As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] The new [Chat Thread] full of chatalysmic puns

• PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, dang. That was awesome, haha.

Pirusu on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How many expansions until Sylvanas forms a splinter faction of hostile Forsaken and player Forsaken get a new faction leader?

JJ on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Just buy a high ilevel trinket or two and equip them until the raid starts killing stuff, then switch them out.

I did this with PvP stuff - just bought totems and trinkets and it pushed me above 5K, and then switched out to my actual gear. . .because apperantly the floaty number is what's important to the GS Nazi's, not what someone actually has on.

And, what can only be the universe smiling on me - qued for Random Normals as DPS, instead of as a tank, get tossed into ToC that's in progress, on first boss, and proceed to get a hand, leg upgrade, as well as The Black Heart to drop. I seriously couldn't believe it.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't care so much about gearscore because it isn't that hard to get up to around 5k or so, and then you're fine to get into most raids.

It's more annoying in heroics when people with higher-end gear play like everyone around them does. Like, hey, ret paladin in 264s? My resto set isn't good enough to keep you up while you try and dps through lightning nova. Hey, ret paladin who queued as a "healer?" I understand that works when you are healing your ICC main tank through the daily, but it works less well for my druid who is still in mostly T7.

edit: I guess my problem is really with dumbass ret paladins

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    edit: I guess my problem is really with dumbass ret paladins

It does seem like ret paladin is an idiot magnet these days.

Magic Radio on
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sorry I'm late guys, was just goblin down my dinner.

wusoldjr on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JJ wrote: »
    How many expansions until Sylvanas forms a splinter faction of hostile Forsaken and player Forsaken get a new faction leader?

You mean when all existing Forsaken players will be converted into the new Horde race, Quillboars?

Two expansions.

Henroid on
  • AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Hey guys, I don't play WoW anymore but I was wondering if anyone could give me an update on the plot developments since vanilla WoW? I watched some cinematics on youtube that gave me an idea of what's happened, but nothing solid. Googling it brings up information for the movie.
    TBC: Alliance and Horde return to Draenor through the Dark Portal. They find a shattered world under assault from the Burning Legion. Illidan has built a stronghold on this world as well and is marshalling his forces, fearing the retribution of Kil'Jaeden for his failure to kill Arthas. Kael'thas is here as well....up to no good.

Fel Orcs have a stronghold in Hellfire peninsula...empowered with the blood of a captured pitlord, Magtheridon, and they serve Illidan.

Illidan's naga allies have a stronghold in Zangarmarsh swamp where they're draining the waters to create a new Well of Eternity.

The Blood Elves(new player race) who didn't side with Kael'thas have been rebuilding Silvermoon and trying to fend off the Scourge. Since it's apparent Kael'thas has abandoned them, they join the Horde. It's later discovered the Blood Elven order of paladins have captured a Naaru(an immensely powerful crystalline being of Light) and are tapping his power in order to empower their paladins. Long story short....they learn the errors of their ways and become true paladins eventually.

Some of the elves who followed Kael'thas to Outland become disillusioned and defect, becoming the Scryer faction in Outland.

Kael'thas, seeking a new source of power to fuel the magic addiction of him and his people, has sided with Burning Legion. Using ships captured from the Draenei he is attempting to siphon the very energy of Draenor itself, shattering the world further. After his defeat at Tempest Keep he shows up at the Sunwell and attempts to summon Kil'Jaeden into the world. The Naaru the Blood Elves had captured shows up here as well having fallen to darkness. Queue a serious ass kicking...Kael'thas is defeated and Kil'Jaeden is prevented from fully entering the world.

The Draenei(new player race)....good Eredar who did not join the Burning Legion...stole one of the ships Kael'thas had commandeered. Due to sabotage they crashland on Azeroth and end up joining the Alliance.

Eventually players defeat the threats in Outland...stopping the Burning Legion, Illidan, Kael, and the naga and fel orcs and return home to Azeroth where the Lich King is becoming much more active.

The Alliance and Horde forces head to Northrend to fight Arthas on his homeground. They find new allies, new enemies, lots of Titan artifacts and structures, and tons of Scourge. The Horde forces are led by the bloodthirsty Garosh Hellscream(you may remember him as that emo, whiny orc brat in Nagrand who never appreciated all the stuff you did for him).

Naxxramas is here, recalled by the Lich King to lay siege to an Alliance fortress.

The Scarlet Crusade is here, unwitting pawns of the dreadlord Mal'Ganis who hopes to use them against the Lich King. The Argent Dawn is present....now called the Argent Crusade...led by Tirion Fordring and here to fight the Scourge and bring an end to the Lich King. Death Knights(new playable class) who have broken free of the Lich King's control are here as well...seeking vengeance against their former master.

Players also find an Old God who is breaking free of it's prison and attempting to corrupt and subvert anything it can(including some of the Titan's servants who were left to watch over things). The earthen remain loyal to the Titans and steadfast in their given task but the Iron Dwarves have fallen to the Old God, Yogg Saron and they're up to all sorts of mischief.

The trolls of the Drakkari Empire, in a misguided attempt to fend off the Scourge and preserve their empire.... slew their gods in order to empower themselves. Not working out for them.

The Vrykul....a norse inspired viking type race that rever the Lich King as a death god and serve him are all over the place. They're apparently the progenitors of the human race on Azeroth. They've been asleep until recently. The Val'Kyr are female vrykul who have been found worthy and empowered by the Lich king. They are akin to the Valkyrie of norse legends. They judge vyrkul and decide which is worthy of the Lich King's gifts and which shall serve as mindless undead. They serve as arbiters and judges, fearsome guardians of the spirit world, and enforcers of the Lich King's will.

Malygos, the Blue Dragon Aspect, has started a war against the mortal races...seeking to eradicate uncontrolled use of arcane magic and if that means eradicating the mortal races so be it. He doesn't seem to have a problem with killing members of the other dragonflights to achieve his ends either.

The Lich King is thrilled with this development since it just means more bodies for his army and undead dragons are a nice unit to have.

The Black Dragon flight has continued to experiment with genetic manipulation of dragonkind, creating the Twilight Flight of dragons. The infinite dragon flight is still interfering with the timeline....and apparently being led by Nozdormu, the bronze dragon Aspect and guardian of Time.

King Varian Wrynn returns to reclaim the throne of Stormwind. He's not a very happy person. Bolvar Fordragon goes off to war. He will suffer a terrible fate. Saurfang's son does as well in the same battle.

Renegades within the Forsaken, led by the supposed defeated dreadlord Varimathras, betray the Horde/Alliance forces at a critical moment in Northrend, forcing the Lich King's retreat and decimating the Alliance and Horde forces gathered to fight him. Varimathras captures the Undercity, intent on summoning his master through a portal. Players are called upon to help recapture the city and stop him.

The players progress through Northrend, eventually assaulting Icecrown Citadel itself. It is here that the ultimate fate Saurfang jr. and Bolvar Fordragon is discovered.

Frostmourne is shattered. The Lich King is eventually slain. The king is dead. Long live the king. It is explained that so long as there is a Scourge army there must be a Lich King to control them. The animated, fiery corpse of Bolvar dons the helmet and becomes the new Lich King. He promises to be a good boy. Probably not a good idea in the long run.

In the deep places of the world, Deathwing stirs. The end of the world comes....
    (queue next expansion)

Thank you, that actually cleared a lot up for me.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That isn't exactly what is going on with the blood elves/kael/n'aarus, but it's close enough I spose.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I left out a few details but that's the basic gist of it.

Poketpixie on
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Illidan's naga allies have a stronghold in Zangarmarsh swamp where they're draining the waters to create a new Well of Eternity.

Ah, so that's what the naga are up to. I don't think it was ever specifically mentioned why they were stealing all the water (although I only ever did lurker in SSC, so maybe they talked about it there). I always thought it was a metaphor for the water wars between southern california and Arizona.

But why did they need so much water to make a well of eternity? Couldn't they have taken a normal well and, dunno, made that eternal?

dojango on
    edited July 2010
    I guess it has to be a certain size to reach critical mass? Dunno.

Poketpixie on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's especially funny if you've seen the actual Well that's under the World Tree.

Henroid on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did we ever account for all the Vials of Eternity that Illidan was supposed to have? I know we took the ones he had given to the naga and Kael'thas and handed them over to the Bronze Dragons, but wasn't Illidan supposed to have some more?

Lars on
    edited July 2010
    According to WoWiki he had seven vials. He used three to create the Well on top of Hyjal. He gave one to Vashj and one to Kael. That leaves two unaccounted for.

Poketpixie on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sure Blizzard will remember them for something cool, but then miscount and there will be one extra somehow and try to retcon it.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    End wrote: »
    I'm sure Blizzard will remember them for something cool, but then miscount and there will be one extra somehow and try to retcon it.

They'll have to publish a new book to cover the retcon. It will most likely be written by Knaack.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why does it matter how many vials there are? Theres now a whole new well to take as much water from as you like.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    edited July 2010
    After drinking a few beers I got a pretty good buzz going on. I decided to roll an Orc shaman on Dark Iron and mail my caster heirlooms to it.

It's funny seeing, " Lazy Peon says: Ow! Ok, I'll get back to work, Suplex!"

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    This has more to do with GearScore being the burning spawn of satan,
    I hate gearscore so much

I wish Blizzard would just break the damn addon, all it does is make 87.5% of the people who use it think that they know how good a person is at a game by what gear they're wearing in said game, regardless what class/spec they are. I seriously think there would be less lag sometimes during prime-time also if said 87.5% of people didn't have an addon spamming the server for arbitrary numbers so they can decide to run Naxx with others who have a 5k GS (which is the requirement for Naxx amirite?)O_o

Yes, I agree gearscore is good for someone who knows how to use it and to what extent, but the world would be better off without it.

Aeyther on
    edited July 2010
    After drinking a few beers I got a pretty good buzz going on. I decided to roll an Orc shaman on Dark Iron and mail my caster heirlooms to it.

You rolled Horde on Dark Iron? TRAITOR.

Henroid on
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

You rolled Horde on Dark Iron? TRAITOR.

9 alliance to 1 horde, it's not so bad.

Beyond Normal on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Worgen Freeman?
    Seth Worgen?
    Volksworgen?

Teenworgen

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What does the Worgen Mount look like?

Brainleech on
    edited July 2010
    I forgot how slow things are when you don't have a mount. But so far my shaman is doing well; level 10 and just got to Razorhill.

Beyond Normal on
    edited July 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »

An orc.

Henroid on
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

An orc.

Is it wrong to be turned on a little by the thought of that?

Magic Radio on
    edited July 2010

An orc.

Is it wrong to be turned on a little by the thought of that?

If that's wrong then boy, I don't wanna be right.

Beyond Normal on
  • NambkabNambkab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So tonight I was able to finally kill Lich King Heroic 25man for my first ever Realm First Feat of Strength....from my friend's dk as a tank. I'm both elated and disappointed all at the same time.

Nambkab on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

More seriously, its a giant boar-pig thing isn't it?

LockeCole on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That was the concept art we saw at Blizzcon, but whether they've stuck with that design is anyone's guess.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like Blizz figured out that 2-second talented Soul Fires that give 15% haste and leave a 30% dot were a tad OP

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aeyther wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    This has more to do with GearScore being the burning spawn of satan,
    I hate gearscore so much

I wish Blizzard would just break the damn addon, all it does is make 87.5% of the people who use it think that they know how good a person is at a game by what gear they're wearing in said game, regardless what class/spec they are. I seriously think there would be less lag sometimes during prime-time also if said 87.5% of people didn't have an addon spamming the server for arbitrary numbers so they can decide to run Naxx with others who have a 5k GS (which is the requirement for Naxx amirite?)O_o

Yes, I agree gearscore is good for someone who knows how to use it and to what extent, but the world would be better off without it.

Blizzard has broken gear score, by making the requirement for top tier epics do a random heroic daily and zerg down a boss that wasn't hard 15 months ago once a week. In TBC if you saw someone rocking Sunwell loot you knew that were good, now having 5/5 t10 just means you're patient/lucky(VOA), not that you have a clue what you are doing.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JJ wrote: »

The clearest sign of this happening is when they introduce a named Forsaken NPC who takes active role in Forsaken business. When that happens, the new guy will be the new leader of the Forsaken once Sylvanas goes full-on evil.

reVerse on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But... that already happened, his name was Grand Apothecary Putress. That sure didn't last long!

Dehumanized on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    I dunno about full-on evil, as Blizzard said she was under pressure to prove herself after the shitstorm that was the Battle for the Undercity.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But... that already happened, his name was Grand Apothecary Putress. That sure didn't last long!

All he did was stand about during the pre-Wrath event quest line in TBC, have an appearance in the Wrathgate cutscene and then get killed by Varian Wrynn as I stood by and auto-attacked.

And I obviously meant in the future, now that Sylvanas is getting her evil on.

reVerse on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just re-subbed this morning on one of those 10-day trials to try out WotLK. I had done it about a year and a half ago but it was a busy time and didn't really have a chance to look around. But today I hit 68 on my lock and did some quests in northrend. I want a woolly rhino mount so fucking bad. I don't know if they exist in mount form or not, nor can I explain my need, but it is there.

Also, it turns out my server (Andorhal) is now a low pop server. This makes me sad.

Foolish Chaos on
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like Gearscore. In pugs I use it as a tool to decide if scrubs are undergeared or underskilled. I don't like bitching out the new 80's. I do like bitching out the 5k GS DKs that can't pull 2k. Also it's a barometer for my own dps - if someone is close in GS, it's an obligation to me that I beat them in DPS. It did me a lot of good to see where my dps was relative to similarly geared players.
    In raids, it is a lot faster to filter on GS than to pull up an armory for each attendee. The biggest problem I see is that pre-icc gear puts your number right below a big round number, so whereas lots of people would be fine in icc with 4900 gear, they're not going to get the spot. It sucks, but from the other side if I can easily get random dudes w/ 5300gs, I'm not going to take a dude with 4900.
    There's a lot of dickbag ways to use the addon, but it's not like there's a shortage of ways to be a dickbag in wow. Overall it improves the game.

Madpoet on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm missing out on 132 Strength now because of my subpar trades on my DK. Missing 2 Bold Cardinals in my Bryntroll because they are going for 188g on my server right now, and then i have a necklace that needs a gem, and when i get BSing up im gonna have 2 more slots. And then i blow a few thousand gold getting JCing up for some 32str Gems.

I feel so scrubby!

Saban on
    371839-1.png
This discussion has been closed.