As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anyone ever fix a DS Lite cracked hinge? What do I need?

VeganVegan Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, I did it. My first DS Lite cracked hinge. Tossed my DS down on a bed from a height of just a few inches while it was open, it snapped back to that second "what-is-that-even-for" open position that you're not supposed to use because it'll crack your hinge.

It's out of warranty so I'm thinking about fixing it. It's more than cosmetic. It won't stay shut of its own volition: if you turned it upside-down it would pathetically swing open. It also clicks several times, both audibly and in a tactile sense, when you open and close it, but doesn't satisfactorily click to the proper "open" viewing angle.

Anyone ever dealt with this? I see two types of replacement parts online: shells and hinges. Shells are just the outer casing that cost about 20 dollars; this would fix the actual crack. Hinges are just a couple little internal do-dads that cost a couple of bucks; I'm not sure if these require replacing. Do I need both? Do I need only one?

What if I just very carefully super-glue the crack closed? Will that work, or does something internally need to be repaired? I don't want to glue this thing shut only to realize that the lid still won't stay closed and then I'm screwed.

This is pretty bad timing, since I'm taking my DS to Comic Con for Dragon Quest 9 Tag Moding, and I'm going to have to rubber band it shut or something.

steam_sig.png
Vegan on

• corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You might get away with just gluing it. If you're replacing the shell, you'll need a decent screwdriver set (either a #0 or #00 phillips and a small tri-wing). You should only need the shell, not the hinges.

corky842 on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought this was one of those situations where they extended the repair warranty to fix?

GPIA7R on
  • Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As someone who recently did a shell replacement, be aware that looking at the ribbon cable in the left hinge the wrong way will completely screw up your top screen. Also keep your work area completely clean, as there are enough tiny metal bits floating around to short out something on the DS's board if you're not careful. Also, if you do not have the proper tri-wing screwdriver and are dead set on not ordering one, a 1.4mm flathead will do the trick as long as it has enough torque.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, I'll try the shell replacement. I'll be careful and look at as many pictures and videos as I can before starting. The risks are fine, I've fixed enough PCs to know that no matter what happens, you come away with useful knowledge for the next time. I was ready to just buy a new one, anyway.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Honestly, if it still works, why drop cash on a new one?

Unless you need an excuse to upgrade to a DSi...

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Honestly, if it still works, why drop cash on a new one?

Unless you need an excuse to upgrade to a DSi...

Because it is unplayable in its current state, unless you consider having to continually hold the top screen satisfactory.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it's a little hard to explain unless you've handled a DS with a broken hinge before. It really kills it. I have to close it so very slowly and carefully, I can't carry it in my pocket (which I do every day) anymore because it'll open halfway, it doesn't stay open at the proper angle.... all sorts of shit.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • mbannickmbannick Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah yes I remember buying a launch unit and getting this problem about a month after. Luckily I was persistent enough on the phone and got a replacement. About a year ago I messed up my ds by removing a game while it was on (blew a fuse) so I had to take it apart. For the most part it's simple and straight forward. As long as you take your time and keep track of your screws/springs you should be fine. Some things you should look out for are:

1.) the springs in the shoulder buttons (they like to shoot out into oblivion) just make sure you're slow and careful with this step.
    2.) the power switch (I managed to break this part while putting my ds back together) just make sure it lines up and you don't force anything back together.
    3.) the ribbon cable for the screen (note how it's curled up around the hinge, it will make things a lot easier when putting the unit back together).
    If you watch for the things mentioned above you should be fine.
    4.) the rubber pads on the bottom (you will have to lift them up to get to screws behind them) put em on some wax paper or something and keep em in an easy to find place.

Anyway the first thing to do would to find a nice guide (with PICTURES!) through google or a good nintendo community (just find one you understand the best). Take a look at that and study it for a while and make sure you are comfortable with the process. Next thing you should do is get a triwing screwdriver (like a philips head but shaped like a "Y") you should be able to find them on certain game parts/repair sites or ebay (should cost around $1-2).
    Also have a small philips head screw driver (doesn't have to be microscopic or anything, just small). Next is a replacement case. These should be easy to find (again CERTAIN websites should have them around $20) just make sure it's a decent one that looks closest to the original (reviews should be a good indication).

Alright, by now you should have everything you need and are ready to go. Just take it slow and follow the directions you have.

mbannick on
    edited July 2010
    Well, luckily, I'm only replacing the lid. The bottom half is staying.

I have the crimson red/black two-tone DS.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png