As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me about old-ass Playstation 1 games!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I still think it's pretty solid. I think the graphics are decent for PS1, and the battle system is still fun.

But that is coming from a guy that uses Forever Zero as an internet handle pretty often.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The flaws aren't too much with the combat system, more the storyline and characters. It leaped headfirst into the trap of having too many characters and not enough personalities, then tried to mask it by giving a bunch of people awful faux accents.

Back in 2000, the combat system (and the fact that, omg it's a continuation of CT) kept it fresh... nowadays I don't think it really has the same appeal.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The flaws aren't too much with the combat system, more the storyline and characters. It leaped headfirst into the trap of having too many characters and not enough personalities, then tried to mask it by giving a bunch of people awful faux accents.

Back in 2000, the combat system (and the fact that, omg it's a continuation of CT) kept it fresh... nowadays I don't think it really has the same appeal.

Now I've never really played a Suikoden game, but don't they have like a hundred characters? I know they can't all have great personalities either, but people never seem to fault Suikoden for it, but always Chrono Cross. I'm genuinely curious, why?

I mean, I don't think you have actually recruit very many characters in Chrono Cross if you don't want to.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Now I've never really played a Suikoden game, but don't they have like a hundred characters? I know they can't all have great personalities either, but people never seem to fault Suikoden for it, but always Chrono Cross. I'm genuinely curious, why?

I mean, I don't think you have actually recruit very many characters in Chrono Cross if you don't want to.
    Actually, the characters in Suikoden do have personalities. Certainly to a higher degree than Chrono Cross. In Suikoden, different characters will say different things; in Chrono Cross different characters said the exact same thing with a different accent.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Better hurry, time hasn't been very kind to it, and it'll only get worse.

The music is still phenomenal, so there's that.

Really? Cuz' I started playing it for the first time a few months ago and it was one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I just wish I didn't have to grind. I avoided battles and missed a few key characters and boss battles so now I have to restart and play the first 20 hours all over again. :(

Stupid RPGs.

rayofash on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But you really can't grind in Chrono Cross, you level up at specific points in the narrative.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I used to live in a house with 5 other people. We had one Playstation, and because we couldn't afford cable, entertainment was boiled down to two choices - whatever we could rent from the nearby American Family Video, or everybody sitting on the couch and watching someone else play a videogame.

We played:

Resident Evil 2
    Tenchu
    Syphon Filter
    Grand Theft Auto
    Twisted Metal 2
    Metal Gear Solid

Strangely, the middle 4 got the most love. Considering the legacy of the first and the last, you'd think we'd have been all about those. But they were played, beaten quickly, and then left alone. Tenchu and Syphon Filter got the most replay at our house. It seems strange to me now that of the three, it was Metal Gear Solid that became this juggernaut of gaming, because at the time, everyone I hung out with was way more enthralled with the gameplay of Tenchu and Syphon Filter.

I can say that Tenchu's atmosphere is only improved by it's being played by the warm glow of a space heater at 11am while 3 people on a day-bed shout backseat instructions at you.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tenchu would definitely make a better spectator game than MGS, so that makes sense to me.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    eternalbl wrote: »
    But you really can't grind in Chrono Cross, you level up at specific points in the narrative.

This is one reason it's amazing

Also because after every battle they're like "Hey, wanna heal?"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, maybe if you had people who had no clue what was going on in the storyline. Like...most people. The remake with the ludicrous cutscenes would help, too.

The only games I remember everyone crowding around to watch and wait their turn were fighters (Rival Schools...and Zero Divide, if we want to go all the way back to launch, although I bought that game myself a few years back), Bust-A-Groove and Skydiving Extreme.

Wait, I need to talk about Zero Divide more. You could make robots/programs shaped like ninjas, commandos, dinosaurs and scorpion monsters fight. The main character could do a moonsault. Game was fucking amazing at the time.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I typically love Capcom fighters, so I was kinda bummed out when I eBayed Rival Schools and seriously could not see what all the hype was about

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It probably doesn't hold up very well, unless you remember how mind-blowing it was at the time. It also helps if you were big into the anime of the time.

Project Justice, though...there's no way that isn't still fun. Much easier to recommend.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MCpiddyMCpiddy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i didnt even know there was a sequel to rival schools until a few months ago, i may have to get a copy at some point, unfortunatly i never got any alternative pad/fightstick for my dreamcast and that default controller was designed by satan himself to turn your hands into some kind of paste

MCpiddy on
  • Options
    12GaugeRage12GaugeRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vigilante 8 and Second Offense. Pure excellence.

12GaugeRage on
    N10sityN10citys.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I never had any problem with the DC controller. Maybe a little too much space at the bottom, but it always worked for me. And if we're including the VMU, it rockets to the top of the list. Best gimmick ever, easily.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh man vigilante 8! How did i forgot that one? Ski slope was the shit.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    UFOffUFOff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    R 4

UFOff on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...yeah
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was super happy to find out that Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean 2 were ported to the PSP. Bought both those guys.

Which is nice because VP goes for like over 100 dollars, should've kept my old PS1 games. Geez.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

Actually, the characters in Suikoden do have personalities. Certainly to a higher degree than Chrono Cross. In Suikoden, different characters will say different things; in Chrono Cross different characters said the exact same thing with a different accent.

Not only that, there's always at least 25 characters in each Suikoden game that's directly involved in the plot, as opposed to being just there for the sake of recruitment.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Has anyone said Tomba?

Tomba.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Syphon Filter

I enjoyed the Syphon Filter series more than I enjoyed the Splinter Cell series.

There.

I said it.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I forgot to mention Vigilante 8. Yeah, that was good. Better than twisted metal, if only due to the physics of it. Seconded on Ski Slope, but Hoover Damn was sexcellent, too. Had a great, if frustrating, time with Tenchu. I remember just going straight up to every enemy in the final level and just dueling my way to the finish. That shit was rough.

Star Ocean, despite the horrendous voice acting, was pretty decent. But, damn, was it long. I remember it took me about 300 hours total time or so to work up to beating the hidden dungeon in the artificial/matrix version of the first world. No level cap that I could tell, since I got to about level 365. That final hidden boss was just fucking ridiculous--he'd jet all over the screen way faster than you could run and just constantly used group attack magics that fucked your entire party. Don't know how I beat him. The sad thing is, there was an even harder secret boss if you took the instrument you got from that one and played it at a certain time and place, or something. Couldn't work up the will to care after I beat the first guy.

Chrono Cross, though--man. I tried to play that game, but the whole time I kept thinking it would be a much better system if they just mirrored Xenogears, since it worked nearly the same anyway. It's much more convenient to just have different levels of attack bound to different buttons, so you're not having to refer to the menu, thus taking your eyes away from the really awesome combat. That issue is what prevented me from getting past the first time you switch bodies. Which is a shame, because I liked the cut of it's jib.

PSX games I never played but everyone tells me I should have: Legend of Legaia, Shadowhearts, Tomba (I think I played the demo?), Persona, Tales of Resonance, Threads of Fate, Vandal Hearts, SaGa Frontier I (played the second one), Syphon Filter, Ogre Battle:Tactics, Wild Arms, Suikoden, and Valkyrie Profile.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mostly this thread is making me lament the fact that 90% of these games have aged like shit and I can't enjoy them anymore.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't doubt that but the Tenchu games on PSone are far more fun, even today, than the modern day versions. Shit, the PSP version has a draw distance of a few feet.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Team_Buddies

The demo of this came with multiplayer and was so damn fun. Hope PSP gets this because the multiplayer was awesome.

Basic rundown, you have bean buddies and crates that drop from the sky. Crates are a resource, break them open and you get health and ammo. Take them to a pad and how you stack them before you break them determines what you get.
    1x Crate Single Lite Weapons
    2x Crates Flat Grenades
    4x Crates Flat Heavy Weapons
    2x Crates Vertical Buddies
    4x Crates Vertical Different Buddies
    8x Crates Square Vehicles

tribute video Its simple and fun multiplayer base building and I miss it!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PSX games I never played but everyone tells me I should have: Legend of Legaia, Shadowhearts, Tomba (I think I played the demo?), Persona, Tales of Resonance, Threads of Fate, Vandal Hearts, SaGa Frontier I (played the second one), Syphon Filter, Ogre Battle:Tactics, Wild Arms, Suikoden, and Valkyrie Profile.

Shadow Hearts is a PS2 game.

EDIT - Oh man my friend and I used to play Team Buddies all the time back in the day, it was pretty fun.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

EDIT - Oh man my friend and I used to play Team Buddies all the time back in the day, it was pretty fun.

You sure as hell can't tell by looking at it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Shadow Hearts series, but the graphics for SH1 were nearly unforgivable.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Oh, well damn. I probably got confused because someone mentioned Koudelka and then I read that it was a prequel to Shadow Hearts. Whelp! Time to hit the ol' dusty trail....... found the fire door.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Syphon Filter

I enjoyed the Syphon Filter series more than I enjoyed the Splinter Cell series.

There.

I said it.

Can you set someone on fire from over tasering them in Splinter Cell? No? Case closed.

Do you know there's a secret objective to complete the opening sniper mission in SF3 (I think) using the tazer rather than the sniper rifle? Madness.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Team_Buddies

The demo of this came with multiplayer and was so damn fun. Hope PSP gets this because the multiplayer was awesome.

It is apparently up their as one of the most collectible games on the US Playstation.

Expect an NTSC copy to go for over $100.

The situation is a lot saner in Europe.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You level every time you defeat a boss, but after every boss battle you can level once more by fighting normal creatures. You level up once by fighting a boss, then again by fighting normal creatures. I didn't do this, I just fought the bosses. As a result my characters have less HP and stats then they should. I also forgot to get certain elements, equipment, and characters, and lost the opportunity to get them by going to far into the game.

rayofash on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Syphon Filter

There.

I said it.

Can you set someone on fire from over tasering them in Splinter Cell? No? Case closed.

Do you know there's a secret objective to complete the opening sniper mission in SF3 (I think) using the tazer rather than the sniper rifle? Madness.

Oh god, I'd forgotten about the tazer. That was incredible.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Someone needs to get a master list in the op. Didn't the forums have a bunch of lists before?

It would be neat if we had some "relevant games" lists for all old systems.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    rayofash wrote: »

You level every time you defeat a boss, but after every boss battle you can level once more by fighting normal creatures. You level up once by fighting a boss, then again by fighting normal creatures. I didn't do this, I just fought the bosses. As a result my characters have less HP and stats then they should. I also forgot to get certain elements, equipment, and characters, and lost the opportunity to get them by going to far into the game.

I was not aware of that.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks to this thread, I just uploaded all my save files to my PS3 so I can start playing Legend of Dragoon again.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Legend of Dragoon is awesome. Haters gonna hate.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HARPOOON

That game looked so awful.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The graphics do look like ass now, especially on my nice new TV. And now that I'm looking for it, I can certainly see where the translation suffers. But, the voices are just as hilarious.

HARPOON!

I just unlocked MADNESS....HERO! last night. I still have no clue what the real name for Fury/Flurry/Ferry of Styx is. One menu says Fury, in battle it says Ferry, and he actually yells out Flurry.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    The graphics do look like ass now, especially on my nice new TV. And now that I'm looking for it, I can certainly see where the translation suffers. But, the voices are just as hilarious.

HARPOON!

I just unlocked MADNESS....HERO! last night. I still have no clue what the real name for Fury/Flurry/Ferry of Styx is. One menu says Fury, in battle it says Ferry, and he actually yells out Flurry.

Obviously it's Flurry, since that's what he yells all full of BURNING SPIRIT.

Also Kongol is such a boss.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread, I just uploaded all my save files to my PS3 so I can start playing Legend of Dragoon again.

YESSSS i posted that original pic for this reasonnnn

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.