The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
Charlemagne's Heirs!

Charlemagne-by-Durer.jpg

Welcome to Charlemagne's Heirs, a hopefully epic series of posts about the restoration of the Vermandois branch of Charlemagne's family to their rightful place as rulers of the Frankish peoples and Holy Roman Emperor.

Brief History Lesson!

Charlemagne was a Frankish King in the late 8th and early 9th centuries. The Franks, a Germanic people who inhabited the eastern bits of modern France and western Germany were one of the many barbarian tribes that attacked the decaying Western Roman empire and established a Kingdom of their own by the 6th century. Charlemagne himself was the grandson of Charles Martel (the Hammer) who halted Muslim expansion into Western Europe at the battle of Tours. After inheriting his father's crown and outlasting his rival brother, Charlemagne proceeded to kick ass and take names, expanding the Frankish kingdom to a kind of ridiculous size (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think no one controlled that much of Western Europe again until Napoleon):

300px-Growth_of_Frankish_Power%2C_481-814_Edit.jpeg

In 800 AD he was crowned Emperor of the Romans by Pope Leo III after interceding against the Italians on the Pope's behalf. While this wasn't technically the title of Holy Roman Emperor, for the purposes of game mechanics, we're going to pretend it was. It was the forerunner to the eventual position, so we'll call it good.

Unfortunately for Charlemagne, despite having 20 children, within 250 years his male line had been reduced to one relatively small family with a territory just outside Paris. The Count of Vermandois Herbert IV and his brothers Odo and Pierre. He also had one son, also named Odo who became the last of the Carolingian dynasty.

Us!

Our goal is to restore the Carolingian Dynasty to its former heights and reclaim the crown of King of the Franks (we'll call it France) and title of Holy Roman Emperor! And then we'll see what other crazy shit we can do and possibly liberalize the Kingdom or make it a cruel fascist despotism or lots of other things. Possibilities are largely endless.

This is a Let's Play, right? Where's the game?

Game? Not game! Games! We'll be playing through Paradox Entertainment/Interactive's epic series of historical simulations, beginning in 1066 with Herbert IV and going through the middle of the 20th Century. The games are:

Crusader Kings (1066-1399) with Deus Vult expansion.
Europa Universalis III (1399-1821) with Napoleon's Ambition, In Nomine, and Heir to the Throne expansions.
Victoria (1836-1936 technically, we can probably use some modding to make it 1821-1936 and make things right) with its expansion, Revolutions.
Hearts of Iron... 2? (1936-whenever the major world war we'll trigger ends) with whatever expansions HoI experts feel are recommended. I personally don't even own this game.

Wait, what? You don't own one of the games you're LPing?

Indeed I do not. For this is not just an LP. It's a Succession game! I'll be playing Herbert IV. When Herbert dies, someone will pick up with whichever one of his families members inherits his throne. Which should be Odo the Younger, unless he dies first. When Odo dies (assuming he does inherit) a third person will take over with his heir, and so on until we a) lose interest or b) have to start recycling people. EU3 also has monarchs and a similar method will apply. Victoria we'll have to jury rig something, especially if we switch to a more democratic form of government but we'll do what we can.

Anything else we should know?

A list of updates will be in the post below this one, so please leave that one for me. And the third post as well, if you would for the first actual update.

Here's our thread on Paradox games in general.
Here's our Crusader Kings thread.
There are three inspirations for this idea:
1) Fintilgin's Jerusalem thread, where he makes Jerusalem a kind of ridiculous empire.
2) Wiz's unbelievable Hohenzollern thread, which got me interested in these games to begin with.
3) The ongoing Serbia succession game/LP on SA's forums.

Any audience participation?

While waiting for your King to show up, I highly recommend to all current rulers allowing some decisions to be made by the thread at large. There are more options for such things in future games (National Ideas, for example), but for this one major decisions can be offered to the thread for commentary and voting and what not.

How do we claim characters?

1. People can claim characters as I post the family tree (in the next post) and whoever ends up surviving to inherit the throne gets to be the next player. When your current character dies you can choose a new person.
2. We just make a list and go in order.

I think I mildly prefer option 1, but I'll leave it up to whoever reads the thread!

enlightenedbum on
Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    UPDATES

vnoym8.png
    The Reign of Herbert IV, Count of Vermandois and Hainaut, Duke of Valois (1066 - 1085) played by enlightenedbum
    1066-1070 - Count of Vermandois, Duke of Valois?
    1070-1080 - Herbert the Stable
    1080-1085 - Herbert Schemes, Fails, Dies

The Reign of Odo I, Duke of Valois, Count of Vermandois, Hainaut, Brabant, and Ile de France (1085 - 1120) played by PolloDiablo
    1085-1120 - Trading A French Master for a Norman One

The Reign of Saint Henri, King of Burgundy, Defender of the Faith, and Liberator of Jerusalem and holder of many other titles (1120 - 1140) played by Rhan9
    1120-1140 "Saint" Henri Slaughters All Kinds of People, But Mostly People the Church Didn't Like, Apparently.

The Reign of Jordan the Adventurer, King of Burgundy Duke of Champagne, Flanders, Luxembourg, Orleans and Valois. Count of Yperen, Artois, Brugge, Gent, Hainaut, Amiens, Ille de France, Vermandois, Reims, Luxembourg, Brabant and Jerusalem. (1140 - 1163) played by Lowlander
    1140-1144 - Adventures in Prussia
    1145 - 1150 - Reclaiming the Norman Coast
    1150 - 1157 - Lemmings to Alexandria
    1157-1163 - The Conquest/Conversion of Alexandria

The Reign of Serlo I, King of Burgundy (1163 - 1180) played by Zedar
    1163 - 1168 - Our Treacherous Heir Spreads Lies At English Court, Causes War
    1168 - 1175 - Continued Reclamation of Normandy and Brittany OR Our Heir Is Now Both a Treacherous Bastard (Though Not Literally), But Also A Schizophrenic
    1176 - 1180 - Yet More Wars!

The Reign of Godfrey the Mad, King of Burgundy, Duke of Champagne, Luxembourg, Orleans, Valois, and Anjou (1180 - 1187) played by starkiller
    1180 - 1182 Godfrey Confuses Growth With Shrinkage (This is a quoted version of the post, but the links were broken in starkiller's, lowlylowlycook fixed it for him.)
    1182 - 1187 Godfrey Descends Further Into Madness

The Reign of Robert the Fragile; King of Burgundy, Duke of Champagne, Luxembourg, Orleans, and Flanders (1187 - 1189) played by Kayne Red Robe
    1187 - 1189 Robert Attempts to Stabilize Burgundy While His Internal Organs Fall Out

The Reign of Alexander the Poet; King of Burgundy, Duke of Champagne, Luxembourg, Orleans, and Flanders (1189 - 1235) played by shalmelo
    1189 - 1200 - Alexander Stabilizes the Realm with the Help of His Cheating Hussy of a Wife
    1200 - 1214 - Alexander Remains Oblivious to His Wife's Philandering, Writes Crappy Poetry, Inexplicably Raises A Badass
    1214 - 1224 - Insanity Returns With a Vengeance
    1224 - 1235 - The Decline of the Mad Poet

The Reign of Bjorn the Liberator, King of Burgundy, Duke of Champagne and Orleans (1235 - 1269) played by President Rex
    1235 - 1245 - Catholicism Wanes
    1245 - 1255 - Bjorn Deals With His Asshole Father
    1255 - 1265 - Rome Liberated, Burgundy Grows Ever More Powerful
    1265 - 1269 - Bjorn Liberates Aragon, Crowns His Second Son King

The Reign of Thomas the Heretic, King of Burgundy, Duke of Anjou, Burgundy, Barcelona, and Champagne (1269 - 1290) played by Reboot
    1269 - 1279 - Thomas Conquers South France, Further Angers the Pope
    1279 - 1290 - Thomas Is Excommunicated, Continues Taking Land, Crushing Rebellions With An Iron Fist

The Reign of Hamelin the Overexuberant, King of Burgundy and Aragon, Duke of Luxemburg, Cordoba, Mallorca, Valencia, Murcia, Barcelona, Orleans, Upper Burgundy, Bedford, and Auvergne (1290) played by lowlylowlycook
    August - December 1290 Hamelin Attempts to Crusade, Gets Waylaid by the Duke of Anjou, Dies

The Reign of Emperor Louis (the Regency of Chancellor Eirene), King of Burgundy, Aragon, Castille, Egypt, England, France, Wales and Italy. Duke of Alexandria, Aswan, Badajoz, Cordoba, Cyrennica, Deheuharth, Valencia, Vitebsk, Jerusalem, Porto and Toscana. (1290 - 1309) played by Phyphor
    1290 - 1296 Louis Makes Friends, Is Threatened by Civil War, Writes Adorably
    1296 - 1300 Louis Proves to be Charlemagne's Heir, Desperately Needs to be Fertile to Give This Stuff Away
    1300 - 1308 Louis Named Emperor, de Vermandois Family Dominates Europe
    1308 - 1309 Louis Continues His Conquests, Is Assassinated

The Reign of Centule the Crusader, King of Burgundy, Aragon, Castille, Egypt, England, France, Wales and Italy. Duke of Alexandria, Aswan, Badajoz, Cordoba, Cyrennica, Deheuharth, Valencia, Vitebsk, Jerusalem, Porto and Toscana. (1309 - 1347) played by Elvenshae
    1309 - 1321 Centule Goes On A Couple Crusades
    1321 - 1347 Centule Forgets The Realm Needs to Shrink

The Reign of Frigyes, King of Burgundy, Aragon, Castille, Egypt, England, France, Ireland, Italy, Leon, Portugal, and Wales (1347 - 1367) played by starkiller
    1347 - 1351 - The Ducal Wars Begin
    1351-1367 - Continue, Peter Out

The Reign of Michael, King of Ireland, Burgundy, Etc. (1367 - 1377) played by Zedar
    1367 - 1373 - Fundamental Instability Sets In
    1373 - 1377 - PLAGUE!

The Reign of Ioannes the Paranoid, King of Burgundy, England, France, Ireland, Italy, Leon, and Wales (1377 - 1399) played by enlightenedbum
    1377 - 1390 - The Magna Carta
    1390 -1399 - The Sixth Crusade and the Second Ducal War

The State of Europe, 1399!

confounding.jpg

The Reign of Nicolas the Vampire, King of Vermandois (1399 - 1443) played by President Rex

1399 - 1410 - A New Era
    1410 - 1420 - Flemish Revolts, Conquest of Liege
    1420 - 1430 - Reconquest!
    1430 - 1443 - The (First?) Mediterranean War

The Reign of Isaac the Conquerer, King of Vermandois (1443 - 1470) played by Phyphor
    1443 - 1460 - Consolidation of France
    1461 - 1470 - North African Conquests

The Reign of Louis V the Navigator, King of Vermandois (1470 - 1496) played by Elvenshae
    1470 - 1477 - The Conquest of Lorraine/Discovery of Nouveau Vermandois
    1477 - 1488 - The Second Moroccan Crusade
    1488 - 1496 - War in Iberia

The Reign of Louis VI the Unchronicled, King of Vermandois (1496 - 1509) played by FarseerBaradas
    1496 - 1509 - Mayan Conquest (chronicled after the fact by enlightenedbum) Also, a state of the world!

The Reign of Loius VII the Diplomat, King of Vermandois (1509 - ) played by starkiller
    1509 - 1513 - Disaster!
    1513-1518 - Religious Upheaval and Diplomatic Initiatives
    1519-1522 - Flanders Reclaimed! And 1523
    1523 - 1533 - Diplomacy Pays Off

Succession order:
    shalmelo
    shuss
    Lachrymite
    Arang
    enlightenedbum

(When he gets the mod working successfully). Zedar

enlightenedbum on
    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    edited July 2010
    Herbert IV, Count of Vermandois, Duke of Valois?
    Spoiler:

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    This post has been repurposed for more useful information.

For EU3 mod information:
    Spoiler:

For historical background on our CK start
    Spoiler:

President Rex on
    Join the Crew: Sink to the level of sinking those trying to sink us.
    PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited July 2011
    Reserved if needed by either myself or Rex.

enlightenedbum on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Victoria we'll have to jury rig something, especially if we switch to a more democratic form of government but we'll do what we can.

Democracy means you've lost.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are there any compatibility issues between the PC and Mac versions of HttT? If not, I could be in for that portion of the game.

edited July 2010
    piL wrote: »
    Victoria we'll have to jury rig something, especially if we switch to a more democratic form of government but we'll do what we can.

None of these LPs ever liberalizes, it makes me sad.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, if you could convert to HoI3 I could play that part, but I don't have 2. I do have Vicky, although I'm not that great at it

• The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    piL wrote: »

None of these LPs ever liberalizes, it makes me sad.

Would be nice to form the allies in HoI2 as opposed to the axis.

EDIT: I blame Crusader Kings. The 'you're playing a lineage, not a country' mentality tends to persist.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Somebody should claim whoever's next, I'll probably at least play through the rest of Herbert's life at some point today. Not sure when I'll post it, largely depends how long he survives and if anything terribly interesting happens.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't want to claim any CK people because I've never played the game, but I do want in if/when you make it to EU3.

Also, my experience with these LPs is that hamming up the roleplay is the way to go.

edited July 2010
    I don't want to claim any CK people because I've never played the game, but I do want in if/when you make it to EU3.

Also, my experience with these LPs is that hamming up the roleplay is the way to go.

Collapses are half the point! We need incompetence. :P

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can provide that in the Victorian era! Don't have the EU3 expansions though

edited July 2010
    By Victoria and HOI2 (or even EU3), it would be possible to implement some form of event detailing an elective government. HOI2 already has alternative history events for elections (the USA's in particular are very specific), but you could conceivably write something with some randomness based on [x] factors to choose if the current elected leader stays in power or if they're ousted in the next election. You'd just need to determine how long you want a term in office to be (and if you want to follow the eventual US example of "no more than [X] terms" and then modify the event's firing timeframe.

...could lead to potential power grabs by the playing individuals attempting to establish a dictatorship (if that'd be allowed) lasting longer. But then, that's about 750-ish years away from our present temporal situation.

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited July 2010
    Germany is collapsing. Also Odo (the Younger) is now the count of Amiens and refuses to remarry after his wife died. The bastard.

EDIT: If I would die, we could instigate a plan to reclaim the throne by ~1115. Philippe Capet is having trouble with male offspring with only Louis Capet among his 8 offspring, and his oldest daughter is one year younger than our grandson...

EDIT2: I'm going to write up a second update once I wade through all the screenshots and then put two decisions to people in the hopes of encouraging posts.

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll claim someone. I'm terrible, but one of us terrible folks need to step up eventually. How about Odo the younger, if he's still free.

Be excellent to each other you stupid cunts.
    edited July 2010
    I'm not that great myself, I just vaguely know how the game works. And we're not playing at an absurd difficulty (normal) so anyone can play.

edited July 2010
    Update 2: Herbert the Stable
    Spoiler:

screensave50.png

Finally, the question which Herbert had decided to consult the nobles of the realm about. The Duke of Flanders has rebelled from French rule and is at war Phillippe. Confident in his highly skilled general of a son, he's trying to make an independent Kingdom (roughly Belgium, in this case). He had also noticed that he King of France had only one son, who was a courtier in the nearby Bishopric of Rheims and relatively unprotected. Herbert's grandson Henri would make a fine husband for Phillippe's oldest daughter and if Louis Capet were to um, fall out of a tower and no further sons born to Phillippe and his second wife, the Carolingians would have the heir to the French throne in their bloodlines.

We can:

1) Stay neutral.
    2) Grab the title of Count of Gent (or the crappier province to the west of Gent that I forget the name of currently) and declare war for ourselves. We're about equal in terms of army size, but his Marshal is WAY better than our crappy one.
    3) Comedy option: grab one of Phillippe's titles and rebel against him!

A) Assassinate Louis Capet (38 gold, lose 100 prestige/piety if we get caught), hope to marry off Henri to the French Crown Princess if ideally Herbert dies before she comes of age and is married off to some loser son of William the Conqueror.
    B) Marry off Henri to the oldest French daughter and hope Louis dies before he can reproduce.
    C) Ignore the French throne for now

• The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We can:

1) Stay neutral.
    2) Grab the title of Count of Gent (or the crappier province to the west of Gent that I forget the name of currently) and declare war for ourselves. We're about equal in terms of army size, but his Marshal is WAY better than our crappy one.
    3) Comedy option: grab one of Phillippe's titles and rebel against him!

A) Assassinate Louis Capet (38 gold, 100 prestige/piety if we get caught), hope to marry off Henri to the French Crown Princess if ideally Herbert dies before she comes of age and is married off to some loser son of William the Conqueror.
    B) Marry off Henri to the oldest French daughter and hope Louis dies before he can reproduce.
    C) Ignore the French throne for now

2A.

Gift-wrapped oppurtunities for the taking.

Also: I will be able to take part in the EU3 stage (HTTT).

steam_sig.png
  • ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If we're ok with a dynasty of incompetents I'll step up for succession sometime. I finally got something of a grip on how to play this game after mucking around last night. I still have no idea how to do anything well though, so chances are any kingdom we have will stagnate under me :)

steam_sig.png
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Damn this shit nobility shit is confusing. I vote for A, not sure about 1-3. If I understand this right Flanders is busy with Philippe, so his army and good marshall are likely to be busy as well, making this a classic gank-war situation, which I approve of. So if that's the case I vote 2A.

And if an heir of ours becomes King of France I vote for a newbie to play next and hopefully lose everything in a display of hilarious incompetence. Extra points if he plays the fiddle while doing so.

edited July 2010
    Note that Flanders is on the north side of France and thus right on our border. I could wait until Phillippe shows up to distract them but then I risk not sieging the territory we want before Phillippe seizes the Duchy itself (which would end the war).

And yeah, if we manage to set up Henri's son as the heir to the French son I'm going to requires that be a newbie.

• ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll vote for 1A, quiet treachery all the way.

steam_sig.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, I'm definitely in for CK. I claim young Henri, or the turn after PolloDiablo, or whatever the system here mutates into. This should be quite fun. :D

steam_sig.png
  • NineNine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll definitely be following this LP. I'm surprised you were able to resist the temptation to marry Odo to Agnes d' Aquitane.

Re: Your question:

If your intrigue score + your spymaster's is higher than the Bishop of Rheims' + his spymaster's than I'd take a chance on option 2A.

edited July 2010
    I'll attempt executing option 2A; potentially with hilarious all of heirs get slaughtered by the King of France consequences!

Sometime later tonight, I want my reign to end before SC2 trial is downloaded so I can lose 7 hours of my life. :P

edited July 2010
    Damn it Herbert, die conveniently!

• JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ive always wanted to do a Paradox LP, ill consider participating if you manage to hit EU3 and beyond, since CK seems to always go wrong when I play it.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    We need people for things to go wrong! I keep saying this, to keep things interesting in EU3 we need collapses.

Also, the plot failed as we didn't time in time to control Henri's marriage. His sons may inherit the County of Avranches though. We did kill Louis Capet successfully! :P

Though now there's a Jacques Capet and interesting things are happening with Phillippe.

• P10P10 An Idiot with Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We need people for things to go wrong! I keep saying this, to keep things interesting in EU3 we need collapses.
    Eh. If you mod the game well like in the Hohenzollern LP, and set up reasonable restrictions (on BB, colonization, whatever), you don't need rampant incompetence (like in the Serbia LP) to keep the country from snowballing. Obviously, if you don't, you could easily 'win' the game in ~50 years through the stupidly broken EU3 HTTT HRE Unification chain.

• JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eh. If you mod the game well like in the Hohenzollern LP, and set up reasonable restrictions (on BB, colonization, whatever), you don't need rampant incompetence (like in the Serbia LP) to keep the country from snowballing. Obviously, if you don't, you could easily 'win' the game in ~50 years through the stupidly broken EU3 HTTT HRE Unification chain.

I feel dirty even thinking about unifying the HRE that way. It feels like cheating.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010

I meant collapses in CK so we don't enter EU3 all powerful. Plus CK collapses are the funniest. You'll note that Wiz collapsed himself fairly frequently. He was King of Germany by like the third update.

Anyway, done playing, Herbert's dead. Love live Odo! Update coming. And then I'll upload the save for PolloDiablo.

• P10P10 An Idiot with Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jaramr wrote: »

I feel dirty even thinking about unifying the HRE that way. It feels like cheating.
    You can exploit the HRE mechanics to make unification super easy, because you can stockpile enough Imperial Authority so that you can enact the 6th (the reform that makes basically every HRE member state declare war on you) and 7th (the one that causes you to inherit the entirety of the HRE) reforms literally one after another, completely removing any difficulty from the sequence whatever.

And because of the mechanic allowing the expansion of the HRE, you often don't just inherit all of the HRE but also a sizable chunk of France as well!
    I meant collapses in CK so we don't enter EU3 all powerful. Plus CK collapses are the funniest. You'll note that Wiz collapsed himself fairly frequently. He was King of Germany by like the third update.
    His 'collapses' were often self-engineered to keep the game interesting and semi-challenging (allowing the crown of Germany to pass to someone else, splitting his German/Italian holdings before Victoria, etc), as opposed to the Serbian LP where it seems like half the players have no idea what they are doing.

edited July 2010
    I'll have to point out that there isn't a CK-EU3:HTTT converter yet. IN is the only one that works (and I can only get the one that creates its own mod to work that way, not the one that creates a save game file). Although it does seem to go over from DVIP alright.

Also the Carolingian cross is much more Celtic than anything related to Charlemagne. It's basically: "What's cool that starts with a C since our cross has so many Cs in it?" "Charlemagne? Charles Martel?" "That'll work."

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited July 2010
    Chapter 3 (1080-1085): Herbert, the Flawed Schemer
    Spoiler:

herbertdead.pngdukeodo.png

Finally in 1085 after nearly 20 years of rule (OK, longer in history, but whatever) Herbert died in his sleep at the age of 53. Herbert had significantly increased the holdings of the Carolingians and improved their rank to that of Duke. He would be remembered mostly for his vast construction projects, greatly improve the infrastructure of the region, in particular Vermandois itself. His son Odo the Younger became the new Duke of Valois!

Game summary: we discovered roads near the end of my reign, Vermandois is building the simple version currently. Switched to mine research because the +1 gold thing is awesome.

Odo also has crappy intrigue (three) so we're not getting the most out of our now three territories. But I suggest saving them until his two sons come of age and make them counts. Odo's also single, as he never re-married. Also single: Phillippe's oldest daughter and our Phillippe (Odo's middle son) is 15, so maybe we can try to get into the Capet family still?

edited July 2010
    I'll have to point out that there isn't a CK-EU3:HTTT converter yet. IN is the only one that works (and I can only get the one that creates its own mod to work that way, not the one that creates a save game file). Although it does seem to go over from DVIP alright.

Also the Carolingian cross is much more Celtic than anything related to Charlemagne. It's basically: "What's cool that starts with a C since our cross has so many Cs in it?" "Charlemagne? Charles Martel?" "That'll work."

The cross is so mathematically pretty though! And we're Charlemagne's somewhat illegitimate heir anyway so we'll co-opt it in our alternate history.

I suspect it's fairly easy to work around the HttT issues. We'd want to do some border adjustments anyway and EU3 isn't terrible to do by hand if I've got large outlines filled in by some converter or another.

Oh, also I'll probably check out the world and post about what's going on as an interlude sometime tonight.

PolloDiablo should have it. I hope.

More edits: I found a CK -> HttT converter that seems to work for people, if it's not entirely done. From there should be able to fix a few things, add some missions, stuff like that.

edited July 2010
    Because I like posting information, let's check out Europe!
    Spoiler:

• kaliyamakaliyama Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm down to play in the succession game.

fwKS7.png?1
  • kaliyamakaliyama Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    By Victoria and HOI2 (or even EU3), it would be possible to implement some form of event detailing an elective government. HOI2 already has alternative history events for elections (the USA's in particular are very specific), but you could conceivably write something with some randomness based on [x] factors to choose if the current elected leader stays in power or if they're ousted in the next election. You'd just need to determine how long you want a term in office to be (and if you want to follow the eventual US example of "no more than [X] terms" and then modify the event's firing timeframe.

...could lead to potential power grabs by the playing individuals attempting to establish a dictatorship (if that'd be allowed) lasting longer. But then, that's about 750-ish years away from our present temporal situation.

In a country with elective gov't, all you'd have to do is agree that every 2 elections you switch players, or switch as soon as a different party comes to power. Elections fire regularly.

fwKS7.png?1
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've got the save, and tonight will see the reign of Odo the Incompetent.

Be excellent to each other you stupid cunts.