As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lost in Shadow will mess with your head Jan. 4, 2011

UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
Lost in Shadow is a pretty game by Hudson for the Wii. It is a full retail game and not a Wiiware.

newlostinshadowscreens2.jpg

lostinshadow20100615080.jpg

lostinshadow20100625014.jpg

Here is its E3 trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbuXx6vXeZ8

This new (7/29) trailer shows off one of the crazy awesome mechanics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFoh3Byn5x4

Release date Jan. 4, 2011

It's probably going to bomb at retail, but at least we chosen few can bask in its glory.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
UncleSporky on

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This looks really badass, I can't even tell you

I also never once assumed it was a WiiWare game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yea, I have to make sure I get this, mostly to show my support.

It looks awesome...but yea, it's doomed to failure...especially since they felt the need to put it in Christmas 2.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This looks really badass, I can't even tell you

I also never once assumed it was a WiiWare game

Did you see that new trailer? I just made the thread because I figured it should go in an appropriate place.

If they can design the puzzles with the same level of ingenuity as the concept, it is sure to be the good kind of mindfuck.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I stumbled across the game when someone else confused it for Limbo when I tried explaining Limbo as "the platformer with a bunch of shadows".

The trailers are all pretty great stuff

UnbreakableVow on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Been interested in this one for quite a while.

Xagarath on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This really isn't out until January? It's out in Japan and has full English if that's what your Wii is set to.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Never heard of it. Now very interested!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So if you go to the wikipedia page for Lost in Shadow it says it's called A Shadow's Tale in europe.

And here's it's listed on game.co.uk as released http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Wii/Action-Adventure/A-Shadows-Tale/~r348813/

So it's fucking out right now?!

There are even a couple of reviews floating around.

This GB quicklook tipped me off http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-lost-in-shadow/17-3378/

I might divert my New Vegas money towards this.

Lenore03 on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, looks like it's out right now, everywhere but America. This is a unique situation with how long we have to wait!

Post impressions if you get it. :)

UncleSporky on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes, it came out in Japan 3 or 4 months ago with full English support.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If I have to order a sales monkey at Best Buy to check the back room for this today I'm going to be pissed. My local store has this horrible habit of not having new games on the sales floor in a timely manner.

The website says they have it, though. I've for this waited too long to be denied now!

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just saw this at Bestbuy today actually while I was buying something else. I tried the demo and it seemed interesting. I'd like to know if it's worth spending the rest of my gift card on it though.

Gilder on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I was amazed to actually find it on my own yesterday.

Of course, I had to look behind some MLB game so it wasn't where it should have been (my BBY arranges things alphabetically), but hey.

Now my problem is that I won't have time to actually play until probably Saturday...

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited January 2011
    Played the first few stages last night.

Wow, this game is tricky. It takes a while to train yourself to watch the background instead of the foreground.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I ended up just using the gift card to buy the game and I got up to the entrance to the first floor or whatever. I'm liking it, but even before I looked at any reviews I had a feeling the game would be pretty short. My friend said reviews are saying the game is about 6 hours, and that's what it feels like it'll end up being. The stat screen says I'm already at 10% and I only played for half an hour. Not really complaining, but then I essentially bought it for $15. People may want to hold off a bit if it seems too short for the price.

Anyway I was pretty amazed when I got to the screen right before you reach the tower. The way you jump between foreground and background there just had me going "Wow, that is so cool."

Gilder on
    edited January 2011
    Really? Huh. The Kotaku review said it takes 6 hours just to get to the game's main gimmick (interacting with things in the real world to change their shadows) and that this happens with two thirds left of the game to go - meaning it's an 18 hour game. This is corroborated by several GAF posters as well.

Reviews are kind of mediocre, as they were when it came out in Europe, but it still looks worthwhile.

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2011
    Hmmm I still haven't read any reviews myself because I don't like things being spoiled, so maybe he read it wrong. I find it very doubtful that it will last 18 hours though, that seems way too high an estimate for this kind of game. I'd be glad for my feelings to be wrong though because I'd have no problem with this lasting 10 hours longer than I thought.

I don't know what Kotaku is talking about with taking 6 hours to manipulate stuff however. You do that in the very first area of the tutorial garden.

Gilder on
    edited January 2011
    The thing seen in the trailer above where you go through a door and turn into a ray of light and can run around in the foreground.

UncleSporky on
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Keep us posted Gilder. I'm on the fence on this one, and all of the blurbs I've read make it seem like the game is almost too long, and has serious pacing problems centered around doling out the new powers too slowly. The concept seems cool to me, but I don't think I would want to play this for much more than 6 hours if all the levels are really samey and the gameplay is not advancing.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
    edited January 2011
    One thing that's already getting old is being forced to start from the beginning of an area every time you die, retaining only experience you've earned. I died half a dozen times (mostly to those huge super-spiders) in 6F-9F last night and each time became more and more frustrated with being thrown back to square one. I can only imagine what will happen when the really complicated stuff (or tougher enemies) kicks in...

I really hate when I take a chance on an interesting looking platformer and it immediately reminds me why I tend to avoid the genre.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited January 2011
    Agreed, I just did that floor and it's fucking bullshit that you go all the way back to the start. It takes like 6 minutes to get through that because of all the combat and elevators.

Oh and for those that care, there's a death counter in this to let you know how much you suck. I have a thing about death counters and always wanting them to be 0 if possible so I had to restart my file because of it. So for anyone else who is OCD about that stuff once you die you have to reset through the home button. If you choose quit or retry it saves automatically. The thing is it's not like you're losing anything because you have to do the whole goddamn floor again anyway, so why not just reset if you hate death counters? You lose nothing except it takes an extra 5 seconds to get past the title screen. You may have to pick up memories or eyes again, but you're running through the whole stage so just get them again. Most of the time the memories are in your path or slightly off it, they just need a keen eye to spot.

Gilder on
    edited January 2011
    I just finished the Factory area and things are getting interesting. Leveled up a bit along the way (no grinding, just natural progression) and dying less, which is nice. I think I'm up to Boy #9 overall and about 10 grams when maxed.

EDIT: Now through the Reservoir. The reasons for the end-game backtracking are pretty blatant. I think I see the/a twist coming that will make use of those things, and I have mixed feelings about that.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited January 2011
    Fortunately I was wrong, and now have access to the Sun Gates (50F). Backtracking ahoy!

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the game is definitely 15+ hours on first playthrough without trying to 100% it

Got all the way up to floor 55
    Only to find a backtracking fetch quest waiting for me!

Okay, only 5 things and they tell you the floors to find them on, not so bad. I collect all the shards, put them in place and...
    ANOTHER WHOLE GODDAMN TOWER APPEARS FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Green on
    edited January 2011
    Still really early on, as I've been focusing on other games, but I just got past the factory.
    Oh Legion, you're in the wrong game! This is Hudson Soft, they don't own you! Konami has been wondering where you wandered off to.

The % counter has definitely started slowing down for me though, so it is possible it could go for a lot longer than I thought. Hooray! Although I'm pretty sure I missed some memories anyway. I found barely any in the factory aside from the spot where they bunched four of them together.

Gilder on
    edited January 2011
    Green wrote: »
    Yeah, the game is definitely 15+ hours on first playthrough without trying to 100% it

Got all the way up to floor 55
    Only to find a backtracking fetch quest waiting for me!

Okay, only 5 things and they tell you the floors to find them on, not so bad. I collect all the shards, put them in place and...
    ANOTHER WHOLE GODDAMN TOWER APPEARS FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Hmmm. Probably shouldn't have hit that second spoiler. But I'm only one shard away (had a rough time of it in B2F last night).

Hopefully there isn't a pressing need to get all 90 memories, because fuck that.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited January 2011
    HOLY CRAP, IT'S THE SHADOW CORRIDORS FROM HELL!

Yikes.

Gonna put that on hold until Thursday, methinks.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Finished with 92.9% at 13:14

It's definitely not a bad game. A few gameplay mechanics like rotating the stage are more frustrating than not, but it's got plenty of moments where everything clicks and it becomes amazing. It's also one of the prettiest games I've ever seen on the Wii.

The storyline is not quite as good. Plot (such as it is) spoilers ahead.
    What is the tower even for, anyway? I get that the shadows of the dead climb it, but why? Why are there hundreds of other towers in the very last scene?

And Spangle is a bitch. She doesn't lift a finger while your shadow gets pulled into what appears to be a fucking portal to hell.

Green on
    edited January 2011
    Rotating the stages in the shadow corridors is just flipping a coin for me. I never know what way I want stuff to move.

Gilder on
    edited January 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    Rotating the stages in the shadow corridors is just flipping a coin for me. I never know what way I want stuff to move.

Same. Fortunately it doesn't actually hurt you to guess wrong unless the wall that crushes you also has spikes/gas.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited January 2011
    Holy shit, this game was like the movie A.I. -- it never fucking ended.

Any clue why the last memory says
    You need to weigh at least 21.0g

I got really worried when I read that, but finished just fine with 70/90. Best ending, maybe?

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif