leaving isn't "fair." None of this is fair in the first place. We don't know what he has said or done to her in the past. We don't know what she knows about whether or not raising her voice will make him react more violently or not.

    Your first mistake is to assume you know more about the motivations of this woman and the level of risk she felt in the relationship than she did, and then assuming she could just leave.

    NOPE.
    Vd0n7Bk.jpg
  • HozHoz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Your ideas are stupidly irrelevant. Theorizing how someone you don't even know would act if the circumstances changed is unpersuasive, especially with the little support you give it. You should really start wondering why you take this line of reasoning so seriously.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    And really, what makes you uncomfortable about a woman recording conversations where she's being verbally abused to the degree Mel has verbally abused her? I applaud her, both for recording the conversations and for publicizing them. Also for keeping so calm while he was being as poisonous and vile as he was. If anyone spoke to me the way Mel spoke to her, well it wouldn't go the way their "conversations" went.

    Well first off, she claims that she didn't publicize the tapes, and actually says that she thinks it is "terrible" that they have been leaked. I guess they have restraining orders against each other and publicizing them would be a violation. The police apparently don't have the tapes either, so they didn't do it. So... what, she's passing these recordings around to friends, hoping they won't release them? Right.

    I'm just saying that I doubt this woman is the angel that she seems to be on the recordings. You think that all of their arguments went like that, with her speaking calmly while Mel sounds like he's foaming at the mouth? I think these tapes were deliberately taken out of context and recorded in a way that is most favorable to her, considering she has an upcoming domestic violence case against him. What Gibson said is terrible in any context, but do you really think she never consciously chose to sound restrained knowing that what she was saying would be used in court? Please. The only time she ever raises her voice to him is when she brings up the alleged violence that she is trying to prosecute him for; is that the only thing that really upsets her, or did she do that so she could later say "See? I was very upset by that incident." And I'm sure she was (who wouldn't be?), and if it's true he deserves to go to jail, but it comes across as manipulative.

    Out of context? There is no context that would ever justify "I hope you get gang raped by a bunch of black people" or "I deserve to be blown before jacuzzi" or all the other crazy shit he said.

    Come on. Even if she was being just as racist and violent as he was there would be no excuse for what he's said. The only difference would be that she'd be as big an asshole as him. There is no context that would make anything Mel has said or done here even remotely acceptable.
    I said something similar early in the thread when someone commented about her 'surprising calmness', and someone else replied with "You don't want to provoke someone who is already beating the shit out of you." Well, why would you keep hanging around someone who is beating the shit out of you in the first place? The woman's not insane, she obviously knows that violence crosses the line, ergo the split and domestic violence charges. Why didn't she report the incident immediately and then get away from him the first chance she got? Because she wanted to do her own reconnaissance so she could selectively record conversations. Even if she is 100% right, that's still not a very fair way to go about it.

    And before someone accuses me of it, no I am not defending Mel Gibson. I've already said that I think he's a shitbag and probably deserves all of this. So please accuse me of something else, like hating women for example.

    How about I just accuse you of not really comprehending how abuse begins and how it continues and of glossing over the complexity of getting out of an abusive relationship?

    steam_sig.png
  • HozHoz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't get the idea out of my head that someone thinks it's unfair to secretly record a person who is threatening to murder them.

    Dude, what? Mel Gibson is fucking crazy. What are you? Because what you're posting here is rock hard stupid.

  • So It GoesSo It Goes Well, that seems pretty ludicrous.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    I can't get the idea out of my head that someone thinks it's unfair to secretly record a person who is threatening to murder them.

    Dude, what? Mel Gibson is fucking crazy. What are you? Because what you're posting here is rock hard stupid.

    Sometimes recorded statements are the only way to show people what goes on inside the home, too. Most abusers are very charismatic and well liked in the community outside the home and generally people don't want to believe they might say such horrible things.

    NOPE.
    Vd0n7Bk.jpg
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't I've ever threatened to murder my partner

    you aren't doing it right then, apparently...

    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User
    edited July 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    I can't get the idea out of my head that someone thinks it's unfair to secretly record a person who is threatening to murder them.

    Dude, what? Mel Gibson is fucking crazy. What are you? Because what you're posting here is rock hard stupid.

    I never said it was wrong to record someone. I just said that the recordings were not fair to Gibson, which is true. And that's not a problem when you're using them as evidence in court, because a death threat is a death threat regardless of context. But when you release them to the public, especially when you aren't supposed to and have done your best to make sure it happens regardless, and you do so before the trial has taken place, it's not very cool.

    Really, the claims I am making are not that controversial. The main point I'm trying to get across is that I don't think these recordings are typical of their arguments. Also Drez, I explicitly stated that I am not defending Gibson and that the context does not change what he said.

    However:
    So It Goes wrote: »

    I said something similar early in the thread when someone commented about her 'surprising calmness', and someone else replied with "You don't want to provoke someone who is already beating the shit out of you." Well, why would you keep hanging around someone who is beating the shit out of you in the first place? The woman's not insane, she obviously knows that violence crosses the line, ergo the split and domestic violence charges. Why didn't she report the incident immediately and then get away from him the first chance she got? Because she wanted to do her own reconnaissance so she could selectively record conversations. Even if she is 100% right, that's still not a very fair way to go about it.

    There are many many barriers to leaving an abusive relationship. It is not that easy to "just leave."

    You are holding her to a standard that is not reasonable when you say recording him isn't "fair." Being verbally abusive and physically abusive to your intimate partner isn't "fair." Putting them in a situation where they have safety/economic/concerns about children when they think about leaving isn't "fair." None of this is fair in the first place. We don't know what he has said or done to her in the past. We don't know what she knows about whether or not raising her voice will make him react more violently or not.

    Your first mistake is to assume you know more about the motivations of this woman and the level of risk she felt in the relationship than she did, and then assuming she could just leave.

    You know what? I don't know what it is like to be in an abusive relationship, and so I will rescind that argument. It's true; I am willing to admit to being wrong on the internet! I still think my other claims are valid though.

  • So It GoesSo It Goes Well, that seems pretty ludicrous.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    I can't get the idea out of my head that someone thinks it's unfair to secretly record a person who is threatening to murder them.

    Dude, what? Mel Gibson is fucking crazy. What are you? Because what you're posting here is rock hard stupid.

    I never said it was wrong to record someone. I just said that the recordings were not fair to Gibson, which is true. And that's not a problem when you're using them as evidence in court, because a death threat is a death threat regardless of context. But when you release them to the public, especially when you aren't supposed to and have done your best to make sure it happens regardless, and you do so before the trial has taken place, it's not very cool.

    Really, the claims I am making are not that controversial. The main point I'm trying to get across is that I don't think these recordings are typical of their arguments. Also Drez, I explicitly stated that I am not defending Gibson and that the context does not change what he said.

    However:
    So It Goes wrote: »

    I said something similar early in the thread when someone commented about her 'surprising calmness', and someone else replied with "You don't want to provoke someone who is already beating the shit out of you." Well, why would you keep hanging around someone who is beating the shit out of you in the first place? The woman's not insane, she obviously knows that violence crosses the line, ergo the split and domestic violence charges. Why didn't she report the incident immediately and then get away from him the first chance she got? Because she wanted to do her own reconnaissance so she could selectively record conversations. Even if she is 100% right, that's still not a very fair way to go about it.

    There are many many barriers to leaving an abusive relationship. It is not that easy to "just leave."

    You are holding her to a standard that is not reasonable when you say recording him isn't "fair." Being verbally abusive and physically abusive to your intimate partner isn't "fair." Putting them in a situation where they have safety/economic/concerns about children when they think about leaving isn't "fair." None of this is fair in the first place. We don't know what he has said or done to her in the past. We don't know what she knows about whether or not raising her voice will make him react more violently or not.

    Your first mistake is to assume you know more about the motivations of this woman and the level of risk she felt in the relationship than she did, and then assuming she could just leave.

    You know what? I don't know what it is like to be in an abusive relationship, and so I will rescind that argument. It's true; I am willing to admit to being wrong on the internet! I still think my other claims are valid though.

    So you agree that you have no idea what is "typical" of their arguments, right?

    What are you looking at to show that she deliberately released these recordings to the public?

    NOPE.
    Vd0n7Bk.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    I can't get the idea out of my head that someone thinks it's unfair to secretly record a person who is threatening to murder them.

    Dude, what? Mel Gibson is fucking crazy. What are you? Because what you're posting here is rock hard stupid.

    I never said it was wrong to record someone. I just said that the recordings were not fair to Gibson, which is true. And that's not a problem when you're using them as evidence in court, because a death threat is a death threat regardless of context. But when you release them to the public, especially when you aren't supposed to and have done your best to make sure it happens regardless, and you do so before the trial has taken place, it's not very cool.

    Really, the claims I am making are not that controversial. The main point I'm trying to get across is that I don't think these recordings are typical of their arguments. Also Drez, I explicitly stated that I am not defending Gibson and that the context does not change what he said.

    I know what you explicitly stated. I am not suggesting that you are defending Gibson. I just don't understand how you think these tapes are unfair to Gibson, or what evidence you have to suggest that these specific conversations are atypical, or why that last point even matters if it were true.

    Let's say - hypothetically - Mel and Oksana have had 400 arguments in total. And only these 4 arguments devolved into the crazy, racist, violent rants we've now all been exposed to. That's 1% of all arguments. I'd still consider the impression these tapes leave on the public "fair." Even if you're only being a crazy, racist, violence-threatening asshole 1% of the time, it's unacceptable.

    I don't think I've heard anyone say "oh dear Mel is like this all the time, fuck him." I really don't think anyone gives a shit if Mel is "okay" 99% of the time. The fact that he has it in at all to yell at someone in this manner - especially someone he was in a relationship with at the time - is enough.

    It's not unfair at all.

    steam_sig.png
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User
    edited July 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    So you agree that you have no idea what is "typical" of their arguments, right?

    What are you looking at to show that she deliberately released these recordings to the public?

    No, I don't know what is typical of their arguments- no one does but them. But I know what a typical argument sounds like, and that's not it. Maybe it's true and she was calm and nice all the time and Mel just flies off the handle with no corresponding escalation on her part, but as I explained before, I doubt it.

    As for the recordings, she is obviously the original source for them, and she knew last month that she was not allowed to release them publicly. So she is either very naive and gave them (or copies of them) to her friends expecting them not to leak it, or she is not so naive and expected them to leak it. There is also the possibility that she leaked them herself, although I'd be surprised if she were as bold as that (if only because it makes it easier to trace back to her).

    This is only sort of related, and is possibly bullshit since it is coming from Mel, but his defensive team is apparently claiming that she also attempted extortion using the tapes.

    Edit: I guess I just don't really like either of these people after what I've read and heard from both. Obviously Gibson is much, much worse (I knew he was an asshole but holy shit), the whole thing just kind of stinks to me though.

  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think this makes it official.

    You can't trust people without eyebrows.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • BarksBarks __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2010
    I think this Okstanka woman pulled Gibson into a trap with the phone calls. The way she responded to everything he said sounded almost rehearsed, like she was playing the part of someone else and not who she really is. Mel has anger problems, obviously, but we have no idea what happened the rest of the 3 years or however long they were together. My Dad used to talk to my Mom like Mel was in those calls, though Mel honestly was probably a worse just because he kept going and going. I'm not saying Mel is in the right at all, he obviously has issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if this girl was actively trying to get money out of him at every chance she got. Point is, though, we all get mad, some more mad then others, but it's private for a reason. If everyone knew everything, nobody would like anyone.

    This is all only based off the calls though. I haven't really been following the "story" or whatever. Has he beaten her?

    madmensignaturePA.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Barks wrote: »
    I think this Okstanka woman pulled Gibson into a trap with the phone calls. The way she responded to everything he said sounded almost rehearsed, like she was playing the part of someone else and not who she really is. Mel has anger problems, obviously, but we have no idea what happened the rest of the 3 years or however long they were together. My Dad used to talk to my Mom like Mel was in those calls, though Mel honestly was probably a worse just because he kept going and going. I'm not saying Mel is in the right at all, he obviously has issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if this girl was actively trying to get money out of him at every chance she got.

    This is all only based off the calls though. I haven't really been following the "story" or whatever. Has he beaten her?

    I don't understand this perspective at all.

    Even if I were to believe that she somehow provoked Mel into excessive verbal violence and bigotry, Mel still has a personal obligation not to let it happen. I don't really care what she did, there is no "trap" for that, and Mel is fully to blame for what he said on those tapes.

    steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To respond to your ninja edit:
    Point is, though, we all get mad, some more mad then others, but it's private for a reason. If everyone knew everything, nobody would like anyone.

    Not that I believe in a Big Brother approach to society, but I'm not going to shed any tears for abusers having their verbal abuse aired for the rest of the world. Sure, nobody is perfect, but I think it's pretty cynical to suggest that nobody would like anyone else if everything was above the table.

    Nobody is entitled to infinite privacy. Your privacy ends when you stop being private. If Mel wanted to be a racist violent asshole in the privacy of his own mind, then he has every right to be. People are free to think whatever thoughts they want to think. The moment he opened his mouth and exploded on her, though, his privacy is pretty much over. He's sharing his thoughts and I feel she is morally justified in sharing his abuse with whoever she wants.

    steam_sig.png
  • BarksBarks __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2010
    I know what you're saying, I just think it would be more interesting if we had all this in perspective. If we had truthful context to his outburst. It wouldn't make the outburst any more acceptable, but it would put more of a human touch to it, as sad and troubled as the humanity obviously is. Gibson clearly has problems and I'd rather look at him as a person who has gotten to this point as a result of whatever series of events rather than just an evil fuck who said this fucked up shit and we should stop seeing his movies end of story.

    madmensignaturePA.jpg
145791016
Sign In or Register to comment.