As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First Year PAX

• Options
    MolotovMolotov Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My son, 8, is a mini gamer. Would it be appropriate to take him along with me (also my first time)? He loves everything from Lego games to Rockband to Halo, he definately gets the culture, just don't want to overwhelm him with 3 days of madness.

Thanks!

Molotov on
    "I must've broke a mirror at three and had bad luck for seven
    Cuz pops slid, and mommy died before I turned eleven" -50cent
  • Options
    ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Molotov wrote: »
    My son, 8, is a mini gamer. Would it be appropriate to take him along with me (also my first time)? He loves everything from Lego games to Rockband to Halo, he definately gets the culture, just don't want to overwhelm him with 3 days of madness.

Thanks!

Well man, Ive seen a lot of parents with their kids at PAX, not counting our own Gabe and Tycho.

I suppose it could become overwhelming, but thankfully there are a lot of places in and around and outside the convention center that you can sit down and relax at.

My recommendation (And Im not a doctor, so dont take this to heart):

Bring some of that Airborne stuff, and both of you should be chugging that like it's water from the well of Eternity. ConSARS isnt fun as an adult, so it shouldnt be a picnic for kids either.

That's just my 0.02.

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seriously considering going for the first time this year, though it will be solo (cheap ass friends). Sounds like it's not terrible by yourself, which I like.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Thanks!
    If 3 days of it does get overwhelming, just do something else for the third day. During the convention, as was mentioned, there are plenty of places to relax - beanbag chairs are all over the place, including some quiet areas, and there's a park just out the back of the convention center. Keep in mind you'll need to pay full price for a pass for him (they let 6-and-unders in for free).

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    .Ko.Ko Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This will be my first PAX, and in fact my first visit to the US. Really wanted to go last year but couldn't make it due to finances. >.<

I'm attending mainly because of GW2 & the swag, and I want to meet some people from A-net. No idea how any of this works, but now that I've got my 3 day pass I guess there's time to figure that out. XD

My biggest concern right now is finding an affordable hotel. x_x

Anyone else going for the first time because of GW2?

.Ko on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Thanks!
    You may not be able to do/see everything you would normally do if you did not have a kid with you, but if you make him the priority and see the con from a kid's point of view, then I think it would quite an incredibly experience for him.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    createacatcreateacat CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My first year coming to PAX. We are driving from central coast California. Staying at the westin seattle.

Can anyone tell me if they allow backpacks into PAX?

Thanks!

createacat on
    https://twitter.com/createacat1
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '11, '12, '13 / PAX East Attendee: / PAX Aus Attendee:

My Digital Pin Lanyard
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I believe so - I had a drawstring bag the entire time and nobody said a word. However, if it's a huge backpack that impedes traffic flow, it would probably be frowned upon.

Heleor on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Indeed, backpacks are in fact very common, as long as you're thinking "school bookbag" and not "hiking backpack with metal frame."

Even a hiking backpack with a metal frame is probably OK, as long as nothing is mounted on it that will do what Heleor warned about.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    qwhackerqwhacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm wondering about pills (legitimate, not drugs) being brought in. They're prescription, but I usually don't carry a copy of it with me. I know I've had issues bringing them into warped tour before, so I thought I'd check if there was any restrictions here

qwhacker on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, they don't search you or anything, no bag checks. Just too many people / too many access points for that.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    qwhackerqwhacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, they don't search you or anything, no bag checks. Just too many people / too many access points for that.

perfect. I guess that makes sense, especially thinking of all the swag and stuff

qwhacker on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I would definitely carry a copy of the prescription just in case, or at least keep them in a valid prescription container. Just in case the unthinkable happens, you wouldn't want a controlled substance possession charge that might keep you away from PAX while the details are sorted out.

(From a story I remember reading from one of the other Enforcers' personal blogs)

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    Aidan_Aidan_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Coming off the question about prescriptions:

My brother, sister-in-law and I will be attending a PAX for the first time this year, after four years of stalled plans.

We were going to attend the first PAX East since they both live in Massachusetts, but a car accident in November put the kibosh on that.

They're both able to get about now, but are still recovering from injuries.

Does anybody have experience attending with folks who have limited mobility or need to get around with a wheelchair and the like?

Also, we'll be crashing in my newly-rented apartment for the con. Is it a better to take the bus or drive-and-park? I realize that's probably a tougher question to answer since this year's at a different convention center.

Aidan_ on
    Do what now?

"I aim to misbehave."
    - Capt. Mal Reynolds
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Limited mobility: wheelchairs are absolutely well-supported, though your first few hours at PAX you might have to learn the location of some slightly-concealed elevators. Lesser mobility problems can certainly be worked around, if we're talking crutches or even just being unable to stand for long periods of time. There are medical badges available which, when combined with a valid PAX badge, gets you some assistance with lines. (If a line is already full to capacity -- no new people can line up -- the medical badge doesn't help you. But if a line is still admitting people, you can check in with an Enforcer for that theater, and they can help you plus one helper get into the theater as soon as the doors open, ahead of the line.)

I come in from out of town so I don't know about the bus system, but I do know that signs advertising parking near the convention center seem to advertise shockingly high rates. It depends on the public transit system's hours, how late into the evening you want to stay at PAX, and how much you are willing to spend to stay at PAX after the transit system stops running.

Speaking of, there are many attendees who stay all the way to closing, cross the street to their hotel room and sleep a bare minimum of hours, and then get up and line up for opening again. One of the main points of PAX -- the thing that makes it so much more amazing than first-time attendees can even imagine, that keeps people coming back religiously year after year -- is the culture and calibre of your fellow attendees. There's certainly entertaining things to do all through the end of the night, with PC and console freeplay and a [plug] well stocked tabletop game lending library [/plug], but you'll be surprised how enjoyable it is to just meet people and play games with them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if your budget says you have to take the cheap option and not park or get a nearby hotel room ($$$!), then that's what you have to do. But if you lock yourself into leaving early in the evening, you might regret that decision later.

mspencer on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First year at PAX here, coming from massachusetts (ironically, I couldn't make PAX east with junior year of high school in full swing).

I'm hyping myself up for a solo run and the opportunity to meet so many fellow forumers.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    Aidan_Aidan_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    Limited mobility: wheelchairs are absolutely well-supported, though your first few hours at PAX you might have to learn the location of some slightly-concealed elevators. Lesser mobility problems can certainly be worked around, if we're talking crutches or even just being unable to stand for long periods of time. There are medical badges available which, when combined with a valid PAX badge, gets you some assistance with lines. (If a line is already full to capacity -- no new people can line up -- the medical badge doesn't help you. But if a line is still admitting people, you can check in with an Enforcer for that theater, and they can help you plus one helper get into the theater as soon as the doors open, ahead of the line.)

I come in from out of town so I don't know about the bus system, but I do know that signs advertising parking near the convention center seem to advertise shockingly high rates. It depends on the public transit system's hours, how late into the evening you want to stay at PAX, and how much you are willing to spend to stay at PAX after the transit system stops running.

Speaking of, there are many attendees who stay all the way to closing, cross the street to their hotel room and sleep a bare minimum of hours, and then get up and line up for opening again. One of the main points of PAX -- the thing that makes it so much more amazing than first-time attendees can even imagine, that keeps people coming back religiously year after year -- is the culture and calibre of your fellow attendees. There's certainly entertaining things to do all through the end of the night, with PC and console freeplay and a [plug] well stocked tabletop game lending library [/plug], but you'll be surprised how enjoyable it is to just meet people and play games with them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if your budget says you have to take the cheap option and not park or get a nearby hotel room ($$$!), then that's what you have to do. But if you lock yourself into leaving early in the evening, you might regret that decision later.

Thanks for the advice! I'll give them the heads-up to get medical badges.

It looks like the best thing for us to do will just be to park. It couldn't be more expensive than a hotel downtown.

Aidan_ on
    Do what now?

"I aim to misbehave."
    - Capt. Mal Reynolds
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    True, just be prepared to pay like $30 or $40 per day. FAR cheaper than a hotel room, even if you split it several ways.

mspencer on
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I drive down from north seattle and in my experience friday is expensive (I want to say about thirty bucks last year) while saturday and sunday are like a third of that. It's about a 10-15 minute drive from my house versus about an hour on the bus though.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    HoneydewHoneydew Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First time PAX attendee who can't freaking wait until September gets here. I'm a student at UO in Eugene, and figured that since this fall will be my last year of school in the Pacific Northwest, I should definitely hit up PAX. I bought my tickets after the three-day passes sold out (oops!), so I'm going to PAX itself on Friday and Sunday (wanted to see the opening ceremony and hopefully the final round of the Omegathon), but decided to leave my Saturday open to see some other sights around Seattle... sad I won't be at PAX all three days, but excited to hopefully see the Space Needle and Pike Place Market! I didn't really have a question, just wanted to drop in and say 'hello.' =)

Honeydew on
  • Options
    ZyvZyv Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Hi!

First PAX, and my first PA forums post. Hooray! I have a question about queues- not the demigods (Qs), but the kind we don't jump.

I'd like to attend some of the concerts, but I've read the forum on the PAX changes, keynote, and wristbands at least three times...and I don't get it. Do we need to request concert admission wristbands elsewhere if we can't make the keynote? To make things even more complicated, I'm arriving in Seattle on Friday morning, so I don't think I can show up too early. Are there signs or something for the concert lines?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, and thanks very much for the help!

Zyv on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Zyv wrote: »
    Hi!

First PAX, and my first PA forums post. Hooray! I have a question about queues- not the demigods (Qs), but the kind we don't jump.

I'd like to attend some of the concerts, but I've read the forum on the PAX changes, keynote, and wristbands at least three times...and I don't get it. Do we need to request concert admission wristbands elsewhere if we can't make the keynote? To make things even more complicated, I'm arriving in Seattle on Friday morning, so I don't think I can show up too early. Are there signs or something for the concert lines?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, and thanks very much for the help!

Wrist bands for the concerts are handed out friday and saturday morning to people who line up early to get into PAX. Some people have mentioned getting leftovers from the info booth later in the day, but I wouldn't bank on it. If you want a wrist band, line up early.

However, you don't NEED a wrist band to get into the concerts. The way it works is that everyone with wrist bands can line up early for the shows, and they're guaranteed access. If there is room in the concert hall after that, everyone else is let in. Which, so far, has happened every time.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    ZyvZyv Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Thank you! That clears it right up! Sounds like I'll need to look for the line on Friday, but can hopefully grab a wristband Saturday. :)

Zyv on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First PAX for me, and also first for the boyfriend (eccooo the dolphin). Soooo looking forward to this.

I've never even been to a convention of this sort ever. I know that I will be overwhelmed, but so much fun!!!

I hope.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    _Mattman__Mattman_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm planning on attending the PAX East in March (first time!) and I was wondering if there's any sort of first-timer, newbie D&D table. I've wanted to try it for a while but haven't had the chance.

_Mattman_ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StarlingStarling Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    First time attendee ... Can't wait to go!

Starling on
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is my first year going to PAX and I can't wait! Because of a couple medical issues I dread the long lines though. I have seen mention of getting a medical pass but no info on what is required for proof or who to talk to? I'm hoping this is something doable ahead of time so I can get the proper documentation from my doctor.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    DruVirusDruVirus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Thanks!

If your son loves games, your son will love PAX. Panels and the like aside, which is one of my favorite parts of the con but is understandably boring for children, there'll be more than enough to do. From the Expo Hall where he can play games that haven't even come out yet to the Handheld Lounge where he can borrow games to play on DS/PSP to the concerts, I'm sure he'll have a great time.

More than the actual games itself at this con is the entire atmosphere. It's the energy in the air of people who have mutual love for something getting together and doing it. If he's a fan of Rock Band, he'll love the entire Rock Band set-up they have on-stage for people to play. And one thing we gamers love is getting others into our passion of games -- especially the young ones. Watching an eight year get on stage and try to play some Rock Band with his dad would, for me, be both a highlight of PAX and the epitome of what PAX represents.
    .Ko wrote: »
    This will be my first PAX, and in fact my first visit to the US. Really wanted to go last year but couldn't make it due to finances. >.<

I'm attending mainly because of GW2 & the swag, and I want to meet some people from A-net. No idea how any of this works, but now that I've got my 3 day pass I guess there's time to figure that out. XD

My biggest concern right now is finding an affordable hotel. x_x

Anyone else going for the first time because of GW2?

If you're concerned about a hotel room, why not try out at a hotel share on these forums? I did it for PAX East this past year and it worked out perfectly. Met some great people who let me grab some floor and I ended up paying, I believe, it came to $110 ($116 CAD) for three nights. If you don't mind meeting new people and staying with them for a few nights, it's a great choice. I only really interacted with them in passing, really, as well. They were gone by the time I woke up and I got in when they were already sleeping. There's also some great hostel's in Seattle if you want to check that out (a few of my Canadian friends from PAX East are doing that).

DruVirus on
    Virus ; COLOR="Green"]!Chikorita Gold[/COLOR] -- PAX East PokeCrawl
    COLOR="Blue"]!Ravenclaw[/COLOR] House -- PAX Prime Tri-Wizard Drinking
    PAX Pokemon League Dark Gym Leader
    [Enforcer]
  • Options
    em0tionalprayerem0tionalprayer Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I am going to PAX for the first time this year with my boyfriend. To be honest I'm not really a gamer, I play a little WoW and a few console games but that's about it. Any other girls just tagging along with their boyfriends?

em0tionalprayer on
  • Options
    Majikman13Majikman13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hello all!

Official PAX newbie here. Not a Penny Arcade newbie, just a PAX newbie! I am quite excited about spending some time in the console free play area, but was wondering if there was much of a fighting game scene at past PAXes? I am trying to gauge if I should bring my arcade stick to the con or leave it at home. Also, what is the atmosphere of the free play area? Can PAX attendees bring a copy of a game to play in the free play area, or is this frowned upon?

Can't wait till Sept.

Majikman13 on
    3ox279s0939n.png
  • Options
    ZecroZecro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hardly ever visit the forums here at Penny Arcade, never really played that many video games, am only slightly interested in TCGs, but could be up for some tabletop/board games.

I'm going to PAX because it seemed like a huge failure on my part not to, despite living in the area. Also I am a huge nerd (but mostly of the Internet kind).

What should I do to get the most out of PAX? The only thing I'm really looking forward to is the Anamanaguchi concert and maybe getting some PAX-exclusive items.

Zecro on
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zecro wrote: »
    I hardly ever visit the forums here at Penny Arcade, never really played that many video games, am only slightly interested in TCGs, but could be up for some tabletop/board games.

I'm going to PAX because it seemed like a huge failure on my part not to, despite living in the area. Also I am a huge nerd (but mostly of the Internet kind).

What should I do to get the most out of PAX? The only thing I'm really looking forward to is the Anamanaguchi concert and maybe getting some PAX-exclusive items.

Eh hit up the panels that interest you. A large number are on games but a number are on comics and internet/geek culture Try some community events meet up with other pax people. Pretty much go in with not much of a plan do what looks fun and try to be social.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    ginsusamuraiginsusamurai Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This will be my first year at PAX, but I am a veteran con attendee. My friend went last year and returned with such tales of adventure and excitement that I have to go see for myself. The SoCal cons have been over run by commercialism, and I seek a deeper connection with my fellow game enthusiasts. I am looking forward to checking out the epic panels and exciting new game frontiers I have heard so much about. Or just getting drunk and playing a bunch of Rockband. Same ol' weekend, different state!

ginsusamurai on
  • Options
    LegendaryLegendary Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Hi all, newcomer to both the PA forums and PAX in general.

I have been a fan of PA for a long time. This year, the planets have aligned in such a way that I find myself moving out to Redmond, which soon came the revelation that I would be close enough to attend PAXPrime!!!

This will be my first convention ever! I have been reading all of your advice on these forums and look forward to meeting all of you come September.

However, I was wondering...where do I park my car? I haven't been to Seattle yet and will be moving there in mid-August. Can any locals direct me or feel like they are willing to message me details?

Also, can anyone tell me what tabletop RPGs are we likely to see at PAX? Advice on which general events I should participate in? What kind of Pre and Post PAX events I might be inclined to attend?

Legendary on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Personally, I would recommend taking the bus from Redmond, particularly if you are going on Friday during rush hour - driving from Redmond to Seattle means crossing Lake Washington over one of two bridges (the 520 bridge or the I-90 bridge), which can be a horrible, horrible experience during rush hour.

But, if you really wanna drive, there are a number of parking garages in the area - a few examples are, an official Convention Center garage, a garage right next to Gameworks (GW is kitty-corner from the Convention center), a garage across the street from Gameworks, a garage at Pacific Place Mall a block away from the Convention Center, etc. Prices for parking will range from $8 to like $16, depending on the garage and how long you are parking there.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I live up in lake forest park and I drive to pax. It's a ~15 minute drive versus an hour on the bus for me (so yeah the cost of parking is worth it to me.)

I've parked in the union square garage (take the elevator up and you're at the back entrance of the convention center) and at the actual convention center lot. Most parking garages in the area seem to be pretty similar in price (which if memory serves is ~$30 on fridays, like half that on weekends, but don't hold me to it.)

If you're lucky you can find street parking for cheaper, but driving around looking for it isn't worth it to me.

This year I'm thinking of parking at benaroya hall just so there won't be a long walk uphill to my truck waiting for me after the concerts.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    wideheavyloadwideheavyload Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Question, are there table tennis tournaments at PAX? I need to know whether to pack my racket or not :)

wideheavyload on
    The truth will set your teeth free.
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There will be no table tennis games at PAX, worry not, your racket may rest this day.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Legendary wrote: »
    Hi all, newcomer to both the PA forums and PAX in general.

I have been a fan of PA for a long time. This year, the planets have aligned in such a way that I find myself moving out to Redmond, which soon came the revelation that I would be close enough to attend PAXPrime!!!

This will be my first convention ever! I have been reading all of your advice on these forums and look forward to meeting all of you come September.

However, I was wondering...where do I park my car? I haven't been to Seattle yet and will be moving there in mid-August. Can any locals direct me or feel like they are willing to message me details?

Also, can anyone tell me what tabletop RPGs are we likely to see at PAX? Advice on which general events I should participate in? What kind of Pre and Post PAX events I might be inclined to attend?

Tabletop thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=120490

There are also threads for the Magical Mystery Tour which is Wednesday and Thursday, the Pre-PAX Dinner and Triwizard Tournament pub crawl on Thursday night, and the post-PAX party at the Taphouse Sunday night. I plan to be at all of them LOL.

basicallygeek on
  • Options
    FrostfellFrostfell Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Try not to spend too much time in the exhibition hall- its cool to play some of the new and upcoming games, but I missed out on a lot of the smaller happenings throughout the day last year because I spent almost my entire time in the main hall.

This will be my second PAX, and I plan to diversify!

Frostfell on
This discussion has been closed.