As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bat-Thread: Bruce Wayne, International Hairy Chested Love God of Mystery

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Graphic Violence
***Updated 6/10/2011***

POST-FLASHPOINT
After Flashpoint, the entire DCU will be relaunched in September with some major continuity shuffling and re-configuring.

Here are the biggest changes for the Bat Titles:
-Batman, Inc will be going on hiatus after issue 10 until early 2012
-Bruce will again be the only Batman; Dick will go back to a new Nightwing title while Bruce will take his spot in Batman & Robin, Batman, and Detective. Damian will still be Robin.
-Barbara is Batgirl again, somehow, with Gail writing.. Beyond upsetting the fans, I could see this also cannibalizing the sales of Batwoman, as I think Barbara as experienced Batgirl is a little too similar to Kate Kane.
-Poor Tim Drake is getting another costume redesign, but this time it's actually awful. Also, there's a possibility now that he was never Robin or at least has a new origin.
-Red Hood is getting a book where he leads a team of anti-heroes called "the outlaws," featuring Arsenal and Starfire. This seems to be in lieu of an Outsiders title.
-Batwing is getting his own book.
-Tony Daniel and Scott Snyder are switching titles.
-Tomasi & Gleason's B&R run is finally happening, but with Bruce.

Here are the new titles and teams:
-Detective Comics 1 - Written & Illustrated by Tony Daniel
-Batman 1 - Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo
-The Dark Knight 1 - Finch & Jay Fabok
-Batman and Robin 1 - Tomasi & Gleason
-Birds of Prey 1 - Duane Swierczynski (Cable, Iron Fist) & Jesus Saiz
-Catwoman 1 - Judd Winick & Guillem March
-Batgirl 1 - Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf & Vicente Cifuentes on art
-Batwoman 1 - JH Williams III, Haden Blackman & Amy Reeder
-Nightwing 1 - Kyle Higgins & Eddie Barrows
-Red Hood & The Outlaws 1 - Scott Lobdell & Kenneth Rocafort
-Batwing 1 - Judd Winick & Ben Oliver

Tangentially related:
-Teen Titans 1 (Tim Drake) - Scott Lobdell & Brett Booth
-Suicide Squad (Harley Quinn, Deadshot) - Adam Glass & Marco Rudy

Until then:

-Scott Snyder is running a sort of mini Bat-Event with Gates of Gotham, as his Black Mirror story comes to an end (to be collected entirely in a fancy Hardcover).
-Batman, Inc finally seems to be shipping on time. And Cass is back, for all you fanboy duders.
-I've really liked all the Batman & Robin arcs so far, post-Morrison. I haven't read the Winnick issue that's out yet, but I've been digging his stuff lately.
-Paul Dini's tie-in comic to the Arkham Asylum game will add some shit to the story there, and it's got digital mini-issues that you also might want to grab. Or wait for a trade, likely coinciding with the game's release right after the book wraps up.
-I haven't heard much about the other titles in awhile. I assume that Red Robin and Batgirl are still solid Bat-family fun, while Batman is incredibly middling. I imagine DC is building a robot of some sort to pencil issue 3 of the Dark Knight for Finch, scheduled to ship sometime in 2017. Did they can Gotham City Sirens yet?
-Birds of Prey is probably a Bat-book, isn't it?

HINTS
We learned some fun things in Batman, Inc 6 that would likely play into a relaunch, or at least into future storylines in the other books. Here are a couple:
(Spoilers for the sensitive)
-Bruce put Tim in charge of the Outsiders
-Cass is back as "The Black Bat," the Batman of Hong Kong.
-Bruce is a massive Internet troll.
Also, it sounded like people weren't sure if Snyder is coming back to Detective, but it seems probable that he will hang around in a Batbook somewhere. Greg Capullo from Image's Haunt is also said to be taking on a Batbook in the new launch. And we all hope now that Brightest Day is done, Gleason & Tomasi can come do a real run on Batman and Robin because their arc was a ton'o'fun. Finally, it seems that DC held back Batwoman so it could ride some extra hype as part of the post-flashpoint relaunch.

If I want to read the recent BAT STORIES, Where Do I Start!?

Grant Morrison's Batman Run:
  • Batman and Son
  • The Black Glove
  • Batman: RIP
  • Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn
  • Batman and Robin: Batman Vs Robin
  • Time and the Batman
  • Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne
  • Batman and Robin: Batman & Robin Must Die

Some other suggestions:
  • Batwoman: Elegy
  • Batman: The Black Mirror

Paul Dini's Bat-work:
  • Private Casebook
  • Heart of Hush
  • Streets of Gotham: Hush Money
  • Streets of Gotham: Leviathan (Note: This has nothing to do with the Batman, Inc. storyline of the same name)
  • Streets of Gotham: House of Hush
  • Arkham Asylum (Both the games and the current limited series are written by Dini)

That is the majority of the bat-news that is fit to print for the moment, and a pretty ramshackle OP that will at least answer the big questions.

HadjiQuest on

• MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    529777-drk_ngt2_large.jpg
    Let's start this off big.

MastaP on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OK, now the post I originally wanted to write:

Finally read 701. Liked it a lot. It was just Bruce decompressing after RIP, and it almost reminded me of the claremont-basketball-x-men. I'm sure the people who were really confused about RIP and the FC tie ins feel really stupid now after Bruce essentially just swims back to shore and goes home in the first three pages.

I loved the art on it. Tony Daniel knocked it out of the park on pencils. I actually love the dude's stuff. His part in 700 was kind of meh, and the art in his own run felt rushed and unclear sometimes, but the RIP Deluxe Hardcover is absolutely gorgeous. Also, I don't know if he got a new colorist, but the colors on this were just vivid and beautiful. I don't normally notice coloring in these books all that often, but this was fantastic. Every subtle detail in Bruce's face really stood out in some of the scenes, right down to a redness in his cheeks from exhaustion. Great stuff.

HadjiQuest on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    701 was great.

I absolutely love what Morrison has been doing with the Batman books since RIP, I think he's doing the best stuff with the main line in decades.

MastaP on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's also Detective and Death and the City from Dini's Detective Comics run. They were pretty awesome.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited July 2010
    There's also Detective and Death and the City from Dini's Detective Comics run. They were pretty awesome.

I would've listed them, but unfortunately they're both out of print in all formats. :(

HadjiQuest on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    701 is working better than I imagined. I'm pretty certain it's a different colourist with Daniel, the work looks miles better than RIP's colouring. And the ideas are aligning together suprisingly well, just by focusing into a single narrative through Bruce's eyes.

I now suspect Bruce was counting on being hit by the Omega Sanction.

Linespider5 on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think my favorite part of 701 was when he saw the prostitute from Batman and Son

Tairu on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    OK, now the post I originally wanted to write:

Finally read 701. Liked it a lot. It was just Bruce decompressing after RIP, and it almost reminded me of the claremont-basketball-x-men. I'm sure the people who were really confused about RIP and the FC tie ins feel really stupid now after Bruce essentially just swims back to shore and goes home in the first three pages.

I loved the art on it. Tony Daniel knocked it out of the park on pencils. I actually love the dude's stuff. His part in 700 was kind of meh, and the art in his own run felt rushed and unclear sometimes, but the RIP Deluxe Hardcover is absolutely gorgeous. Also, I don't know if he got a new colorist, but the colors on this were just vivid and beautiful. I don't normally notice coloring in these books all that often, but this was fantastic. Every subtle detail in Bruce's face really stood out in some of the scenes, right down to a redness in his cheeks from exhaustion. Great stuff.

tony daniel as an artist is fantastic. it's just his writing that is subpar.

Angry on
    edited July 2010

I would've listed them, but unfortunately they're both out of print in all formats. :(

That sucks. I've been having some troubles myself getting my hands on the first two Gotham Central deluxe hardcovers.

As for Tony Daniel, I don't I'd call his art fantastic. It is pretty good most of the time but it does slip occasionally. Saying that, he has improved a hell of a lot since he started his Teen Titans gig. His writing on the other hand, is definitely pretty piss poor.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited July 2010

That sucks. I've been having some troubles myself getting my hands on the first two Gotham Central deluxe hardcovers.

As for Tony Daniel, I don't I'd call his art fantastic. It is pretty good most of the time but it does slip occasionally. Saying that, he has improved a hell of a lot since he started his Teen Titans gig. His writing on the other hand, is definitely pretty piss poor.

I think the first two Gotham Central Hardcovers will be getting new printings soon due to the last ones finally being released.

As for Tony Daniel, he certainly isn't a good writer yet, but I do believe he has potential. Yeah, his first Batman arc was essentially a giant misstep, but there were some good moments and some good issues in that lengthy introductory run. Another thing that threw him was having to write Dick-Batman, which I really wouldn't expect any first-time writer to be able to cope with writing a replacement hero as the first assignment.

I think the dude will pick up the pieces, learn from his mistakes, and get better at writing as time goes on. In a couple years, he'll probably even be someone to watch.

And no, I don't plan on reading his Batman book (anytime soon, at least). But maybe if he does get better, I will grab the trades.

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2010
    After 701 I've been musing on the Orion theme in Morrison's work. There may be no end revelation on this, but it is an interesting path.

Obviously there's the murder of Orion from Final Crisis, but Wayne Manor also has its family paintings with the Orion constellation, referencing the apparent 'hidden room' Bruce apparently walks into for the first(?) time in 701. And in the beginning of 701 when Bruce is swimming in the Gotham river, we get another instance of the constellation set into a panel for no clear purpose, other than to be there.

There's a little bit of fun to be had, given that Orion was the 'good son' of Darkseid, reflecting Bruce's current Dr. Hurt paternity quandries (as well as the all-but confirmed fatherhood of Bruce to Damien). Last Rites also had Bruce locked into a machine that from a distance looked an like a massive version of Orion's helmet.

I recall there were some rumblings that Morrison originally wanted an ascendence type this with Bruce becoming a New God in Final Crisis, likely becoming Orion, which didn't happen...likely leading to Morrison salvaging some of the concepts into something else.

Seeing as how Darkseid is managing to remain in the picture, perhaps there's another layer, beyond Hurt, beyond Damien, beyond the Mexican Trainwreck of the Joker....and with an eclipse on the way with a time-travelling Bruce Wayne all Omega-powered...there may yet be some kind of New God magic being readied to help wrap this all up.

Linespider5 on
    edited July 2010
    So, I've been thinking about Dr. Hurt some more

This is my guess, and I'm sure probably some of you have made the same inference
    Dr. Hurt is Thomas Wayne from beyond the bleed.

This could 18th Century Thomas Wayne the Devil Worshiper, an Elseworlds Thomas Wayne who paid to have his Wife and Son murdered, a devil-like 'ultimate evil' similar to the bleedified cthulu (or possibly it in another form), or all of the above put together.

HadjiQuest on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I said it before in the last thread but I bet Hurt is

crazy Bruce Wayne from the time hopping, somewhere along the way he went crazy

TexiKen on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tairu wrote: »
    I think my favorite part of 701 was when he saw the prostitute from Batman and Son

Absolutely agree. This reminded me a lot of The Moment© from All-Star Superman. That Batman could go through R.I.P. and be so bright and... super hero-y moments after emerging from the water was an amazing, though delicate, piece of characterization.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • WizardFistWizardFist Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I said it before in the last thread but I bet Hurt is

crazy Bruce Wayne from the time hopping, somewhere along the way he went crazy
    The missing portrait? I'll bet when it turns up, it's going to look exactly like Hurt. Meaning he's old, devil-worshipping Thomas.

WizardFist on
    1242529-1.png
    edited July 2010
    It was just nice to see Batman getting credit for doing a nice thing. Not 'important', not badass, but nice.

Linespider5 on
    edited July 2010
    So is anyone else absolutely fucking pissed that the Dini part (you know... the Batman, Hush stuff) of yesterday's Streets of Gotham was only 12 God damn pages of the whole book?

I mean, seriously? I didn't buy this for the new Two-Face "back-up." Dropping this immediately if next issue is like that.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010
    Mentioned it in the bitching thread, it is really stupid and now I have to be on the lookout to see if DC or Marvel does this for other books now. I'm just disappointed in Dini more than anything, I love the dude's work but that's not a cool move, brah.

I always wondered why they called it a "second feature" instead of a back-up, now I know why.

TexiKen on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey, the guy is trying to juggle all of his current books while also doing the prep work for the long-awaited sequel to COUNTDOWN.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I know the Countdown part is a joke, but Dini isn't writing anything else, is he? It's kinda been hurtin' to be a fan of his lately, I must say.

Edit: Oh, he's writing Zatanna. Which I've been enjoying, yes.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010
    I don't know if that is either a cruel joke or a terrible idea.

edit: Dini is writing a lot of stuff for movies and games for DC which is messing with his comics output.

TexiKen on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zatanna and the occassional Batman satellite books.

And I'm not sure if Dini gets enough 'credit' for his role as COUNTDOWN 'showrunner'. That stink should never get washed off.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2010
    He kind of got away with taking the brunt of it, but I remember his response to reaction of the first few issues was a bit testy. I think he fell on the "of course they're not good now but it gets better honest!" excuse

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't know if that is either a cruel joke or a terrible idea.

edit: Dini is writing a lot of stuff for movies and games for DC which is messing with his comics output.

Having only written 8 of the 14 Streets of Gotham issues (including the 12 page mini-story in #14) and 9 of the 13 Gotham City Sirens issues, I've no clue why DC haven't replaced him on at least one of his books. His writing is still great but when you're missing nearly an entire year of issues between the two, you really should wake the hell up and recognise you need to drop your workload a bit.

I can't blame Dini for Countdown though, it always seemed to be more editorials project than his.

Unco-ordinated on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dini wrote Arkham Asylum and the upcoming Arkham Asylum 2 (or whatever it will be called). I'm pretty confident that those projects have made/will make more money than any number of comics he would write, so the games are getting a big priority.

Ceno on
    edited July 2010
    Batman
    Detective Comics
    Batman & Robin
    Dark Knight
    Batman Inc.

5 main Bat-titles, I don't know yet if it will actually expand a reader base or just take from the smaller titles.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    What the heck if Batman Inc. ?

Although now I'm imagining an AWESOME comic where Batman is a motivational speaker for businessmen wanting an edge on the competition.

Linespider5 on
    edited July 2010
    http://comics.ign.com/articles/110/1108154p1.html

There is a huge interview with Morrison detailing tons of details on Batman Inc.

I won't even try to sum it up. Normally the interviews at announcement time are just fluff and dancing around questions. Morrison pretty much lays out his entire mission and his artists in this one.

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2010
    Later a fan asked whether previous Batgirl Cassandra Cain is possible. "We may see Cassandra Cain appear in an upcoming issue of one of our titles," said Marts. "Perhaps in November."

I would like it to be Red Robin just because Nicieza could protect her from harm, but I think more like Dark Knight she shows up for Finch to ruin.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    Morrison just says Dick has "a bullet in his brain."

He's also said Red Robin will still be around.

Sounds like we're looking at Bruce/Damien as Batman and Robin.

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2010
    Didio probably wants Morrison to kill him this time.

And Morrison mentions a big 2 year overview he gave editor Mike Marts for others to be aware of, that would mean more if this wasn't the guy who changes things at the last minute. Hopefully it would be concrete this time.

TexiKen on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Morrison seems to be a very different creative page than DC in general, and I think honestly they need to come around to him rather than the other way round.

Solar on
    edited July 2010
    Let him lead the charge with the Bat-books, but make sure he doesn't have total freedom to change everything at the last minute like he's done in the past on other books.

TexiKen on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So when should the trade of Morrison's first Batman and Robin story come out? Probably next year?

Although I have to admit the hardcover is very nice.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    After 701 I've been musing on the Orion theme in Morrison's work. There may be no end revelation on this, but it is an interesting path.

Obviously there's the murder of Orion from Final Crisis, but Wayne Manor also has its family paintings with the Orion constellation, referencing the apparent 'hidden room' Bruce apparently walks into for the first(?) time in 701. And in the beginning of 701 when Bruce is swimming in the Gotham river, we get another instance of the constellation set into a panel for no clear purpose, other than to be there.

There's a little bit of fun to be had, given that Orion was the 'good son' of Darkseid, reflecting Bruce's current Dr. Hurt paternity quandries (as well as the all-but confirmed fatherhood of Bruce to Damien). Last Rites also had Bruce locked into a machine that from a distance looked an like a massive version of Orion's helmet.

I recall there were some rumblings that Morrison originally wanted an ascendence type this with Bruce becoming a New God in Final Crisis, likely becoming Orion, which didn't happen...likely leading to Morrison salvaging some of the concepts into something else.

Seeing as how Darkseid is managing to remain in the picture, perhaps there's another layer, beyond Hurt, beyond Damien, beyond the Mexican Trainwreck of the Joker....and with an eclipse on the way with a time-travelling Bruce Wayne all Omega-powered...there may yet be some kind of New God magic being readied to help wrap this all up.

Well, yeah. The ending is totally going to be Bat-Orion vs. Bat-clone Darkseid.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I just picked up Detective Comics 854-857, the start of Batwoman's run. It's good so far and I was wondering, is this Kate Kain's return after the events of 52, or does she appear again earlier?

Also, I was planning on catching up with the times. I've read Final Crysis and the RIP run. I was planning on getting Morrison's Batman and Robin as well as Return of Bruce Wayne. So, what else should I bother reading? Anything good from Batman or Detective Comics(other than Batwoman's run which I'll be picking up in full)?

Thanks in advance, you guys are the best!

Maratastik on
    edited July 2010
    Olorin wrote: »
    So I just picked up Detective Comics 854-857, the start of Batwoman's run. It's good so far and I was wondering, is this Kate Kain's return after the events of 52, or does she appear again earlier?

Also, I was planning on catching up with the times. I've read Final Crysis and the RIP run. I was planning on getting Morrison's Batman and Robin as well as Return of Bruce Wayne. So, what else should I bother reading? Anything good from Batman or Detective Comics(other than Batwoman's run which I'll be picking up in full)?

Thanks in advance, you guys are the best!

Kate played a supporting role to Renee in Crime Bible: Five Lessons of Blood, a mini-series that came out a year or so before Rucka's run on Detective Comics. Otherwise, Final Crisis: Revelations might be a recommendation since it kinda ties into the same Crime Bible cult stuff. Otherwise, I can't remember any other appearances beforehand (her appearance in Batman and Robin was afterwards) but you can thank DC for taking so bloody long to start the series, Rucka and JH Williams had been planning it for years.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited July 2010
    http://comics.ign.com/articles/110/1108154p1.html

There is a huge interview with Morrison detailing tons of details on Batman Inc.

I won't even try to sum it up. Normally the interviews at announcement time are just fluff and dancing around questions. Morrison pretty much lays out his entire mission and his artists in this one.

:o

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Morrison is a gamer and played Arkham Asylum? Interesting.

august on
  • Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So Batman Inc. is Morrison's Batman Family book?

Sold. Though I really need to get caught up on Return of Bruce Wayne.

Although: 50 hours of Just Cause 2? Really? Must've been high.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif