As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA The Series: Season Finale

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This was the best, just the best!

Thank you 2PP, your hard work really made this series a pleasure to watch

Usagi on
  • GeekDeluxeGeekDeluxe Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for inviting us along for the ride with this show, and the podcasts, and the blog. I'm about at the same point in my life (married, new dad, still just getting started in the world). It's an inspiration to watch you guys suceed in huge ways on a number of fronts, and, in a way, represent us - our generation - publicly. I have a lot of respect for what you've built, and I'll be a lifelong reader because of it.

GeekDeluxe on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also does Gabe have a cat? Cause it looks like their couch met one. Or a rambunctious kid I guess.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nice to see what the two come home to after work. An awesome family.

Meiz on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This was fantastic. The season, the episode, the everything.

Renzo on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also does Gabe have a cat? Cause it looks like their couch met one. Or a rambunctious kid I guess.

According to one of the podcasts, he had a cat named Oreo a few years ago at least.

KalTorak on
  • AjguyAjguy OhioRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, that was pitch perfect. I'll miss the 2PP guys and their work on the show. It was top notch.

A big thanks to everyone who made this series happen and work. It's made my Fridays, and I can't wait for more!

Ajguy on
    Grim Fandango : Best... Game... Ever!
  • ObiwanObiwan Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I promised myself I wouldn't cry. Every time someone says that phrase, they are lying. They might as well say, "I am lying to you right now. These tears stand as a testament that I am unable to keep promises."

Also fruit fucker ended the season. Look close, he's hiding behind a chair, but he's there in the last shot.

Obiwan on
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You know, I've always wanted to go to PAX, but there's always been an excuse not to go.

I always thought it would be neat to meet people from the forums and a group of people who share the same interests, and I occasionally had a passing thought for the Jerry and Mike and that it would be sort of cool to meet them.
    Now, after this series, and finally putting a face and a personality behind the online personas, I feel like I need to make it to PAX and just shake the hands of all the members of team Penny Arcade. There's so much work, passion and fun behind this website, it's incredible.

Big ups to Khoo for seeing the potential in this. If you'd said "we're making a mini series based on PA" to 100 different people, 99 of them would have said that was a dumb idea. Good thing Robert works there and wanted to show us what he saw in the people that surround him. Obviously, he found the right talent in 2PP and here we are after an absolutely great first season.

I'm rambling, but honestly, as weird as it probably sounds from a total stranger from the interwebs, thank you PA, this shit was dope.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Watching these makes being an adult seem not so bad.

KalTorak on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thoroughly enjoyed this series. It really made Fridays even more awesome than they already are.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PATV reminds me, every friday, that there is an abundance of awesome in this world and that anyone can tap into it. Thank you PA.

Oddfish on
  • Trisha LynnTrisha Lynn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    NewEnglish wrote: »
    "I just don't feel happy."

"Well, that's okay. Do you want to tell me about your feelings?"

That exchange really stuck with me. Growing up in the 80s among a very reserved family in the upper-Midwest, expressing emotions was so discouraged that I was left with only unhealthy ways of dealing with them. I think about all the emotional problems I had then and how I've carried them with me through adulthood, and I wonder how much different I would be now if only my parents had the wisdom to ask me, "Do you want to talk about your feelings?"

Thanks for the glimpse into your lives, Penny Arcade.

I also grew up in the 80s in a somewhat conservative Catholic immigrant family and it's this very lack of being able to fully express negative feelings which is part of why I'm in therapy and why a lot of my past friendships and romantic relationships fell apart.

There's other stuff, too, but that's a big part of it, and hearing her ask that of him just made my heart clench and make the rest of me go, "Yes, I wish I'd had that."

So hooray to Kara for being a sensitive mom. :)

Trisha Lynn on
    -- Editor/Publisher, GeekingOutAbout.com
    -- Publisher, Saucy Goose Press
    -- On Twitter @trishalynn
  • OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    NewEnglish wrote: »
    "I just don't feel happy."

"Well, that's okay. Do you want to tell me about your feelings?"

That exchange really stuck with me. Growing up in the 80s among a very reserved family in the upper-Midwest, expressing emotions was so discouraged that I was left with only unhealthy ways of dealing with them. I think about all the emotional problems I had then and how I've carried them with me through adulthood, and I wonder how much different I would be now if only my parents had the wisdom to ask me, "Do you want to talk about your feelings?"

Thanks for the glimpse into your lives, Penny Arcade.

I also grew up in the 80s in a somewhat conservative Catholic immigrant family and it's this very lack of being able to fully express negative feelings which is part of why I'm in therapy and why a lot of my past friendships and romantic relationships fell apart.

There's other stuff, too, but that's a big part of it, and hearing her ask that of him just made my heart clench and make the rest of me go, "Yes, I wish I'd had that."

So hooray to Kara for being a sensitive mom. :)

You see more and more of that now because we DIDN'T have that growing up. But, instead of taking the easy way out: "Well, I'm a product of my mom and dad so their lack of etc., etc.," our generation seems to be more interested in taking the bold approach. Y'know, trying new shit. Seeing if it works.

Oddfish on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are they going to release a DVD for this? If so, when??
    I don't buy many DVDs, but I would defiantly buy this.

skettios on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I must say that I have enjoyed every episode that I got to see, but this one was fantastic. I find myself a recent Dad (I was adopted into the family), and find myself wondering how this is all supposed to work. The comment about how its all made up of the small moments really hit home. It's the walk to the park, the game of cards, or the bed time story that all make up the moments that define.

Thank you both for sharing your lives with us. It has been a pleasure to get to know you better and I hope that someday I have the chance to shake your hands.

You can become a father through adoption?

edit: Also, yes. Good on the parents for being fucking decent parents and talking to their kids.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited July 2010
    Quick note - Brenna is Elliot's mom, not Kara. Though I'm sure Kara is a great mom as well.

KalTorak on
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah, jeez. Bittersweet. Heartwarming episode, but being a divorcee with two kids it had that "Ah memories... now it sucks." effect for me. Then the ending brought my spirits back up a bit, so I'll call it a wash.

2PP, excellent sirs and madams.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "What's Talents?" "It's an inference clause"

<3

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • SeanDLSeanDL Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not to be "that guy" but I'm hoping you guys are considering a blu-ray offering of this series as well. I'll buy the DVD if that's all there is, but they really did a great job filming this and it'd be a shame to only have access to the hi def versions on the website and not on disc.

Unlikely due to production costs, I know.

SeanDL on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    3 nitpicks:

webpage refers to it as episode 24
    end of video refers to it as episode 16
    opinion: the blur in with the credits hurt my eyes

haha yeah blueray would be nice, i really enjoyed the quality of the episodes resolution-wise

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I fucking love this show. Thanks, everyone involved.

LaCabra on
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, can't watch the episode because internet at deployed locations tend to be like that, but holy shit.
    Now I miss my family even more, and want to see this episode so hard.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • KuroprinnyKuroprinny Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Hi, all! Just another reader that registered for the forums so I could comment about PATV...:P

I've followed PA since the beginning: before fame and fortune; before Khoo; back when it was just two guys making comics about games in their free time. Even then, I remember your sincerity and brutal, hilarious honesty showing through in every post and panel, and I felt that, at heart, you were good people. Everything you've done over the years for gamers and the gaming community has proven that millions of times over, but PATV Season 1 has really brought that home. You guys are the best, and you've surrounded yourself with the best! It makes me proud to have followed you and supported you over the years. Whether it was donating money for webhosting via PayPal, or getting one of the slipcased copies of your very first (and now infamous) book, I felt like I wasn't just helping keep a website up - I felt like I was helping good friends. The fact that you've managed to stay humble with all that PA has become is a testament to who you are. Someday, I'd like to get to PAX so I can shake your hands and thank you in person for all that you've done. (And the gamer in me fantasizes about getting the chance some time to hang out and game with everyone at PA! :))

It's been a great 12 years, PA; here's to the next 12 - and beyond! :D

Kuroprinny on
  • UnholybagelUnholybagel Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Been reading PA pretty much since a year or so after it started back in 2000 or something. I've seen it grow with me as an angsty teen in love with video games and dirty jokes to an entity capable of representing and defining an entire genre of people. I love what the guys here at Penny Arcade represent; I love that they have created events, whether out of the goodness of their hearts or to show the world we are more than just video game lovers.

Yet I had never found a good enough reason to register and post until now. This episode was just that good. It was a glimpse into their lives in a way that makes me look forward to the years to come, to have a family of my own. It was a beautiful moment with the ending shot of Jerry and Mike, best friends back then, still best friends now. It was great.

Unholybagel on
  • daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't wait for Season 2. One of my favorite things about the Podcasts is that they were long and just rambled about hilarious shit. I hope that's what Season 2 is like.

Also, the Times 100 episode made me cry because I was so proud. So Jerry and Mike, if you're re-reading the thread, congratulations, I love you guys, and you have made so many of my days.

daniant on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what i want to post is just going to be redundant here, so i'll just say that by the end of this ep, i had the most ridiculously large grin on my face.

Jerry's right: you easily forget how people grow, but once you notice, it is AMAZING and LIFE AFFIRMING. that sounds cheesy as hell, but i can't put it any other way.

thank you 2PP for putting this together. you guys do excellent work, and if you are indeed reading this stuff, PLEASE have a panel at PAX so we can group hug you.

thank you Mike, Jerry, Khoo, all of your families, and all at the PA office for letting 2PP invade your privacy and optically and aurally harass you for our entertainment and, well, our satisfaction at seeing a group of awesome people do awesome things.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thank you so much, to both 2PP and the entire PA Staff! It has been massively entertaining to get a glimpse into the world behind the jpeg, and I am so grateful for the work you've all done. With source material like...

"I dont want to, you know, assert to young people that my lawn is not an acceptable venue."

... it's hard to go wrong, but 2PP did more than just catalog the inner workings of PA. They brought it vividly to life, right in front of our eyes. <3

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A great end to a great season. Looking forward to the next one.

Hacksaw on
  • TerraTerra Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really enjoyed this episode. It's going in my "this is why we should have kids" arsenal for my husband. Thank you so much for letting us watch.

Also, Brenna's dress was adorable! I'd love to know where she got it.

Terra on
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why do I want kids now? This doesn't make any kind of sense!! Not the kids part, but the process. I mean, totally missing a step. Guess I could adopt.

Any way, 2PP and Khoo have created a thing of beauty with PA The Series. I've learned so much, not only from the content of the series, but the quality of it as well. As a budding videographer, this is what I would aspire to. Awesome job guys!

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm jealous, I wanna be a dad. Now I just need to find a girl and have a long term meaningful relationship. It's to bad I am terrible at talking to women, they are scary creatures.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

<3

I think he was talking about "talons" and "claws".

Still adorable, though. I need to do that with my hypothetical kids one day.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    3 nitpicks:

webpage refers to it as episode 24
    end of video refers to it as episode 16
    opinion: the blur in with the credits hurt my eyes

haha yeah blueray would be nice, i really enjoyed the quality of the episodes resolution-wise

2-parters count as 1 episode in the count in the videos

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

<3

I think he was talking about "talons" and "claws".

Still adorable, though. I need to do that with my hypothetical kids one day.

Also fairly sure he said "it's like a bird's claws"

Anyway, amazing episode. Can't really say much that hasn't been said. 2PP, Mike, Jerry, Khoo and the rest of the Penny Arcade offices: You guys are simply brilliant. No other way to put it, there's not a single episode that hasn't met the gold standard and I think everyone involved with this should be proud of themselves.

This episode was especially great because I just got back from teaching Karate to the kids in my class. Made me appreciate the experience helping them out. And this just reinforces my desire to someday have kids, really that whole idea of a shared art room for both father and child is great. Can't wait to someday, hopefully, implement it in my home.

Season 2 you seem so far away...

Gatsby on
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Absolutely heartwarming! I was smiling literally the entire time!

Thanks so much to 2PP, Mike, Jerry and Robert and everyone else involved for this series.

Cannon Goose on
  • QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I cried. Just thinking of the last shot brings me close

Seeing the full credits made me cry even harder for some reason. I was just so proud of 2 Player Productions! Fucking outstanding.

/real talk

Qorzm on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Qorzm wrote: »
    I cried. Just thinking of the last shot brings me close

Seeing the full credits made me cry even harder for some reason. I was just so proud of 2 Player Productions! Fucking outstanding.

/real talk

brofist

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zoel wrote: »
    having a family is kinda nice more people should try it

While having a family can be very rewarding for the people involved, let's be frank: we have far too many people on this planet already, and any children born today are born into a world where the opportunities are rapidly diminishing for them to justify their existence in any way.

Nijhazer on
  • taolinsinternetpersonataolinsinternetpersona Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I registered just so I could say this finale was incredible. 2PP really made something happen.

I cried at the shot of Mike and Jerry at the end there. Like, real tears, alone at my computer in an empty house. I started reading penny arcade in 2001 when I was going to middle school. Now it's 2010 and I'm about to graduate college. I've grown up with PA, and seeing how Mike and Jerry's lives have changed gave me some perspective. I can't relate to wanting kids or a family. I had a crappy home life and I'm exponentially happier now that I've finally gotten out. But this episode made me realize that even though I didn't really have a family, I had my friends, my books, my skateboards, my video games, and amongst all those other things I filled my life with, I had Penny Arcade. Penny Arcade has enriched my life for almost a decade. Thanks guys.

taolinsinternetpersona on
This discussion has been closed.