As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No Contest vs Guilty Plea [speeding ticket]

skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm from WA and I got a ticket going through Salem, Oregon. Cop caught going 74mph in a 60mph zone at 5:30am. Whoops.

I was initially just going to bite the bullet and pay the $190, but then I actually read the ticket and the options and now I'm confused.

What's the difference between pleading Guilty and pleading No Contest?

Note: I'm not trying to get out of the ticket, I'm just wondering which is the smarter choice for my record and for my insurance.

skettios on

• Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think that guilty means that you admit that you broke the law, and no contest means that you will neither confirm nor deny that you broke the law, but you aren't going to fight the ticket.

I'm pretty sure that "no contest" would be the better option.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This would be a dumb thing to do.

The main problem here isn't the ticket itself. It is the impact it will have on your insurance premium. If you plead guilty or choose no contest, you will get fucked in the ass over the next three years paying higher insurance.

You need to read this. I have gotten six speeding tickets within the last four years and used the information provided there to make sure that only one of them went on my record.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »

This would be a dumb thing to do.

The main problem here isn't the ticket itself. It is the impact it will have on your insurance premium. If you plead guilty or choose no contest, you will get fucked in the ass over the next three years paying higher insurance.

You need to read this. I have gotten six speeding tickets within the last four years and used the information provided there to make sure that only one of them went on my record.

It's been a long while since I had a speeding ticket, and, at least in my county in Washington State, if you get a ticket, you can add a fee (read: bribe) to the ticket amount and if you don't get another ticket within a year, it drops off your record completely. Apparently you are only supposed to be able to do this every 7 years.

This probably doesn't help you with a ticket from Oregon, so... listen to the guy who has more experience with this kind of thing!

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So you are out of state? that sucks man...

However, a lot of times those points don't transfer (if you even got any) from another state. although, some states have programs where they do. Check on that for one.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    In Washington State, you can get a deferred finding for your ticket. You pay the court something like $100 in "court costs" and they don't report the ticket. You can only do it once every 7 years, but that sounds like it could work for you. Not sure if it's limited to Washington residents, though.

Doc on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks guys.

Really wish I had gotten this in WA. Would have been alot easier to deal with.

I'm leaning towards no contest and in my written plea explain that this is my first offense. Also saying that I'm willing to pay more and take traffic school so that it won't go on my record and affect my insurance.

They're closed now, so I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they even accept doing traffic school.

skettios on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, never ever plead guilty on a speeding ticket. Even if you're not going to contest the ticket, and you were totally going 90 in that school zone, plead no contest. You don't get brownie points with the law for being honest.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE

Everyone should watch that.

Perpetual on