As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mon Hun 3, where lances go in Barroths after breaking out his fertile mud.

1565758596062»

• MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Beat High Rank Jhen Mohran today. This would normally pass without consequence but high rank Jhen was the only monster I hadn't killed yet, so now I've killed every monster in the game. That's something I guess.

Oh hell, it's storm time? I need HR Jhen parts. For many armors/weapons. Gah.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mizuumi wrote: »
    Okay, is it just me, or does SnS have the WORST time registering A+X attacks out of all the weapons? I swear, at least 50% of the time I go to do a jump attack, I wind up doing an uppercut swing instead. That alone is enough to make me seriously consider switching to CC2.
    [/rant]

I'm up for Blood Sport if you guys are doing that later.

I think everyone has the same problem, as I've heard the complaint before, and have the same issue myself. Easiest thing to do to remedy the situation, other than switching to CC2, is to lightly tap A+X. I have much better luck at getting that to work than mashing them at the same time.

I don't think it's the controller either - I think it's just the timing in the programming for button presses.

Yeah, my guess is that because SnS attacks come out so much faster than other weps, it has less time to 'decide' which attack you're trying to use, so those few milliseconds between presses make a much bigger difference.

I tried the light tapping thing and it seemed to work, but then most other methods worked too during my brief testing period, probably because I was concentrating so much on performing successful jump attacks. Maybe that's the real secret - just be really self-conscious about your button presses. :V

Or they could've just swapped the jump attack's button assignment with the roundslash. >:U
    (Which brings me to another gripe: why didn't they assign the LS Fade Slash to +? It's just sitting there doing nothing as is, and the only consequence of having it on A+X is the occasional failed dodge resulting in a trampling by the enraged Diablos you just poked in the eye.)

EDIT: Trying CC2, and as expected I'm attacking every time I want to move the camera.

EDIT2: At the risk of quitting too soon, I can't do this. D: Attacking works beautifully, but I cannot deal with being unable to easily move my viewpoint freely.

And now I am contemplating all the better ways they could have implemented the control pad and zL/zR buttons.

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    EDIT: Trying CC2, and as expected I'm attacking every time I want to move the camera.

That was my problem. I couldn't use CC2 because I couldn't "re-write my brain". Although sometimes I feel that it's probably a superior setup, I still can't help but be stuck to the PSP style controls.

E: Apparently, I NEVER knew that the GS charge would actually de-value in power if you let it fire by itself. You have to let go of the charge right after the 3rd charge effect. I've been doing it wrong for a while now, I guess >.<

MonkeyConQueso on
  • MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I can only imagine the suffering PSP controls would bring. Dual button press attacks AND no good camera control. Worst of both worlds!

Yeah, you do have to time it yourself, though I'm pretty sure that's only the case in MH3.

Which brings me to a question about the GS charge, or rather an observation looking for verification. In all the attack power charts I've seen, there are values listed for Charge Attacks levels 1,2, and 3 as well as a Vertical Slice. I was a bit confused at first, but I think I've figured out what those values correspond to:

Charge Attack released before any flashes = Vertical Slice (48%)
    Released after 1 flash = Level 1 (65%)
    Released after 2 flashes = Level 2 (80%)
    Released after 2 flashes with good timing (creates a third flash when released) = Level 3 (110%)
    Held until released automatically = Level 2 (80%)

Can anyone verify this?

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll head back and help with Blood Sport, if there's still room. The gunlance is something that every HR player should have.

jothki on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    going to pop on now for a little bit bt might not get to stay on for long

me and miz in a city now

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    mts I did not realize you were you at first.

I just wanted to clear that up.

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alatreon a success! Thanks MonkeyConQueso and jothki for the help! Sorry that I had to run so quick, was multitasking a WoW raid and MH =p

Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
    edited July 2010
    its ok. we should have registered as friends while we were at it.

sorry i had to run though, wife finsihed her work so it was tv time

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big thanks, to MonkeyConQueso and jothki for helping me finally get the Ala urgent done. Oh and I guess Stryker too for not fainting a 3rd time on the successful attempt :P

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone know of a consistent way to cut the Deviljho's tail? I swear my Long Sword will never be able to cut it.

Shady3011 on
    edited July 2010
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Any question related to MH3.

Use a lance.

jothki on
    edited July 2010
    jothki wrote: »

Use a lance.

:^:

AngrySquirrel on
    edited July 2010
    i have started really liking lances and seem to use them more than hammers when i go online. takes a while to really gt teh hang of it but they are godsend against ura and diabalos. i think more so for diabalos. i still love smashing monsters in teh face, but the lance is not hated. unlike great swords. they still suck

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    mts wrote: »
    i have started really liking lances and seem to use them more than hammers when i go online. takes a while to really gt teh hang of it but they are godsend against ura and diabalos. i think more so for diabalos. i still love smashing monsters in teh face, but the lance is not hated. unlike great swords. they still suck
    Lances are pretty good, but I still really only use them against Lagia. Real men smash things in the face.

AngrySquirrel on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Use a lance.

No. I hate lances. Giving up my evade roll fucks up my way of playing.

Also, we have a lance user and that shit is not coming off.

Shady3011 on
    edited July 2010

Use a lance.

Lances, GS, Extremely skilled bow users with Slicing S, and just about any cutting utensil when he's in a shock trap, or paralyzed. So bring Para Meat, and Shock Traps, and maybe a para weapon.

MonkeyConQueso on
    edited July 2010

Use a lance.

Lances, GS, Extremely skilled bow users with Slicing S, and just about any cutting utensil when he's in a shock trap, or paralyzed. So bring Para Meat, and Shock Traps, and maybe a para weapon.

That moment when he stumbles forward and this huge chunk of tail flies off is amazing, especially when you're the only one at his backside.

Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2010
    looking forward to the Jho event next week. though he will probably slaughter me

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I can only imagine the suffering PSP controls would bring. Dual button press attacks AND no good camera control. Worst of both worlds!

Yeah, you do have to time it yourself, though I'm pretty sure that's only the case in MH3.

Which brings me to a question about the GS charge, or rather an observation looking for verification. In all the attack power charts I've seen, there are values listed for Charge Attacks levels 1,2, and 3 as well as a Vertical Slice. I was a bit confused at first, but I think I've figured out what those values correspond to:

Charge Attack released before any flashes = Vertical Slice (48%)
    Released after 1 flash = Level 1 (65%)
    Released after 2 flashes = Level 2 (80%)
    Released after 2 flashes with good timing (creates a third flash when released) = Level 3 (110%)
    Held until released automatically = Level 2 (80%)

Can anyone verify this?

Yes this is correct. The 3rd flash appears when you let go half a second after you glow the brightest.

Joe's tail is pretty hard to hit, but if you stand near his legs then do a vertical slash the tip of your LS should connect. I guess it's down to studying his movements and noticing when his tail comes down. His dragon breath is usually a good opportunity to get a hit in, but it comes down, then back up, so rather tricky to time.

Otherwise just use shock traps and meats, always works :P

I'll make a new thread unless someone wants to take over. Anyone got any good title suggestions?

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Airan wrote: »
    I'll make a new thread unless someone wants to take over. Anyone got any good title suggestions?

I think jothki said it best:

"Monster Hunter - Any question related to MH3? Use a lance."

Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SLZMatrixSLZMatrix Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Stryker43 wrote: »
    Airan wrote: »

I think jothki said it best:

"Monster Hunter - Any question related to MH3? Use a lance."

Well there's that... or you could become a respectable gamer.

SLZMatrix on
    Vicariously I Live While The Whole World Dies.
    Monster Hunter Tri : Pandion/JFRXYE Xbox360 Gamertag: GypBuster
    edited July 2010
    We could do a TF2-style OP where the whole thing talks about lances, how much they rock, and how much the other weapons suck.

jothki on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We could do a TF2-style OP where the whole thing talks about lances, how much they rock, and how much the other weapons suck.

Really, they didn't even need to code any other weapons into the game. Everything you can do in the game can be done well with a lance. It's the classic dragon slaying tool as well, so bonus!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You guys have been doing too much backhopping and now it's scrambled your brains. Silly guys, l-a-n-c-e are not the letters that spell the word hammer!

Lances are crappy weapons. Literally:

82ed2f44.jpg

See? :P

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Crotchless Gorilla SuitCrotchless Gorilla Suit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is great. You are great.

Heh, Lobster armor.

Crotchless Gorilla Suit on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What the hell?

Does it make a 'poik poik' sound too? :P

New Thread!

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Having played MHF2 mainly, the water fights are interesting in Tri. Really brings back that huge sense of accomplishement... just beat my frist Lagi with one other guy around my rank. Took two tries... first time i died once the other guy twice. The second fight he died twice and I had its patterns down enough to not die at all. Really came down to the wire though cause the dude was totally outta healing stuffs and I was going nuts with my hammer, just hoping the KO damage would keep the other guy from getting killed again.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯