As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SF Bay Area meetups

SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in PAX Archive
So, kinda last minute, I suppose, but is anyone else going to Paul and Storm in San Francisco tonight?

More generally I figure it would be useful to keep up to date on geek events in the area of this caliber, since I missed frontalot earlier this week due to not knowing he was here until it was too late.

SlickShughes on

• Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm down in the bay area fairly often, usually for archery stuff. I know there's a pretty big group of us in the bay area/central California region, so this is an awesome thread.

Also, if anyone wants to get into archery it's really a lot of fun, and there's a GORGEOUS range in Pacifica.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll be heading to the (south) Bay Area in two weeks for an internship and won't know anyone, so I'd be down for some meetups. Obviously, I am not making it to the concert tonight, but would be up for a concert if anyone knows cool musicians coming in. Last time I tried archery was at summer camp in 7th grade, and I was pathetic, but I guess I could give it a try again if that's what people are into and someone wanted to give me a ride to Pacifica :P

Lynx_ on
  • Options
    HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd be down. I'm in Oakland.

edit: down for meeting up, that is. Probably not so much for the archery :)

Herkimer on
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I will be at Paul and Storm this evening but you already knew that since you reminded me to get tickets.

I am also down for other meetup type events as well.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would be interested. But given my aim I think everyone would be much happier if I never picked up a bow. :)

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    Rob SpewackRob Spewack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had an idea for a PAX meet-up today...anyone interested in some sort of classic games tournament at Tilt in the Metreon?

Rob Spewack on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I had an idea for a PAX meet-up today...anyone interested in some sort of classic games tournament at Tilt in the Metreon?
    Sounds good! I've never been to Tilt, but I'll take your word that it has some decent games. Speaking of arcades, is anyone else going to California Extreme 2010? I'm going to try to go on Saturday.

Lynx_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Woo, more last minute bay area geek event announcements! Serenity and Dr Horrible are playing in SF tomorrow (Saturday) night. I know at least 6 paxers will be there, if anyone else is, give a shout, we can practice our line waiting skills outside the theater.

Also, as more of a fyi, mc chris is playing Santa Cruz the same night, and SF on Sunday. Don't think I'll make it to either, but thought there might be interest.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Breaking the trend of "last minute" postings...

WHEN: June 19, 2010.
    WHERE: Santa Rosa, CA.
    WHAT: Our annual "welcome to summer" aka "Beer-N-Brats" party.
    WHO: Any PAX people are invited.... but there are rules!!

We provide a good quantity of a variety of locally butchered and produced sausages. Typically we buy around 20 lbs of sausage, ranging from bratwurst, to kielbasa, to sicilian to apple-lamb, to ... well, let's just say that there are going to be a lot of different sausages. We also will have vegetarian side dishes and options for the non-meat eaters.

We typically start around 2PM. Gaming starts around 4PM. Usually we will split into "casual" and "hardcore" gaming groups, usually 8-10 people in each group. Casual games include Apples to Apples, The Great Dalmuti, Word on the Street, any one of a number of Pyramid games, and (of course) the ubiquitous Rock Band, among MANY others. Hardcore games will include things like Descent, A Game of Thrones, Bang!, Lord of the Fries, Munchkin, Citadels, etc. We are always looking for new games that can handle large groups as well.

Past years have ended with the last Rock Band song finale around 5AM. This is our first year in our new house so we are planning on making this year even Bigger! Better! Faster! AND Stronger!! than prior years. We have plenty of space for overnighters.

All ages welcome. A few people bring their teenage kids. A couple people bring their parents.

The Rules:

1. You MUST bring a six-pack of your favorite Beer. Exception: if your favorite beer comes in containers larger than 12 oz (350ml) you may bring as few as four bottles/containers. One attendee brews his own and brings four one-liter bale-top bottles.

2. "Beer" does not require alcohol. Root beer is technically still beer. (It's even in the name: Root BEER.) We will seed the cooler with a couple of non-alcoholic choices for under-21 participants. Lindeman's Framboise is also considered "beer" and we would thank you for bringing four bottles!

All beer will be put into a very large and very public cooler and covered with ice.

3. You may drink ONLY ONE of whatever you brought. There will be plenty of other beverages to sample, and the idea is to try other people's favorites as well.

Others will be drinking what you brought, too. So if your favorite beer is Bud Lite, Corona, or any Coors product, feel free to bring that... but be prepared to be on the receiving end of some well-intentioned teasing. Like most gamers, we're a sarcastic bunch; proudly displaying your lack of good taste and experience will be just so much fodder for the joke-mills as we happily introduce you to new flavors.

On the other hand, if you buy some random brew because you don't know what else to bring and it turns out to taste like ass, you will be derided for years! We had some moron bring some apricot ale two years ago because they didn't want to be "embarrassed" by Corona, and we STILL make fun of them. (No offense intended to anyone who actually likes apricot ale.) The moral of the story: you're much better off bringing a six-pack of PBR and deal with a few good-natured jibes than risking being the butt of beer-flavored jokes for years afterwards.

4. Our home is a non-judgment zone. Wheaton's Law will be STRICTLY be enforced!

PM me for an official invitation, address, contact info, et al.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh, wow. I grew up in Sebastopol, so I know right where this is at. I would LOVE to come... now to get the time off work, as I happen to be on call that weekend...

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In the interest of this whole "advance notice" theme...

WHAT?: Geek Fight! SF
    WHEN?: July 8, 8pm - 11pm
    WHERE?: Moon's Family Sports Pub, 215 S B St, San Mateo, CA
    HUH?: Geek themed trivia. Totally awesome.

This is a monthly event, I went last week and had a blast. People were great, and trivia was both genuinely challenging and fun.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

This is a monthly event, I went last week and had a blast. People were great, and trivia was both genuinely challenging and fun.
    agh, I can't believe I didn't know about this earlier! I would have totally been there last week, too. Is the trivia general geek e.g. Qs on Star Trek or specifically video game geek? I might be able to sell some of my fellow interns on going, too.
    (I'm assuming there are no questions on sports, which I can totally get behind. I hate questions on sports, but they tend to be like 50%+ of bar trivia qs whenever I go)

Lynx_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lynx_ wrote: »

agh, I can't believe I didn't know about this earlier! I would have totally been there last week, too. Is the trivia general geek e.g. Qs on Star Trek or specifically video game geek? I might be able to sell some of my fellow interns on going, too.
    (I'm assuming there are no questions on sports, which I can totally get behind. I hate questions on sports, but they tend to be like 50%+ of bar trivia qs whenever I go)

Near as I can tell it's only been around a few months anyway. It's general geek, 6 categories a month with 10 questions and a bonus point each. Last time was Cartoons, Anime, Sports, Vampires, Mythology, and General Knowledge. Don't worry too much about the sports, I loathe sport trivia as well and my team got 10/11 points on it - questions included: what sport did Sam Anders play on the new Battlestar Galactica series, name the positions on a regulation Quiddich team, and what is the name of the dance performed by the New Zealand All Blacks before each match.

Where are you interning?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm at a law firm in the area. I don't know many gamers here, but there might be some geeks.

Lynx_ on
  • Options
    Patriot MaryPatriot Mary Registered User new member
    edited June 2010

do you know a website where i can find more info on this?
    we work in Fremont - wanna check it out and bring the office :)
    i love trivia.

-mary

Patriot Mary on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

do you know a website where i can find more info on this?
    we work in Fremont - wanna check it out and bring the office :)
    i love trivia.

-mary

All they have is a Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Geek-FightSF/#!/pages/Geek-FightSF/110169059010802?ref=ts

Glad there's interest. I'll wear a PAX shirt next time.

EDIT: bah, hard to link from Droid browser. Trying again, if it doesn't work just facebook search "Geek Fight!SF"

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

This sounds fantastic. I love trivia but my weekly group in Campbell stopped going. Not sure if I'll be able to find anyone else to come, but I'm interested.

I work right next to the Sunnyvale Caltrain, so this could not be in a better location.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Categories for geek trivia night next week: pirates, ninjas, cowboys, aliens, zombies, and robots!

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lynx_ wrote: »
    Sounds good! I've never been to Tilt, but I'll take your word that it has some decent games. Speaking of arcades, is anyone else going to California Extreme 2010? I'm going to try to go on Saturday.

Actually, yes. I was planning on doing the same and my friends and I are currently working out on how we're going to handle it. At this point it's a toss-up between either renting a car and driving down and back or taking CalTrain down and spending the night. There should definitely be a mini-PAX meetup there though and Saturday seems like the best day to go.

Belgand on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, that's like 15 minutes away from me... I might have to go to this.

Sevorak on
  • Options
    BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just an update but I'm definitely going to be down at California Extreme this coming Saturday with friends. We're getting a room at the Hyatt and there will not only be gaming awesomeness, but a friend has expressed interest in getting some full-on partying in as well.

Hit me up at belgand @ gmail if you're planning on making the trip as well and we can get some pre-PAX fun in.

Belgand on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey all, friendly reminder that another Geek Trivia night is happening in San Mateo on Thursday. Their facebook page has changed (again).

http://www.facebook.com/geeksvsgeeks

Come join* me and Omeganaut Contrefait as we try to not lose by a point again.

This month's categories include:
    - Star Wars
    - Dystopian Realities
    - Connect the Dots
    - Alcohol
    - Disney
    - "Fictional" Music

*Actually our team - Connery - is full. But we'd love to meet some other area PAXers anyway!

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds fun, but san mateo's a bit far for my tastes(Good on contrefait for making the drive, though). It would be cool to meet some of you bay area guys though(at least, the ones I haven't met already).

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    JetraubenJetrauben Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Huh. sounds interesting.

I live in the Bay Area (in Morgan Hill to be precise.) How far a drive would that be, if you're allowing new guys to come?

Jetrauben on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Google says an hour, though who knows with traffic. It looks like the place is a couple block from the San Mateo Caltrain though. I'd be up for heading up there to try it out if there's enough interest for a new team.

Sevorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Google maps say an hour or so, which is the same distance contre drives, but from the opposite direction. And it's not that new players aren't allowed, just that teams are limited to 5 players and we've got 5 already. You could form your own!

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    JetraubenJetrauben Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aww. Maybe I could attend as a press observer.

Jetrauben on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh, you don't need 5. First time I went I only had a group of 3, and we still came in second.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    HoneydewHoneydew Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know a group of people that would be down for this! Just wanna check though - some of my team would be under 21, is that okay?

Honeydew on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Excellent question! I'm not sure, I'll see what I can find out.

If I had to wager a guess, I don't think it would be a problem. They don't card at the door, just when ordering drinks.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Official word is 21+. But again, they don't card coming into the place, so you might take your chances.

Any one who decides to come tomorrow, I'll be on team Connery, and wearing a Claptraps shirt.

SlickShughes on
This discussion has been closed.