As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOBA DOBA] League of Legends. use skill close eyes play hard

TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
title.jpg

Okay, League of Legends is a [vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXKd7uuehlw"]DotA-style game[/vidurl] and it's FREE. The community is known to be a little less harsh than the standard DotA/HoN ones; but, you will still run across a fair amount of mouth-breathing silly geese. If you hang out with the PAers, though, we're usually pretty damn inviting (and so fucking cool, especially MooMan). AND IT'S FREE!!! Well... mostly. Here's the skinny: They have 10 free rotating champions that you can choose from, if you want to 'buy' champions permanently you can do that with Riot Points (RP) or Influence Points (IP). You get RP with real cash dollars, and RP prices are usually lower than IP prices. You gain IP for just playing game, when you finish a game you'll get IP points based on how well you did in the game. You can also purchase Runes. Runes and Masteries are applied before the game and make your champions stronger, this is referred to as the Summoner meta-game. You gain levels as you play as well which opens up the ability to put more runes and masteries to work for you. That's the quick and dirty of the game. If you're completely new to this style of game, check out the new player stuff on the Riot site.

Here's your standard, wiki-stolen background:
Two main designers for the popular Warcraft III custom map, Defense of the Ancients: Allstars (commonly abbreviated as DotA), Steve "Guinsoo" Feak and Steve “Pendragon” Mescon are involved with Riot Games in the making of League Of Legends: Clash of Fates[6]. Guinsoo created DotA: Allstars from the original DotA, created by Eul, by adding his own mix of content, including over 40 heroes, numerous items, and various gameplay changes. Guinsoo then passed DotA: Allstars on to its current developer, Icefrog. Pendragon, who is the Director of Community Relations for Riot Games, helped create the DotA: Allstars website along with its forums, and is still currently working on League of Legends: Clash of Fates.

HANG OUT IN THE PENNY-ARCADE VENT TO GET GAMES!!! It's the easiest way to get going with us, just show up and ask if anyone is looking.
If you can't find any there check out the LoL vent (https://beta.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=6) and you can probably scrounge up a pre-made.
The Champions
Click for more information
akali.jpgalistar.jpgamumu.jpganivia.jpgannie.jpgashe.jpgblitzcrank.jpg
chogath.jpgcorki.jpgdrmundo.jpgevelynn.jpgezreal.jpgfiddlesticks.jpggaren.jpg
gragas2.jpggangplank.jpgheimerdinger.jpgjanna.jpgjax.jpgkarthus.jpgkassadin.jpg
katarina.jpgkayle.jpgkennen.jpgmalphite.jpgmalzahar.jpgmasteryi.jpgmordekaiser2.jpg
morgana.jpgnasus.jpgnidalee.jpgnunu.jpgolaf.jpgpantheon2.jpgpoppy.jpg
rammus.jpgryze.jpgshaco.jpgshen.jpgsinged.jpgsion.jpgsivir.jpg
soraka.jpgtaric.jpgteemo.jpgtristana.jpgtryndamere.jpgtwistedfate.jpgtwitch.jpg
udyr.jpgveigar.jpgwarwick.jpgzilean.jpg

People that are playing, and that you might also want to play with:
PM me if you want to be added to the list, I'm probably not going to be able to pick up every in-thread request.
TyrantCow : MooMan
FightTest : FightTest
fadingathedges : fadingathedges
undeinpirat : undeinpirat
zanmatto : ParanoidDroid
Zombiemambo : EssGee
Cohsae : Cohsae
Nisi : Nisi
Sirson : Sirson
Originate : Originate
DebaserZbs : DebaserZbs
Endomatic : Barnabus
I needed a name to post : Pterodactyl Man
Zek : Zeyk
klok : fastpaced
ParisInFlames : skoot
Stolls : Karlinn
fmz65 : SensAZNal
UrQuanLord88 : urquan
TheSuperWoot : MelancholyMark
Lehman : Draggan
CharlesVI : CharlesVI
Bendery It Like Beckham : Bendery
DustedForLife : DustedAgain
Zoelef : Zoelef
soggychicken : soggychicken
Peas : jyajin
Custom Special : F4ll0ut
alset85 : alseT
king awesome : kingawesome
Mightyhog : Agreedo
Houn : Houn
In Starscream We Trust : In Starscream We Trust
TriadFate : TriadFate
Drakmathus : Drakmathus
Bardi : Bardi
MinionOfCthulhu : MinionOfCthulhu
Hrage : friedriceyum
Esc.Hatch : Hatch
distracted : Distracted
Feldorn : Mortenya
Adus : Adus
BaronVonNub : BaronVonNub
Zero-Control : ZeroControl
RawrBear : RawrBear
hiigaran : hiigaran
Thrawn200 : Mitthrawnuruodo
Seran : Seran
Colt : TheDeathJester
PolloDiablo : PolloDiablo
Slicer : Srice
Fiaryn : Fiaryn
Dracil : Dracil
Zalin : Zalin
Camui : Sogedan
Chubbly : Chubbly
Mugaaz : Mugaaz
Pyromaniac221 : abstrakt11
Shade : Hardcannon
nome : xcletus
Arch : Zinnar
Pmoney : Pmoney
Fleck0 : flecko
Saphier : errant
Thor1590 : Aphrodesizach19
PJStelford : PJStelford
Reagan : Reagan
programjunkie: Wicked Demiurge
Niqle : Niqle
nealcm : Alvarian
Tiger Burning : Tiger Burning
facetious : Bonhomie
Verr : verr
cutfang : Dancing Bagel
cwapfobrains : infobrains
Manetherenwolf : Manetherenwolf
Banana-Man : SaintAugustine
Evil Weevil : Evil Weevil
Karnius : Karnius
Nanaki : Nanaki
ResIpsaLoquitur : ResIpsa
jdmichal : KillerCodeMonky
CrownAxe : CrownAxe
Alecthar : Alecthar
Darkewolfe : Darkewolfe
NBoomer : NBoomer
Evilsville : October13
Grundlterror : thecwar
Kias : Kias2
Insanity : The Huge Manatee
Averni : Keredar
eeSanG : 2sang
Xaquin : Xaquin
Squirrel Rancher : Glory2Hypnotoad
Shrieve : Shrieve
Eddy : Valencian
Figgy : Figment3
sportzboytjw : TylerJ
Edgie : Edg1e
Biosys : Biosys
Megamaniaco : Corcorigan
Dread Pirate Arbuthnot : Requine
iamthepieman : pyeman
Trynant : Trytann
stopgap : Stopgap

The Code
Cutfang wrote: »
Q: I am trying to login but the server status is "Busy"

A: This will happen often during busy hours. However, the servers may still be accessible. With the launcher window in focus, press the arrow keys 'up' 'down' 'left' 'right' 'up' 'up' 'down' 'down' to bypass the launcher and go to the password window.
TyrantCow wrote: »
use the code if you get servers are down/busy message (amumu/blitzcrank)

make sure the launcher window is your active window

press up, down, left, right, up, up, down, down on your keyboards arrow keys

it'll switch it to teemo

If you're going to spend real dollar monies on this game
Zoelef wrote: »
Drop $20 for the Retail Box (Amazon, Best Buy, GameSpot, Newegg, Target, and Wal-Mart typically have this) It gives you $10 in Riot Points, take those, then buy $10 in Riot Points and $5 in Riot Points. Spend all of them on the second champ pack.

That's $35 for 40 champs permanently unlocked; none of the post-40 have ever been in a bundle AFAIK.
Cutfang wrote: »
Q: How can I get champions and save money?

A: You won't have to spend a cent if you simply play games and earn enough IP to buy them all. If, however, you wish to hasten the process you may buy champions with real money. The most cost effective way to buy champions is by purchasing the two bundles on offer.

For $45 you can buy 6380 Riot Points, which are used to buy champions and skins. 3900 of those points gets you the Digital Collector's Pack, which contains 20 champions and includes 1380 Riot Points (huh?). If you were to buy the champions individually it would cost 37800 IP or 9620 RP. The Digital Collector's pack can also be bought in stores or online as a boxed copy, which may save you a significant amount of money.

3410 Riot Points gets you the champions bundle. This contains some more expensive champions. Bought individually they would cost 60750 IP or 14350 RP (ish).

This leaves you with 450 RP, enough to buy yourself a single skin!

Also, here's a picture of BigWah's adorable kid that he may or may not have had considerable disagreements with in the past:
pa310620.jpg

Long live the Bearcock!

TyrantCow on

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You should pit giant X's over the portraits of Heimer, Shaco, Shen, and Soraka

Because you will never play them in ranked

Zen Vulgarity on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You forgot XZ banned in the thread title.

Lucascraft on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nope XZ is still half and half

Zen Vulgarity on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Everything is banned, the game is now played by staring at a blank screen for 30 minutes.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah, i think i'll spruce up the OP when i get home tonight

she's looking so dejected

TyrantCow on
    edited July 2010
    I'm really surprised that Shaco is a banned character. Of course, I haven't played at the top level yet. I'm only level 20 and by most standards would still be considered fairly new to the game. But in lower level play Shaco doesn't give me much trouble.

Lucascraft on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shaco is banned not so much because he's OP anymore, and more because everybody is about sick of dealing with him.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You should pit giant X's over the portraits of Heimer, Shaco, Shen, and Soraka

Because you will never play them in ranked

I got to play Heimer once in a ranked game.

I bet the guy who was in charge of bans on the other team will never make that mistake again!

Slicer on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was going to play 1 ranked match last night but my Internet decided to cut out 3 times during champion select. I was so very very sad.

I was the last person to pick and I was going to get Shen. Kind of unbelievable.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    ArmLion wrote: »
    verbel wrote: »
    People in DOTA were very un friendly when you were trying to learn and I did not like that.

I just started and haven't had too many people be really mean when I do something stupid or play poorly... having levels really helps a lot with this, I think... you can't expect too much from someone who's played 5 games... but it is competitive, and nobody likes to lose, so I have seen some people complain about how bad players are and get a bit nasty. But I've seen that in any game where you're playing with/against randoms... there are definitely much worse communities out there.

I only yell at Cognisseur.

I'm nice to everyone else.

I do make fun of Rak every now and then for fighting with the camera more than the enemy.
    THIS IS A FUCKING LIE

I yelled at you once!

And I apologized for it. :(

Melkster on
  • CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey dudes. Check this out.

I went to the Museum of Natural History, and look what I fucking found:

warwick.jpg
    It's motherfucking Warwick's skeleton! :lol:

Cognisseur on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shaco deals massive amounts of damage and has a completely overpowered escape ability (blink + stealth), so ban.

One hero I was surprised to see banned quite so often was Taric. Seen him banned more often than Heimer and the new guy.

reVerse on
    edited July 2010
    You still yelled at me

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2010
    I will say though that I think Shaco would be more reasonable if they just limited the number of Jack-in-the-Boxes he can set down at any one time. Would reduce the issue of him being, without question, the best jungler bar none.

Fiaryn on
    edited July 2010
    Guess its just as well that I haven't played ranked yet or been team captain yet. I would ban Ashe because she is boring and I hate laning against her. As a Tristana player I end up laning against Ashe far too often.

Lucascraft on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    lucascraft gets first ban
    lucascraft bans Ashe

team chat: WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

TyrantCow on
    edited July 2010
    1100xp 'til ranked matches.

Which I didn't play when I could.

Hmmm.

wazilla on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Once I get captain in ranked I'm gonna ban all the terrible chars like evelynn and malzahar just so i am spared of seeing their low tier mugs in the game.

Dac Vin on
    edited July 2010
    Ban Corki.

Malzahar can be good.

Corki is like... "sup OHMAHGAWDI'MDEAD"

wazilla on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Once I get captain in ranked I'm gonna ban all the terrible chars like evelynn and malzahar just so i am spared of seeing their low tier mugs in the game.

Does not compute

Slicer on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is there a particular formula for who ends up captain?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Highest Elo in solo, whoever formed the team in arranged.

Nisi on
  • FragarachFragarach Never misses. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finished my first week of the game, and it's not going so hot. I play fairly solidly, having played DotA since the oooold Darkness maps, but I can't seem to win. I am now 26-37, on like a 9 game losing streak. I seem to get the worst players in the history of the world while the other team gets a bunch of pros on new accounts or something. Last game I played I was Singed, going tank for the team because we didn't have one. I handled my lane great, ganked, racked up a score of like 10-1 and a ton of assists, and got pretty tank-tastic. At this point, my team (all with names like QYUTUEEUR and DSFSsfsfFSFS) proceed to push up mid to the second tower and die. OVER. AND OVER. AND OVER AGAIN. I must have typed 'b' a million times with never so much as an acknowledgement. Hell, 3 of them said one or two things in some Asian language and then proceeded to be silent the rest of the game while marching grimly to their inevitable deaths. I helped best I could while dying a few times in the process and generally waiting at my base to fend off the never-ending counter sorties.

Since I'm venting, this is a good place to mention the afkers. Three games, THREE, just today alone, where we are clearly dominant until someone (always the mid solo carry) comes up with something like 'LOL grandma got pizza brb' and is then afk the rest of the game until our bitter loss. I really don't know how they could implement an afk tagging system without it being used to grief, but goddamn.

Thiese are typical games for me. I really really can't win these last few days :(

Fragarach on
    edited July 2010
    Last night I was playing Tristana in center lane against Twisted Fate. We had a funny little exchange in /all chat.

TF: Stop shooting me Tristana!
    Me: Stop standing in front of my bullets.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2010
    Fragarach wrote: »
    Finished my first week of the game, and it's not going so hot. I play fairly solidly, having played DotA since the oooold Darkness maps, but I can't seem to win. I am now 26-37, on like a 9 game losing streak. I seem to get the worst players in the history of the world while the other team gets a bunch of pros on new accounts or something. Last game I played I was Singed, going tank for the team because we didn't have one. I handled my lane great, ganked, racked up a score of like 10-1 and a ton of assists, and got pretty tank-tastic. At this point, my team (all with names like QYUTUEEUR and DSFSsfsfFSFS) proceed to push up mid to the second tower and die. OVER. AND OVER. AND OVER AGAIN. I must have typed 'b' a million times with never so much as an acknowledgement. Hell, 3 of them said one or two things in some Asian language and then proceeded to be silent the rest of game while marching grimly to their inevitable deaths. I helped best I could while dying a few times in the process and generally waiting at my base to fend off the never-ending counter sorties.

This is a typical game for me. I really really can't win these last few days :(

Basically all I can recommend is to stop solo queuing.

Fiaryn on
    edited July 2010
    Duo Queue

It's the only way to single queue

Zen Vulgarity on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    ArmLion wrote: »
    verbel wrote: »
    People in DOTA were very un friendly when you were trying to learn and I did not like that.

I just started and haven't had too many people be really mean when I do something stupid or play poorly... having levels really helps a lot with this, I think... you can't expect too much from someone who's played 5 games... but it is competitive, and nobody likes to lose, so I have seen some people complain about how bad players are and get a bit nasty. But I've seen that in any game where you're playing with/against randoms... there are definitely much worse communities out there.

I only yell at Cognisseur.

I'm nice to everyone else.

I do make fun of Rak every now and then for fighting with the camera more than the enemy.
    THIS IS A FUCKING LIE

I yelled at you once!

And I apologized for it. :(

melk is nice to me.

sometimes he yells at me for dancing in front of enemies or trying to kill 4 mans on my own, but we homeslices.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Shaco deals massive amounts of damage and has a completely overpowered escape ability (blink + stealth), so ban.

One hero I was surprised to see banned quite so often was Taric. Seen him banned more often than Heimer and the new guy.

My issue with shaco is that he has a:
    Blink
    Stealth
    Pets
    Fear
    Ranged Nuke
    Ranged Slow
    Blind
    A Clone that stacks all item effects which also acts as a nuke.

You can solo Barron at 14min in with pretty much no items.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiHa6KUqWWE

Ok so Bloodrazor isn't really "no items" but you can farm that up while still being bad early game. Its not like he had a Bloodrazor Bloodthurster Starks all at level 14. One Aura item, the starting item for starks and a bloodrazor.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    On the discussion of mana items in the other thread: Having a chalice at low lvl is actually a good strategy because at this point you don't have the rune build to sustain your mana consumption (Especially if you are playing Morgana like i do, god she eats more mana than my mom). At level 20 or higher though, with MP5/lvl seals you got more than enough mana regen to just skip mana items and directly go for things like boots and other items in your core build. If at this point you STILL have mana problems, it's actually you being too spammy.

Dac Vin on
    edited July 2010
    so I played rammus last night and he's lots and lots of fun.

I don't really play many tanks (besides singed, but I got sick of playing him all the time) so this will be quite a change.

Anyone have any recommendations towards builds?

So far I have this:

1. Doran's Butt (shield)
    2. Ninja Tabai
    3. Heart of Gold
    4. Thornmail
    5. Randuin's/Aegis?
    6. Frozen Heart

After that, if there's even a chance to get more, I'll go for Guardian or Force of Nature.

For his abilities, priority goes like W>E>R>Q? I tend to put a point in Q or E first, then max out W and E, then finish up Q.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited July 2010
    CLONE NO LONGER STACKS ALL ITEM EFFECTS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Zen Vulgarity on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why are you surprised they changed that

He should not have been able to double dip with things like Sunfires and Starks

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Well he can still do sunfire

Just not double madrids :(

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2010
    CLONE NO LONGER STACKS ALL ITEM EFFECTS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

shutup fgt shaco player.

help me with rammus.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited July 2010
    Practice games are back guys!

Yesssssssssss.

Dac Vin on
    edited July 2010
    I only play Shaco when he's free

Oh hey we can in house now.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wazilla wrote: »
    Ban Corki.

Malzahar can be good.

Corki is like... "sup OHMAHGAWDI'MDEAD"

I lost a 5v4 because our Corki force-fed himself to the other team while being a useless piece of shit everywhere else.

BlueDestiny on
    edited July 2010
    Corki is an outstanding hard carry

Zen Vulgarity on
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok so Bloodrazor isn't really "no items" but you can farm that up while still being bad early game. Its not like he had a Bloodrazor Bloodthurster Starks all at level 14. One Aura item, the starting item for starks and a bloodrazor.

Old video, this was nerfed.

Nisi on
    edited July 2010
    My penis was nerfed

Zen Vulgarity on