As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Samurai On] Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes - Put your F-ing guns on tomorrow!

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    man i never understood these games

every time i see someone playing, it's this crazy godlike warrior beating the shit out of a bunch of mooks on the battlefield who never even touch him

are there tougher enemies or bosses or do you get overwhelmed by large numbers? do you control your forces or something? what is going on here? is the challenge being stylistic or getting a better time to beat the level or successfully winning the battle or what?

i am so curious.

Basically, nameless mooks in the early stages are fairly abuse ready. However, on harder difficulties you have to work for your combos and be ready to dodge at a moments notice in order to win. You don't want to take on those levels until you are sufficiently leveled and have some great gear though.

Any unique officer will likely wreck your shit if you think you can just normal chain your way to victory. You need to have a solid knowledge of the mechanics for Hyper officers if you want to succeed. You can't just take the fight to them, you have to play defensively sometimes and utilize gaps in their attack strings.

You only really have two ways to get out of an opponents attack string and both of them require a charge, so they aren't super reliable. That means you have to play smart or else you eat dirt and start the level over.

The two ways I'm talking about are Basara Drive (at least in SB2 you could "burst" out of an attack string) and your Basara attack (your super move will make you invincible). Barring these, you're forced to eat damage if you get caught in an attack string. Hold that guard button and hope there's a gap...

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    I just realized that Sengoku Basara Season 1 is on Hulu.

You have no excuses for not getting your guns on now!

Get puuuuuuuumped!

blaze_zero on
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    man i never understood these games

every time i see someone playing, it's this crazy godlike warrior beating the shit out of a bunch of mooks on the battlefield

I don't know about others but this sounds like you understand why I play this game :)

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ahhhhh, it's been a while since I played a game that exaggerates Japanese history, lol. Seriously though, when was the last SB released in the U.S.? Wasn't it Devil Kings?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    I just realized that Sengoku Basara Season 1 is on Hulu.

You have no excuses for not getting your guns on now!

Get puuuuuuuumped!

Thank you for this knowledge.

I just got my guns on.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited July 2010
    Ahhhhh, it's been a while since I played a game that exaggerates Japanese history, lol. Seriously though, when was the last SB released in the U.S.? Wasn't it Devil Kings?

The first season of the anime is on Hulu. Other than that, the only thing to make it over was Devil Kings.

You see?

blaze_zero on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Argh... the spike in difficulty is so insane between normal and hard. Thankfully, I got better on normal.

Landing two or three insane combos is barely enough to kill a single infantry trooper. That's after they've been primed. They can also three shot me.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Argh... the spike in difficulty is so insane between normal and hard. Thankfully, I got better on normal.

Landing two or three insane combos is barely enough to kill a single infantry trooper. That's after they've been primed. They can also three shot me.

Sounds like Devil May Cry on Dante Must Die

CAPCOM's Action Games on Higher Difficulties: At this point it's mostly just torture (TM)

Kazaka on
    edited July 2010
    Edited the OP to include some new information I gathered from new ads.

Game is out in Japan very soon!

blaze_zero on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The first season of the anime is on Hulu. Other than that, the only thing to make it over was Devil Kings.

You see?

It's not the same if I'm not PLAYING as Masamune though... but the anime is fairly good, though.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited July 2010
    If you have a PSP, you can import Sengoku Basara Battle Heroes. Don't know if it's any good though.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    HEY KAESIUS, PUT THAT PRE-ORDER BACK UP!

ODA NOBUNAGA AS PLAYABLE CHARACTER IN SB3*.

Seems he's back from the dead (he is the fucking demon king after all) and looking to stomp ass. He's probably going to be the last playable character added, although that only brings us to 16.

Also announced, Europe will be getting it Oct. 16th.

*Not 100% confirmed. The official Korean site leaked it, but it's been taken down.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    who is the guy with chainsws in this ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnPbNhHhJ74&feature=related

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    edited July 2010
    That's Tachibana Muneshige. He's a new NPC character. In this game he follows around that Xabi-ism guy. Forgot his name already, but the one with the hat.

In Samurai Warriors 3, he's a new playable character and husband of Tachibana Ginchiyo.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    Yeeeeeeah

The Best BGM from the anime, easily.

Also, I'm about 80% sure I'm going to import this at the end of the month, funds allowing that is.

blaze_zero on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's Tachibana Muneshige. He's a new NPC character. In this game he follows around that Xabi-ism guy. Forgot his name already, but the one with the hat.

In Samurai Warriors 3, he's a new playable character and husband of Tachibana Ginchiyo.

There's a Samurai Warriors 3? Not having to do with the Dynasty Warrior mashups at all?

It's not for the PSP or anything is it?

Kazaka on
    edited July 2010
    No, but it's only for the Wii. It will be out in the states in September I believe. It's already out everywhere else.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    So yeah, new Famitsu or Jump leak has Nobunaga as the last playable character. Pretty much confirmed now.

blaze_zero on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    16 seems like such a small amount of playable characters. So like, how many storylines do you play through? Does each character have a unique one?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited July 2010
    So what weapon does nobunaga use?

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    edited July 2010
    16 seems like such a small amount of playable characters. So like, how many storylines do you play through? Does each character have a unique one?

Yeah, as far as we know, every character gets their own storyline. There are a couple of other modes (I think) but in reality, 16 is about the right number. Honestly, for these games, I think about 20 is the right number, since that's usually how much I want to play.
    In DW and SW, I'll end up playing everyone, but there are a ton I don't like, so I hope it kind of removes that feeling.
    So what weapon does nobunaga use?

I don't know yet. He could get a new one; I think it depends on how ambitious Capcom was with making another new moveset.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    it looks like oda has a sword and a gun that shoots a ginormous ball? i love fuma's voice clip thats just wind

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    edited July 2010
    He's probably still got his old weapons, sword and shotgun. His skills are probably powered up immensely though.

blaze_zero on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zabii, aka Q-Ball is one of my favorite characters. It's impossible to play a few levels with him and not lol at least once.

"Feel-a my LOVE! Or feel-a my WRATH!"

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited July 2010
    Q Q Q Ball, rollin' through~

or whatever that line is.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    Mori Motonari

Otani Yoshitsugu

New vids from Comic-con featuring the english cast.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    Welp, I ordered my copy off of Play-Asia. It's supposed to ship in the next few days. Yay!

blaze_zero on
    edited August 2010
    Are you ready guys?

I got my copy off FINALLY.

There's a new trailer of the game up, but it doesn't really show you much we don't already know.

Can't seem to find it right now though.

blaze_zero on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HEY KAESIUS, PUT THAT PRE-ORDER BACK UP!

ODA NOBUNAGA AS PLAYABLE CHARACTER IN SB3*.

Seems he's back from the dead (he is the fucking demon king after all) and looking to stomp ass. He's probably going to be the last playable character added, although that only brings us to 16.

Also announced, Europe will be getting it Oct. 16th.

*Not 100% confirmed. The official Korean site leaked it, but it's been taken down.

Don't worry, I never cancelled it :wink:

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited September 2010
    HAVE A PARTY GUYS!

The demo for the US version of Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes is out on the PSN!

It's got two characters playable, Mitsunari Ishida and Tokugawa Ieyasu.

I haven't gotten it yet (I've had the full game for a couple weeks now) but I'll get it tonight and check it out.

You see?

blaze_zero on
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gJQ1dOTGkc

gonna render + upload the other mission by itself, hopefully full length

Kaseius on
    edited September 2010
    How do I play the Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes Demo?

A good question. You have two choices for characters, so I'll detail them both. You only get 3 skills, though. Normally you can have 5.

By the way, all characters have different and unique playstyles!

Ieyasu Tokugawa

All characters have about an 8 string normal moveset (square). Ieyasu, though, can charge each of his moves though. Charging his punches deals more damage and does faster guard break. You should pretty much charge every punch you can. Don't worry, if you time it right (The flash and sound) you will not break your combo.

Ieyasu also has a running attack and it immediately goes into the fourth hit of his normal string.

Ieyasu has access to three of his skills. A charge punch, a gut punch and follow up, and his ground quake move.

You can charge the Triangle punch while doing other things, like running and attacking. Know that you cannot combo after it unless you cancel with Basara! Dash and dodge canceling don't work.

The gut punch is Direction+Triangle. However, how long you hold triangle will affect how far Ieyasu dashes for the punch. You can go a decent distance by holding it in all the way. To follow up, you can hit square after the gut punch. The gut punch will stun the enemy for a second or two. Possible to combo after.

His third skill is R1. You can charge this attack to another level, but you cannot combo into it then. It's best used to end your normal string early. Best to use after his fifth or sixth hit of his normal string to catch a falling opponent. Possible to combo after.

Mitsunari Ishida

Mitsunari is different, but really good. His normal string can be difficult until you get the hang of it. Timing is key here. Time your button presses with the time he sheathes his sword. You can get more hits this way. You'll know you did it wrong if his normal string seems rather short.

His Triangle is a sweep kick upwards. It will launch opponents for juggling. However, HOLD Triangle to teleport up to your opponents and you can send them flying with an air combo (square x3, triangle).

His Direction+Triangle is difficult to use. He basically rushes forward and does a slash. However, you can pretty much cancel the dash at anytime with a normal move. This makes a good buffer move to get to another person and continue your combo.

His R1 is really good. It sets of a series of super fast slashes that suck people in. This can be charged up for a few more hits. The best part of this move, though, is that you can use it at the end of any of his other attacks. For the most part, if you time R1 correctly, you can buffer this skill in for free after pretty much any of his other moves. ABUSE IT.

Please help me, I'm dying!

Here's some pointers to keep in mind.

-Guard! You can block a certain amount of attacks before your guard is broken. However, most enemies will use their normal string first and end with a skill. There are gaps in normal strings where you can DODGE out of the way. L1+Direction will save your life! USE IT.

-Parry! Parrying can be tough at first, but as you learn enemies attacks, it's easy! Just hit L1 the second before they hit you and you will perform an attack shattering parry. Parries to damage! Also, they leave the enemy staggering for several seconds. Get a combo in!

-Life! You can find health drops in red boxes! Also, every 50 kills nets you a small life recovery item!

-Take Bases! Enemy generals are stronger when they still have bases left. When you encounter a general, you can see a few stars above their life bar. These represent bases and their relative strength for this stage, so take those bases! Bases also provide quick power-ups to health, attack, or defense for about 15 seconds after you take one.

-Save Hero Time (Boost) and Basara! If you know you're going to fight a general, save them! You can use both of them to interrupt an enemy's attack! If you know they're going to hit you, use them and save some life!

-Hero Time recovers! Hero Time is gained for every 125 kills or so. However, when activated, you can recover time by killing enemies! About every five or so is worth one second, so get to slaughtering!

-Dash! Double tap forward to dash right away instead of waiting for him to do it himself. Dashes can be used to cancel some attacks recovery time! Guard-Dodging can be used sometimes too!

-Clash! When you and opponent trade blows three times in a row and clash, you'll have to outmash the computer in hitting square. Doing so will hit the computer for some damage and then stun them for several seconds. HIT THEM A LOT NOW.

And if you want to know, Ieyasu can infinite people. Here's how:

Start your normal string, but charge all your punches for the most damage.

After Ieyasu jumps into the air with an uppercut, land and start charging R1.

When they hit the ground, let go and send them flying. Use Direction+Triangle to follow them and gut punch them. Follow up with a charged Follow up attack to send them into the air.

Repeat.

blaze_zero on
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJRQZKo7k0s

and the other mission.

Might try and kill Honda when I get bored; I got him down about 1/3rd when I first tried it. Maybe it was 1/4th.. he hurt.

Kaseius on
    edited September 2010
    Kaseius. There's a secret path in Tokugawa's level. It's right after the gate to the left when Honda starts raining down lightning.

Also, read my post above for some more info on controls and stuff.

Oh right, you can taunt by hitting Select. Taunting near enemies restores Basara. Also, taunting with Ieyasu puts up his hood, decreasing the charge time needed on his skills while it's up.

blaze_zero on
    edited September 2010
    Kaseius. There's a secret path in Tokugawa's level. It's right after the gate to the left when Honda starts raining down lightning.

Also, read my post above for some more info on controls and stuff.

Oh right, you can taunt by hitting Select. Taunting near enemies restores Basara. Also, taunting with Ieyasu puts up his hood, decreasing the charge time needed on his skills while it's up.

Awesome, I didn't know that. Good to know.

Kaseius on
    edited September 2010
    Oh, another thing.

Enemy generals can only use their Basara ONCE.

Parry it and you don't have to worry about them springing anything on you.

blaze_zero on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's pretty awesome that this is $40 on both PS3 and Wii.

Renzo on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah...played the demo. Definitely going to preorder this game immediately. It helps that I love monk type characters, and the main guy is bare fisted.

Also, it's got JYB as the hotblooded young guy yet again. Required. Makes everything feel so familiar.

I need to sit down and figure out the Sengoku period so I know what the heck is going on somewhat. Same problem I have with Dynasty Warriors...love the system, but I have no connection to the characters. Unlike my friend who frequently rereads his massive copy of Three Kingdoms.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited September 2010
    If you got questions, I got answers.

blaze_zero on