As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Un]Official PA WH40K Gaming League! Season 2: The Escalation!

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I am having a hard time imagining why that would be different from just taking another block.
    If you explain it to me maybe we will go to a higher point total core after week 4.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
  • SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is certainly...something...

Block 1 500
    Rune Priest
    Wolf Tail
    Living Lightning
    Jaws of the WW

9x Grey Hunters

Rhino

10x Grey Hunters
    Meltagun x2
    Power Fist
    Wolf Std

Rhino

Block 2 250
    Long Fangs x6
    SL
    Flamer
    Melta Bombs
    3x Missile
    2x Heavy Bolt

Long Fangs x5
    SL
    Melta Bombs
    2x Heavy
    2x Missile

Block 3 240
    Wolf Scouts x10
    Melta Bombs
    2x Power Weapons
    Melta Gun

Block 4 250
    Vindicator
    Hunter Killer
    Extra Armor

Dreadnought
    Wolftooth

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ElderCat wrote: »
    I am having a hard time imagining why that would be different from just taking another block.
    If you explain it to me maybe we will go to a higher point total core after week 4.

Because I would like to add a special character. I can juggle some points around and see what I can come up with instead of begging for moar points.

Pollo, when are you down for a game?

Extreaminatus on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dumbass question (especially as I played in the first league)
    How do I load one of the pre-done maps?
    Load game? Which folder are they in?

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    'Load Game' and looked for the folder full of Vassal saved games

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, Ex ended up making us a battlefield :)

Dayspring on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Because I would like to add a special character. I can juggle some points around and see what I can come up with instead of begging for moar points.

I'm open anytime. You want to play sometime tomorrow?

This should be interesting, since I know absolutely nothing about Dark Eldar. I'm going to ask lots of questions.

PolloDiablo on
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd be down any time after 4pm tomorrow. And yeah, Dark Eldar can be a little confusing with their massive amounts of war gear, so feel free to ask away.

Extreaminatus on
  • SmurfySmurfy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aight, here we go, I chose Sistas (Witch Hunters)!

[Core]

HQ: Palatine - Bolter, Krak Grenades -39

TR: 10 Battle Sisters - 2 Melta, Veteran Sister Superior - Bolter, Krak Grenades
    Transport: Rhino -199

EL: 5 Celestians - 2 Melta
    Transport: Immolator -150

HVY: Immolator - Smoke Launchers -68

=455=
    [Block 1]
    TR: 5 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers - 2 Melta -70

HVY: Immolator -65

=295=
    [Block 2]

TR: 5 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers - 2 Melta -70

=230=
    [Block 3]
    TR: 10 Battle Sisters - 2 Melta, Veteran Sister Superior - Bolter, Krak Grenades, Book of St Lucius
    Transport: Rhino -201

HVY: Immolator -65

=269=
    [Block 4]
    TR: Inducted Imperial Guard Platoon -

Platoon Command Squad - 4 Flamers
    2x Infantry Squads - Heavy Weapons Team: Autocannon
    1x 3 Heavy Weapons Teams: Autocannons -250

=250=

Smurfy on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    (edit)

Ok, I fixed my list.

Here we are!

I probably should have looked it over closer to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

Sharp101 on
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the game Day!

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
    edited August 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    (edit)

Ok, I fixed my list.

Here we are!

I probably should have looked it over closer to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

Well... that's fine, but you COULD have a third block of 250 to choose from.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
  • AtriusNightAtriusNight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Greetings all, this is my first post here, I joined because a friend had mentioned this league and I was hoping to join, then it turned out that I was already too late..... but since I'm here, I may as well ask if there's a spot for someone to join in at this juncture in time.... I generally play Orkz

AtriusNight on
    edited August 2010
    We just started, and actually have an odd number, so if you want to join we would have an even number! Just let me know you time zone and get to work on your list. I am the odd man out so just let me know when you could get a game in.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
    edited August 2010
    Awesome, list posted shortly, I'm on Eastern Standard Time....

AtriusNight on
    edited August 2010
    (edit)

Ok, I fixed my list.

Here we are!

Well... that's fine, but you COULD have a third block of 250 to choose from.

Oh yeah!

Sharp101 on
    edited August 2010
    Ok, thats fixed.

I'm just trying a "marine units I wanted to try" list. So it has a bit of everything and only two troop choices.

Sharp101 on
    edited August 2010

Alright folks, after playing around with a list for a while, I have decided to raise the core to 750 on the 5th week instead of giving you another block that week. so when you remake your lists after your week 4 game, your core will raise to 750 points, with 4 blocks to choose from.

Week1: Core +3 blocks. Use the Core and 1 block to make a 750 point (or less) list (obeying the standard force org chart) based on who your opponent is.
    Week2: Core +3 blocks. Use the Core and 1 block to make a 750 point (or less) list.
    Week3: Core +4 blocks. Use the Core and 2 blocks to make a 1000 point (or less) list.
    Week4: Core +4 blocks. Use the Core and 2 blocks to make a 1000 point (or less) list.
    Now you may change your list.
    You may edit your Core (now up to 750 points) and your blocks to streamline it, or add a more effective unit for the higher points cost battles for the 2nd half of the League.
    Week5: Core +4 blocks. Use the Core and 2 blocks to make a 1250 point (or less) list.
    Week6: Core +4 blocks. Use the Core and 2 blocks to make a 1250 point (or less) list.
    Week7: Core +5 blocks. Use the Core and 3 blocks to make a 1500 point (or less) list.
    Week8: Core +5 blocks. Use the Core and 3 blocks to make a 1500 point (or less) list.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gabriel_Pitt............v.............TheLawinator

Lawintor wins!

BARELY.

It was a tough game. My list only has twenty-one models in it, and by turn two, although my bikes had crashed into his lines, rain of plasma and demolisher fire had depleted me to 1/8 my starting force. Then my last biker, scouts, and apothecary died, leaving just my bike captain, all by himself. At which point, Lawinator's master of ordnance dropped an earthshaker round that scattered SQUARE onto the command squad, killing everyone except the commander.

That was the end of turn two.

The game did not end until turn five, when I rolled a natural 2 to end the game, my lone captain just out of position to zoom in and contest the single objective Lawinator's remaining veteran squad was able to control. That captain LITERALLY shrugged off more fire than it took to obliterate the rest of my army. Two hydras fired on him for three turns straight, and he considered it a pleasing showed. :D

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited August 2010
    Done sorry for the delay.....

Core
    Wyrdboy 55
    Warphead 30

30 Ork 'Ard Boyz 300
    Nob Upgrade 10
    Powerklaw 25
    Bosspole 5

18 Grots 54
    2 Grot Herdaz 20

====499

Block 1
    Deff Dread 75
    2 Skorchaz 10
    Grot Riggerz 5
    Armor Plates 10

3 Killa Kan 105
    3 Rokkit Launcha 45

====250

Block 2
    (Mo'Dakka) Big Mek 35
    PowerKlaw 25
    Shok Attack Gun 60
    Cyborkbody 10
    Attack Squig 15

Deff Dread 75
    2 Dread Weaponz 30

====250

Block 3
    15 Tankbustaz 225
    3 Bomb Squigz 15

====240

AtriusNight on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gabriel_Pitt............v.............TheLawinator

Lawintor wins!

BARELY.

It was a tough game. My list only has twenty-one models in it, and by turn two, although my bikes had crashed into his lines, rain of plasma and demolisher fire had depleted me to 1/8 my starting force. Then my last biker, scouts, and apothecary died, leaving just my bike captain, all by himself. At which point, Lawinator's master of ordnance dropped an earthshaker round that scattered SQUARE onto the command squad, killing everyone except the commander.

That was the end of turn two.

The game did not end until turn five, when I rolled a natural 2 to end the game, my lone captain just out of position to zoom in and contest the single objective Lawinator's remaining veteran squad was able to control. That captain LITERALLY shrugged off more fire than it took to obliterate the rest of my army. Two hydras fired on him for three turns straight, and he considered it a pleasing showed. :D

That captain was infuriating and you should give him special treatment in your future armies.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, even though it was a digital incarnation, something needs to be done to commemorate this. Maybe stitch bullet impacts around the base throwing up dirt, or something, the captain still unconcerned.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited August 2010
    Slapnuts wrote: »
    Thanks for the game Day!

To clarify, Slapnuts won the battle
    Things I learned:
    1) Pathfinders are not very good if they have no-one to shoot at
    2) I hate rhinos
    3) Space Vikings beat Space Clowns in close combat

Dayspring on
    edited August 2010
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Slapnuts wrote: »
    Thanks for the game Day!

To clarify, Slapnuts won the battle
    Things I learned:
    1) Pathfinders are not very good if they have no-one to shoot at
    2) I hate rhinos
    3) Space Vikings beat Space Clowns in close combat

On another note, Day was a class act in putting up with the fact that I hadn't used Vassal before. So I thank him for that.

Slapnuts on
  • HuntzyHuntzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is my list

Huntzy on
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Here's my list from the Old Thread copied here:

Susan's Necrons
    500 Points:
    2-10 Warrior Squads (360pts) and 1 ResLord (140pts)

Block 1:
    5x Destroyers (250pts)

Block 2:
    Monolith (235 pts)

Block 3:
    11-Warrior Squad (198pts)

I'd also like to congratulate Smurfy on his fairly decisive victory last night. He nobly put up with me being a newb with VASSAL and a lackluster opponent in general, though I'm working hard on improving both those fronts for future games 8-) . I'm definitely looking forward to having more than 3 units on the field, too...

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    edited August 2010
    Huntzy wrote: »
    This is my list

Hmm, this could be troublesome. Not a fan of facing BA :P

Are those 5 man squads in the razorbacks? With no Sgt upgrades?

Sharp101 on
    edited August 2010
    Huntzy wrote: »
    This is my list

Hmm, this could be troublesome. Not a fan of facing BA :P

Are those 5 man squads in the razorbacks? With no Sgt upgrades?

Yup i'm 500 on the nose with my core
    we're playing 6:30 my time right

Huntzy on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I played my game with Extreaminatus today. It was a victory for the Imperial Guard.

Although not by much. He got on the objectives in the first turn, and it took the rest of the game to dislodge him, and even then his guys fought to the last man.

I think it would have gone the other way had his luck held out. The dice were really against him. My hellhound took a pair of lances every turn, and was still alive at the end. His HQ also had the bad luck to crash land right in front of a platoon of guardsmen.

It was a fun game, and really made me scared of the dark eldar.

PolloDiablo on
    edited August 2010
    Sharp and I tied

Huntzy on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mazzy wins! 4kp to 2kp, great game. Chaos managed to defeat the bunker, but both sides were greatly reduced in number.

I'm going to have to do up a special ork model to commemorate the single ork left from one mob who just wouldn't fail a moral check!

Heffling on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Victory goes to Chaos! 4 kp to 2 in a dawn of war annihilation game. Burnas are now on my top 10 scary units especially in a battle wagon.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • RenegadeAceRenegadeAce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love me some 40K, is it to late to hop into this league?

RenegadeAce on
  • SmurfySmurfy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As I recall, we just even'd up, but you're more than free to get the program and everything set up and can get games on the side to learn the program until we can accept you in? :)

As for Susan: Was trying to help ya with tactics against me. You could have done really well if you Immobilized my Transports before they crossed the field, as well as using your Jetbikes mobility/range to their advantage. (I capitalized on them separating from your forces, something you could tell when i all jumped on them in the turn they got too close.)

If you merely did that, and used a Warrior block to block my movement past the immobilized vehicles, it would have been a draw. Sisters don't like charges, as you saw. So much so that your HQ could just go solo and be a wrecking ball in assaults while the rest of the Troops focus on the Mission Objective. (Your flag.)

So, I am trying to help, really!

Smurfy on
  • RenegadeAceRenegadeAce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah well, hopefully one more person hops out of the wood work so we can even up, *hint*

In the meantime, anyone up for a game?

RenegadeAce on
    edited August 2010
    Well I hope that someone else joins because the more the merrier. But I will definitely put you on the wait list in case someone has to drop out.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
    edited August 2010
    Anyone up for a game right now?

Heffling on
    edited August 2010
    Sure.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will watch you guys. Not sure I am in the mood to play. But who knows.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited August 2010
    Great, I'm on Vassals right now.

Heffling on