As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter X Tekken: Game out now. 12 characters DLC incoming. Day 1 patching.

El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
Capture11.jpg

PS3/Vita Exclusive Characters
Cole McGrath (inFamous/inFamous 2)
Toro and Kuro (Japanese Sony cat mascots, PSVita version)
Pac-Man (Namco) and Fat Mega Man (Capcom)

Maximilian goes into pretty good detail about the various system mechanics, providing some tips and general advice about meter usage. Next episode will cover Pandora and gem loadouts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lq1shF8k_o

PSN Challengers:
AuburnTiger - Morningstar_PA
Reynolds - RadSuit
Chorazin - Chorazin

X360 Challengers:
MNC Dover - MNC Dover

PSN: TheArcadeBear
Steam: TheArcadeBear

El Fantastico on

• GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait... so two separate games, with the same characters, but on different fighting/combat engines?

That's a pretty damn interesting idea.

GPIA7R on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's what they did with SNK and Capcom but in reverse sort of. Capcom made the 3 on 3 fighter and SNK made the 1 on 1 fighter.

It's interesting because the rumor is that they are both being worked on right now. Unlike last time where Capcom did their games and then SNK did their games.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is a really neat idea, and I very much hope it's true. Company crossovers are rife with potential in my eyes anyways, and having each company do it's own take on things is clever.

Also that image, despite being for the old RPG game of that name, reminds me that if one/both of these games do not feature Xenosaga characters, I will shake my fist in pointless internet rage.

Ormuss on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Still hoping it's a massive troll and they just port Namco x Capcom to xbl and psn, just with each company handling one of the localizations.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Still hoping it's a massive troll and they just port Namco x Capcom to xbl and psn, just with each company handling one of the localizations.

I could expect that from Namco, but Capcom is taking itself too seriously now to try a fake-out like that. Not when they already have big games in development like MvC3.

On that same note though, I can't see this news having as big of an impact as the announcement of MVC3 did. Namco isn't as unknown as Tatsunoko, but it's nowhere near as popular as a Marvel crossover is. I wouldn't be surprised if these games just turn out to be flops in the end because all of Capcom's marketing is going to MVC3.

El Fantastico on

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What I wouldn't give to see a KOS vs Cammie fight [tiny]in underwear with pillows[/tiny].

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wasn't this an RPG that came out forever ago?

edit: I just read the article; claims it has nothing to do with the RPG

slash000 on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think we are all missing the most crucial piece of information from the (possibly fake) banner.

Sir Arthur. In a fighting game. Let us rejoice.

Walt on
    edited July 2010
    It's not a fake banner. It's from the old Namco X Capcom RPG. So that image has nothing to do with the rumored games.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wasn't the SSFIV designer saying he was going to have a big announcement at Comic Con?

Kyougu on
    edited July 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Wasn't the SSFIV designer saying he was going to have a big announcement at Comic Con?

Yes, and there was this silly thing at Evo where the director for Tekken tried to get him up on stage and make a reveal about an unspecified thing. He told everyone to wait for Comic-Con.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    It's not a fake banner. It's from the old Namco X Capcom RPG. So that image has nothing to do with the rumored games.
    That makes me incredibly sad, unless they use this roster anyways.

Walt on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, unfortunately it's the only picture worth putting up until news comes out of SDCC this weekend. I'll update the OP for now.

El Fantastico on

edited July 2010
    500x_sf_x_tekken.jpg

Two games are now confirmed.

The first will be Street Fighter 4 - esque with tag team fighting, developed by Capcom. The latter will be a 3D fighter in the vein of tekken style games developed by Namco.

Teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSd8jShLfhg&feature=player_embedded

Street Fighter IV producer Yoshinori Ono had his "Street Fighter IV and Beyond" panel interrupted by Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada today, with the rival fighting game makers joining together to announce two Street Fighter versus Tekken collaborations.

Street Fighter X Tekken was introduced with a teaser trailer featuring Street Fighter's Ryu facing down Tekken's Kazuya Mishima in a pre-rendered sneak peek presented in Street Fighter IV's sketchy, inky visual style. The game, pronounced "Street Fighter cross Tekken" will be coming to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Following the announcement, Ono surprised the crowd by holding up a Blu-ray disc with a copy of the game, then provided attendees with a live, playable demo.

Street Fighter X Tekken appears to feature Street Fighter IV's gameplay mechanics, locked onto a 2D plane, with both Tekken and Street Fighter characters performing EX-style super moves. The match started off with Ryu versus Kazuya Mishima, but Ono and Harada tagged in two more characters, Street Fighter's Chun-li and Tekken's Nina Williams. Ryu deployed his trademark fireball Ultra move, with Kazuya later following that up with his spinning electrified uppercut.

Harada followed that playable match with an announcement of his own, confirming that Tekken X Street Fighter is also in development at Namco. That game is rumored to play in the style of Tekken, with contestants fighting in a 3D arena.

Ono said the games won't be out "for a while" and that fighting game fans should enjoy Marvel vs. Capcom 3 while they wait.

Update: As some commenters have pointed it, Tekken's Kazuya Mishima was the fighter that appeared in the demo and trailer, not Jin Kazama. Apologies for the error.

slash000 on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So long as it doesn't suck like Namco's attempt at a Wii action-adventure romp, which I doubt it will, it should be fine

Synthesis on
    edited July 2010
    OK i can post some screens in a second

slash000 on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fine by degrees

Sam on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    fine by degrees

Not sure if this was directed at me, but I actually meant Soulcalibur Legends. :lol:

Synthesis on
    edited July 2010
    LOTS of screenshots here

Spoilered for huge
    ALL01_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg

ALL02_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg

ALL03_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg

ALL04_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg

ALL05_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg

ALL06_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg

ALL07_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg

ALL08_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg

ALL09_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg

ALL10_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg

ALL11_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg

ALL12_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg

slash000 on
    edited July 2010
    Hehe, the guy with the camera in numerous SSFIV stages is there too.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited July 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    Hehe, the guy with the camera in numerous SSFIV stages is there too.

I like the giant servbot head in the background too.

slash000 on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dear God please let Arthur be a hidden character. I know, I know, keep dreaming Howdy. But if it was pure Capcom vs Namco, you know damn well you'd be playing as Arthur.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited July 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Dear God please let Arthur be a hidden character. I know, I know, keep dreaming Howdy. But if it was pure Capcom vs Namco, you know damn well you'd be playing as Arthur.
    oops. its' SF v Tekken.. erg

slash000 on
    edited July 2010
    It's called Street Fighter vs. Tekken. D:

If there was going to be anything else it would be Capcom vs. Namco or something. I'm just thinking about the different stages they went though with the Marvel characters.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not Capcom vs Namco.

It's Street Fighter Vs Tekken. It'll only pit Street Fighter characters versus Tekken Characters.

Sigtyr on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Though weirdly enough at the end of the trailer you can see pacman vs megaman.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited July 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    It's not Capcom vs Namco.

It's Street Fighter Vs Tekken. It'll only pit Street Fighter characters versus Tekken Characters.

You're right. I got so excited.

It's SF x Tekken or whatever. ie SF Characters and Tekken characters.

Although it'd be cooler with an all out mash up it will still be really cool and I look forward to it.

slash000 on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eh... I was hoping for Soul Calibur over Tekken, myself- I haven't played Tekken since the second or third game, and it's been years since I played a Street Fighter game.

But I hope this does well enough that SF vs. SC could become a reality some day.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

That might be to remind everyone that they are working on new megaman and pacman games.
    Or might just be because they are the companies most famous creations.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
    edited July 2010
    HenryVape wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »

That might be to remind everyone that they are working on new megaman and pacman games.
    Or might just be because they are the companies most famous creations.

Namco yeah but Capcom. I dunno. It's a toss up between MegaMan, Resident Evil, and Street Fighter.

Heh, maybe Pacman will be a playable character in Megaman Universe. That would be hilarious.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited July 2010
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Eh... I was hoping for Soul Calibur over Tekken, myself- I haven't played Tekken since the second or third game, and it's been years since I played a Street Fighter game.

I was hoping, before this was announced, that it would be more of a mash up between all of the properties, so that we could have characters from everything.

But! This is still super awesome. This will be the first time I get into a fighting game with Tekken characters in it :P

Soul Calibur would be amazing, as would many other properties, although I guess they're simply sticking to SF and Tekken since these are fighting game franchises and they don't involve weapons, so they make more sense in a single game. Unless you went all out like MVC style. But this game doesn't seem to be going for that direction.

Yeah I love SC. I never "got into" Tekken but I've always found the characters interesting and I absolutely love Capcom's recent fighting games, so I have high hopes for this.

slash000 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like how it's Street Fighter X Tekken. NxC lives!

If Reiji and Xiaomu are in this, I will buy both versions.
    (in the center of the NxC graphic, the blonde and the gunman; NxC's only original characters, aside from Saya)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • LuthonLuthon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I was really disappointed and still am about Darkstalkers not being released but man I'll love this game forever if I can get a Dan/paul phoenix tag team.

It would be awesome if they took the roster from SSFIV and tekken 6 and put it in this game.

Luthon on
    edited July 2010
    Haha, man that would be a nightmare to try to balance, 37 characters in SF4, 40(?) in tekken 6. 77 characters! i would love that, so many combinations!

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    JaysonFour wrote: »

I was hoping, before this was announced, that it would be more of a mash up between all of the properties, so that we could have characters from everything.

But! This is still super awesome. This will be the first time I get into a fighting game with Tekken characters in it :P

Soul Calibur would be amazing, as would many other properties, although I guess they're simply sticking to SF and Tekken since these are fighting game franchises and they don't involve weapons, so they make more sense in a single game. Unless you went all out like MVC style. But this game doesn't seem to be going for that direction.

Yeah I love SC. I never "got into" Tekken but I've always found the characters interesting and I absolutely love Capcom's recent fighting games, so I have high hopes for this.

I feel almost the same way, except that I've never gotten into the Street Fighter series, but loved the Tekken series. Whenever Namco's half in this comes out, I'll finally be able to not look like an idiot playing as SF characters

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The screens so far are looking very SF4ish. I hope we get some details soon on what differates it from the main series.

Dragkonias on
    edited July 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    The screens so far are looking very SF4ish. I hope we get some details soon on what differates it from the main series.

We also know that there are tag teams. I mean, if nothing else there's that difference.

slash000 on
    edited July 2010
    I though it looked somewhat faster, but i havent actually played SF4 so much that i notice things very well, also, can Ryu do a forward roll in SF4?

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    HenryVape wrote: »
    I though it looked somewhat faster, but i havent actually played SF4 so much that i notice things very well, also, can Ryu do a forward roll in SF4?

No, did he roll in the gameplay video? I could totally see them adding an evasion move for Tekken characters to deal with fireballs.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does this really work to get Tekken players into SF and vice versa? Seems like Tekken players could just buy the 3D one and SF players buy the 2D one.

Dr Mario Kart on