As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Audo & Video Wrangling w/ Appearances by DVI, HDMI, and 3.5mm Stereo

iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Alrighty H/A, lets (try to) help out 'ole iTIE.

[strike]Up until today I've run both my PC's audio+video, and my 360's audio+video right into my monitor. The PC's connected by DVI for video and a 3.5mm stereo cable from the audio out on the back of my PC for sound. The 360's connected by HDMI, and that takes care of both sound and video. So that works OK, but the monitor's speakers are pretty craptacular. So I picked up a little Logitech 2.1 setup thinking I could just run the audio out from the monitor into the speakers. Lo and behold there's no audio out on the monitor. Of course not, good job checking that first, me. "Poop," says me.

So now I'm looking for a way to make this work. I need to get both sets of video playing through the monitor, and both sets of audio playing through the speakers. Obviously not at the same time, but you get the idea.

I've found a couple of HDMI switches that almost do exactly what I need to do, but that don't get me quite there. I'm currently looking at this:
hdmiswitch.jpg

The "stereo" plug you see there is stereo OUT. That's important for the following whining. That's almost friggin perfect. I can run the 360 into there, I can get a $4 DVI=>HDMI converter for the PC video, I can plug the Logitech speakers into the stereo out, but then I'm stuck on how to get the PC audio into the switch. My next idea was "is there a converter that will allow me to combine DVI video with Stereo audio into an HDMI out?" Apparently this device doesn't exist, or it evades me. I've gotten frustrated here and have hit a wall.

So I turn to you H/A. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? I don't have to go the route of that HDMI switch, since $40 is a little more than I was wanting to do anyway (if it worked I'd bite the bullet and do it to it though). What say you gentlemen and ladies? Advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS: Oh, my video card can do HDMI-out, so I can even not worry about the DVI=>HDMI part, but the HDMI-out on the card doesn't carry audio with it I don't think.[/strike]

Ok, I got sound going through the HDMI-out on my video card too (gracias, Atom), so now I just need to find and HDMI switch that will let me do stereo out. I don't care if it does the red+white RCA jacks instead of the 3.5mm plug. Looking for one that's less than $50. Thanks again guys.

iTunesIsEvil on

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Double check on the video card HDMI carrying audio. I've got a 9800GTX+ that does audio over HDMI, but you have to connect it up from the mobo to the card with a cable.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gah. You're a genius, Atom. A genius I say!

Now, step 2. Is there a more affordable HDMI switch out there that'll do stereo-out as well?

OP edited to reflect current H/A that I need. :)

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gah. You're a genius, Atom. A genius I say!

Now, step 2. Is there a more affordable HDMI switch out there that'll do stereo-out as well?

OP edited to reflect current H/A that I need. :)

Not really. There's one at Monoprice listed at $62, but it's not available...don't know if it's gone, or if it's coming soon. Plus the listing looks pretty incomplete, so not sure what's going on with that.

Otherwise, all I'm seeing are the same $150+ parts you probably found. The issue you'll run into is that by adding analog audio out you're actually adding a lot of additional hardware, in a low-volume item...so not cheap.

mcdermott on