As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Shaman], Enhancing your PVPs like crazy

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arkady wrote: »
    The totem thing frustrates me. There are times when certain totems would be helpful in PvE but fuck if I'm giving up SoE or WF for them. The various short effect totems really need to get the "hand of" treatment where they aren't totems anymore, at least in the using up a totem slot sense.

Wards. Grounding Ward etc.

reVerse on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's an excellent idea reVerse.

As for the dev chat, I wonder what the boost to Mental Quickness will entail. And knowing that Primal Wisdom is here to stay (by virtue of them aiming at it being a must-have) is awesome.

Henroid on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    That's an excellent idea reVerse.

As for the dev chat, I wonder what the boost to Mental Quickness will entail. And knowing that Primal Wisdom is here to stay (by virtue of them aiming at it being a must-have) is awesome.

I agree, though if there's one thing we didn't need it was another reason to stack the pants off of haste.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bet people will still ask how to gem.

Henroid on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bet people will still ask how to gem.

To be fair enh gemming is pretty silly. Hit until capped, then expertise until capped, and then AP. Unless you're at t9 levels, then haste. Unless you find yourself at the crit cap, at which point it's enough hit to get back out from under the crit cap, then haste.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    (guaranteed)

I don't know what you're talking about :whistle:

Personally, I think spirit link would work best as say, a reverse beacon, causing your target to share damage of a few nearby players

Kai_San on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This just in: 31-point talent trees best thing ever. You're fully specced already at level 50 now? Yes fucking please. I almost want to level a whole new shaman just because

but seriously the new trees are great, anyone but me gonna go elemental with 2/2 in the enh movement talent?

Also, not exactly news but lord dual speccing ele/resto will mean you have one set of gear with maybe a few different weapons and trinkets to pick from

I am so fucking stoked

Senshi on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    (Re: OP) Enhancement doesn't stack Hit to the special cap, it stacks to the spell cap--17%, or 446 hit rating. 368 with a shadow priest/balance druid in the group. 66 Hit rating is woefully underpowered.

Gem choices should be thus: Nightmare Tear for the blue gem, then any combination of Accurate/Rigid/Precise gems until the Hit & Expertise caps, and then Bright and Quick after that. Deft shouldn't enter the equation.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Q. Will Spirit Link make a return after all? Ghostcrawler mentioned he'd like to bring it back, but no sighting of it yet.
    A. Anything’s possible, but at this point it isn’t looking good for our beloved talent…. If we changed it to be an absorb or a different sort of mechanic, then it wouldn’t be the iconic Spirit Link that we all remember from Warcraft III. But that core damage-sharing mechanic poses major design and balance challenges (e.g. does a rogue really want to start taking damage suddenly because the shaman in his group decided to link him to the tank?).

Nooo! Spirit Links was my favoritest thing from WotLK beta. Give it back :(
    This just in: 31-point talent trees best thing ever. You're fully specced already at level 50 now? Yes fucking please. I almost want to level a whole new shaman just because

I thought you would get your 31st point at lv 70.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    edited July 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    This just in: 31-point talent trees best thing ever. You're fully specced already at level 50 now?

You'll only get talent points every other level now. You won't have Feral Spirit until 69, and you won't be fully specced until 85.

reVerse on
    edited July 2010
    They say every other level, but seeing that you start at 10 and end currently at 85, 75 / 2 is not 41. I wonder how they are going to handle those few extras. I gues 1 every 2 till 80 then 1 every lever makes the most sense.

Ill get to work on the enh section... again. I didn't know it was so complicated. I am trying to keep things simple though, but the numbers need tweaked. Spell hit cap at least.

I personally will be going resto sub for my ele spec come cata. I don't feel I really need that movement speed, ill take a boot enchant and cope. I never have much issues with it anyway as is, I find ways around movement issues to keep my dps up. I would rather have healing utility, as I very often help with healing in tough spots. Giving up 5 fairly useless points for 7% movement speed and no boot enchant doesn't seem worth it to me.

Kai_San on
    edited July 2010
    Oh, the rest of the section is fine--glyphs are good, build is solid. I just didn't notice the Hit entry until now and went WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I personally will be going resto sub for my ele spec come cata. I don't feel I really need that movement speed, ill take a boot enchant and cope. I never have much issues with it anyway as is, I find ways around movement issues to keep my dps up. I would rather have healing utility, as I very often help with healing in tough spots. Giving up 5 fairly useless points for 7% movement speed and no boot enchant doesn't seem worth it to me.

Well, don't forget the instant ghost wolf which will work indoors

Grobian on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    whatehat every other level

fuck that

oh well won't be leveling another one then. But yeah, having imp. Ghost Wolf in pretty much all builds now is gonna win so hard.

Senshi on
    edited July 2010
    I know about ghost wolf, although I forgot it won't be instant without the talent. But id rather be doing shit like casting frfostshock, dropping totems, nova etc. So its a personal decision, which is what they are going for I guess.

Kai_San on
  • yellowdart2yellowdart2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grobian wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »

Well, don't forget the instant ghost wolf which will work indoors

How will this work? Like, you could use gw in a raid encounter?

yellowdart2 on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeppers!

815165 on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can already use Ghost Wolf in a raid encounter. Parts of Ulduar and even the Ruby Sanctum (Halion) are outdoors.

Grobian on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grobian wrote: »
    You can already use Ghost Wolf in a raid encounter. Parts of Ulduar and even the Ruby Sanctum (Halion) are outdoors.

You can also use it at Sindragosa, I do believe. Trivialises escaping her nova thing even moreso (if you have instant).

Dunxco on
    edited July 2010
    The Lich King's platform is totally outdoors, and anything the game says otherwise is bullshit.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited July 2010
    The whole indoors/outdoors separation for abilities is bullshit anyway. I understand they don't want you to mount up indoors, but it really shouldn't affect class abilities in any way whatsoever. The fact that it does is just bullshit.

reVerse on
    edited July 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    The whole indoors/outdoors separation for abilities is bullshit anyway. I understand they don't want you to mount up indoors, but it really shouldn't affect class abilities in any way whatsoever. The fact that it does is just bullshit.

BUT MY IMMERSION! HOW DOES MOONLIGHT PENETRATE THE ROOF!

To be fair though, turning into a spirit wolf shouldn't have anything to do with being outdoors vs. indoors.

Henroid on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

BUT MY IMMERSION! HOW DOES MOONLIGHT PENETRATE THE ROOF!

To be fair though, turning into a spirit wolf shouldn't have anything to do with being outdoors vs. indoors.

But you get muddy paw prints on the new carpet!
    Makershot wrote: »
    The Lich King's platform is totally outdoors, and anything the game says otherwise is bullshit.

Hell, Booty Bay was indoors until 3.0.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll maintain instant GW should be base, and with you now being locked into specific trees for 31 points, it becomes even more "silly" for anyone that isn't enhancement.

Elemental and Resto (bar using Nature's swiftness) not being able to instant GW until they're X level (someone work this out for me) is redonkulous.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • yellowdart2yellowdart2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I'll maintain instant GW should be base, and with you now being locked into specific trees for 31 points, it becomes even more "silly" for anyone that isn't enhancement.

Elemental and Resto (bar using Nature's swiftness) not being able to instant GW until they're X level (someone work this out for me) is redonkulous.

Agreed. And I knew GW worked on some encounters, specifically Sindragosa. I've seen several shamans use it to get out of the Blistering Cold aoe.

yellowdart2 on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Agreed. And I knew GW worked on some encounters, specifically Sindragosa. I've seen several shamans use it to get out of the Blistering Cold aoe.

You could always run out normally.

I get that people want it, but it's only really needed in Blizzard's mind to allow Enhancement to catch melee targets. Anything else is fluff to them.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I get that people want it, but it's only really needed in Blizzard's mind to allow Enhancement to catch melee targets. Anything else is fluff to them.

The thing I'd look at is "are people using GW when it isn't insta cast?" I think the answer most of the time is no. Imp. GW isn't a fun talent, it's a talent that makes a fun ability usable.

PvP balance aside (and obviously this is something you'd have to consider), GW should be instacast baseline. You can look at abilities like arcane explosion and corruption to get an idea of when talented cast time reductions just end up hindering fun gameplay.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited July 2010
    I would have argued against it till grundle's point, now I completely agree. You might as well make the spell itself talented because noone outside pvp uses it unless its instant. That's pretty much fact.

How many druids would use travel form if it wasn't instant? And that has bigger perks like breaking poly/root.

Kai_San on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    At least Ghost Wolf can't be slowed below 100%... that's, something... right?

Dranyth on
    edited July 2010
    The thing I'd look at is "are people using GW when it isn't insta cast?" I think the answer most of the time is no. Imp. GW isn't a fun talent, it's a talent that makes a fun ability usable.

PvP balance aside (and obviously this is something you'd have to consider), GW should be instacast baseline. You can look at abilities like arcane explosion and corruption to get an idea of when talented cast time reductions just end up hindering fun gameplay.

Ah, but with our luck, they'd see your logic and make it instacast baseline, but also make it talent only.

Automaticzen on
    edited July 2010

Ah, but with our luck, they'd see your logic and make it instacast baseline, but also make it talent only.

Which would still make more sense than 2/3 of a class having an ability they never use solely because of a cast time.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Let's just get rid of it completely then.

captaink on
    edited July 2010

/shrug

To be honestly I always thought it was a little weird that they randomly gave shamans a crappy version of travel form.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't miss it personally.

captaink on
  • mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

/shrug

To be honestly I always thought it was a little weird that they randomly gave shamans a crappy version of travel form.

** edit for new page**

I'd be completely fine with removing it entirely, or making it a talent only ability for 1 point. As it is now, it's a fairly useless ability talented, and primarily used for 1 or 2 fights at best. Those 2 points can be used better elsewhere.

mturalon on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ghost Wolf isn't even on my Elemental Shaman's action bars anyway.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's only still on mine because I had it before mounts were available. I just haven't removed it yet.

mturalon on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I used it a lot back in the day, especially as an awesome flag runner in WSG. In WotLK, I have rocket boots should I ever need to speed away.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited July 2010
    mturalon wrote: »

/shrug

** edit for new page**

I'd be completely fine with removing it entirely, or making it a talent only ability for 1 point. As it is now, it's a fairly useless ability talented, and primarily used for 1 or 2 fights at best. Those 2 points can be used better elsewhere.

As long as Enhancement keeps it. I remember the days. Trying to catch someone using only Frost Shock, as talented Ghost Wolf brought it down to 1 second cast.

Those were the days.

Automaticzen on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

/shrug

It made a lot more sense as a level 20-40+ class perk back in the Dark Ages before mount levels were lowered. It also made shamans totally overpowered in 20-29 (and even 30-39) Arathi Basin before mounts were first lowered to 30.

forty on