As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Rambunctious Young Krogan Lasses

curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue DealerRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
MASS EFFECT MOVIE IS HAPPENING NEIL BLOMKAMP PL0X

In the Mass Effect universe everybody is so nice and dresses so well
monocleeffect.jpg
k6IUh.jpg
Skybox issues rock.

Kasumi is out, and she rocks: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/kasumi-trailer-mass-effect/63466?type=flv

Even the robot butler!

Legion___Back_in_the_day_____by_InsidiousSquid.png

LET THERE BE ALT COSTUMES!:
rubb5t.jpg

Masseffectlogo.png
Wiki wrote:
Mass Effect is an award-winning, bestselling series of science fiction RPG third person shooters developed by the Canadian company BioWare and released on the Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. The first game takes place in the year 2183, with the player assuming the role of an elite human soldier named Commander Shepard, set out to explore the Galaxy on a starship, the SSV Normandy. The Xbox 360 edition was released worldwide in November 2007 published by Microsoft Game Studios. The Windows edition was released on May 28, 2008, published by Electronic Arts. The first downloadable content package, Bring Down the Sky, was released on March 10, 2008 (with a PC version released on July 29, 2008) The second downloadable content package, Pinnacle Station, was released on August 25, 2009 for the PC and Xbox 360.

AND THE WIKI!

AND MASS EFFECT 2 GUIDE / WALKTHROUGH!

End-game hot tips:
Garrus has a high defense (in that he will protect more characters), but he will actually die before Legion, Samara, and Thane. Thane is third in line after Grunt and Zaeed when it comes to surviving.

A developer stated that Thane was originally going to have the third highest defense, but when they remembered Garrus' recruitment mission, they switched their defense scores out.

But Garrus will still die before them.

It's in the game files, and BioWare released a Suicide Mission guide on it.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/2933016/1

Want to play the class of kings? How to Vanguard 101

Just imagine that every post is being spoken in this tone.Airquotes

And the only true romance: Is that a new hairstyle?

Think Zaeed's a stone cold killer? He's not, and here's proof: Jessie - A Love Story

All aboard the Love Boat with Jacob Taylor: The Prize - Jacob Taylor

Kasanagi's early Christmas present to us; a mod that turns the widow into a fully automatic death machine:
Kasanagi wrote: »

Are you on your second+ game? Stop sweating the small stuff and install this: http://www.masseffectsaves.com/mods/kbo.zip

Features:
No startup movies
Infinite "Storm" AKA Sprint
Modified Krogun - 6 shot magazine, 24 spare ammo (40 after research upgrade), semi-automatic, high speed ROF.
Modified Widow - 6 shot magazine, 24 spare ammo, semi-automatic, high speed ROF (same as krogun's).

Just drop this in your Mass Effect 2 install folder under \BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked\ , make sure to backup your current coalesced.ini first, just in

case http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJj0_s6d5kM [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=F4xFFV_uy8I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4xFFV_uy8I[/URL]!

last, but hardly least, we have TychoCelchuuu's Mass Effect Facebook pages: one two three | FOUR!

oh, and
4518457363f437e78056o.jpg

This post is made possible by contributions from...

Bioware

Dox the Most Illustrious Private Investigator

the Curly is a Sucker for Sci-Fi Foundation

and

Viewers Like You

Thank you.

RxI0N.png
Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
curly haired boy on

• ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So this is the thread for the new Dragon Age game right? Heard they were putting some more action elements in the sequel.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    :
    4518457363f437e78056o.jpg

Kasumi got a little too exited killing that guy and, well.. lets just say her next suit had to have a reinforced crotch

Buttcleft on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shrieve wrote: »
    So this is the thread for the new Dragon Age game right? Heard they were putting some more action elements in the sequel.

sorry, this is the neckbeard thread. Your place to make fart jokes and look at monocle and stovepipe hat photoshops.

Nartwak on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When's the next DLC coming after Overlord?

BlackDove on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So.

I was all in the Dragon Age thread,

talkin' 'bout Dragon Age 2.

And I remembered that I didn't play either Mass Effect game.
    So I downloaded ME2s demo.

I get it now. Will be buying the game asap. Is the first one worth starting with at all?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    On Insanity, how powerful should I be before trying to tackle Overlord?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    When's the next DLC coming after Overlord?

No word as of yet, IIRC.

Dr. Worm on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    I get it now. Will be buying the game asap. Is the first one worth starting with at all?
    For story reasons, yes. Be warned that it's clunkier than ME2 in a lot of ways, but it's still worth playing.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So.

Yes, and make sure to cut the council off at every opportunity you have

glithert on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, that explains the title.

The first one is indeed worth playing, just be ready for the rather mediocre combat (collision detection problems, stupid enemies, stupid allies, drunk sniper action, etc.) Oh, and bugs. Still worth playing.

Synthesis on
    edited July 2010
    So.

You heathen.

But as to picking up Mass Effect 1; it will probably depend on how much you enjoy hybrid RPGs. Overall the story is awesome and the entire arc of the game is very engaging, although it does start off pretty slow (the Citadel for example). However the combat is definitely not as polished as the sequel, particularly with some classes being kind of gimp. A lot of the combat comes down to max'ing out pistols and firing away. The Mako explorations can get pretty boring as well, but for the most part they aren't mandatory. Basically it's a great game but nowhere near as polished as 2.

I personally couldn't think of touching 2 without playing through 1 at least once, but yrmv.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, ME1's bugs in combat (with the exception of enemies getting stuck deep in walls or getting knocked down and locked out of the menu on Noveria) can be "overcome" by exploiting the fact that you can make weapons ridiculous powerful and enemies are usually too stupid to hit you.

Honestly, I'm with a the people who recommend you just ignore the combat when it appears and embrace the whimsical story of adventure.

Synthesis on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Well, that explains the title.

The first one is indeed worth playing, just be ready for the rather mediocre combat (collision detection problems, stupid enemies, stupid allies, drunk sniper action, etc.) Oh, and bugs. Still worth playing.

Just play a vanguard and shotgun snipe everything. :P

Also, yeah, just play ME1 on easy. Not that the game is really that hard on harder difficulties, but you get through the crummier gameplay faster so you can get to the good story bits.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The biggest problem I have with the combat is those damn Asari Commandos. I'm playing through on hardcore, and every time I fight one, they just use barrier, then run right up to me knock me over, and stand there and shoot me while my teammates watch. I don't get it.

At least I have the spectre weapons now, which largely seems to have solved the problem

glithert on
    edited July 2010
    On the other hand, while I'm sure any ME movie will be able to avoid ME1's crummy, bug-rid combat (but imagine how hilarious it would be to watch a male lead holster his gun only to have it keep firing for the whole scene or even the whole movie), I'm not too optimistic about an actual adaptation. That being said, the story does give a lot of leeway to specific details.

Synthesis on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Video game rarely have good to movie ports. I mean, ME1's story is pretty cut and dry(though you would have to cut a bit) but they'll still mess it up somehow.

Though I guess Legendary has a decent track record with the Batman movies, 300, Watchmen, and Inception.

But they also funded Jonah Hex.

Dragkonias on
    edited July 2010
    On the other hand, while I'm sure any ME movie will be able to avoid ME1's crummy, bug-rid combat (but imagine how hilarious it would be to watch a male lead holster his gun only to have it keep firing for the whole scene or even the whole movie), I'm not too optimistic about an actual adaptation. That being said, the story does give a lot of leeway to specific details.

movie of the year

SHEPARD TURN YOUR GUN OFF I NEED TO TALK TO YOU

Shepard just shrugs his shoulders and says its a glitch

Buttcleft on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can't read this from work, but Bioware says more Mass Effect comics are on the way:
    http://bit.ly/d0BMX5

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited July 2010
    What if Mark Vanderloo got the role to play Shepard in the movie.

I dont know if that'd be magnificent or horrifying.

Buttcleft on
    edited July 2010
    I'm not too optimistic about an actual adaptation. That being said, the story does give a lot of leeway to specific details.

Particularly on the details of Shepard. Come on we know default Shep would make for a boring generic sci fi action; Femshep all the way.

They could even throw in some Liara scenes if they felt having a female lead might turn away some of the High School crowd...

Buttcleft wrote: »
    What if Mark Vanderloo got the role to play Shepard in the movie.

I dont know if that'd be magnificent or horrifying.

He could play Udina and Shepard could punch him for being so generic.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
    edited July 2010
    in Evolution we learn the Illusive Man is Daniel Jackson

Buttcleft on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not too optimistic about an actual adaptation. That being said, the story does give a lot of leeway to specific details.

Particularly on the details of Shepard. Come on we know default Shep would make for a boring generic sci fi action; Femshep all the way.

They could even throw in some Liara scenes if they felt having a female lead might turn away some of the High School crowd...

You do know Male and Femshep are almost completely interchangable personality-wise, right?

Dragkonias on
    edited July 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

You do know Male and Femshep are almost completely interchangable personality-wise, right?

his point, I believe, is BOOBS

Buttcleft on
    edited July 2010

Liara scenes aside, female Shepard rather than male Shepard would be a rather unexpected twist in the genre, as far as I can tell. As far as sci-fi lead heroines you've got....Ripley....and....I guess one woman (count 'em) per Star Wars trilogy.

Still, can't see it happening. Staying true to the source material/afraid of alienating the audience/people don't want female leads/whatever.

EDIT: Also, Gilbert Godfried for Admiral Hackett. Because you know they'll never cast Lance Henriksen, that's against the rules. Go the whole nine yards then.

Synthesis on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

All the top-hat wearing monocle cool guys agree that Femshep > Maleshep.

Orca on
    edited July 2010
    Orca wrote: »

All the top-hat wearing monocle cool guys agree that Femshep > Maleshep.

Hmm, that we do.

Synthesis on
    edited July 2010

Including male Shep's wooden, stale voice acting and Hale nailing both Renegage and Paragon personalities perfectly? Then yeah.

But true in the movie how well the voice actors did has little bearing on who they pick as the lead.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Femshep sounds like she's downed a bottle of NyQuil with an Ambien chaser.

Every line from her sounds to me like she is so bored, and just doesn't give a fuck.

Ad astra on
  • SychocydeSychocyde Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I like Renegade Manshep if only because of how much of a douche he comes across as. Also, I find Paragon Manshep's awkward dadchat amusing, especially when he's lecturing thousand year old aliens.

Femshep is more consistent, but I think she sounds like she's trying to do a Marcus Fenix impression or something. She's pretty much a generic action game hero, who just happens to have a vagina, rather than anything too special.

Honestly, neither of them are that great.

Sychocyde on
    edited July 2010
    Sychocyde wrote: »
    I like Renegade Manshep if only because of how much of a douche he comes across as. Also, I find Paragon Manshep's awkward dadchat amusing, especially when he's lecturing thousand year old aliens.

Femshep is more consistent, but I think she sounds like she's trying to do a Marcus Fenix impression or something. She's pretty much a generic action game hero, who just happens to have a vagina, rather than anything too special.

Honestly, neither of them are that great.

I blame being surrounded by a cast of interesting, rounded teamates. That and being the PC in an RPG they have to be slightly generic so that the player can project as much as possible and make their own choices. In that respect Shepard has more personality then most WRPGs main heroes. But yeah overall they are pretty basic action heroes. Shepard isn't really what makes the Mass effect universe interesting. He/she is just there as the vehicle for the players ride through the world.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Liara scenes aside, female Shepard rather than male Shepard would be a rather unexpected twist in the genre, as far as I can tell. As far as sci-fi lead heroines you've got....Ripley....and....I guess one woman (count 'em) per Star Wars trilogy.

Still, can't see it happening. Staying true to the source material/afraid of alienating the audience/people don't want female leads/whatever.

EDIT: Also, Gilbert Godfried for Admiral Hackett. Because you know they'll never cast Lance Henriksen, that's against the rules. Go the whole nine yards then.

I never played femshep, I thought the male sheperd was awesome and delivered the lines really well. And yes, I did see people using the femshep. I don't know, I think either would work for a movie. Although, if you had a female sheperd it would be a huge thing for film if they kept Miranda on the crew as well. A female lead, with the main sidekick also being female! Impossible!

One really tough thing is figuring out who can be cut from Mass Effects crew cast without difficulty! I'd say Kaiden Alenko is an easy drop, in the second you can lose Jacob, Grunt, and Thane (although the last two would be good addtions, you just can't have that many cast members easily!)

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited July 2010
    I think Ms. Shepard has a significant upper hand over Mr. Shepard in Paragon/Regenade dialogue, in part because she doesn't sound nearly as awkward and is much more consistent. On the other hand, she lacks her male counterpart's sheer douchebaggery in the renegade route, but she also sounds more serious and less "bweeheehee evil" too.

Synthesis on
    edited July 2010
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Although, if you had a female sheperd it would be a huge thing for film if they kept Miranda on the crew as well. A female lead, with the main sidekick also being female! Impossible!

xenawarriorprincessposter006.jpg

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
    edited July 2010
    I'd prefer if the movie didn't have anything to do with Shepard and focused on someone else. Shepard's exploits should be mentioned, and there should be some cameos from some of his squad members, but I don't think it should be about him.

Ad astra on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The movie should be about my Shepard.

Orca on
    edited July 2010

My Shepard is the best.

They're gonna choose my Shepard.

Because he's the best.

BlackDove on
    edited July 2010

My Shepard is the best.

Because he's the best.

Oh yeah?

Does yours have all the achievements? I bet you let Mordin die too.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
    edited July 2010
    The Shepard up on the big screen will do something like spare a Batarian, and I'll be sitting in the audience quietly mumbling about how My Shepard would never spare a Batarian!

Ad astra on
    edited July 2010
    Ad astra wrote: »
    The Shepard up on the big screen will do something like spare a Batarian, and I'll be sitting in the audience quietly mumbling about how My Shepard would never spare a Batarian!

And now the movie is already ruined for me. If I don't Shepard ruthelessly taking out every dirty Batarian, then well... it's just not Mass Effect.

Great job Neil Blomkamp; you ruined a Sci Fi series with more potential then Star Wars. I hope your happy.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
    edited July 2010

My Shepard is the best.

Because he's the best.

Oh yeah?

Does yours have all the achievements? I bet you let Mordin die too.

NOT TRUUUUUUUUUE

MY SHEPARD IS THE BEST SHEPARD. HE SAVED EVERYONE. I BET KELLY DIED FOR YOU.

THEY WILL PICK MY SHEPARD.

WILL TOO!

BlackDove on