As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wetshaving and safety razors

VistiVisti Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, I just recently noticed that I had started shaving less and less, not because I wanted a beard, but because my blades were stupid expensive and it was painful to go down to the store to pick up a five-pack for what could buy me great food for three days. Then I checked around and saw the prizes of single blades and was sold immediately. I just got my Merkur safety razor in today, along with 10 blades for around 2 dollars and some shaving soap (I already had a badger hair brush) and just.. wow.

Besides feeling super manly shaving with this pure steel contraption, it was about the closest shave I've ever had. I cannot believe I've been throwing money out of the window like this. The pure steel razor itself looks like it's built to last a lifetime (not to mention you can still buy and use vintage ones from the 50s) and even THAT cost about what I paid for a five-pack of multi-bladed fusion bullshit. If you use these, I strongly urge you to at least look into these, because this is just great.

Anyway, enough ranting. Do you use a safety razor or even a straight razor? Are there any particular brands you like better in razors or blades or whatever. In short, discuss!

Here's the one I bought. It looks very classy, but I should probably get some sort of container for it or something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sjsFyYElvE

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Visti on

• geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Love my safety razor.

Modern razors are the biggest marketing success ever. They are so so bad compared to safety razors, and cost so much more.

geckahn on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's a Russian joke involving multi-bladed razors whose punchline goes
    "...while the 26th blade lovingly caresses the jawbone."

So where can one find these safety razors? I haven't seen these at local big name drug/food stores. Do I need to go some place smaller or a vintage (goodwill/thrift) store?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    There's a Russian joke involving multi-bladed razors whose punchline goes
    "...while the 26th blade lovingly caresses the jawbone."

So where can one find these safety razors? I haven't seen these at local big name drug/food stores. Do I need to go some place smaller or a vintage (goodwill/thrift) store?

amazon.com

I use a Parker razor. Shark blades, they came with the razor, are super cheap, and work totally fine.

geckahn on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is there anything more... offline that you know of?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do they just tend to work best when used daily, but not so great when used sporadically? I tend to shave every 2-3 days and the two weeks I put into testing out a safety razor were anything but 'fast' or 'closely shaved'. Had to pull that fucker half a dozen times just to get what my overpriced Mach 3 does in one pull.

[edit] The fact that it only seemed to work at a very specific angle didn't help. 2 minutes after I wake up I don't have the focus to perform feats of precision on the surface of my face.

Glal on
    edited July 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Do they just tend to work best when used daily, but not so great when used sporadically? I tend to shave every 2-3 days and the two weeks I put into testing out a safety razor were anything but 'fast' or 'closely shaved'. Had to pull that fucker half a dozen times just to get what my overpriced Mach 3 does in one pull.

I usually shave like 3 times a week. Sometimes only 2 or 1 times. So they work fine sporadically, but when first starting out I would probably do it every day for a couple weeks to get your skin used to it and, more importantly, to get yourself alot of practice. It's not idiot proof, it takes some skill to do it right.

and yes, you need to do it at about a 45 degree angle. If you can't do this after waking up and taking a shower then you're pretty hopeless.

geckahn on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    The overpriced razors today are what made it all the easier to decide to grow a beard.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    geckahn wrote: »
    If you can't do this after waking up and taking a shower then you're pretty hopeless.
    Why you gotta kick a man when he's down? :(

Glal on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Badger and Blade is a good forum for info on wetshaving and safety razors.

This guy on Youtube has a ton of videos to cover this topic, for anyone interested in learning more.

How To Shave With A Single-Blade Razor

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just use an Electric because I'm monstrously lazy. Although one day I will buy a Gillette Mach 12 with 12232132 razors just to see if it really makes my face go at the speed of sound.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glal wrote: »

I usually shave like 3 times a week. Sometimes only 2 or 1 times. So they work fine sporadically, but when first starting out I would probably do it every day for a couple weeks to get your skin used to it and, more importantly, to get yourself alot of practice. It's not idiot proof, it takes some skill to do it right.

and yes, you need to do it at about a 45 degree angle. If you can't do this after waking up and taking a shower then you're pretty hopeless.

I was kind of nervous. As I mentioned, I just received mine today, but really, the angle wasn't that bad at all. I had looked up some stuff on youtube (in particular a guy named mantic59 with a ton of videos about this subject), so I was pretty well prepared. Then I realized that with the razor I have, a wrong angle doesn't do anything and the right angle is pretty lenient. The only mistake I made was going over the same spot too much in one particular rough patch, but I got more razorburn using my multibladed one, for sure and with nowhere near the same result.

Also, there's a ton of vintage (50s, 60s) safety razors on ebay that you can buy, boil and they will be just as fine (some say better) than a new one. They cost from around 5 pounds to 20 pounds and you'd have a damn vintage piece of metal. I mean, that's just cool.

As for blades, the one that came with my razor was a Merkur and it is damn sharp. I tried it completely and store it in a closed box in the bathroom and I'll be very surprised if it goes off in the next couple of shaves. And of course, then I bought a 10 pack of Derby Extras for literally pocket change.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My razor history:

Philips electric: Decent for a thirteen year old but was knackered after a couple of years due to my thick facial fair.
    Remington electric: Similar problem - unless it was completely charged the blades just pulled my hair around rather than cutting it.
    Fusion 5-blade: It was a present from my girlfriend and it worked really well, apart from the prohibitive cost. I ended up shaving once a week to stretch out the blades for as long as possible. Luckily I was in university where looking like a slob isn't an issue.
    Generic twin-blades: Once I couldn't take the Fusion's price tag any more, I just bought a big bag of razors at the supermarket. They're fine in a pinch - I used one this morning as I was in a hurry - but I can feel the stubble just eight hours later.
    Merkur safety razor: Finally. It's cheaper, looks snazzy and if I take my time and shave in the evening before work, I can get away with not shaving for two days. I still get a bit of razor burn when shaving against the grain, but I've bought some aftershave balm which helps with it, and as I can shave before bed I don't have to worry about bleeding on my work clothes.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited July 2010
    Aftershave balm and a proper cream/soap/whatever is a total must for me anyway. Also, if you have the time, apply some of the lotion before the shave and hold the warmest damp towel you can stomach on your beard for a minute or two, then wipe off the lotion and shave as normal. And for three passes, go with grain, across and against and it should hopefully minimize burn.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to get a safety razor that allows me to adjust how the blade angle in the razor.

I've been using this 1960's Gillette safety razor for a couple of years now. Hell, I still have like 80 blades from the initial 100 blades I've gotten from two years ago. Though, I don't shave as much as I should so my blades last a long time.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited July 2010
    Another tip: don't assume the grain of your beard is the same everywhere.

Rhesus Positive on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hrm. I am interested and would like to subscribe to this newsletter.

I've been using a Mach 3 for years, and maybe only bother shaving once a week, if not less. I dislike the sensation of having all my hair ripped out, and razor burn seems unavoidable. Would one surmise that this may be an option to investigate?

Houn on
    edited July 2010
    I definitely do not ever shave against the grain for normal purposes. Maybe for some special occasion, but I get a close shave going just with the grain (and a little perpendicular thrown in there) and I don't need to worry about cuts or razor burn. And my skin looks fantastic, which was a huge problem for me pre-safety razor.

geckahn on
    edited July 2010
    I definitely do not ever shave against the grain for normal purposes. Maybe for some special occasion, but I get a close shave going just with the grain (and a little perpendicular thrown in there) and I don't need to worry about cuts or razor burn. And my skin looks fantastic, which was a huge problem for me pre-safety razor.

That works for the most part for me, put my neckbeard will no even get close to smooth, unless I go across and against. I do it very lightly and with lots of lather and it seems to be alright. I'm going to integrate the buffing action the next time I shave as that would totally solve some of my problems.
    Houn wrote: »
    Hrm. I am interested and would like to subscribe to this newsletter.

I've been using a Mach 3 for years, and maybe only bother shaving once a week, if not less. I dislike the sensation of having all my hair ripped out, and razor burn seems unavoidable. Would one surmise that this may be an option to investigate?

This is one of the things I noticed was very different from my multiblade. Your account is a lot like my experience with my multi. It seemed to rip a lot, instead of cut - increasingly moreso as the blade got used. Using the right motion with the safety seemed to cut very cleanly to the point that I wasn't sure it was doing anything at first, even though it made a very pleasing cutting sound. This was something I was really annoyed by and the safety seemed to have fixed this right up.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone else here shave in the shower?

I used to shave at the sink and would get horrible razor burn. I got a nice mirror mounted in the shower now and never have that problem anymore.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've never really felt like I had a really perfect shave no matter what I use. I guess I'll try this out.

Pi-r8 on
    edited July 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »

I used to shave at the sink and would get horrible razor burn. I got a nice mirror mounted in the shower now and never have that problem anymore.

I'd love to do that, but I need to wear glasses to see what I'm doing :(

Rhesus Positive on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I do this, but with the disposables. I need to shave every single day or else I look like Wolverine so it's just become the thing I do while I let my hair conditioner set.

Incenjucar on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I generally shave before showering. It lessens the amount I break out the next day and the day after that, and washes away the blood.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited July 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I do this, but with the disposables. I need to shave every single day or else I look like Wolverine so it's just become the thing I do while I let my hair conditioner set.

Dang, I can't even imagine shaving with disposable and having an actual, thick beard. Even with the sort of admittedly minimal fuzziness I have, they tear my face up something fierce more often than not and my skin looks terrible for days after.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Dang, I can't even imagine shaving with disposable and having an actual, thick beard. Even with the sort of admittedly minimal fuzziness I have, they tear my face up something fierce more often than not and my skin looks terrible for days after.

My skin is rather smooth, so razors just glide over it.

Incenjucar on
  • TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm really enjoying my straight razor. I was never happy with the disposables for several reasons. First, I never felt it gave a good close shave. I guess my hair is really tough/rough for I can only get a shave or two out of a single blade so I was going through them really quickly which leads me to the other two reasons: cost money and to the environment.

Since I had to pay upfront (the initial cost) for the straight razor, this will take a while to balance; however, the fact that I'm not throwing out each blade definitely makes me feel better. Such a waste.

Tzyr on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This right here! I have a multigrain beard. On my jawline the grain of my beard is angled towards my chin on both sides. My cheeks and neck though are angled down. Makes for an interesting shave when I'm trying to get it super smooth for when I'm going out with my girlfriend or trying to look extra nice.

I can shave my entire face with just a downward stroke but there is definitely stubble left if I don't go back and go down my jawline.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited July 2010
    Tzyr wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying my straight razor. I was never happy with the disposables for several reasons. First, I never felt it gave a good close shave. I guess my hair is really tough/rough for I can only get a shave or two out of a single blade so I was going through them really quickly which leads me to the other two reasons: cost money and to the environment.

Since I had to pay upfront (the initial cost) for the straight razor, this will take a while to balance; however, the fact that I'm not throwing out each blade definitely makes me feel better. Such a waste.

This was also a concern for me. Multiblades come in a stupid concoction of metal and plastic, so it can't be easily sorted, which means that it won't be, it'll just be thrown out. Single steel blades produce a single piece of metal which can be recycled and used again. Straight razors, of course, completely sidestep this issue, but I am still sort of terrified of them.

Besides, I still need to shave my junk and no cut-throat is getting anywhere near that.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    That may have been too much information, there.

Houn on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It takes a steady hand, a keen eye, and a fearless disposition that first time you take a straight blade to the boys. After the first time, though... you'll never use anything else.

Just, don't do it if anyone's going to come into the bathroom and bump into you or anything. Like an asshole dog.

GungHo on
    edited July 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    That may have been too much information, there.

I feel it is a legimate concern that must be shared with the public.
    :winky:
    :(

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    It takes a steady hand, a keen eye, and a fearless disposition that first time you take a straight blade to the boys. After the first time, though... you'll never use anything else.

My balls would hide straight under my lungs if I even try getting a razor to them.

zeeny on
    edited July 2010
    I just read "public" without the "L", and it was 10x weirder.

Ahem.

So, what kind of cream/soap/brush/alum/accessories have you been using along with your new razer? Also, how's the 38C working out for you? Everything I'm reading really recommends the 34C (Merkur HD) for beginners.

Houn on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love my safety razor

I have been using it for 3 or 4 years now and I'm only a little way through my box of 100 blades

also it made me realize that my dad never taught me to shave

teaching me how to put shaving cream on my face and pull a mach 3 down my cheek doesn't take any practice

shaving with a safety razor does

skippydumptruck on
    edited July 2010
    Heh, at least your dad did that much. I was completely solo in this department.

Houn on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, well I can make a 5 pack of whatever razor Gillette has sold me at any given time last about 6 months. I shave about 4 times a week and while I'm no bear man, I do have a reasonably fast growth rate, to the extend that I can have a trim, light beard in 2 weeks.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited July 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »

This right here! I have a multigrain beard. On my jawline the grain of my beard is angled towards my chin on both sides. My cheeks and neck though are angled down. Makes for an interesting shave when I'm trying to get it super smooth for when I'm going out with my girlfriend or trying to look extra nice.

I can shave my entire face with just a downward stroke but there is definitely stubble left if I don't go back and go down my jawline.

I think this is true of anyone

also the cardinal rule of shaving is, never let the blade touch your face without a barrier between your skin and the razor

so if you want to go back over an area after your first pass, be sure to lather up again

skippydumptruck on
    edited July 2010
    this is the best shaving cream I have ever used

http://www.nancyboy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_14&products_id=2

tested on boyfriends, not on animals!

skippydumptruck on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »

I think this is true of anyone

also the cardinal rule of shaving is, never let the blade touch your face without a barrier between your skin and the razor

so if you want to go back over an area after your first pass, be sure to lather up again

I pretty much only need to use shaving cream when I haven't shaved for a week. Aside from that, lack of a lather has no discernable affect on me

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited July 2010
    11qjvbb.jpg

skippydumptruck on