As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dungeon Siege 3 - Obsidian's action RPG (NSF 56k)

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Brian wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time discerning what is happening in that first picture.

Hot-Steppin' whirlwind. It's part of the "Breakdance Beatdown" skills tree.

In any case, being one of the people who really loved Alpha Protocol, I can get behind obsidian doing this. Although I suspect Chris Avellone's not really on this project in any real role, I think he's still tied up with Fallout.

subedii on
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yoshua wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Will the game have goblin grenade launchers and assault cannons like the first one :)

They better keep the who seamless no loading ever thing, that was pretty much Dungeon Siege's 'big deal' back in the day.

It's actually pretty much confirmed that a similiar concept will be used with the times.

Not sure if you're replying to the first, second, or both parts. But there better be some goblins this time, I couldn't play 2 knowing they left out the goblins and nifty goblin weapons (well you outgrew them quickly anyways, but they were still fun for awhile).

The goblin area in the first was my favorite area in the game. Though the rock monster that shot lasers at you were pretty cool too.

I replied about the loading times. As far as goblins go there is no information whatsoever.

C2B on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I only have one good memory of Dungeon Siege and that's that it brought me into the world of forums. It was the GameSpy Dungeon Siege board and I was on it till the game released but then didn't get the game till way later after release (game really sucked compared to what this board hyped it to).

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    subedii wrote: »

In any case, being one of the people who really loved Alpha Protocol, I can get behind obsidian doing this. Although I suspect Chris Avellone's not really on this project in any real role, I think he's still tied up with Fallout.

I already wrote you a pm but just to make it clear. George Ziets is Creative Lead on this one. The same guy who had the role on Mask of the Betrayer. So it's a more than worthy substitute.

C2B on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really enjoyed the first Dungeon Siege for a few reasons:

One: the UI improvements over Diablo. Automatic aggression/self-defense ranged attack modes? No endless clicking? Potion-sipping? Automatic inventory sorting? Yes, please.

Two: the seamless environment loading. Once the gameplay starts, there are no load screens. Even if you use a teleporter, you fly up into the sky and then descend at the new locale.

Three: (the greatest reason) The Utraean Peninsula. The multiplayer map design was a work of GENIUS. Single player, what's that? The Kingdom of Ehb is small and linear. You could instead solo in multi-mode and the game map was infinitely better. All the areas linked together by un-obvious paths which you would inevitably criss-cross later on if you were just following the signposts. The map was interconnected with all the awesomeness of the best Metroidvanias. Secrets abounded and it was fun to simply explore.

Four: The free Yesterhaven expansion was pretty darn fun. It reminded me of playing some of the better user-created modules for NWN.

The skill/attribute leveling system wasn't very easy, though.

I tried the demo of Dungeon Siege 2 but skipped it entirely when I learned they had forgone making a multiplayer map.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Did you find the secret tower in the Northern Forest / the secret pyramid leading to Paradise and the final dungeon equivalent?

I went in after finding the entrance in the looping desert with my brother, not realizing we were doing it backwards. It was pretty great.

Xagar on
    edited August 2010
    subedii wrote: »

I already wrote you a pm but just to make it clear. George Ziets is Creative Lead on this one. The same guy who had the role on Mask of the Betrayer. So it's a more than worthy substitute.

Well I never played NWN so I'll just take your word on that. :P

subedii on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just noticed the winding path in the silver-fish-man screen shot. Knowing this is Dungeon Siege, I'm pretty sure you get to wander into that background (and down through the deeper cave passage pictured as well), and this excites me.

Here's hoping the game maps are as good as the Utraean Peninsula. D.S. has never exactly been about its narrative quality, I mean ... it's one of Diablo's kin, the idea is to smash hordes of enemies and gear up. It's more closely related to Phantasy Star Online than it is, say, Pool of Radiance.

Sure Obsidian could change the nature of the game, and I'd love to play another classy fantasy story like Mask of the Betrayer. Thing is, the only truly unique thing the series had going for it was the way its game worlds and gameplay flowed. There was nothing quite like the real sense of exploration joined with a (fairly optimized) simple and fun hack 'n slash experience. I missed the opportunity to play the original with together with friends. If Obsidian turns out another strong Single-Player game, it will still be a good thing, but we really would be losing an interesting multiplayer experience that I feel should have been built upon instead of sacrificed.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really enjoyed Dungeon Siege 2. The action was fun, and the side quests and exploration aspects were interesting and rewarding.

The production values aren't comparable to a Blizzard game, but it's a blast to play co-op.

It's a flawed gem.

Shujaa on
  • dowondowon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    dowon on
    edited August 2010
    WOW. That looks sweet. I'm impressed.

C2B on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Agreed, I submit to the quality of those screenshots. As long as they are in game shots and not bullshots of course.

But I will remain cautiously optimistic as well. I like Obsidian stories, but I expect flaws in their games.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah those look terrific. The lead programmer and designer are the guys who did mask of the betrayer so I am very optimistic about this. Next couple of years are going to be great for arpg fans.

corin7 on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah yes, forgot about MotB. Great game. Hope they can bring back some of that magic.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    edited August 2010
    Agreed, I submit to the quality of those screenshots. As long as they are in game shots and not bullshots of course.

But I will remain cautiously optimistic as well. I like Obsidian stories, but I expect flaws in their games.

I would honestly have problems to name a wrpg in the last decade that hadn't a major issue in some areas and wasn't made by Bioware. (Though I personally have my fair share of nitpicking with some of their games)

Anyway, it's honestly a reason why I'm such a Obsidian whore. If a game exceeds in storytelling I usually forget to care about bugs or gameplay too much. Which is why I was never really dissappointed with the company till now.

(Also I think all of them deserve a brofist)

It would be nice though if beginning with Bethesda and New Vegas and continuing with Square Enix and Dungeon Siege the time has come where Obsidian doesn't get yearly raped by publishers.

C2B on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks good. Maybe it'll be at a good price by the time that I finish DS2.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited August 2010
    There are new infos regarding gameplay:

- Dialougewheel like in ME and AP. Also there's C&C and Story doesn't take a seatpack. Focus is still Dungeoning though. Also DS3 will have refrences to the first two games
    - There are classes and battle stances in the game
    - It's an action battle system meaning you can press/click to attack. When attacking a focus meter fills to use special attacks. If you have an orb too the attack gets even stronger.

Meaning: you have an 180° fire special attack. With orb it changes to a full fledged 360° one.

-You can set up waypoints for better orientation.

- You can make portals to get to another location. As soon as you enter the portal you're in a little dungeon and have to fight it for a short time till you reach the other portal which takes you to your destination.

And there are lots of other infos. I'm really getting excited for this.

C2B on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's supposedly a teaser trailer floating around.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    There's supposedly a teaser trailer floating around.

It's the same that was posted in this thread before.

C2B on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sure is pretty-lookin'.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited August 2010
    Ah, that's why I couldn't find it. I was mentally filtering those out as old

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've never played Dungeon Siege, but I like Obsidian. Guess I'll give it a go when it comes out.

Transdimensional Whale on
    edited August 2010
    Also this is made with Obsidian's own engine Onyx. So, the best attempt at getting a relativly bug free game from them.

C2B on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

- You can make portals to get to another location. As soon as you enter the portal you're in a little dungeon and have to fight it for a short time till you reach the other portal which takes you to your destination.

I feel like I played another game like this and it just got annoying.

captaink on
    edited August 2010
    captaink wrote: »

It's really just a 30 seconds linear path if I understood it right. Also please note that these are not final details.

C2B on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    captaink wrote: »

It's really just a 30 seconds linear path if I understood it right. Also please note that these are not final details.

I'm sure it will be fine. I really just wish I could remember which game it was.

captaink on
    edited August 2010

Nathanial Chapman already confirmed AA. :)
    You will be able to make the game look much, much better on PC than it will on consoles, much like other cross platform games. The game looks amazing at 2560x1440 with FSAA and AF cranked, and that is something that you can't do on consoles. Seeing as the game is in pre alpha, and our featureset isn't even locked down, I wouldn't get too worried yet about what we will and won't support on a given platform :D

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a souped up PC at home (which is why I know how it looks at those ridiculous settings) and I advocate for our PC versions to be scalable graphically. It's something that I do feel is very important.

C2B on
    edited August 2010
    Wonder why are the articles are from french and german sites. I mean, I know it's in germany, but all the big sites are there too

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Wonder why are the articles are from french and german sites. I mean, I know it's in germany, but all the big sites are there too

Edit: Read your post wrong.

C2B on
  • LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a lot of fond memories of both the first and second game (My dad, brother and myself played through both from start to finish) so I have high hopes for this. Gona have to wait and see though and try not to get too excited or anything.

Lagnar on
    edited August 2010
    The targeting system will essentialy work like Ninja Gaiden 2's.

Combine that with what we know about the battle system and the moves in the screenshots including Ninja Chick:

Dungeon Siege 3: A Ninja Gaiden RPG confirmed

Combine that with 4 player on- and offline co-op.

Dammit Obsidian. If you fuck up the netcode on this I will steal your children and sell them to Bioware.

C2B on
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I liked both the dungeon siege games. Cool.

MindLib on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also this is made with Obsidian's own engine Onyx. So, the best attempt at getting a relativly bug free game from them.

Welp. There went any chance of this running well, looking good for the time, and working for more than an hour at a time.

Brian on
    edited August 2010
    Assuming the screenshots are real, it already looks pretty freaking good.

subedii on
    edited August 2010

Welp. There went any chance of this running well, looking good for the time, and working for more than an hour at a time.

Already disproven on the screenshots.

I honestly see it as the complete opposite. A engine you know better is an engine you can work with better. Also the engine itself was in development for 4+ years. (And would have originally been used for the Alien's Rpg)

We'll see.

Edit: Also I have to take something back. It's not a Dialogwheel but a tree. And I mean literary a tree.

C2B on
    edited August 2010
    There's actually some talented artists doing this looking over it. (Most of them worked on MOTB and SOZ which imo didn't look bad from the art)

Most exciting is probably that guy doing the Concept art for the enviroment:

http://charlesleeconcept.blogspot.com/

C2B on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just want my Combat mage shooting out Lighting bolts that also do Frost dammage because of my Nature Mage. Also, the bolts freeze their target.

That was the best thing in Dungeon Siege 2.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are they really taking the focus away from party crawls? That was basically the only gimmick Dungeon Siege had going for it.

And also one of its biggest faults. But still.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't really get into Dungeon Siege, but an Obsidian-developed action RPG is relevant to my interests, and damn if those screenshots aren't beautiful.

Cautiously optimistic.

Silas Brown on