As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Minecraft] - rock is my life (multiplayer survival out now)

• MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Oh, god, I haven't seen any creepers in that cave. That's not right.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    eobet wrote: »
    How can you respawn out of a dark cave, and is it possible to sleep through the nights?

Death and no.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do not explore a cave without a stack of torches under any circumstances ever.

In other news, my world has all these awesome sinkholes that lead to cavern complexes, and the snowfall effect makes the entrance easy to find.

BlueDestiny on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The next thrilling adventure is going to be sponge cleanup it looks like

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Survival mode is rough considering half the game is nigh unplayable until I find some goddamn iron ore.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know what you're talking about, you can do pretty much anything you want with Stone. Iron is just a convenience.

Zek on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    skace wrote: »
    Survival mode is rough considering half the game is nigh unplayable until I find some goddamn iron ore.
    I think the best way to find the all-important first batches of iron ore and coal is to travel topside until you find a caved region and set your base there. It's by far easier and faster to dig for ore and coal in caves than it is digging through an entire mountain.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Coal you can find pretty much anywhere with exposed rock, you should have no trouble getting some by the first night if you hurry to get a pickaxe.

Zek on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Or you can do what I did and cut into a mountain to build your home, and then tunnel steadily downwards. Deep, deep into the earth, until you break into a magma cave full of skeletons, zombies, creepers, and these big green cube guys who sometimes split into four smaller cubes when you kill them. Then die repeatedly while trying to fetch the load of redstone, gold, and iron on your corpse.

What's the purpose of the green balls you get from the big green cube guys? Assuming I can get back to the surface alive, I should have a whole bunch of them.

zilo on
    edited July 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    Or you can do what I did and cut into a mountain to build your home, and then tunnel steadily downwards. Deep, deep into the earth, until you break into a magma cave full of skeletons, zombies, creepers, and these big green cube guys who sometimes split into four smaller cubes when you kill them. Then die repeatedly while trying to fetch the load of redstone, gold, and iron on your corpse.

What's the purpose of the green balls you get from the big green cube guys? Assuming I can get back to the surface alive, I should have a whole bunch of them.

They're slime balls collected from defeated slimes, you can throw them at mobs to knock them back a bit, but it doesn't do any damage.

MetaHybrid on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shit, the wiki is down and I can't remember how to make leggings.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited July 2010
    Shit, the wiki is down and I can't remember how to make leggings.

XXX
    X .X
    X .X

MetaHybrid on
    edited July 2010
    I still need iron to make steel and flint so I can light a torch dont i? And I'm on like my 4th day without finding iron. I can't dig very far because it immediately gets dark when I tunnel into anything.

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I still need iron to make steel and flint so I can light a torch dont i? And I'm on like my 4th day without finding iron. I can't dig very far because it immediately gets dark when I tunnel into anything.

Uhhh, torches only need 1 coal and 1 stick (makes 4 torches). They are lit as soon as you place them, don't need flint and steel. Actually, you don't need flint and steel for anything unless you want to burn down a forest so I usually don't bother.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Ohgod you poor bastard

Torches light by themselves, you just need to plant them using right mouse. You don't need to "light them"

Flint is found in gravel i think too.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    torches are self-lighting

lighting fires is just for FOREST FIRES WOO

Raneados on
    edited July 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Kris, I managed to completely unflood your underlava temple and I promise to never touch it again.

Hey, thanks a ton. Don't worry about it, I'll make some small shrine to you on the wall.
    kdrudy wrote: »
    The next thrilling adventure is going to be sponge cleanup it looks like

Holy hell, I am amazed at how much water has been cleaned up. You guys did great.

Not gonna lie tho, I kinda miss it.

Kris_xK on
  • pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    poor sheep
    spoilered for huge
    screenshot20100725at234.png

also I found http://www.echidnatribe.org/Minecraft/crafting.php as that seemed to have more stuff in it. (like boots)

I also found a huge cave that led down to lava and gold and red stufff and diamonds and I got out with the stuff , and even made a sign for the entrance and now that save crashes minecraft

pabh on
    edited July 2010
    I tunneled until something green blew up in my face... :p

skace on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Ummm.... I found redstone, and I smashed it with a Steel Pickaxe... but there was no dust. Do I need a gold pickaxe or something?

EDIT: I kept getting lost and not being able to find my "house" so I built a giant stone pillar with torches all around it. Super helpful.

Also, a tip for people who get lost easily (Like me!): as you mine, PUT YOUR TORCHES ON THE LEFT. Right = Returning. That way, you can always find the way back to where you started. I have a ridiculous cave system under my house, so being able to follow torches to find my way back is amazingly helpful.

I can't make a boat. What the hell.

X_X
    XXX

With planks, right?

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    *cries* I've spend two hours now trying to randomly generate a world as wonderful as the first one I saw... no dice yet...

*sigh* At least I managed to grab some snapshots of my paradise before I got lost in a dark cave and had to delete it...

minecraftworld1a.png
    minecraftworld1b.png

Minecraft can generate some fantastic scenery, but all my worlds lately seem to be ominous tall mountains, or littered with evil looking caves...

I do hope that sleeping through the night and manual re-spawning will make it into the game soon.

It's now almost three o'clock in the morning and I can't remember the last time a game kept me up this late... in the Minecraft world, I'm currently perched on a wooden shelf constructed on top of a really tall and thin mountain... it's going to look like something by Roger Dean/Rodney Matthews when I'm finished, I hope.

Suddenly, I don't really care about either the next Sim City or Civlization... at least not for the moment.

Sleep now.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Lars_DomusLars_Domus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I tunneled until something green blew up in my face... :p

Yeah. That sums up survival mode nicely.

This video from the SE++ thread illustrates how the pros do it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_S_7DRfCow

I'd advice any viewers of a nervous disposition to turn the volume down a bit.

Lars_Domus on
  • Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lux782 on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hahahahahahahahahaha
    WHAT THE SHIT?!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Those two videos just sold me on this. Good job.

Aiserou on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    None of the worlds I've gotten generated have been nearly as interesting as eobit's world... that's a nice one! I've been getting mostly lowland island chains.

I did finally get some coal, and used the torches to dig deep, deep, deep to find any kind of ore I could. For some reason, I found a red ore and what I think was a gold ore... but when I broke them open, I got absolutely nothing. What's up with that?

Anyways, eventually I dug down until I actually dug through the world... there was a patchwork of unbreakable blocks and breakable ones, and when I broke through some of the breakables the sky shone through, which was pretty awesome.

Then I broke through a wall and filled the whole lower chamber with lava, which was also cool... but for that whole digging expedition I never encountered anything other than gold and red ore that didn't give me anything and more coal. I've got all the coal I could ever want now, but I'm left wondering how you actually mine other types of ore: i'm pretty sure that I'm doing it wrong.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I finally escaped from the realm of the Deepcrows with most of my plunder. I have more redstone than iron, and a couple of diamonds.

What's redstone for? Do the redstone torches do anything interesting?

zilo on
    edited July 2010
    None of the worlds I've gotten generated have been nearly as interesting as eobit's world... that's a nice one! I've been getting mostly lowland island chains.

I did finally get some coal, and used the torches to dig deep, deep, deep to find any kind of ore I could. For some reason, I found a red ore and what I think was a gold ore... but when I broke them open, I got absolutely nothing. What's up with that?

Anyways, eventually I dug down until I actually dug through the world... there was a patchwork of unbreakable blocks and breakable ones, and when I broke through some of the breakables the sky shone through, which was pretty awesome.

Then I broke through a wall and filled the whole lower chamber with lava, which was also cool... but for that whole digging expedition I never encountered anything other than gold and red ore that didn't give me anything and more coal. I've got all the coal I could ever want now, but I'm left wondering how you actually mine other types of ore: i'm pretty sure that I'm doing it wrong.

I believe you have to have a pickaxe to actually get anything from ore (other than coal, maybe). Make a pickaxe with sticks and stone/steel/gold/diamond.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    you need a oickaxe to get anything from stone or above

you need a stone pickaxe to get anything from iron or above

you need an iron pickaxe to get anything from gold or above

etc

the redstone can be used to create circuits and simple machinery and locking mechanisms and whatnot

Raneados on
    edited July 2010
    Ok those videos rock, unfortunately my creeper death wasn't like that. I saw him from 50 feet away and charged with my sword.....

skace on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    This has potential
    javaw2010-07-2523-43-47-72.png

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, nice one!

In other news, so that's the problem! I only had a wood pickaxe, so I wasn't getting any of the shiny ore. But for the life of me, I just can't find stone!

In other news, check out the Church of the Holy Wang on the Creative map. Follow the wangs, you can't miss it. It's built in the hole where the resevoir that appears to have caused the flooding hit.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    dig down a couple layers or look for cliffs trust me there is stone EVERYWHERE

VALVEjunkie on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ...I don't think you know what stone is, Thorn.

Take a look at the screenshot in the spoiler above. See the gray blocks that all that dirt's piled on top of? That's stone. Break it with your wooden pickaxe to get Cobblestone. Use that instead of lumber (keep the sticks though) to make Stone Pickaxes.

Congratulations. You can now make enough pickaxes to last forever.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited July 2010
    Maybe I shouldn't have started my game on Peaceful. I have yet to encounter a hostile mob.

EDIT: Oh, I can change the difficulty on my existing map. Awesome.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited July 2010
    stone is quite literally the most abundant thing on the map

you... can't find any?

dig down 3 squares

Raneados on
    edited July 2010
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Minecraft (Not Responding)

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited July 2010
    Maybe I shouldn't have started my game on Peaceful. I have yet to encounter a hostile mob.

Even on peaceful, there are generally a couple of large cave complexes with swarms of blobs.

So do trees actually grow? I've never actually noticed if they do.

Kris_xK on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »

Even on peaceful, there are generally a couple of large cave complexes with swarms of blobs.

After a while a tree explodes into being from a planted sapling.

BlueDestiny on
    edited July 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »

I spent a couple of hours deep, deep underground and never encountered anything on peaceful. I switched it to normal, left my little underground lair at night, and encountered a Skelly the second I walked out.

MayGodHaveMercy on