As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So. Mel Gibson didn't have a thread yet. Fixed.

• Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Like I mentioned in my post - it doesn't really matter if these conversations were cobbled together from multiple conversations and stitched together - he said them at some point. That aside, that is some serious rage there in Mel's voice, and he needs help regardless in dealing with it.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think there's an appropriate context for telling someone they're going to be raped by black people.

Henroid on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I don't think there's an appropriate context for telling someone you hope they're going to be raped by black people.

fixed.

but either way works, and should be limed to the nth

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Actually hava I believe that's false, it was more of a "you're gonna go out looking like that and get raped by a pack of black people" than a "I hope you get raped by black people".

Still terrible either way, of course.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    Like I mentioned in my post - it doesn't really matter if these conversations were cobbled together from multiple conversations and stitched together - he said them at some point. That aside, that is some serious rage there in Mel's voice, and he needs help regardless in dealing with it.

Seriously. There is literally no context where some of those phrases should be uttered.

Unless she edited out the part where she said, "Repeat after me the following words in the angriest voice you can muster: If you go out looking like that ..."

I remember people (not necessarily anyone on this board or anything, just dumb people I know in real life) who had similar reactions when Chris Brown attacked Rihanna. "Well you don't know what she did or said to him," they would say. But it doesn't fucking matter because that should never be the reaction to anything.

Lux on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    Well, it isn't just his attorneys that are stating there was tampering and editing.

ABC news discusses.

The only interesting thing in that clip is the claim that he could tell it was two separate audio tracks from the hum fading out. If true, it's quite possible that the "conversation" is manufactured; statements made by Mel were made by him, no excuse, but it calls into question things like admitting to assault. Perhaps, prior to editing, he was saying "you deserved it" to an entirely different statement?

This is what I find interesting about the tapes.

Houn on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really don't we should take anything off the table here.

It's even possible that she wrote the incendiary remarks herself and said something to the effect of, "Now read this loudly and convincingly." She probably threatened to leave him, hurt his child or kill herself if he didn't comply.

It could turn out that Mel didn't have a choice in the matter and willingly sacrificed his whole career and reputation to save his family. That should make him a tragic hero in our eyes, not the bad guy.

Glyph on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glyph wrote: »

It's even possible that she wrote the incendiary remarks herself and said something to the effect of, "Now read this loudly and convincingly." She probably threatened to leave him, hurt his child or kill herself if he didn't comply.

It could turn out that Mel didn't have a choice in the matter and willingly sacrificed his whole career and reputation to save his family. That should make him a tragic hero in our eyes, not the bad guy.

It's also possible that Mel was drugged by space aliens being instructed by Kenyan-born Nazi Communist Obama to make him say those things!

Henroid on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It's also possible that Mel was drugged by space aliens being instructed by Kenyan-born Nazi Communist Obama to make him say those things!

Well I think that's a little far-fetched.

Glyph on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It's true, Obama's too busy bending to the gay agenda's every whim.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    Well, it isn't just his attorneys that are stating there was tampering and editing.

ABC news discusses.

"She was speaking into a large diaphram microphone."

Shes a musician.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

As is everything you said in your post, which I hope for your sake you meant as a joke.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guys, I think we're all missing the obvious explanation here - he was preparing for a role.

Coming summer 2012 - MAD MEL! - Beyond Angrydome

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That article someone listed earlier sad something about a site that's been releasing tapes of a man who sounds exactly like Gibson spewing fake rants so I'm not even sure about that anymore.

In any case this whole thing is just getting incredibly stupid.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not even 99.99999999999999999999999999999% sure it's Mel, I'm a full 100% sure. No offense to anyone but I think it's absurd to question whether or not it's Mel.

Note: Mel's lawyers aren't even suggesting that it isn't Mel on the tape. They are claiming the tapes are edited. If they thought it wasn't Mel, they would have said "that isn't even Mel." They wouldn't say something so passe as "those tapes are edited."

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    I'm not even 99.99999999999999999999999999999% sure it's Mel, I'm a full 100% sure. No offense to anyone but I think it's absurd to question whether or not it's Mel.

Note: Mel's lawyers aren't even suggesting that it isn't Mel on the tape. They are claiming the tapes are edited. If they thought it wasn't Mel, they would have said "that isn't even Mel." They wouldn't say something so passe as "those tapes are edited."

I just thought I'd point out there have been 3rd party sources that imply it's not him even if those sources are shitty gossip sites. (although shitty gossip sites seem to be the primary source of info for this whole thing :P )

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That article someone listed earlier sad something about a site that's been releasing tapes of a man who sounds exactly like Gibson spewing fake rants so I'm not even sure about that anymore.

If that were the case, this shit would be over after Tape 1. People don't get away with impersonating someone. I can't go rob a bank and claim to be Johnny Depp and have the media in uproar for weeks, despite my stunning resemblance.

Lux on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    maybe mel actually said "draped by a pack of tiggers", but the audio was edited by feminine wiles

Nartwak on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think there's an appropriate context for telling someone they're going to be raped by black people.

We're smart people, I'm sure we could come up with one.

shryke on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    shryke wrote: »

We're smart people, I'm sure we could come up with one.

The way Mel Gibson put it there was an assumption that packs of n-words roam the mean streets of Los Angeles raping girls. Henroid's formulation sucks all the meaning out of Mel's tirade.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    and even if they were edited, it isn't likely that context is going to help explain away many of the things he said

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guys you are missing the obvious. These tapes were made by the same guys who are working to get Roger Ebert a text-to-voice program that uses old audio tapes of him talking to imitate his speech.

Obviously this is the only real answer behind this.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can see the potential for a Mel Gibson prank call soundboard out of this whole thing.

EDIT: Well that didn't take the Internet long.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nartwak wrote: »
    maybe mel actually said "draped by a pack of tiggers", but the audio was edited by feminine wiles

But the wonderful thing about tiggers is [Tigger] is the only one.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guys, I think we're all missing the obvious explanation here - he was preparing for a role.

Coming summer 2012 - MAD MEL! - Beyond Angrydome

angrydome.jpg

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lux wrote: »

If that were the case, this shit would be over after Tape 1. People don't get away with impersonating someone. I can't go rob a bank and claim to be Johnny Depp and have the media in uproar for weeks, despite my stunning resemblance.

Bad analogy is bad. It really wouldn't be all that hard to pass off an audio impersonation, especially in a phone call recording. But again, shitty source so definately not something I'd bank on.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can see the potential for a Mel Gibson prank call soundboard out of this whole thing.

EDIT: Well that didn't take the Internet long.
    I still think Kindergarden Cop reigns surpreme in the prank call soundboard verse.

Followed closely by Bolo Santosi.

GungHo on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like how she recorded, what, close to half an hour of Mel's insane screaming/heavy breathing. But the very moment that he actually started getting into more personal attacks that actually bothered her she cut the call off. She's fine recording and leaking 29 minutes and 55 seconds of crazy that makes Mel (completely deservedly) look bad, but after 5 seconds of him talking about what a bad mother she is and how her son's a disaster, "That's it. I've had enough of this. Good bye. *click*" :lol:

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I like how she recorded, what, close to half an hour of Mel's insane screaming/heavy breathing. But the very moment that he actually started getting into more personal attacks that actually bothered her she cut the call off. She's fine recording and leaking 29 minutes and 55 seconds of crazy that makes Mel (completely deservedly) look bad, but after 5 seconds of him talking about what a bad mother she is and how her son's a disaster, "That's it. I've had enough of this. Good bye. *click*" :lol:

Right, because after half an hour of personal attacks from crazypants, she had a moral obligation to sit quietly and listen to him attack her and her son. Who does this uppity bitch think she is, refusing to let him go off on her kid if that's what he wants to do?

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    mythago wrote: »

Right, because after half an hour of personal attacks from crazypants, she had a moral obligation to sit quietly and listen to him attack her and her son. Who does this uppity bitch think she is, refusing to let him go off on her kid if that's what he wants to do?

If it was just about recoding his crazy as evidence that he is in fact crazy, then yes. If it was about recoding as much crazy as you can without having to release anything to the public that actually bothers you, then no.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well she knew she was recording it so she probably didn't want her son being thrashed on tape for fear he might get an opportunity to listen to the tapes one day, LIKE TODAY!

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If it was just about recoding his crazy as evidence that he is in fact crazy, then yes. If it was about recoding as much crazy as you can without having to release anything to the public that actually bothers you, then no.

Uh, because he's less crazy if you include the part where he screams about her and her kid? Seriously, not following here.

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Uh, because he's less crazy if you include the part where he screams about her and her kid? Seriously, not following here.

No. It means that she was fine goading him alone allowing him to hang himself with his batshit insane crazy, but the very second that the tape starts getting into territory that might cast even the tiniest bit of dirt onto her image, that's when she's had enough.

I don't understand why you people are so binary. Why are the ideas that he's a (possibly violent) stark raving mad fucking lunatic and she's a manipulative cunt mutually exclusive?

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't understand why you people are so binary. Why are the ideas that he's a (possibly violent) stark raving mad fucking lunatic and she's a manipulative cunt mutually exclusive?

Because if you express anything besides complete sympathy for the victim and dismissal for the accused, you are a misogynist or a cynic or possibly the devil. One of those three, anyway.

Nucker on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2010
    If that thing on ABC news is accurate, and the admission of him hitting her was an edit on the tape... that invalidates so much of these tapes that I am wondering how much you can actually take at face value or not. Yeah, I know there is no excuse for some of the mean things he said, but if these tapes were doctored to make him say he committed violence on her... that's just stupid. She was in a position of strength on these tapes anyways with everything else he said; trying to bring a possible lie physical violence into the mix?

For her sake I hope the expert was wrong.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nucker wrote: »

Because if you express anything besides complete sympathy for the victim and dismissal for the accused, you are a misogynist or a cynic or possibly the devil. One of those three, anyway.

But it can only be one of those three, because if you hold to opinions simultaneously reality will start to fall apart around us.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Taping and releasing the calls was the best way that Oksana could have protected herself from an abuser.

How is that manipulative, exactly?

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2010
    Taping and releasing the calls was the best way that Oksana could have protected herself from an abuser.

How is that manipulative, exactly?

you've seen the stuff where both parties admitted they have fucked up foreplay that involves verbal abuse, right?

And the thing that ABC just released where experts are finding weird deadspace/pauses in front of the most damning stuff, right?

I am not saying that Mel is innocent; he probably isn't with a mouth like that. But there is reason for doubt. A tabloid website founded by a former Enquirer employee paid $texas for these tapes, and is doling them out slowly to keep his ratings up... and people are finding flaws in the audio. Possibly even finding that later tapes are splices of multiple conversations at different times. That she was using professional audio equipment to record herself. All sorts of weird stuff.

Lets not jump to conclusions, folks.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I don't understand why you people are so easily unbalanced. Why is the idea that Mel Gibson is a stark raving mad fucking bigoted lunatic, period, so upsetting? Why the need to cast around for a yeah, but? Are you a program director for NPR or something? (Because they also seem to have the need, on every issue, to pretend that there are two sides to every story and giving them equal weight. "On the other hand, Dr. Hans Scheisskopf of the Flat Earth Institute disputes the idea that the planet is a globe...")

Is it really so hard to consider that if the tapes are genuine - and there's nothing other than anonymous 'experts' and Gibson's lawyers saying otherwise at this point - it actually doesn't fucking matter whether or not she's a nice person?

And no, I can't imagine why anybody would ever think of you as a misogynist for calling someone a 'manipulative cunt'.

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

And no, I can't imagine why anybody would ever think of you as a misogynist for calling someone a 'manipulative cunt'.

See, CanMan, above where you said "the ideas?" That's where you actually said, "She's a manipulative cunt." That means you're a misogynist--that you were raised by misogynists and that nothing you ever do will be untainted by your hate and disdain for women.

That part where you called Mel Gibson a "(possibly violent) stark raving mad fucking lunatic?" I think that's where you show us that you're also a misandrist. Really, you hate all people. Your opinions, therefore, about anything involving people, should be dismissed out of hand. See?

Nucker on