As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2010 BYOC Info/FAQ - REG CLOSED

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Even though the thread has been uber-comprehensive so far, I still have a few questions. This is my fourth year at PAX, but first year with BYOC. Anyway, on to the questions:
    • What day/time does badge pick-up for BYOC open?
    • Where is BYOC badge pick-up? Is it the 2nd floor hotel location that general registration is at?
    • If BYOC is a separate line from the main queue line or the Benaroya line, will we be missing out on a chance to get concert wristbands?
    • On that same note, will BYOCers automatically be counted out of attending the keynote if the lines are formed at the same time?
    • My brother mentioned BYOC setup happening Thursday night. Is this true/false?

Thanks!

1&2) I will have a BYOC badge station at registration in the sheraton on thursday when willcall is open. If you have to pick it up on the day of pax the badge pickup will be the BYOC Desk in front of BYOC.

3) Previous years BYOC has had concert wristbands. I am working on them for this year as well. I will be able to give an update on this within the next two weeks. Although you dont *have* to checkin to BYOC right at opening, its just a convinence thing. If getting a wristband is higher priority to you (if we dont get them for this year) then you can always camp that line and come checkin to BYOC afterward.

4) BYOC gets to checkin and set their stuff up 2h before PAX starts (so 8am). You can check in and put your stuff at your seat then jet over to the keynote line if you want.

5) your brother is false. The only thing that goes on thursday is you can get your BYOC badge from willcall. You checkin to BYOC the day of PAX, although earlier than PAX opens if you so choose.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alphonsis wrote: »
    1. 2 hours before pax opens on the first day (Friday).
    2. Last year it was outside of the BYOC room.
    3. BYOC attendees get a concert wristband.
    4. no idea. I've yet to attend a keynote, oddly enough.
    5. The enforcers may be setting up the room Thursday night, but we don't go start to go in until two hours before pax opens.
    Thanks, Alphonsis. I'll have to let my brother know he was wrong about point 5 and to revise his time off request per point 1.

I've never attended a keynote either. This is the first year in the last four that my employer hasn't talked me into staying at work until noon "just in case work comes in." (Yeah, seriously.)

If I can make it to the keynote without fragmenting the seating for my group of 6, I'm going to do it come hell or high water!!

AtomicGaryBusey on
    fss_overall.png
  • Options
    AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    1&2) I will have a BYOC badge station at registration in the sheraton on thursday when willcall is open. If you have to pick it up on the day of pax the badge pickup will be the BYOC Desk in front of BYOC.

3) Previous years BYOC has had concert wristbands. I am working on them for this year as well. I will be able to give an update on this within the next two weeks. Although you dont *have* to checkin to BYOC right at opening, its just a convinence thing. If getting a wristband is higher priority to you (if we dont get them for this year) then you can always camp that line and come checkin to BYOC afterward.

4) BYOC gets to checkin and set their stuff up 2h before PAX starts (so 8am). You can check in and put your stuff at your seat then jet over to the keynote line if you want.

5) your brother is false. The only thing that goes on thursday is you can get your BYOC badge from willcall. You checkin to BYOC the day of PAX, although earlier than PAX opens if you so choose.
    You rock, BigRed! That answers everything I was missing. Thanks!

AtomicGaryBusey on
    fss_overall.png
  • Options
    ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    3 and a half months unemployment, my friend from seattle moving to spain and now 3 days passes selling out are all conspiring to keep me from returning to BYOC. Last year was the least fun in BYOC (out of 4 years) in my opinion as it seemed there was a lot less games being run internally.

Yet I still want to celebrate my bday in BYOC once again. It seems like I'll be able to "afford" to come with my friend from here. We just wanted to know what events were going on in byoc this year (to decide if we should bring our rigs or just some lappys). Is there still a decent chunk of tickets left, because we need to get some additional people in to make the trip affordable.

ThePimpImp on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    Is there still a decent chunk of tickets left, because we need to get some additional people in to make the trip affordable.

There are approximately 230 seats left at time of writing this post. You can see the list of people registered here:

http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=event&sub=stem&view=participants&eventid=1467

GeeCee on
  • Options
    Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Some of those on the list might have registered with the x2 option so might there actually be less than 230 seats?

Cerrato0426 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I havent updated the group seating chart because our layout is changing shortly. for those who already requested blocks of seats not much will change. no sense in me doing lots of updates when ill have to just re-do them :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What is a good brand for LAN bags? I am trying to find one that will hold a 20.5" monitor plus a mid size computer case.

The brands keep changing. Any recommednations?

atray on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    atray wrote: »
    What is a good brand for LAN bags? I am trying to find one that will hold a 20.5" monitor plus a mid size computer case.

Geargrip is king.

BigRed on
  • Options
    gerfiglmacgerfiglmac Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey, I have a quick question.
    So I'm still waiting to hear back about Enforcing this year. I also would really like to do BYOC if I don't get called for duty.
    Should I wait it out until I hear back or should I go ahead and register?

gerfiglmac on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    register, you can get a refund from lanfest if you dont end up wanting it
    although you can be an enforcer and do BYOC as well if you want (there are many that do)

BigRed on
  • Options
    gerfiglmacgerfiglmac Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome! I will register tonight

Thanks BigRed.

gerfiglmac on
  • Options
    HorlicksHorlicks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hi .. got myself registered and made the payment as well. Was just checking the list of things to bring which includes "Confirmation email showing your payment confirmation, seat number and gamer ID". Ive received 2 emails - one confirming registration and the other confirming payment - but neither show a seat number or gamer id. Im assuming the payment confirmation which has my real name should suffice (the website has already listed my name as one of the attendees) - hope i'm correct.

Horlicks on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Horlicks wrote: »
    Hi .. got myself registered and made the payment as well. Was just checking the list of things to bring which includes "Confirmation email showing your payment confirmation, seat number and gamer ID". Ive received 2 emails - one confirming registration and the other confirming payment - but neither show a seat number or gamer id. Im assuming the payment confirmation which has my real name should suffice (the website has already listed my name as one of the attendees) - hope i'm correct.

Ignore seat #, thats something that should have been removed from the mailer from the year we had a seating chart.

You will get an email closer to the event that has a barcode on it, you bring that :P Along with photo ID

BigRed on
  • Options
    HorlicksHorlicks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Ignore seat #, thats something that should have been removed from the mailer from the year we had a seating chart.

You will get an email closer to the event that has a barcode on it, you bring that :P Along with photo ID

Thanks !

Horlicks on
  • Options
    AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    atray wrote: »

Geargrip is king.

1188471secondscruffy2su.jpg

AGlassOfMilk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I got an updated layout, tonight I will be putting the existing seating arrangements onto it (not much has changed honestly) and adding the pending ones then re-open it to group seating requests :)

BigRed on
  • Options
    Wifout TeefWifout Teef Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait I'm having a group of 5 people. Where do I sign up for a group arrangement? I can't really check the thread right now I'm on a slow computer

Wifout Teef on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait I'm having a group of 5 people. Where do I sign up for a group arrangement? I can't really check the thread right now I'm on a slow computer

RESERVED GROUP SEATING INFO:

If you have a large group of 8+ people and you all want to sit together then read on!
    I will reserve seats for a few hours past opening for large groups coming to BYOC.

HERES WHAT I NEED FOR A GROUP SEAT:
    Handles of everyone in the group
    A group name
    A single person in that group to PM me, a group leader if you will, (or post, or email me at reasonablylucid@gmail.com) where you want to sit (row and seats numbers)

If you dont quite have 8 then don't worry, as long as you are in line together at BYOC opening, you will be able to get seats together no problem.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    Wifout TeefWifout Teef Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SmallLady wrote: »

RESERVED GROUP SEATING INFO:

If you have a large group of 8+ people and you all want to sit together then read on!
    I will reserve seats for a few hours past opening for large groups coming to BYOC.

HERES WHAT I NEED FOR A GROUP SEAT:
    Handles of everyone in the group
    A group name
    A single person in that group to PM me, a group leader if you will, (or post, or email me at reasonablylucid@gmail.com) where you want to sit (row and seats numbers)

If you dont quite have 8 then don't worry, as long as you are in line together at BYOC opening, you will be able to get seats together no problem.

Thanks, very appreciated

Wifout Teef on
  • Options
    ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    bah stupid new job won't give me the weekend off, guess its time to find a new one.

ThePimpImp on
  • Options
    macbittmacbitt Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    With the BYOC badge pickup at the Sheraton on Thursday will we also receive our PAX goodies (swag bag, concert wristbands, etc) at that time? Thanks.

macbitt on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    macbitt wrote: »
    With the BYOC badge pickup at the Sheraton on Thursday will we also receive our PAX goodies (swag bag, concert wristbands, etc) at that time? Thanks.

Edit: ooops. forgot this was the byoc thread, and I was incorrect :P

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    SmallLady wrote: »
    macbitt wrote: »

no. you get those when you get in line at either the Main Theater (Benaroya) or in the Queue room.

No, you get them when you check into BYOC. I will have the swag bags and lanyards distributed to each seat in BYOC by the time you checkin.

Concert wristbands are not yet confirmed for BYOC attendees (still trying to get a # available locked down)

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So we'll get PAX stuff Friday when we enter BYOC. Thanks, BigRed.

macbitt on
  • Options
    SnipethewolfSnipethewolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I may have missed it on reading over all the info on BYOC but I registered for BYOC. Now what do I do? Is there something I need to print and take with me when I come to PAX? Where do I check in and when? I take it check in is 7am on friday?

Snipethewolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I may have missed it on reading over all the info on BYOC but I registered for BYOC. Now what do I do? Is there something I need to print and take with me when I come to PAX? Where do I check in and when? I take it check in is 7am on friday?

Closer to PAX you will get emailed a barcode that you print out to bring with.

BigRed on
  • Options
    tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got an updated layout, tonight I will be putting the existing seating arrangements onto it (not much has changed honestly) and adding the pending ones then re-open it to group seating requests :)

The layout doesn't appear to have changed yet.. Is there a delay in posting? :P

tek on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    YES THERE IS

Im busy with a lot of stuff, ill get to it when i can :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    TheGravTheGrav Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is the first year I am not driving up. Reading some of the earlier posts I took BigRed's advice and called the hotel to see about arranging my PC to be delivered. However I have a few more questions about it.

Should I ship my PC in my Pelican case? Much like I have done in the past to get computer stuff over seas. I will of course remove the hard drives, and Video Card and carry those with my carry-on, should I do the same for the RAM? Also should I line the inside of the case with foam and anti-static materials?

Just wondering how close to military shipping I should get! :) Also Fed-ex or UPS? Who has done this and had good or terrible results and advice?

TheGrav on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    TheGrav wrote: »
    This is the first year I am not driving up. Reading some of the earlier posts I took BigRed's advice and called the hotel to see about arranging my PC to be delivered. However I have a few more questions about it.

Should I ship my PC in my Pelican case? Much like I have done in the past to get computer stuff over seas. I will of course remove the hard drives, and Video Card and carry those with my carry-on, should I do the same for the RAM? Also should I line the inside of the case with foam and anti-static materials?

Just wondering how close to military shipping I should get! :) Also Fed-ex or UPS? Who has done this and had good or terrible results and advice?

If the case is completely sealed (no gaps from the removed video card, for example) then static shouldn't be a major issue. A large static bag to put the computer in, sealed with kapton tape (regular tape is highly static) should take care of that concern. For those that aren't aware static is a huge computer killer that usually mortally wounds (so no immediate signs of damage) rather than kills out right.

I would take out the RAM, if only because it isn't the most secured item in the case and it is smaller than the other items you are transporting yourself. Again, static bags and kapton tape all around (including the hard drives). Some padding for the hard drives (maybe put them in the middle of your clothes) would be good.

As for shipping if you have a Pelican then I would use it. I haven't seen any packaging that beats Pelican and we use it for transporting gear and computers at work exclusively. I ship everything assuming it is going to be dropped from a 5 foot height. If you are taking it to a UPS or FedEx store you could also ask them to look over your packaging. In theory they are professionals and experts, but you feel strongly against something they said then trust yourself.

macbitt on
  • Options
    TheGravTheGrav Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    @macbitt: Cool, so pack like I am shipping overseas :) Just wondering. Thank you for the feed back.

TheGrav on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The craziness of the last week is finally over with, I should be able to update the group seating chart tonight :)

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The craziness of the last week is finally over with, I should be able to update the group seating chart tonight :)

ITS STILL TONIGHT! WOO!

Chart updated with all pending requests I had in my email/PM inbox. If I missed something let me know.

BigRed on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Red, B/C 33 will work for my seat since I need a spot for a wheelchair and am In the pax group, or yknow, take me out of the pax group and put me at B 19 if thats easier

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Red, B/C 33 will work for my seat since I need a spot for a wheelchair and am In the pax group, or yknow, take me out of the pax group and put me at B 19 if thats easier

Groups get to work it out amongst themselves where each person sits.

BigRed on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That chart doesn't look like it can seat 550 people :o, or does that number include both freeplay AND BYOC?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That chart doesn't look like it can seat 550 people :o, or does that number include both freeplay AND BYOC?

I just did the math and counted it up, there are 550 seats on that chart.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

You fail at math yo

There are indeed no longer 550 seats there, we cut some because BYOC reg went up late so we wernt going to sell through all the way because PAX tickets sold out. Its about at 450ish seats now.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

You fail at math yo

There are indeed no longer 550 seats there, we cut some because BYOC reg went up late so we wernt going to sell through all the way because PAX tickets sold out. Its about at 450ish seats now.

I counted the left side and then estimated the right because I was half awake. :(

ZeroHourHero on
This discussion has been closed.