As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E Discussion] Click to affirm Infidel is amazing.

• smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    I really like some of these mechanics that Dark Sun is introducing. I think I am going to shoehorn most of the mechanics into Birth, my tabletop game and Legends of Novus, my PbP game. Themes are awesome and the defiler can be expanded on to give someone a great necromancers sort of feel.
    The defiler feat is kinda wonky. You only get the expanded crit range if you do the reroll? I guess it reflects the nature of the magic, I just think the damage far outweighs the benefit but I imagine some party will make it work.

I'm more excited about metal weapons being base +3 weapons!

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    I really like some of these mechanics that Dark Sun is introducing. I think I am going to shoehorn most of the mechanics into Birth, my tabletop game and Legends of Novus, my PbP game. Themes are awesome and the defiler can be expanded on to give someone a great necromancers sort of feel.
    The defiler feat is kinda wonky. You only get the expanded crit range if you do the reroll? I guess it reflects the nature of the magic, I just think the damage far outweighs the benefit but I imagine some party will make it work.

It's an at-will free action, and it says "You can reroll", so I'm guessing you make the roll for your daily and if it would end up as a crit in the expanded range, you can choose to apply Arcane Defiling since the trigger is the initial attack roll.

(Just my interpretation because otherwise it doesn't make any sense to me)

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

It's an at-will free action, and it says "You can reroll", so I'm guessing you make the roll for your daily and if it would end up as a crit in the expanded range, you can choose to apply Arcane Defiling since the trigger is the initial attack roll.

(Just my interpretation because otherwise it doesn't make any sense to me)

This is what I assumed as well. If you get an 19, slap the defiler on it to make it a crit.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I guess that's technically true but that's some ridiculous-ass wording. So would you still do damage to your allies if you triggered Arcane Defiling to get the expanded crit from the feat, but didn't use the reroll?

(Ugh.)

Edit: I guess for anyone who isn't reading the article:

Arcane Defiling
    At-Will Arcane, Necrotic
    Free Action Personal
    Trigger: You make an attack roll or a damage roll as part of an arcane daily attack power. Effect: You can reroll the triggering roll but must use the second result. In addition, each ally (willing or unwilling) within 20 squares of you takes necrotic damage equal to half his or her healing surge value. This damage ignores immunities and cannot be reduced in any way. Special: You can use this effect once for any arcane daily attack power you use, affecting any single attack roll or the damage roll for that power.

Defiling Adept
    Prerequisite: 11th level, arcane defiling power
    Benefit: When you use an arcane daily attack power with arcane defiling, that attack can score a critical hit on a roll of 19–20. The critical range increases to 18–20 at 21st level.

smeej on
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Validity wrote: »
    also, I mean, that sort of punishes certain players in a round about way.

example- in the game I was playing that recently ended in divorce, I was the leader, and smeej was the tank. tank's skills were athletics, endurance and I think intimidate.

my skills were athletics, history, and character interaction skills- diplomacy, bluff, intimidate.

we basically got to sit on our butts during most skill challenges within a dungeon, because it'd end up being religion or thievery or stealth or something else we didn't have. Which is fine, everyone needs time to let their character shine, so to speak.

but the simple fact is that we were rarely going to be involved in the skill challenges, so it would have been a recurring source of xp for other characters, not us.

This kinda hits at the heart of the matter. In D&D, everyone's character is built around a particular role. Some characters have more skills, some do more damage, some take more damage, some act to hinder the enemy, etc.

If you start breaking down exactly who did what and to what magnitude, then you start breaking apart the point of a group based game.

ironzerg on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I guess that's technically true but that's some ridiculous-ass wording. So would you still do damage to your allies if you triggered Arcane Defiling to get the expanded crit from the feat, but didn't use the reroll?

(Ugh.)

Edit: I guess for anyone who isn't reading the article:

Arcane Defiling
    At-Will Arcane, Necrotic
    Free Action Personal
    Trigger: You make an attack roll or a damage roll as part of an arcane daily attack power.
    Effect: You can reroll the triggering roll but must use the second result. In addition, each ally (willing or unwilling) within 20 squares of you takes necrotic damage equal to half his or her healing surge value. This damage ignores immunities and cannot be reduced in any way.
    Special: You can use this effect once for any arcane daily attack power you use, affecting any single attack roll or the damage roll for that power.

Defiling Adept
    Prerequisite: 11th level, arcane defiling power
    Benefit: When you use an arcane daily attack power with arcane defiling, that attack can score a critical hit on a roll of 19–20. The critical range increases to 18–20 at 21st level.

I would say you still do the damage if you use Arcane Defliing regardless of whether you do or do not reroll the attack, since in this case the reroll isn't the entire benefit of the ability.

Chanus on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    you can render the whole question moot by using other elements of the power--

"Trigger: You make an attack roll or a damage roll as part of an arcane daily attack power. Effect: You can reroll the triggering roll but must use the second result. In addition, each ally (willing or unwilling) within 20 squares of you takes necrotic damage equal to half his or her healing surge value. This damage ignores immunities and cannot be reduced in any way."

A. can--not must.
    B. Allies take damage regardless of the re-roll
    C. Well, if you rolled a 19 on your attack, you can just apply the re-roll to your dmg if you have a jerk DM who won't let you not take the re-roll. Won't matter because you're going to do max damage anyway.

streever on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    god i hate the character builder so much

Every other week it craps out, forces me to reinstall, and then it won't update

What a shitheap

interrobang on
    edited August 2010
    I have had zero problems with it ever. Hrmm.

Chanus on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Same here. Maybe you should try reinstalling your .NET or something?

Terrendos on
  • TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    god i hate the character builder so much

Every other week it craps out, forces me to reinstall, and then it won't update

What a shitheap

Are you installing it as administrator? The only time I had problems with it was when I had it running in an emulated OS (Virtualbox). Now that I run it in Win7, As long as you install/update as an administrator it has worked fine for me.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
    edited August 2010
    And now I've somehow managed to use up all my allotted updates for this month, when I actually haven't updated a single goddamn thing.

Time to email customer service again. Ugh.

interrobang on
    edited August 2010
    And now I've somehow managed to use up all my allotted updates for this month, when I actually haven't updated a single goddamn thing.

Yeah, I've heard of that happening.

Though, bright side I guess, I've also heard they will let you download if you talk to them without a lot of arm wringing.

Chanus on
    edited August 2010

Yeah, I've heard of that happening.

Though, bright side I guess, I've also heard they will let you download if you talk to them without a lot of arm wringing.

It's happened to me before and yeah, they're pretty lenient about it. They just ask for your security question and stuff before they reset the limit.

I guess they're used to it happening by now

interrobang on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dark Sun Adventure!

The Free RPG day Dark Sun adventure is up on wizards site for download. Has a good couple of pages just explaining stuff about the Dark Sun setting. Good stuff. Hadn't seen it mentioned yet.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dark Sun Adventure!

The Free RPG day Dark Sun adventure is up on wizards site for download. Has a good couple of pages just explaining stuff about the Dark Sun setting. Good stuff. Hadn't seen it mentioned yet.

Nifty, thanks for linking. I was disappointed that they only had the pregen characters up for the longest time after Free RPG day was over.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As I recall, a desire for -benders comes up in this thread every so often.

No seriously, check that out. I like some of the water- and earthbender mechanics a lot.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Eh, it's okay I guess. The Waterbending heal seems overpowered, granting additional healing and a saving throw. Firebending's Striker damage isn't very thematic; it seems to me like it ought to do more damage at the beginning of the encounter and weaken slowly every turn as the character gets tired.

Terrendos on
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The saving throw's probably to try and make up for the fact that the power is always five squares smaller than the healing powers of other leaders. I was concentrating on the concept of the class' Flowing attacks, though.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • BruhahaBruhaha Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I've just discovered all the Essentials hapablap. Is this going to change the game for the better? For the worse? Opinion seems to be so divided and I don't really know what to think. o_O

Bruhaha on
    edited August 2010
    Bruhaha wrote: »
    So I've just discovered all the Essentials hapablap. Is this going to change the game for the better? For the worse? Opinion seems to be so divided and I don't really know what to think. o_O

hopefully it will just be a change that one can ignore ;-)

streever on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    what the shit

n342253.jpg

if elminster does not actually die at the end of this book

i am going to make ed greenwood wish he was never born

where the hell is Arivia anyway

she probably has his address and dossier on him

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • BruhahaBruhaha Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    streever wrote: »

True, true. :)

I have a clutch of new players and I was looking forward to the Essentials line as a good way to introduce them to the game. I'll play wait and see, of course.

Bruhaha on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    what the shit

[Image Here]

you answered your own question! ;p

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited August 2010

I have a clutch of new players and I was looking forward to the Essentials line as a good way to introduce them to the game. I'll play wait and see, of course.

From what I can tell, it's just sort of a "Basics" set with some pre-determined class builds included to get players started... I don't think there are any actual rule changes or anything like that (though they do seem to incorporate all the errata).

Then again, this is the third or fourth interpretation I've come up with because they've been pretty shit about releasing actual coherent details.

Chanus on
    edited August 2010
    what the shit

n342253.jpg

you answered your own question! ;p

oh damnit
    Arivia wrote: »
    Yep, I'm totally mafia.

Sorry, had my hands full of dick all weekend so phalla was a secondary priority.

it all makes sense now

ARIVIA THIS IS YOUR FAULT ISN'T IT

(special thanks to forumer Ringo for sigging that)

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited August 2010

It looks like they have new class builds which are "easier", but only because the martial characters become weird/boring.

Do what they didn't do: build a fighter, rogue, bow ranger, wizard, and cleric. (if you feel really ambitious, build a warlord that they can pick instead of the cleric). Basically, 2 strikers and one of each other role.

Choose their powers/feats to have synergy with each other--i.e. really bring home the team aspect. Make them level 1. Stat them out up to level 3 or 5, depending on how new the players are.

Then run them through an adventure. Make sure to give them power cards, and just in general make it as easy as possible. Let them play with their back stories but not their powers. Don't even show them the powers lists and feats lists. Just give them the combat rules & do a game with a good mix of combat and roleplay.

streever on
  • ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Horseshoe - Apparently there's some twitter contest going on now, where you write 140 characters on Elminster dies. Or something. Haven't been able to find it yet.

Yeah, I'm sorta back.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • ValidityValidity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    regarding the bending book.

the earthbending one didn't seem to have an actual mark to it, you just buff an ally and mark against something that hits them.

I don't mean to get all Melvin Mechanics on yah, but that's a pretty steep dropoff from the fighter mark and the like.

I'd like something like "mark an enemy, and if they attack anyone but the earthbender, they get "reprisal of the earth" and get an attack role against them. if it hits, they take Con mod. damage and and take a total of -5 to the attack."

Validity on
    edited August 2010
    ravensmuse wrote: »
    Horseshoe - Apparently there's some twitter contest going on now, where you write 140 characters on Elminster dies. Or something. Haven't been able to find it yet.

Yeah, I'm sorta back.

can i just write "Elminster Dies" until I'm up to 140 characters?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited August 2010

Yeah, I'm sorta back.

EEEEEEEEEllllllllllmmmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnsssssssssstttttttttteeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr DDDDDDDDDDiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeessssssssss

Chanus on
    edited August 2010

Yeah, I'm sorta back.

EEEEEEEEEllllllllllmmmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnsssssssssstttttttttteeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr DDDDDDDDDDiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeessssssssss
    You'll never win...

... that's only 130 characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xwoucDNCT4

smeej on
    edited August 2010
    <3 the Young Ones.

Chanus on
    edited August 2010
    Vyv rules.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My next D&D4e character idea...
    conan_fowl.jpg

Rius on
    edited August 2010
    That poor chicken...

Chanus on
    edited August 2010
    Done properly, that chicken would be a thrown weapon as well.

Rius on
    edited August 2010
    that chicken was forged in the fires of battle

pity those whom he hits

(especially the dudes with bare butts. they don't stand a chance against his peckin' of doom. or the big burly man.)

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I can't look at that without cracking up. I mean, the chicken is so straight-edged, braced for impact

Rius on
    edited August 2010
    the chicken is screaming battle-cries as well

fear his buck-buckawk that heralds your doom

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
This discussion has been closed.