As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buzzing in My Headphones OR is this something I should be worried about?

OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it?the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
Guys I have a question!

I just got this new computer and the first thing I noticed upon starting it up and plugging my headphones in is this weird buzzing noise

It's very strange because sometimes it goes away, but then it comes back, but it never really goes away because it will always buzz when I'm moving the mouse or scrolling the mouse wheel or mousing over icons or minimizing and maximizing windows, and it happens regardless of what the volume is set to, and it only seems to be coming from my headphones and not my speakers (at least from what I can tell)

It's also not the headphones, since they work just fine on my iPod Touch, and I didn't have this problem at all on my last computer

So like, is this something I should be worried about? Is it the headphone jack that's busted? Or is it interference from the wi-fi antennas I've got on the back of my tower? Or is it my subwoofer that's doing that? Do I need to turn off LINE IN or something? Or adjust some dealies in the Creative Audio Control Panel or some such bullshit (I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium if that matters)? Or do I need a new power supply or power strip to plug everything into?

I'm scared and disoriented! I need your help, technology forum that I never post in!

signature-deffo.jpg
PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
Olivaw on

• AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are you plugging the headphones directly in the back, or a case-port on the front? I have similar issues with the front jack on my case, which I've heard has to do with poor shielding from interference.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I've got 'em plugged into the front

I don't know if I have another port on the back, but I guess I should check!

Edit: AHA! By plugging my headphones directly into one of the audio-out sockets, I seem to have beaten the buzzing noise!

Thanks, pal! Whew, that was kinda worrying me. Just got this rig, after all!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's usually bad grounding, the front port is probably making contact with the actual case, so you're picking up all the electrical signals inside there.

Satsumomo on