As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why are random people sending me instant messages?

FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Over the past week I've gotten two random instant messages, in which both claim I had messaged them first. Weird part is their names just show up as numbers.

Any idea whats going on?

Cvcwu.jpg
Fiziks on

• Options
    Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spam? Maybe you get charged texting back. If it shows up as a number for me it means it's not in your contact list. I wouldn't reply.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    What client? I used to get these on AIM a lot, not in years though.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Possible that someone just misspelled an email address.

I know I did that with my sister once. I was messaging some random person for nearly a month before I realized that the reason they never responded was because they had no idea who I was and why I was claiming to be their brother. That was awkward.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Over the past week I've gotten two random instant messages, in which both claim I had messaged them first. Weird part is their names just show up as numbers.

Any idea whats going on?

There are actually a few social experiment type things on AIM where people are randomly paired. Search around for "Coho" or "TheGreatHatsby" for examples of this.

Edit: Er, assuming you're on AIM, that is. (Ceres' post made me think you were on AIM when this was happening but now I realize that's not the case.)

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Probably spam? ICQ used all-number IDs. AIM and ICQ are/were somehow related since AOL acquired ICQ a long, long time ago (1). ICQ spam is pretty rampant.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's spam. Ignore it.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »

Any idea whats going on?

There are actually a few social experiment type things on AIM where people are randomly paired. Search around for "Coho" or "TheGreatHatsby" for examples of this.

Edit: Er, assuming you're on AIM, that is. (Ceres' post made me think you were on AIM when this was happening but now I realize that's not the case.)

No I am on AIM. What I should have said is that the random people's screen names who IM me only show up as numbers, as well as mine to them.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Have you checked to make sure you don't have a virus and aren't actually sending them the first message?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Your computer could be a bot working for some spammer. When was the last time you scanned your computer?

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've been getting messages he past two weeks from random people claiming that i met them before from a craigslist personal ad and they wanted someone to have sex with someone and i think and they decided to try me again. Just as everyone is saying, its spam. Click block and go on with your day.

Grimm on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Once, someone put my AIM name in an IRC channel claiming I was a "17/F from Cali LF someone to cyber with"

I got over 100 AIM messages in like 10 minutes from different people. One guy even opened with "Can I have your phone number so we can have phone sex?"

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    It is spam messages from ICQ, since the ICQ and AIM systems are interlinked, you'll get hit with ICQ spam.

Also if you have a Livejournal account, remove your AIM account name from that, they seem to enjoy scraping it from there. I was getting hit by that damn Coho bot every time I posted to LJ at one point.

FyreWulff on