As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A funny [chat] happened on the way to the forum

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    isn't thom's issue with his father in-law a class thing?

Every issue is a class thing. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.

yeah I don't think this is true at all, dude

I was being facetious.

Silas Brown on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    Man, I think the non-stick coating on this pan has finally gone completely to shit.

But I don't want to buy a new frying pan :(

Non-stick pans are for chumps anyway :P

Inquisitor on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what's all this about hipster milk?

Tav on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Basically, I look at life, and then I become that kid in the car from that picture Thoma was posting last night.

Thoma, could you illustrate please?

vlcsnap2010071820h50m46.png
    the maddeningly mushy romance??

I love that part. I really do.

Thomamelas on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So apparently Leigh's mother found me charming. Her father still loathes me.

Why does he hate you? Is it because you're older? Is it the bisexuality?

It's for a number of reasons, there is a class difference between us, the age difference, the fact that I'm a Yankee, that I was raised Catholic, the fact I'm a registered Democrat and a number of other things. I don't think he's aware of my bisexuality but I'm sure that would annoy him as well. But I suspect the thing that really grinds his gears is that I'm a better shot then him.

Wait, when did you get a chance to demonstrate this? Is taking your daughter's boyfriend shooting a thing down there?

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright, I guess it's not a bad decision (or as bad a decision) as I thought. Thanks for telling me, since I might've embarrassed myself otherwise by speaking out of turn.

Robos A Go Go on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i kinda thought that the horrible diseases one might contract from unpasteurized milk were largely a product of the unfortunate living conditions of dairy cows.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited July 2010
    Thank you, Thoma.

Silas Brown on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think Helena Bonham Carter should direct a weird surreal movie starring Tim Burton and Johnny Depp as his freaky love interest.

Should shake things up a little.

I want to report this for awesome, but then people will be mean at you.

Captain Carrot on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So apparently Leigh's mother found me charming. Her father still loathes me.

Why does he hate you? Is it because you're older? Is it the bisexuality?

It's for a number of reasons, there is a class difference between us, the age difference, the fact that I'm a Yankee, that I was raised Catholic, the fact I'm a registered Democrat and a number of other things. I don't think he's aware of my bisexuality but I'm sure that would annoy him as well. But I suspect the thing that really grinds his gears is that I'm a better shot then him.

Wait, when did you get a chance to demonstrate this? Is taking your daughter's boyfriend shooting a thing down there?

It is if the dad is considering the wisdom of a "hunting accident."

Robos A Go Go on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Culinary School is great if you want to learn how to cook food, but it teaches you absolutely nothing about actually working in a restaurant... and generally Culinary School grads are looked down upon by people who've actually put in the sweat it takes to get their position in a kitchen.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    i kinda thought that the horrible diseases one might contract from unpasteurized milk were largely a product of the unfortunate living conditions of dairy cows.

it's not like they were feeding them tons of hormones and antibiotics in the 1860s

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have called in sick today!

skippydumptruck on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    "Sir, we've got a problem. It seems a fair number of our consumers are becoming more educated that 90% of the food we stuff down their gullets is processed corn-fed shit stuffed with preservatives and antibiotics. They're starting to take this whole food thing locally and cutting us out."

"Not a problem at all. We'll just start having the authorities intimidate anyone who dares try."

it's against the law to sell unpasteurized milk in a lot of places. if the woman boiled the goat milk and followed health codes, she wouldn't get hassled

the right thing to do is to petition to get the laws changed, not to just continue trying to weasel around the law and then squawk when you get busted. it's not like high ideals and sympathetic motivations give you a get out of jail free card.

but i want my raw milk now. also, dairy lobbies are p big.

then find some hippies willing to break the law and listen to them bitch when they get busted every month

i mean

it's not the dairy farms that are pushing the pasteurization laws. they'd just as soon have lax health standards. it's public health departments.

people get sick off of raw milk pretty often. there's a reason for the laws. now, i'd be fine with exceptions that let adults sign disclaimers or whatever, but the right way to do it is to change the laws.

i know that raw milk is available at farms in Mass. I'm not sure if they're doing some sort of "give the milk away free and oh look here is a donation basket" or if there's an explicit legal exemption for farm sales of immediately sourced product.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

pasteurization is invented long before the factory farm

nexuscrawler on
    edited July 2010

it's not like they were feeding them tons of hormones and antibiotics in the 1860s

too obvious.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

yeah, the father in law is a hunter, and thom is a rogue

Arch on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, I have little sympathy for people getting busted for selling unsafe food products.

Listen guys, I know it's really fun to frame the story like that, but I'd appreciate it if you'd stop unless you can point to an incident where the people in the story I linked have been charged with a crime instead of just having their stuff stolen "as evidence".

Now, I could be wrong. Maybe they were charged with a crime and the article, which obviously has a bias of its own, left that out on purpose. But I sure as hell can't find any info on that.

So will you please stop saying they were "busted", instead of being the victims of state-sponsored-theft?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A friend of mine is applying to Le Cordon Bleu culinary school for a year to get a diploma in cooking pastries, and I'm worried it's a bad financial decision that won't pay off. It's not my place to tell her though, right?

On the bright side, her reasonably well-off boyfriend will help her with the loan, so it's possible she won't take too much of a financial hit. Not that being financially dependent on your significant other is great either.
    A degree is just a foot in the door. It doesn't guarantee employment, and as you said, is horribly expensive for what it offers. Kendall College here in Chicago has a 4 year culinary program, $30k a year. Meaning you graduate with lawyer-level debt but you're going into a job that makes you $40k a year.

If she wants to bake, tell her to apply to every bakery she can find. Tell her to be tenacious about it. One of the guys we hired recently we hired because he showed up at the back door. Another guy was friends with one of our bakers, said "huh, I can learn to do that" and now he makes all our croissants.

Also, fitting in with the group matters almost as much as ability.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited July 2010
    Oh Carl Clover.

I will master you yet you cheeky bastard.

Inquisitor on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    You should try and find ways of intimidating him, Thom. Casually picking up very heavy objects and tossing them to him while smiling and saying 'catch', then acting all concerned when they flatten him. That kind of thing.

Bogart on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Also if the living conditions of dairy cows can exacerbate the prevalence of such diseases, it doesn't mean that that's the only situation under which they can possibly have them.

electricitylikesme on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, I have little sympathy for people getting busted for selling unsafe food products.

Listen guys, I know it's really fun to frame the story like that, but I'd appreciate it if you'd stop unless you can point to an incident where the people in the story I linked have been charged with a crime instead of just having their stuff stolen "as evidence".

Now, I could be wrong. Maybe they were charged with a crime and the article, which obviously has a bias of its own, left that out on purpose. But I sure as hell can't find any info on that.

So will you please stop saying they were "busted", instead of being the victims of state-sponsored-theft?
    They were busted. They were conducting a business that wasn't legal. This is kind of the definition of a "crime".

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited July 2010
    125533494648089.jpeg

Tav on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, fuck the Rawsome people. I'm discussing the Palmer family the article opens with.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited July 2010
    I have called in sick today!

I should have done this.

Silas Brown on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    You should try and find ways of intimidating him, Thom. Casually picking up very heavy objects and tossing them to him while smiling and saying 'catch', then acting all concerned when they flatten him. That kind of thing.

OH LOOK AN ALLIGATOR!

*wrestles*

skippydumptruck on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    btw guys, Alphamonkey is doing an "Ask Me Anything" over at reddit.
    The software that powers the website is the "Webcomic Archive and News Generator" (WANG)

Echo on
    edited July 2010

Also if the living conditions of dairy cows can exacerbate the prevalence of such diseases, it doesn't mean that that's the only situation under which they can possibly have them.

clearly. but you guys are seriously overstating the risk of disease if someone buys raw milk from a hygienic local farmer.

which is cool. you guys are a pretty risk averse crew.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited July 2010
    Ugh, I forgot how boring the start of ME was.

The Citadel sucks.

Inquisitor on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    necro-reply:
    I like Nolan's movies a lot but I'm skeptical that there's much more territory to be mined with his self-serious approach. Shackling superhero stories to a narrow vision of "plausibility" really limits the kinds of stories you can tell and keeps the genre from working on the mythical, poetic levels it's most effective at.

It's really the only way to do a batman movie though.

Or maybe any of it. The only way the mythical superhero stories really work is when the superhero himself is not the main character

Have you seen Justice League Unlimited? Those guys figured out how to do this a long time ago, to the point that they largely ended up surpassing the comics.

i haven't seen it.

i guess it strikes me as hard to really frame a legitimate threat as well as have real human concerns in a mythic-level sort of scenario. it's why superman stories are kinda boring and why Marvel's formula of a soap opera with super powers kind of falls apart once the characters get beyond a certain power level.

watchmen had a pretty insightful take on it i thought.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    the citadel is better than you, Inq.

Nerdgasmic on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wally read the debate page on wiki. Basically it comes down that it is from conditions for some diseases but a lot of the diseases are just commonly carried by the animals who we get milk from. About the only way you will be able to lower you chances of getting sick is by milking your own cows in a barn and environment you take care of yourself.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited July 2010

clearly. but you guys are seriously overstating the risk of disease if someone buys raw milk from a hygienic local farmer.

which is cool. you guys are a pretty risk averse crew.
    It's fine on a small scale. A guy with a couple cows who sells a few gallons a week. But the larger the scale gets, the harder it is to maintain quality.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Part of it is. I'm lower middle class. Leigh's family is upper class and there is a conflict there.

You didn't get to hear this story? So a while back, Leigh's dad came to Houston for business. And he wanted to meet me. So this was arranged. And he's pretty old school, and I think he was assuming I was Leigh's age rather then my real age. This lead to him trying to do the whole "intimidate the hell out of the boyfriend" thing. He did this by arranging to meet me at a local gun range where he rented a Desert Eagle chambered for .50AE. Now this gun has a reputation, and it's reputation is that it's owners are morons and Counterstrike players. So we did some shooting. Now I'm a target shooter. It's how I relax, is making sure I put every shot where I want it to be. He wanted to scare me with the big loud gun. Which didn't work so well when most of his shots weren't hitting the target and I had a nice grouping.

Thomamelas on
    edited July 2010
    1275509823913015.jpeg

Tav on
    edited July 2010
    the citadel is better than you, Inq.

Nothing is better than me.

Inquisitor on
    edited July 2010
    Basically, I look at life, and then I become that kid in the car from that picture Thoma was posting last night.

nice jacket gaywad

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited July 2010
    Thoma's dick is bigger than his girlfriend's dad's dick.

Silas Brown on
    edited July 2010
    Maybe if you were coming to PAX, Will, you could show me a better jacket!

Silas Brown on
This discussion has been closed.