As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sonic 4; Now with more Jumping.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Good.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think it looks very safe and inoffensive. Probably won't garner the hate that Sonic typically gets, but it also doesn't seem particularly creative or interesting. Frankly, it looks really boring to me.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hate the lock on. It makes a lot of the platforming a joke. Everything else is inoffensive.

Couscous on
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Lock-on seems like the sort of thing they should allow you to turn off for "hardcore" players.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I suppose they could up the difficulty to compensate for lock-on trickery.

Otherwise it looks like an old Sonic game, a.k.a. the kind of Sonic game that people actually want to play.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Recycling almost entirely from the first 2 games, with very little evidence of new ideas or level design.
    Bad.

Xagarath on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just want more of the old stuff made to look shiny.

Hope it plays as good as it looks.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey TSR, you planning on entering that contest? :)

Undead Scottsman on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey TSR, you planning on entering that contest? :)

I'd assume his crowd is too busy reverse-engineering the contest to actually enter it.

jothki on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks good to me--I don't see the problem with a bit of recycling, as it's largely just going to be used in the beginning to hit your nostalgia button. I will say that Sonic should have more rotations per jump, though. As for the lock-on, it seems helpful for coming out of the angled spring jumps.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Recycling almost entirely from the first 2 games, with very little evidence of new ideas or level design.
    Bad.

Agreed. Get back to me when there's something new in there.

Adus on
    edited July 2010
    Half the problem with the platforming (I mean ignoring the general shittiness of the rest of the controls) with many of the 3D Sonics was that the lock on pretty much eliminated half the platforming and reduced large chunks of levels to little more than pressing the lock on button when the cue appears.

Couscous on
    edited July 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    Bad.

So they go to make a re-boot of the 2d Sonic style, capturing that feel and look of the old (good) Sonic games, and now the response they're getting is it's too much of a re-hash? I swear, some people. :P

EDIT: To be fair, I did see the bit in the video where Sonic is fighting the exact same boss from the first world in Sonic 1. That's a bit far--maybe if you knocked that off of his ship and then something more deadly popped out I'd be cool with it.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally! Sega wants my fanfiction!
    Prepare for the Sonic and the big big big big egg!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bad.

So they go to make a re-boot of the 2d Sonic style, capturing that feel and look of the old (good) Sonic games, and now the response they're getting is it's too much of a re-hash? I swear, some people. :P

EDIT: To be fair, I did see the bit in the video where Sonic is fighting the exact same boss from the first world in Sonic 1. That's a bit far--maybe if you knocked that off of his ship and then something more deadly popped out I'd be cool with it.

Its attack does change when you do enough damage.

jothki on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bad.

He starts doing another attack where he spins it around rapidly after they hit him a few times

at this point, I'll take uninspired but solid as a significant improvement to what they've been doing

Speed Racer on
    edited July 2010
    I like how the lock on made the first boss even more of a joke than he was in the first game.

Couscous on
  • Duck'n'CoverDuck'n'Cover Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does the animation of Sonic bother anyone else? It's driving me nuts, it looks like theres no real gravity, he's slip-sliding around, seems really lazy. If you look closely, even when standing still, his feet don't even touch the ground, i mean what the fuck.

Duck'n'Cover on
    demomansig.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DucknCover wrote: »
    Does the animation of Sonic bother anyone else? It's driving me nuts, it looks like theres no real gravity, he's slip-sliding around, seems really lazy. If you look closely, even when standing still, his feet don't even touch the ground, i mean what the fuck.

Yeah that's bugging me too. They still have the problem that when he starts from a dead-stop the movement of his feet don't seem to match the speed at which he's moving.

Speed Racer on
    edited July 2010

Yeah that's bugging me too. They still have the problem that when he starts from a dead-stop the movement of his feet don't seem to match the speed at which he's moving.

Wasn't that always the case with the originals, though? Also, yeah, regarding the boss fight--I need to stop skimming videos and just watch the damn things.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Duck'n'CoverDuck'n'Cover Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Wasn't that always the case with the originals, though? Also, yeah, regarding the boss fight--I need to stop skimming videos and just watch the damn things.

By originals i asume you mean the Genesis ones? I always thought the animation for those were top notch, actually. Nothing mind blowing or anything but good enough that you don't notice anything out of place.

Duck'n'Cover on
    demomansig.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like it. I think we'll be able to compare it to Mega Man 9 in terms of old school reboots in that it actually wants to be a lot like its predecessors, or even more simplified

Javen on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bad.

I was never one of those people clamoring for Sonic to return to 2D. I liked Sonic Adventure a lot, and the other 3D Sonic games were not bad because they were 3d, they were bad because they were just plain poorly designed. Mario went 3D and he did fine. The games just have to be, you know, good. People just wanted to go back in time for nostalgia purposes.

Adus on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so far this looks to have none of the polish and charm of the first 3 and a half games

sonic curled into a ball looks weird, the overuse of lock-on and floaty lazy physics is really offputting

Beasteh on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Back to the roots, but the roots of Sonic 1. This may be blasphemous, but that game did not age well. (Sonic 3 did.)

I'm looking at Sonic Colors more than this.

Heleor on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, New Super Mario Bros. Wii was just like this- after a long wait, they essentially roll out the love child of SMB3 and SMW; it sells like gangbusters.

The original Sonic is what, fifteen years old? Maybe this isn't aimed at old-school gamers like us, but at people who never got to play an original Sonic game?

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It really bothers me that sonic uncurls when he rolls off of a ramp.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Meh, I'm not going to sit and arm-chair critique it to death. Judgment will be reserved until I am able to play it. Though, from my perspective, they could have done a lot worse.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    You guys act as if the original three games had a lot of mindblowing innovation with each iteration. This looks fine so long as they think up of some tricky shit with the lock-on.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited July 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    This looks fine so long as they think up of some tricky shit with the lock-on.

I'm trying to think of anything they could do with it.

Couscous on
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The floating/sliding feet while walking is horrible. Same for the lack of momentum. Good thing they put the lock-on in there to distract you from those problems.

AnakinOU on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    You guys act as if the original three games had a lot of mindblowing innovation with each iteration. This looks fine so long as they think up of some tricky shit with the lock-on.

3 and Knuckles had far more complex level design than any of the leaked Sonic 4 videos.
    I don't want Sonic 2 part 2. That's pointless.
    And the series doesn't need to return to its roots, just as it hasn't needed the countless reboots and new starts they've given it over the years.
    What it needs is good game design.
    All this constant PR of "no, this will be just like the classic games, honest", which was exactly what they said about Heroes, Sonic 360 and Unleashed, is simply an effective way of funneling fans and nostalgia without actually having to design a good game to back it up.

Xagarath on
  • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Surprise Surprise, the first zone doesn't have brilliant level design. Just like Green Hill, Emerald Hill, Neo Green Hill, and Angel Island Act 2.

I know we have to automatically think the worst of every Sonic game to protect us from inevitable disappointment but complaining that the generic grassy stage that almost every game starts with isn't up to Sonic standards is a ridonkulous thing to say, considering they've never really been as good as later stages.

Also not too sure about the homing attack making bosses your bitch with hardly any effort. We'll see how that turns out.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All the homing does it make it more explicit how easy most of the bosses were in the originals. However, I like my brain-dead-simple-by-design implicit.

MKR on
  • MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am in no way opposed to the homing attack.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Instead of actually locking on, I think it would work better if you could just give Sonic a sudden boost of forward momentum while in the air, and you have to either land or hit an enemy to re-charge it.

Like a horizontal double-jump

Speed Racer on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Instead of actually locking on, I think it would work better if you could just give Sonic a sudden boost of forward momentum while in the air, and you have to either land or hit an enemy to re-charge it.

Like a horizontal double-jump

Mmm. Fire Shield and Lightning Shield combined!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't mind if they redid Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Sonic & Knuckles with the new engine and release it on Live. Like they did with TMNT in Time. I'd definatly buy them and enjoy :)

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait, didn't Sega promise they were going back to make this game better? Is this video before or after the rejiggering?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The presence of lock-on isn't in itself a deal breaker but it does strongly indicate that they no longer understand the underlying greatness of the genesis sonic titles and what made them enjoyable to play. It was never about speed, despite the narrative and promotional cues of the Sonic character himself.

I have extremely low expectations, as should everyone by now. The gaming community needs to escape the sonic cycle by completely shitting on a game for once in the chance it will be a pleasant surprise.

The_Scarab on