As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shut the door. Have a seat.

• MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    roger, sal and pete are my favourite characters. I also love Bets, how she is basically a child and a clear product of the house wife brainwashing of that age.

Meissnerd on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    likeable? eh

likeable in the sense of a lesser evil

he seems creative in spite of circumstances, like he hatin this world he livin' in
    but like the clever hobo he encountered at a young age, he isn't running outta no box. he just creating his own box he lives in. that is why there's always this weird sense of tragedy on his face after he just fuckin kills it with a client. what's he doing this all for?

maybe he has developed more in the following season, gotta catch up

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've only watched about 5 episodes of season 1. I need to pick it back up.

captaink on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh don, who you fuckin' now

oh don that's pretty messed up, no matter how much you hug your kids

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Monni<3Monni<3 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Also the women are crazy fucking hot

I'm not in this show so I feel like they're lacking...

Monni<3 on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't have cable, so I was only able to watch Season 3 when the DVDs came out.

I'm strongly considering doing the iTunes "Season Pass" thing for Season 4, where you pay $30 for the whole season and watch the episodes as they come out.

Also, Cooper is one of my favorite side characters. Delightfully badass.

KalTorak on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I don't have cable, so I was only able to watch Season 3 when the DVDs came out.

I'm strongly considering doing the iTunes "Season Pass" thing for Season 4, where you pay $30 for the whole season and watch the episodes as they come out.

Cooper is great, but badass? He's funny in that 'I have a strong suspicion he might be senile' sort of way

Javen on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bert's an interesting character. Most of the time he's shown to be kind of an old weirdo, but the few times he's working he's kicking ass. But perhaps he isn't given much to do, especially with clients, is because he is kind of weird.

But
    at least he didn't vomit in front of the Nixon campaign crew.

thanimations on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

Cooper is great, but badass? He's funny in that 'I have a strong suspicion he might be senile' sort of way

He has his moments. They're rare, but he only shows up sporadically. Everyone was badass in "Shut the Door, Have a Seat," but there was also the "Would you say I know something about you, Don?" related to when he shut down Pete Campbell in Season 1.

The character plays up his eccentricity, but underneath he's a smart fucker.

KalTorak on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think he's the type who spent his whole life building that business and now just wants to kind of sit back and reap the benefits of his labor. It's like a professional chef. As they become more popular, they actually end up in the kitchen less. You can't unlearn the job, so they're still great, but they spent the past several decades with their sleeves rolled up in the thick of it. Most people work hard early, so they can take it easy later on.

Javen on
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dubh wrote: »
    Staleghoti wrote: »

hoooooooomygaaaaaawwwd

a women slowly running her hand down her body while Interpol plays in the background

alright

ung.jpg

Fire Truck on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I need to finish Season 3.

It has started off kind of slow though =/

Season 2 was so good!

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to be Don Draper.

Moral ambiguity all up ins.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    edited July 2010
    I want to be the part of Don Draper that bangs all the extremely hot ladies.

So his dick, I guess.

KalTorak on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it ain't too morally ambiguous to cheat on your wife all the time

that's pretty much clear cut wrong

Skull Man on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't say enough how awesome the season 3 finale was.

it was awesome.

Bad-Beat on
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    it ain't too morally ambiguous to cheat on your wife all the time

that's pretty much clear cut wrong

what if she is a crazy wife with the mind of a 15 year old girl?

natek on
    edited July 2010
    maybe she'd be less crazy if he weren't cheating on her all the time

Skull Man on
    edited July 2010
    maybe he wouldn't need to cheat on her if she would quit living in the 60s

natek on
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    suck it, victim of our oppressive patriarchy!

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bitches ain't shit, right Don?

Langly on
    edited July 2010
    All-out Cheat-On-Wife Contest

Don Draper

vs.

Tony Soprano

GO!!

KalTorak on
    edited July 2010
    wah wah waaaaah
    I'm betty draper
    pay attention to me
    I'm sleeping with wrinkly old men
    I'm a terrible mother and wife
    waaaaaah

natek on
    edited July 2010
    ahahahahaha

Yeah, they do treat the kids like shit. I remember when sally came running in with a plastic bag on her head.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited July 2010
    hahahahha yeah. 'SALLY YOUR HAIR'

the best secondary character was that neighbour of the drapers, the single mom with the weird son. it was hilarious to see bets judge her, as if it's her fault for not being born rich and marrying a man who cares more about his career and appearances than the health of his family.

man i remember when breaking bad was on, and i kept thinking, 'how can mad men compare to this'. but this thread reminded me of all the tiny little plot points and interactions between the characters. its really a character driven show, and watching all of them is always a treat.

Meissnerd on
    edited July 2010
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    hahahahha yeah. 'SALLY YOUR HAIR'

the best secondary character was that neighbour of the drapers, the single mom with the weird son. it was hilarious to see bets judge her, as if it's her fault for not being born rich and marrying a man who cares more about his career and appearances than the health of his family.

man i remember when breaking bad was on, and i kept thinking, 'how can mad men compare to this'. but this thread reminded me of all the tiny little plot points and interactions between the characters. its really a character driven show, and watching all of them is always a treat.

Oh man. Me too, Meiss. I remember thinking the exact same thing when Breaking Bad was running season 3. Reading over this has reminded me why I like this show so much.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited July 2010
    how about when that guy just slapped the shit out of don's son and don was like good yes this is appropriate

also, the single funniest "60s moment" for me was when they went for a picnic on that beautiful hillside and at the end just flipped all their trash off their blanket and drove away like it wasn't no thing

Skull Man on
    edited July 2010
    how about when that guy just slapped the shit out of don's son and don was like good yes this is appropriate

also, the single funniest "60s moment" for me was when they went for a picnic on that beautiful hillside and at the end just flipped all their trash off their blanket and drove away like it wasn't no thing

hahaha oh god yes.

My girlfriend was appalled when Don threw his beer can into the park, she literally gasped when they flipped the blanket over and drove off.

That episode where they had the party with all the neighbors was filled with so many wrong moments like that. Like, they would just ask the kids to go make drinks for em, then smack the shit out of them later.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited July 2010
    breaking bad is really focused on walter white and jesse, and that's it. now of course other characters play into it, but at the end of it all the show is about their decisions. mad men, on the other hand, has a huge cast, and while certain peoples decisions have an effect on other characters situations, the real driving force is the 60s setting. i really can't think of another show that has had me questioning the present day as much as mad men has.

'are african americans in the states really that much better off? do women still have to put up with that bullshit? why is it that society can only seem to deal with one social change at a time?' etc. etc.

i'm excited for this shows return.

Meissnerd on
    edited July 2010
    I totally fell for the beer can picnic blanket one-two punch too

I was all huh throwing an empty into nature that's certainly a product of a bygone agWHAT THE FUCK

Skull Man on
    edited July 2010
    I totally fell for the beer can picnic blanket one-two punch too

I was all huh throwing an empty into nature that's certainly a product of a bygone agWHAT THE FUCK

Haaahaha yeah I had the same reaction.

Also Betty and Don's go-to parenting technique is "Go upstairs!"

KalTorak on
    edited July 2010
    let's all sit down and be serenaded by Blackface McGee

Meissnerd on
    edited July 2010
    oh that Roger

he's so silly

KalTorak on
  • DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know it probably won't happen, but I am still holding out for Sal to come back. He was a great character.

At least they brought Joan back. I would have been SO UPSET

DeliciousTacos on
    edited July 2010
    sal's wife's face when he was doing the bye bye birdy dance was so great

it was like, suddenly, everything clicked into place

Skull Man on
    edited July 2010
    I'm Don Draper
    I invent ultra-successful taglines while counseling the gays about the openness of their lifestyle
    la la laaaaah

KalTorak on
    edited July 2010
    roger might be a crass motherfucker, but at least he owns up to it and is honest about it. meanwhile, don needs an excuse for everything and a reason to be a victim.

Meissnerd on
    edited July 2010
    yeah don was super cool about sal being gay

I guess he recognized another man leading a double life and decided not to comment on it

like he said to peggy, when he forgets something he really forgets it

Skull Man on
    edited July 2010
    Man your heart just broke for Sal when that European artist guy came out like it was no thing

"I have sex with the men"

KalTorak on