As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MOBA DOBA] League of Legends. use skill close eyes play hard

• Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    So I guess no one is going to respond to my Rammus post?

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so I played rammus last night and he's lots and lots of fun.

I don't really play many tanks (besides singed, but I got sick of playing him all the time) so this will be quite a change.

Anyone have any recommendations towards builds?

So far I have this:

1. Doran's Butt (shield)
    2. Ninja Tabai
    3. Heart of Gold
    4. Thornmail
    5. Randuin's/Aegis?
    6. Frozen Heart

After that, if there's even a chance to get more, I'll go for Guardian or Force of Nature.

For his abilities, priority goes like W>E>R>Q? I tend to put a point in Q or E first, then max out W and E, then finish up Q.

Instead of rushing to Thornmail/Randuin, just stack triple hearts of gold. It'll give you a decent amount of income as well as health and armor. Then from there build what the other team has. Physical? THornmail/Sunfire. Magical? Banshees/Force O nature.

What on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What wrote: »
    so I played rammus last night and he's lots and lots of fun.

I don't really play many tanks (besides singed, but I got sick of playing him all the time) so this will be quite a change.

Anyone have any recommendations towards builds?

So far I have this:

1. Doran's Butt (shield)
    2. Ninja Tabai
    3. Heart of Gold
    4. Thornmail
    5. Randuin's/Aegis?
    6. Frozen Heart

After that, if there's even a chance to get more, I'll go for Guardian or Force of Nature.

For his abilities, priority goes like W>E>R>Q? I tend to put a point in Q or E first, then max out W and E, then finish up Q.

Instead of rushing to Thornmail/Randuin, just stack triple hearts of gold. It'll give you a decent amount of income as well as health and armor. Then from there build what the other team has. Physical? THornmail/Sunfire. Magical? Banshees/Force O nature.

And don't forget to build your boots based on what the enemy team is. Which most of the time means Merc Treads.

Slicer on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I guess no one is going to respond to my Rammus post?

What do you want to do with him - lane control/tower pushes or initiate teamfights? Regardless, you need more MR IMO, and you don't really have any HP regen in there (spirit visage earlier might help both of those, plus give you cooldown), and I'd switch to merc treads. I play Mumu/malphite though, so be aware I could be wrong. Sunfire is also never a bad choice with a tank, especially since it will stack with tremors nicely.

schuss on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To add to what What said, 2nd level boots are always a strategic decision depending on what you're up against. And especially with rammus, I'd get at least an item or two before getting boots, because his roll provides most of the mobility you'll need early on.

I usually build something like:
    1. Doran's Shield + HP pot
    2. Heart of Gold (sometimes x2)
    3. Chalice of Harmony
    4. 2nd level boots (usually Merc treads or mobility)
    5. Aegis
    6. Randuin's

Then Thornmail if there's heavy physical dps, or Guardian's Angel if there's lots o' magic being thrown about.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have never used heart of gold or avarice blade but a few guides I read for gangplank seem to stack 2-3 blades is that a good idea??? or is that just bad players making bad builds?

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Practice games are back guys!

Yesssssssssss.

Melkster on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gangplank's parrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlay applies on hit affects

So it crits

and hurts a lot

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nisi wrote: »
    Highest Elo in solo.

this is not true in any way. it is totally random. i've had the lowest elo/lvl as captain before.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And about abilities for Rammus, just get 1 of powerball for the mobility early on, then switch between ball curl and taunt, grabbing his ult when you can.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gonna play AP WW tonight yeahhhh

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    BatmantisBatmantis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    Hey dudes. Check this out.

I went to the Museum of Natural History, and look what I fucking found:

warwick.jpg
    It's motherfucking Warwick's skeleton! :lol:

This is probably the funniest shit I've ever seen.

Top 5 at least.

Batmantis on
    Play with me people!
    LOL: Batmantis
    MTGO: Batmantis88
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And about abilities for Rammus, just get 1 of powerball for the mobility early on, then switch between ball curl and taunt, grabbing his ult when you can.

okie dokie thanks for the heads up :)

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Highest Elo in solo.

this is not true in any way. it is totally random. i've had the lowest elo/lvl as captain before.

but nisi is know all feldorn.

like the matrix.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Highest Elo in solo.

I swore I read this somewhere, but I can't locate it now. Even if I did though they may have changed it, or I am misremembering. I've only solo ranked twice :)

Nisi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Highest Elo in solo.

I swore I read this somewhere, but I can't locate it now. Even if I did though they may have changed it, or I am misremembering. I've only solo ranked twice :)

I was under this impression as well. Maybe they changed it before it went live? *shrug*

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Only level 30s can do ranked now, welp.

What on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

lul what?

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was under this impression as well. Maybe they changed it before it went live? *shrug*

Makes me feel less comfy playing solo ranked. Though since the rating is seperate and hopefully as you gain in wins you get less idiots, shouldn't be too bad.

Nisi on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played a lot of Pudge and Devourer (in Dota and HoN, respectively) so I've been trying Blitz for hook purposes, and I've been doing a heavy roaming gank strategy that has payed off with 10-2-6 and 7-0-4 so far today.

Hurrah.

To make it less about me, and more about you, should I be going tank or damage? or is that largely dependant on enemy team makeup?

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

lul what?

Just saw that. Kind of makes my weekend grind to 20 futile.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    huh, i kind of can't believe that vampire guy is real

there was a character from a WC3 MOBA map that was a blood mage, and the blood mage had an ability called Tides of Blood... the map was called Tides of Blood

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm getting a team to do ranked 5v5 and 3v3 pretty much everynight if we have takers. Anytime after 6pm PST (9pm EST) I should be up and around ready to rock. Just give me a whisper or a shakedown on steam if you're interested. Be ready for srs business.

Lunysgwen on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

that is retarded.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CLONE NO LONGER STACKS ALL ITEM EFFECTS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    Fixed a bug where Hallucinate clones would proc on-hit effects an extra time
    I'm pretty sure your wrong! It still proc's all on hit effects, it just doesn't do it more then it should now.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Highest Elo in solo.

my experience with 9 or 10 games of solo is that it is totally random. i've check who the captain is and i've had higher rating than the captains a few times.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Highest Elo in solo.

my experience with 9 or 10 games of solo is that it is totally random. i've check who the captain is and i've had higher rating than the captains a few times.

Well, that would explain those two captains I had who had banned either Amumu or Ryze.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TyrantCow wrote: »

that is retarded.

No, it's not. They have very solid data to back up the following facts:

- Players who are not level 30 are far more likely to leave games.
    - Players who are not level 30 are far more likely to lose games.

Given those facts, it's better for the general player population to limit the ranked games to those who are level 30 and up. You won't get placed with non-30s and your overall experience with the solo ranked queue will improve accordingly.

Ya'll should read the original post by Riot explaining the decision before complaining about it:
    In response to customer feedback regarding the ranked games we have decided that summoners must reach level 30 in order to be able to participate in ranked play. While we understand that this will spell disappointment for some, we believe that it is important to ensure that the playing field is level before players do battle in a ladder setting. We made this decision in response to our initial data from ranked play, which has shown that players below level 30 leave up to 4.2% of games while level 30 players leave around 1.1% of games. Additionally, players below summoner level 30 trend towards win rates as low as 35.2%, whereas summoners of level 30 currently have an average win rate of 52%. We have also shown that overall player quality improves drastically as summoners level up to 30. We've attached a few graphs to help illustrate the point.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=43920&d=1279678401

The only folks it negatively effects are the decent sub-30s who are excluded. But at least they can look forward to a better experience in solo queue once they actually hit 30.

Melkster on
  • Options
    jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well. At least maybe by the time I hit 30 (which will be approx. 5 years based on my current advancement (and absolutely no math)) they'll have implemented swapping in the draft.
    Melkster wrote: »
    The only folks it negatively effects are the decent sub-30s who are excluded. But at least they can look forward to a better experience in solo queue once they actually hit 30.

Sorry Melk. You'll have to truck on without me!

On another note. I played Kassadin last night. And being a generally good Puck player from DotA (and whatever the post-release turtle guy is in HoN), I have found the LoL analogue. I cannot describe how many times I escaped death when I, by all things right in the world, should have been dead.

And thanks for whoever brought up the fact that you can jump over walls bigger than the Riftwalk range. That was a good thing to know going into playing him. I think the algorithm basically takes your target point, then finds the closest point Kassadin will fit into and puts him there. At one point fighting Golem, I tried to blink behind him but there wasn't enough room and I ended up on the other side of the trees. Thankfully I got back before he started regenerating health.

Also, I had so much fun against Heimer. Even though we lost the game because he basically solo-countered every push attempt we made. Nothing like seeing him in a nest, and jumping on him with a 4-stack Riftwalk.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    nope still dumb

riot's explanation leads me to believe it's a problem with the matchmaker, not the players.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    well, the matchmaker does not have a way to calculate the likelihood of a player ragequitting

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    why not?

why can't it look a player's leaves?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think they should probably revisit their rating algorithm, as you should be able to increase rank even in loss, since if you go 20/1/4 and your team is filled with mouthbreathers, it should still take that into account.
    For leavers, I think you should be allowed 1 leave a week (for system issues etc.), then be put into a separate queue that's only leavers. This would segregate the douchebag population and midgame leavers so they could only play with each other. Everyone would be happy. As it stands, it will probably take me months to get to 30, which is sad because I won't be able to play with most PA'ers.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    jdmichal wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »

Sorry Melk. You'll have to truck on without me!

Damnit, I didn't know you weren't level 30.

The world is cruel. :(

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    nope still dumb

riot's explanation leads me to believe it's a problem with the matchmaker, not the players.

Yep, I love having to play a certain amount of time before I can play without the overpowered pieces of shit heroes.

What on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    yeah, it seems like they're taking the absolute easiest path to solve a very complicated problem

while i can respect the desire to make a simple solution, it still seems like a cop-out

though, maybe the pre-30 population is lower than i think; but, i gotta assume there's a good chunk of people out there sub-30 that would like to play.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    why not?

well, just because a person has a leave doesn't mean they will leave in this particular game. you never know how a person will act in that game unless they have like a ridiculous amount of leaves. it is all dependent on what happens during the game. what would they do if they calculated a person's leave chance was high? pair him with other leavers?

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    schuss wrote: »
    I think they should probably revisit their rating algorithm, as you should be able to increase rank even in loss, since if you go 20/1/4 and your team is filled with mouthbreathers, it should still take that into account.
    For leavers, I think you should be allowed 1 leave a week (for system issues etc.), then be put into a separate queue that's only leavers. This would segregate the douchebag population and midgame leavers so they could only play with each other. Everyone would be happy. As it stands, it will probably take me months to get to 30, which is sad because I won't be able to play with most PA'ers.

I can't speak for others, but I prefer to only participate in ranked 5v5 when:

1. I'm playing with people who I know are highly skilled players
    2. I'm playing a champion I'm very comfortable with
    3. I'm in the mood for a highly competitive game

Seeing as how oftentimes those criteria aren't met, I've only played like 8 ranked 5v5 games since last week, and have played a couple dozen normal games.

You'll likely get to play with lots of PAers, including me. We'll just continue to do "normal" games.

Melkster on
  • Options
    jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    schuss wrote: »

This will definitely not encourage everyone to play a carry and completely screw their team at every opportunity, as long as it helps their K-D ratio.

Nope, definitely not.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    why not?

well, just because a person has a leave doesn't mean they will leave in this particular game. you never know how a person will act in that game unless they have like a ridiculous amount of leaves. it is all dependent on what happens during the game. what would they do if they calculated a person's leave chance was high? pair him with other leavers?

If someone has leaves they should just get thrown into a sort of 'bitch queue' with other players that have accumulated leaves. It wouldn't be hard to query the frequency that a player is leaving matchs and if they frequently or are on a streak of leaving then they get screwed accordingly. Not being able to play ranked games until 30 only hurts people that don't have a ton of time to play.

Fellhand on