As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect Thread: LegionOverlordEDI3way.txt

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    so because of mass effect I am playing through kotor for the first time

it is so good and I want to go back in time and beat my young self up for not getting it sooner

KOTOR is great. KOTOR2 is notsogreat. If you loved the heck out of KOTOR, give it a shot...just be aware it's a different team, a different experience, and frankly, not quite as fun. Part of the problem is that they bit off a bit more than they could chew, so there's a lot of unfinished stuff there.

p.sure it wasnt more than they could chew, so much as the publisher being pricks about releasing it when they wanted done or not, and going so far as to disallowed the release of patches after release.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KoToR 2 is all better-than average plot, better-than-average writing and then some of the best characters/character development you'll find in a game ever. But the gameplay itself isn't anything to write home about. It's just KoToR 1 but buggier.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

it is so good and I want to go back in time and beat my young self up for not getting it sooner

KOTOR is great. KOTOR2 is notsogreat. If you loved the heck out of KOTOR, give it a shot...just be aware it's a different team, a different experience, and frankly, not quite as fun. Part of the problem is that they bit off a bit more than they could chew, so there's a lot of unfinished stuff there.

p.sure it wasnt more than they could chew, so much as the publisher being pricks about releasing it when they wanted done or not, and going so far as to disallowed the release of patches after release.

you are correct, sir

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    well I figure kotor2 has to be worth at least 10 bucks so I am not too worried here

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So that's the reason it's a buggy, unfinished mess? Heh, ok.

It's easily worth your $10, so if that's what you can get it for...go to it.

Orca on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Jade Empire is also in the same vein as KOTOR, but as a fighting game. Pretty fun times, and you can get it for dirt cheap these days.

ur dum

Blake T on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I mean not only is KotOR2 better than the the first. Jade Empire is the worst out of Bioware's games in the paste ten years.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blake T wrote: »

Jade Empire is also in the same vein as KOTOR, but as a fighting game. Pretty fun times, and you can get it for dirt cheap these days.

ur dum

he r dummist

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I mean not only is KotOR2 better than the the first. Jade Empire is the worst out of Bioware's games in the paste ten years.

KotOR2 is arguably better than the first in a number of ways, but undeniably rougher and unpolished. Buggy as tits.

Jade Empire may or may not be the worst of Bioware's recent games, but that isn't really saying much. I've played it through at least 3 times, and it isn't a short game.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

KOTOR2 was more ambitious than KOTOR, especially in terms of its upgrade mechanic and squad interaction, but in terms of style and execution it fell down in a number of areas.

The upgrade mechanic was neat, but there were too many redundant parts, and pretty severely bugged in that the only person who it would use to break down items was the main character.

It relied too much on exposition that didn't make any sense (HK-47 getting zapped, and then he's up and about as if nothing's happened once the cutscene's over, the little droid getting straight up DESTROYED by G0-T0, and yet Bao-Dur says nothing about it).

Arbitrarily forcing you into various characters--especially ones you may not have used in ages--and into situations they are expressly built not to be able to handle (helloooo, ranged attackers being forced into melee? Great).

Easy, uninteresting waves of baddies (to be fair, KOTOR fell into this a bit at the end, but I still enjoyed it more for whatever reason).

Quest bugs. Oh god the quest bugs. And the tons of sealed off areas.

I think the biggest problem is they were going for dark and foreboding, and managed to overshoot all the way to grimdark. Fallout 2, for example, had enough humor to keep the blasted wastes lighten the otherwise dark mood. I shouldn't find myself asking "why am I playing this?" during a game.

Jade Empire has its faults, but worst game? It was still decent and a fun play. Its structure was exactly the same as the rest of Bioware's games, and an RPG fighting game is...unique. The basic quests were all EXTREMELY basic, and it was pretty much linear within sections, and certain sections were just a giant annoying pile of annoying...but it was still fun, decently voice-acted, and had notes of humor that I enjoyed.

Orca on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

KOTOR2 was more ambitious than KOTOR, especially in terms of its upgrade mechanic and squad interaction, but in terms of style and execution it fell down in a number of areas.

The upgrade mechanic was neat, but there were too many redundant parts, and pretty severely bugged in that the only person who it would use to break down items was the main character.

It relied too much on exposition that didn't make any sense (HK-47 getting zapped, and then he's up and about as if nothing's happened once the cutscene's over, the little droid getting straight up DESTROYED by G0-T0, and yet Bao-Dur says nothing about it).

Arbitrarily forcing you into various characters--especially ones you may not have used in ages--and into situations they are expressly built not to be able to handle (helloooo, ranged attackers being forced into melee? Great).

Easy, uninteresting waves of baddies (to be fair, KOTOR fell into this a bit at the end, but I still enjoyed it more for whatever reason).

I think the biggest problem is they were going for dark and foreboding, and managed to overshoot all the way to grimdark. Fallout 2, for example, had enough humor to keep the blasted wastes lighten the otherwise dark mood. I shouldn't find myself asking "why am I playing this?" during a game.

Jade Empire has its faults, but worst game? It was still decent and a fun play. Its structure was exactly the same as the rest of Bioware's games, and an RPG fighting game is...unique. The basic quests were all EXTREMELY basic, and it was pretty much linear within sections, and certain sections were just a giant annoying pile of annoying...but it was still fun, decently voice-acted, and had notes of humor that I enjoyed.

Honestly, I'll take the atmosphere and ambience in Jade Empire over... everything I can think of right now. It was satisfyingly long, and had some great branching paths. The attention to detail was impeccable. Did anyone else check the journal entries when you play as the Black Whirlwind? Those were some of the most interesting followers I've ever seen. The Heavenly Gate Guardian and his opposite number in particular were quite interesting.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Honestly, I'll take the atmosphere and ambience in Jade Empire over... everything I can think of right now. It was satisfyingly long, and had some great branching paths. The attention to detail was impeccable. Did anyone else check the journal entries when you play as the Black Whirlwind? Those were some of the most interesting followers I've ever seen. The Heavenly Gate Guardian and his opposite number in particular were quite interesting.

I love those journal entries as Black Whirlwind, and also what happens if you start dragging out the combat. Hilarious shit.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dude, there are so many great cameos in that game too.

Nathan Fillion as Gao The Lesser
    John Cleese as Sir Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard (who eventually found the fountain of couth)
    Brian Doyle-Murray as Qui the Promoter

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh my god John Cleese is in something I have not experienced

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This is also the reason Star Wars Galaxies was released the way it was.

Not to say that SOE aren't fuckups, but I always felt they didn't deserve most of the shit they got over that.

And the only thing about Jade Empire I found particularly disappointing was that they had writeups in-game about all these awesome sounding places that we're never going to see.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I never had a bug problem with KotOR 2. So many people say it is so it must be, but I never had any issues.

And I liked the story! The ending wasn't that flash but the story and the characters were A+.

Jade Empire, there was nothing that really stood out about it.

The story was pretty by the numbers, the characters were nothing very new.

And the combat was the most boring thing imaginable.

I mean the only thing that did stand out was the setting but it really to me, felt that it missed the mark.

Blake T on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure if this will be the rumored Romance DLC but...

shadowbroker01p.jpg
    The latest Mass Effect 2 DLC has been revealed, Lair of the Shadow Broker!

Two years ago, Commander Shepard died and Liara T'Soni fought in a desperate struggle against the Shadow Broker to recover her former Commander. Now that Shepard is back, it's time to even the score.

Team up with Liara and confront the mysterious and sinister Shadow Broker in the latest expansion to Mass Effect 2, coming soon! In the mean time check out three new screenshots and stay tuned for more info on Lair of the Shadow Broker.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Not to say that SOE aren't fuckups, but I always felt they didn't deserve most of the shit they got over that.

And the only thing about Jade Empire I found particularly disappointing was that they had writeups in-game about all these awesome sounding places that we're never going to see.

You people baffle me.

Really? The ONLY thing about Jade Empire you found disappointing was writeups about things that didn't appear in the game?

The Shitty-shit-shit Combat was okay?

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    sarukun wrote: »

You people baffle me.

Really? The ONLY thing about Jade Empire you found disappointing was writeups about things that didn't appear in the game?

Yeah, actually, it was. I'm not into fighting games at all, so the lack of combos and other similar stuff didn't bother me. It was a fighter in the vein of Double Dragon rather than Mortal Kombat, and I thought it worked out generally ok. Wasn't spectacularly awesome, wasn't terribly bad. It was fun, even.

Orca on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, actually, it was. I'm not into fighting games at all, so the lack of combos and other similar stuff didn't bother me. It was a fighter in the vein of Double Dragon rather than Mortal Kombat, and I thought it worked out generally ok. Wasn't spectacularly awesome, wasn't terribly bad. It was fun, even.

Oh yeah, spam-click Left Mouse, what a BLAST.

I need to get out of here before I start name calling.

sarukun on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2010
    the new DLC sounds boss

I wish I had access to the tv ever so I could play through some of the other DLC I have for ME2

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the new DLC sounds boss

I wish I had access to the tv ever so I could play through some of the other DLC I have for ME2

shoulda bought it for PC you gigantic chump

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    fuck that, mass effect is a console series

also, my computer recently crashed and I would have lost all of my mass effect shit if I had followed this advice so I'M SAYING YOUR ADVICE IS BAD

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

also, my computer recently crashed and I would have lost all of my mass effect shit if I had followed this advice so I'M SAYING YOUR ADVICE IS BAD

But the prize, err, the mods!

Also savegame editing is wonderful for reconstructing characters if you do lose your save.

PEE CEE 4 LIFE.

Though staring at at 24" monitor really isn't the same as staring at a 40"+ TV.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I got dragon age on the PC and I've discovered my opinion on mods is fuck 'em

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Oh yeah, spam-click Left Mouse, what a BLAST.

I need to get out of here before I start name calling.

Dude, there were regular attacks, power attacks, blocking, and dodging. Then take into account the variations in basic martial styles, the weapon styles, the magic styles, the support styles, the transformation styles, and the upgrades system for each of those. Also enemies with various immunities, chi healing vs chi superpowered strikes, your focus mode... etc. etc. Sure you could do the same thing over and over to win on easy mode, but that's just, like, your opinion, man.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Damn how much does all this DLC come up to in MS points?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I got dragon age on the PC and I've discovered my opinion on mods is fuck 'em

Dude. Morrigan slap mod.

'nuff said.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Damn how much does all this DLC come up to in MS points?

To much.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    $14 and counting for the mission DLC (ignoring Cerberus Network). The non-Cerberus item and outfit DLC is very not-necessary unless you absolutely must have everything. And that's probably another, what, $10-15 or so?

Orca on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

did you get to have gay sex with Garrus?

no

no you did not

I rest my case

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I didn't even have straight sex with garrus so it ain't like I care

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I didn't even have straight sex with garrus so it ain't like I care

There is only on true romance: You can't have this on a console

Orca on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And yet I can watch that youtube video

and get the exact same amount of enjoyment out of it as someone who modded their pc version to make that happen in-game

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And yet I can watch that youtube video

and get the exact same amount of enjoyment out of it as someone who modded their pc version to make that happen in-game

It's not the same, man!

Orca on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No it really is!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

You people baffle me.

Hey, I said the combat was shit.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this will be the rumored Romance DLC but...

shadowbroker01p.jpg
    The latest Mass Effect 2 DLC has been revealed, Lair of the Shadow Broker!

Two years ago, Commander Shepard died and Liara T'Soni fought in a desperate struggle against the Shadow Broker to recover her former Commander. Now that Shepard is back, it's time to even the score.

Team up with Liara and confront the mysterious and sinister Shadow Broker in the latest expansion to Mass Effect 2, coming soon! In the mean time check out three new screenshots and stay tuned for more info on Lair of the Shadow Broker.

This looks boss. That's also a new pistol, a new shotgun, and another shot shows a new assault rifle.

And Bioware is making more attempts to just take my money wholesale.

These are coming out eventually-
    garrusFig.jpgmordinFig.jpg

And also THIS very soon-
    medianljsessionid0a01105a1f43d537fee94027464d8114f2d1f1879219.jpg

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Uh, there isn't a new shotgun.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    that reminds me, i had a crazy plan to make a conrad verner out of a shepard action figure.

Melding on