As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age 2 - [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    I haven't played either Mass Effect game.

I play too many vidja games. I haven't even beat DA:O.

To be fair, Dragon Age is about 3000 hours long. it takes a while to finish it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, in my opinion ME2's dialogue trashed DA's. Because it was pretty easy to quickly pick your dialogue options in ME2 (what with them being 3 words long max or some such) the dialogue flowed like an actual conversation. Opposed to DA where I'd have essentially a paragraph of shit to read before picking the one I wanted to use.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arkady wrote: »
    Man, in my opinion ME2's dialogue trashed DA's. Because it was pretty easy to quickly pick your dialogue options in ME2 (what with them being 3 words long max or some such) the dialogue flowed like an actual conversation. Opposed to DA where I'd have essentially a paragraph of shit to read before picking the one I wanted to use.

The main problem with the dialog in the ME games is occasionally getting dialog that doesn't match the abbreviated text you select at all. It's a problem with writing though, not the system.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

The main problem with the dialog in the ME games is occasionally getting dialog that doesn't match the abbreviated text you select at all. It's a problem with writing though, not the system.

At least AP realized that, and made it explicitly clear that what the selection said wasn't actually important, and just had you choose directly from 3 archetypes + facedesk

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

At least AP realized that, and made it explicitly clear that what the selection said wasn't actually important, and just had you choose directly from 3 archetypes + facedesk

Ah, facedesk.

Always the appropriate choice every single time.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    What's wrong with those robes?

Well, the robes for female mages are ok. But they still just look like a man wearing a dress on the male mages. That image leads me to believe the robes wont change much.
    Yeah, as I've said in the other DA threads I wish that the "big, blue dress" trope for male Wizards would die out. Hell, not even Gandalf wore a dress all the time..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I remember having more problems in DA, often selecting a response that I assumed was joking or sarcastic, only to have the NPC respond as though I'd spat in their face. ME2 had surprises too, but the ones I remember were mostly pleasant, like "Go to hell" becoming "I'll relinquish a single bullet. Where do you want it?"

Auberon on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just put your mage in leather armor. Sure the stats suck but whatever.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Just give me a fucking cloak or coat such as mages had in Arcanum and I'll be happy.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Auberon wrote: »

I remember having more problems in DA, often selecting a response that I assumed was joking or sarcastic, only to have the NPC respond as though I'd spat in their face. ME2 had surprises too, but the ones I remember were mostly pleasant, like "Go to hell" becoming "I'll relinquish a single bullet. Where do you want it?"

This was particularly annoying with Alister, who is always making jokes. You try to make a joke, he flips out.

I feel like the best of both worlds is some combination of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Alpha Protocol.

So for most dialog, it'd be a ME-style short responses- only the *intent* of the message is summarized in one word a la Alpha Protocol.

Be like, Do you need help? [kind] Figure it out for yourself [Callous], etc.

But for particularly important "what can change the nature of a man" conversations, you have DA/BG2/PST style actual line-for-line text dialog to choose from.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This was particularly annoying with Alister, who is always making jokes. You try to make a joke, he flips out.

I feel like the best of both worlds is some combination of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Alpha Protocol.

So for most dialog, it'd be a ME-style short responses- only the *intent* of the message is summarized in one word a la Alpha Protocol.

But for particularly important "what can change the nature of a man" conversations, you have DA/BG2/PST style actual line-for-line text dialog to choose from.

My fantasy dialog system would actually use 2 "sections." The first section would be what you say, whether its a short couple of words like ME or full sentences like DA. The second section would be your emotion behind what you say, so that would would have things like Sarcastic, Joking, Angry, Annoyed, etc. Sure it would be stupidly complicated, but then you would always be able to set exactly how you wanted to sound and what you say.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    AspectVoid wrote: »

My fantasy dialog system would actually use 2 "sections." The first section would be what you say, whether its a short couple of words like ME or full sentences like DA. The second section would be your emotion behind what you say, so that would would have things like Sarcastic, Joking, Angry, Annoyed, etc. Sure it would be stupidly complicated, but then you would always be able to set exactly how you wanted to sound and what you say.

This would be awesome, but logistics get in the way. With at least two inflections for every line, every conversation becomes a labyrinthine mess of possible responses. I don't know how they could correctly give you full-voice companions like that.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I actually like the "paragraph of shit" aspect, and find choosing a response that best matches what I want to say (or just the funniest option) to be a lot more fun than good/neutral/evil sans flavor. Hell, mostly it was never even a choice because I was trying so hard to accumulate paragon points that I just clicked "good" every time. (At least ME2, when the actual dialog didn't match what you expected, sometimes erred on the side of awesome. ME1 was just boring most of the time.)

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know why people hate on the ME dialog. It was amazing and the first of it's kind. Being able to pick your options based on good, bad and neutral without knowing exactly what would be said was great. It also kept the dialog going and the feeling like you were actually talking. You could actually choose your response before the otehr person finished so it went straight along.

DA was a shock and backwards step in the dialog department. It reminds me of how the PC in Fable never had a voice and your character just looked like a dummy whenever the camera was on them. At least in KoTOR your PC would make hilarious smirking faces.

In reality it's really no differant than seeing the full block of text and choosing it. It's still a set of 3-5 choices that are predetermined that you really have no say over.

And If your character says exactly what you choose than what's the point of the voiceover and acting? understand that the character isn't you it's Shepard and your watching/playing his story. You can decide to be nice or a dick but ultimatly it's a story about him.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Like what I read in GameInformer yesterday.

DA2's gonna be the tits.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wish my gameinformer didn't take forever to get to my house.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't know why people hate on the ME dialog. It was amazing and the first of it's kind. Being able to pick your options based on good, bad and neutral without knowing exactly what would be said was great. It also kept the dialog going and the feeling like you were actually talking. You could actually choose your response before the otehr person finished so it went straight along.
    I found ME1's dialog incredibly boring. Usually in an "old-fashioned" RPG you have one or two "funny" responses which honestly I think are one of the most fun parts of the whole "virtual conversation" thing. In ME2 things were a little better, due to better writing.
    DA was a shock and backwards step in the dialog department. It reminds me of how the PC in Fable never had a voice and your character just looked like a dummy whenever the camera was on them. At least in KoTOR your PC would make hilarious smirking faces.

In reality it's really no differant than seeing the full block of text and choosing it. It's still a set of 3-5 choices that are predetermined that you really have no say over.

And If your character says exactly what you choose than what's the point of the voiceover and acting? understand that the character isn't you it's Shepard and your watching/playing his story. You can decide to be nice or a dick but ultimatly it's a story about him.

Yeah, and I have almost no emotional connection to my Shepard at all, whereas I'm extremely fond of my DA:O character whose every nuance of conversation style has been (the illusion of) my choice.

Mostly I didn't like ME's dialog because it was a very small amount of invariably boring choices (that mostly just boiled down to clicking "polite" every time to get paragon points) that then turned into even more boring spoken sentences (more a fault of ME1 than 2), whereas the DA system had a ton of variety.

I'm not hating on mass effect - I loved both games - but I'll be sad to see the "paragraph of text" system go, as I find it to be very fun - if not more fun - for the above reasons.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Planescape: Torment could have been done with a dialogue wheel, provided the writers were good enough

THERE I SAID IT

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guess my complaining worked. I just got my magazine.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I actually like the "paragraph of shit" aspect, and find choosing a response that best matches what I want to say (or just the funniest option) to be a lot more fun than good/neutral/evil sans flavor. Hell, mostly it was never even a choice because I was trying so hard to accumulate paragon points that I just clicked "good" every time. (At least ME2, when the actual dialog didn't match what you expected, sometimes erred on the side of awesome. ME1 was just boring most of the time.)

if you just picked the top right every time that could explain why it lacked flavor for you

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm a completionist, when a game puts something in my way that I need more paragon points to overcome I can't really help it.

Anyway, ME2 was a lot better, I didn't have many complaints, but I still miss the variety.

For me, the idea that ME conversations can flow was kind of a bust because I still sat around forever trying to decide which option to take at the more interesting junctures.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    lol, you're complaining about missing variety but you only chose the same option over and over again. Did you want to get paragon points for insulting someone or hitting them in the face, or even being a little snarky?

EDIT: But yes, the paragon option is usually a little more bland but it is in most games. There are a couple of times you get to do the right thing and tell the bad guy he's wrong you'll kick his ass.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd prefer for there not to be paragon/renegade points at all.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Yeah same. I can't remember if Fallout had a karma system, but what I remember loving about it is it felt like it didn't.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Well, it's their attempt at creating a lasting impression and a reputation for your character. NPCs are supposed to react differently to you etc based on your previous actions. It would be interesting if it were done behind the scenes but people like seeing it so they know what to change or how much more they need to be nice or be a dick.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't mind the conversation options, but I felt like the interrupts were sometimes coded for either paragon or renegade when they could and should have been neutral. Throwing a merc out the window? Why is that renegade? If I hadn't done it I'd (I assume) have to gun him down after the conversation. Either way, he's dead. I was just more efficient by pushing him. Same with the guy who was working on the gunship. Either way I'm killing mercs and eventually shooting down that ship. All the renegade option did was take him out early. It's not like he was going to walk out of there anyhow.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

yeah same.

I too would approve of this. Just lemme be more persuasive by putting points in and we're good.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This so hard. If it's an achievement, a bonus to a stat, a chance for an item or just to see a bar fill I will go balls to wall Blue/Red instead of just going with the dialog option I would've chosen normally. It hasn't been all that detrimental to my enjoyment of the games, but I think the ride would've been alot more nuanced.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Well, it's their attempt at creating a lasting impression and a reputation for your character. NPCs are supposed to react differently to you etc based on your previous actions. It would be interesting if it were done behind the scenes but people like seeing it so they know what to change or how much more they need to be nice or be a dick.

Then they should do a faction system. It would make more sense and actually allow for some hard choices in who to piss off and not piss off.

Couscous on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rodent242 wrote: »

This so hard. If it's an achievement, a bonus to a stat, a chance for an item or just to see a bar fill I will go balls to wall Blue/Red instead of just going with the dialog option I would've chosen normally. It hasn't been all that detrimental to my enjoyment of the games, but I think the ride would've been alot more nuanced.

If you play again, there are enough points available in ME2 that you can max one bar and get the other (I think) about halfway full. So you don't have to skip that renegade interrupt because you want to max your charm instead of intimidate.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    Rodent242 wrote: »

If you play again, there are enough points available in ME2 that you can max one bar and get the other (I think) about halfway full. So you don't have to skip that renegade interrupt because you want to max your charm instead of intimidate.

Yeah, I've been alittle less adamant about it in my second play-through. Hasn't stopped the nagging feeling that I'm playing the system rather then the character though. I rationalize it away with "Well, this Shepard really is a jackass and or saint", still would've prefered it without the system though, it adds nothing to the fun of the game.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Guess my complaining worked. I just got my magazine.

Fears eased?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    I don't mind the conversation options, but I felt like the interrupts were sometimes coded for either paragon or renegade when they could and should have been neutral. Throwing a merc out the window? Why is that renegade? If I hadn't done it I'd (I assume) have to gun him down after the conversation. Either way, he's dead. I was just more efficient by pushing him. Same with the guy who was working on the gunship. Either way I'm killing mercs and eventually shooting down that ship. All the renegade option did was take him out early. It's not like he was going to walk out of there anyhow.

I think they were looking at it from whether or not they had a fighting chance. You know the whole honorable fight angle. Did they have the time to pull out their weapon or did you shoot them in the back without giving them a chance? Not that they really had a chance against Shepard and his squad but anyways...

Now that the Ogre's sad -_- face had been pointed out I can't see anything else in that screenshot. That's probably a good thing though. I'm thinking that the look has less to do with his friend lying on the floor bleeding out and more about the fact that the shots were released in this state though. Overall the gameinformer article was pretty good and I'm not too worried. It's Bioware and they've trained me well over the years.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So, I just read the GI article for it. Was very good.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

From what I understand the dumb part is you only get a "good" ending if you go all the way paragon or all the way renegade, and a half-assed one if you are anywhere in between, encouraging you to always go one way or the other fully. That's stupid.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Smrtnik wrote: »

From what I understand the dumb part is you only get a "good" ending if you go all the way paragon or all the way renegade, and a half-assed one if you are anywhere in between, encouraging you to always go one way or the other fully. That's stupid.

That's not accurate.

You only get the half-assed ending if your choice on the last decision is in conflict with your Paragon/Renegade status.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hence why I said "from what i understand". I haven't played either Mass Effect. So what happens if you alternate your paragon/renegade choices and are therefore somewhere in the middle of the scale by the time this "last choice" rolls around. is the "last choice" binary?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »

This would be awesome, but logistics get in the way. With at least two inflections for every line, every conversation becomes a labyrinthine mess of possible responses. I don't know how they could correctly give you full-voice companions like that.

Which is why all these people whining about needing everything voiced, especially the protagonist, are holding the genre back. And this is where I'd lament the death of developers with "single A ambitions" as even companies like Obsidian and Cd Projekt are reaching for AAA rather than designing more appropriately sized games

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Just give me a fucking cloak or coat such as mages had in Arcanum and I'll be happy.

So basically have wizards dressed like Harry Dresden?

dresden.jpg

I can totally go for that
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, it's really the art style, not the graphics themselves that's really concerning. I mean, DAO looked pretty good

Well Dwarf Fortress is easily in my top 5 most played games (that aren't MMOs), so if the game is playable darwinia units I'd be happy as long as the dialogue and story are good

override367 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »

That's not accurate.

You only get the half-assed ending if your choice on the last decision is in conflict with your Paragon/Renegade status.

this is also not accurate

there is no half-assed ending

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png