As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me get rid of plasma retention.

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I've been playing a little too much Catan on my Panasonic G50 and I've got some retention now. The built in screen wipe will only stay on for about 10 minutes before it switches off (the wipe, not the TV). I looked into JPixel, but for some reason, F11 won't make it go full screen and I don't want the Windows borders burnt into my TV.

Can anyone recommend anything FREE that that will help get rid of my problem? I want to sell the TV and get a smaller LED, but selling it with retention will be a pain.

Thanks!

EDIT: for proper terminology.

Esh on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's a good chance it's not burn in, but retention. Just watch tv normally with it for about a week and it should disappear on its own.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's a good chance it's not burn in, but retention. Just watch tv normally with it for about a week and it should disappear on its own.

Retention is what I meant. My bad.

Esh on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can download break-in DVDs which are basically just different coloured slides that repeat every few seconds. The best way to clear retention though is to put your display on snow. Switch to the standard cable input without cable connected.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    You can download break-in DVDs which are basically just different coloured slides that repeat every few seconds. The best way to clear retention though is to put your display on snow. Switch to the standard cable input without cable connected.

Perfect! I know about the break in DVDs. Did that for 100 hours a while ago. I'll do the static thing when I get home today. Thanks!

Esh on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is this a plasma tv or a cell phone? If it's a cell phone, just shut it off for a while. Overnight or longer if possible. LCD's get image retention because the LC's flex when current is applied to them, too long in the same position and they end up a little stuck, but just need some time off to return to their normal position.

If it's a plasma screen or TV, the other guys have you covered pretty well. Worst case scenario if it's a newer TV, I've heard Panasonic's expanded their warranty in recent years to cover burn in.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Is this a plasma tv or a cell phone? If it's a cell phone, just shut it off for a while. Overnight or longer if possible. LCD's get image retention because the LC's flex when current is applied to them, too long in the same position and they end up a little stuck, but just need some time off to return to their normal position.

If it's a plasma screen or TV, the other guys have you covered pretty well. Worst case scenario if it's a newer TV, I've heard Panasonic's expanded their warranty in recent years to cover burn in.

He says the word "TV" multiple times in the OP, and I doubt he's using a cell phone for a display with Windows.

Are there even plasma screen cell phones on the market?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited August 2010

He says the word "TV" multiple times in the OP, and I doubt he's using a cell phone for a display with Windows.

The static got rid of the retention in about 30 minutes. Now to figure out how much to sell this thing for...

Esh on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I doubt it, but OP has a few mixed up terms. Panasonic G50 is a cell phone, I guess maybe it's a TV too. Some cell phones use windows mobile. It wasn't a stretch at all to ask in case he was just writing funny.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I doubt it, but OP has a few mixed up terms. Panasonic G50 is a cell phone, I guess maybe it's a TV too. Some cell phones use windows mobile. It wasn't a stretch at all to ask in case he was just writing funny.

I don't think I'd mix up the terms TV and cellphone. :P I did get the model number screwed around though. It's a P50G10.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Esh wrote: »

I don't think I'd mix up the terms TV and cellphone. :P I did get the model number screwed around though. It's a P50G10.

I wouldn't be nit picky, but I shit you not, I'll point at the computer at work and be like 'hard drive' and one of the guys at work will just say 'yeah' with a totally straight face. He honestly believes it.

Rule 1 of fixing shit is knowing exactly what you're dealing with.

And it isn't anything personal, just never assume anything when something is going wrong or you're asking to find out it was a 5 min fix after hours of messing around.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png